Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I work evening shift, like 14 - 22, and the good thing is, since I'm single with no kids, I can always sleep as long as my existential dread and fear of loneliness allow. :coolfish:

Could work out before work too but never do, it's after work, and then go to sleep at like 3 AM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Current research suggests that the lasting fatigue from normal resistance training is from muscle damage and not anything to do with the CNS. CNS returns to base line about 24 hours after a bout of resistance training.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
There's a Dr Mike story where he got corrected by his famously cranky exercise science professor for saying neural fatigue, because really he just meant fatigue

Some studies show your CNS recovers to baseline after like 20 minutes

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean yeah... The poster I was responding to was talking about how a deadlift amrap set slammed him and his accessory lifts immediately following felt weak.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

TenementFunster posted:

i hate squats. are they not as awful for manlets or something?

Are you "all legs"? Squats are more about proportions than height. I'm 5'8" but have the legs of someone 6'+ thanks to scoliosis (pediatrician said I was supposed to be 6'2" from looking at growth plates when I was a kid but my torso is way shorter than it should be from the boneitis). My squat sucks and I have lots of problems with it but I still train it. I just don't expect to ever be good at them. I do stuff like split squats and leg press to help my quads and also focus on more upright variations (high bar, front squat) since I have to bend over so far on low bars that it fucks with my low back.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cosmik Slop posted:

Seems like you'd be there for ages if your max was anything above average

You got something better to do?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://youtu.be/l7nPJyUkj1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7nPJyUkj1c

Thinking about trying this minimalist workout just to maintain muscle when work is being difficult

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://youtu.be/l7nPJyUkj1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7nPJyUkj1c

Thinking about trying this minimalist workout just to maintain muscle when work is being difficult

Mike Israetel's hypertrophy guides have minimum maintenance volumes for each body part, I'd refer to those instead of the questionable youtube personality you posted

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

feelix posted:

Mike Israetel's hypertrophy guides have minimum maintenance volumes for each body part, I'd refer to those instead of the questionable youtube personality you posted

Just bear in mind that due to some new research he’s done, he’s revised that volume down a little, hence the new periodisation templates.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I haven't lifted basically at all for 7 months because other things are more important. I look almost the same. Lifting....no point?

I am weak as gently caress, but that comes back quickly.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

feelix posted:

Are these available outside of those 100 dollar excel spreadsheets? I’d love to try, but not 120-usd-love

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Are these available outside of those 100 dollar excel spreadsheets? I’d love to try, but not 120-usd-love
Don't know about the new stuff but the basic guides are all on youtube. eg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISePfnmknYY

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dum Cumpster posted:

I haven't lifted basically at all for 7 months because other things are more important. I look almost the same. Lifting....no point?

losing "the pump" is not the same thing as muscle atrophy

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

losing "the pump" is not the same thing as muscle atrophy

Yeah, your muscles fibers are just temporarily swole from the damage of constant lifting. Or whatever the real science is.

Also, in my case, it's not hard to continue looking like a pile of poo poo.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

https://renaissanceperiodization.com/hypertrophy-training-guide-central-hub/

You have to program for yourself but all the info is there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Guyver posted:

Current research suggests that the lasting fatigue from normal resistance training is from muscle damage and not anything to do with the CNS. CNS returns to base line about 24 hours after a bout of resistance training.

I wonder about this. Doing heavy doubles or taking a deadlift set to failure always left me feeling drained the next day but not particularly sore. If it's not a CNS issue, then what is it?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Guyver posted:

https://renaissanceperiodization.com/hypertrophy-training-guide-central-hub/

You have to program for yourself but all the info is there.

Thanks Breh

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Dum Cumpster posted:

yeah same almost, but what if you looked even better?

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
speaking of, which are the more obscure of the vanity muscles?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

I wonder about this. Doing heavy doubles or taking a deadlift set to failure always left me feeling drained the next day but not particularly sore. If it's not a CNS issue, then what is it?
Next day seems to fall into that "about 24 hours" bit.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Killing Loaf posted:

Are you "all legs"? Squats are more about proportions than height. I'm 5'8" but have the legs of someone 6'+ thanks to scoliosis (pediatrician said I was supposed to be 6'2" from looking at growth plates when I was a kid but my torso is way shorter than it should be from the boneitis). My squat sucks and I have lots of problems with it but I still train it. I just don't expect to ever be good at them. I do stuff like split squats and leg press to help my quads and also focus on more upright variations (high bar, front squat) since I have to bend over so far on low bars that it fucks with my low back.

Have you tried squatting with Olympic shoe and high bar? The ones with the ~1" heels. Changed my squat world for sure.

I did some sets of high hang (basically power) snatch with focusing on getting under it and catching as low as I can. Pushed the catch down below parallel which is huge for my long rear end legs. So sort of an overhead squat too.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Sinding Johansson posted:

The Dick and balls

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The Dick and balls

Why you should do dick flys and ball curls.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
I haven't peed in days my ball pump is huge

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Gettin that taint pump from a heavy leg day

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

yeah same almost, but what if you looked even better?

The amount of time and effort it takes for me to look slightly better... I can just have a beer and not care.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
tonight I'm going to have two beers and look slightly worse

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

I haven't peed in days my ball pump is huge

hmm

doverhog
May 31, 2013

What're the cum gutters actually called? The muscles on the hips that sort of point at the dick. Tho maybe they aren't obscure anymore.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Thats your lower abdominal wall and I don't think you can train it

Anyway the real vanity muscles are huge thighs to give you that ancient Greek approved small dick look

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
My favourite vanity muscles are the serratus anterior.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Mine is the deltoids. For whatever reason they really pop, and can see the muscle outlined beautifully. My body fat % is not especially low but when I gaze upon that deltoid I feel like a bodybuilder.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Helios Grime posted:

My favourite vanity muscles are the serratus anterior.

I noticed mine were popping tonight pretty good for a DYEL guy from DB Pullovers. I'd probably trade it for better muscles elsewhere though because you only see it with your shirt off and arms raised. Seriously, I need some biceps and shoulders. Hell, I'd trade it for abs.

Also I did my half of a bench press volume day and my top set of 182x3 felt pretty decent tonight. Pretty sure it was like RPE 6 at the hardest. I think I'm finally shedding some of that fatigue.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 23, 2018

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Im in the middle of taking 2 weeks off of tracking calories and doing minimum volume to recover from the years training

Can't wait to get back to it and destroy my body for another 50 weeks

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

doverhog posted:

What're the cum gutters actually called? The muscles on the hips that sort of point at the dick. Tho maybe they aren't obscure anymore.

The Adonis or Apollo's belt? At least that is what I think you are talking about.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Finally got my Adonis belt, the ladies love it. Now I really need to work my next obscure muscle, the rhomboid. Gonna work that rhomboid til it gets rhabdo. Rhaboid?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

doverhog posted:

Vagina bones

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

doverhog posted:

If you didn't say hips, I would think sternocleidomastoids

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Fhqwhgads posted:

Finally got my Adonis belt, the ladies love it. Now I really need to work my next obscure muscle, the rhomboid. Gonna work that rhomboid til it gets rhabdo. Rhaboid?

Trade for it or did it drop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Mustached Demon posted:

Have you tried squatting with Olympic shoe and high bar? The ones with the ~1" heels. Changed my squat world for sure.

I did some sets of high hang (basically power) snatch with focusing on getting under it and catching as low as I can. Pushed the catch down below parallel which is huge for my long rear end legs. So sort of an overhead squat too.

yeah my leistungs have helped a lot. forgot to mention high heels in my post. definitely DID mention high bar tho lol