Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

H13 posted:

I too am struggling after the prison break. Mostly because I'm not getting any decent mechs in the missions afterwards :(. I'm running the stock mechs at this point (Blackjack, Shadow, Centurion, Vindicator) and I keep coming across bloody Cicadas, Shadows and Vindicators.

I've seen ONE Treb and Hunchback in the 5 missions I've done after the prison break :(

In my first mission outside the tutorial I got a Jenner and in the next one I got another Shadowhawk. GET ON MY (luck) LEVEL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

In my first mission outside the tutorial I got a Jenner and in the next one I got another Shadowhawk. GET ON MY (luck) LEVEL.

Clearly I am the most skilled at luck.

On a side note: Highlanders are amazing and you can do anything with them.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Some random advices:

-Don't hoard morale, vigilance is more useful than targeted shot.

-Put max front armor on torso and arms, legs can have a bit less, back should have more than 25 armor. Even the sniper should have max armor.

-Have two mechs dedicated to tanking shots, with bullwarks pilots. Empty arms, like the left one on the centurion, should be facing the opposition.

-If you are about to fall brace! The AI will focus fire mechs who fell viciously.

-It's okay to have bad heat efficiency, you don't have to shoot every turn.

-Flank mechs who have lost an arm, damage is redirected to center torso.

-SRM and LRM are good.

-Kill the spotter right now!

-Get 4 guts on all your pilots ASAP.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

cugel posted:

-Don't hoard morale, vigilance is more useful than targeted shot.

This is true until you get bulwark on your pilots. Bulwark is like a free vigilance if you stand still and shoot. So with bulwark on the majority of your pilots you can spend most of your morale on targeted shots. Everything else you said is correct.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Dramicus posted:

This is true until you get bulwark on your pilots. Bulwark is like a free vigilance if you stand still and shoot. So with bulwark on the majority of your pilots you can spend most of your morale on targeted shots. Everything else you said is correct.

I use it for agressive flanking with jump jets, works fine for me. Evasion, entrenched and a boost on turn order.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

H13 posted:

I too am struggling after the prison break. Mostly because I'm not getting any decent mechs in the missions afterwards :(. I'm running the stock mechs at this point (Blackjack, Shadow, Centurion, Vindicator) and I keep coming across bloody Cicadas, Shadows and Vindicators.

I've seen ONE Treb and Hunchback in the 5 missions I've done after the prison break :(

That's weird, I haven't seen a single Cicada in my game so far. I headcapped a Kintaro with an AC-10+ shot, but I had the salvage slider all the way down. :(

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

cugel posted:

I use it for agressive flanking with jump jets, works fine for me. Evasion, entrenched and a boost on turn order.

You could use normal bracing for the same effect minus the initiative boost. I generally use vigilance for when I want to advance while shooting. You can jump, hit vigilance and then shoot for an even more aggressive advance.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Dramicus posted:

You can jump, hit vigilance and then shoot for an even more aggressive advance.

That is what I was trying to say...

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

cugel posted:

That is what I was trying to say...

You never said anything about shooting. :colbert:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

cugel posted:

Vigilance + Master Tactician on my Grasshopper. It's disgusting. :getin:

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Why does it bug me so much that the mechs seem to be 33% larger than they need to be based on size comparisons to tanks and props?!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sandweed posted:

I have an amazing mechwarrior now with a Russian accent, very pessimistic all the time. Stomping around in an Orion and one arm gets stripped of armor.
"I'm going to die"

if she's a lady i think i got that voice set

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

H13 posted:

To be fair Shadowhawks (and the patented Centurion Lurmboat) are Quite Good.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Dramicus posted:

Clearly I am the most skilled at luck.

On a side note: Highlanders are amazing and you can do anything with them.

Ya im currently just running 3 highlanders and a lrmboat stalker hunting atlases. I just keep getting highlanders though, i have like 8 now.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Unormal posted:

Ya im currently just running 3 highlanders and a lrmboat stalker hunting atlases. I just keep getting highlanders though, i have like 8 now.

That's exactly how I started capturing everything. I make sure all 4 mechs have at least 1 ++Stab lrm15 or 20, and have a stalker with 2 or 4 ++stab lrm 15s (depending on the mission). It's actually really easy to capture fully armored assaults that way because you just use multi-target and lrm them each turn while cleaning up the rest of the enemies. By the time you are done, the atlas or king crab or whatever will usually be incapacitated after 5 or so rounds.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Apparently the mech I needed was a Centurion with 3 SRM6 pods, flamer, and a laser to plod up and topple everything.

I waited a few weeks redoing my builds and the missions turned over. They're actually manageable now. I think the 10 mech mega gangbangs were some sort of bug.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of interesting start locations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Another reason not to skimp on jump jets

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Dramicus posted:

Speaking of interesting start locations.

Watch that first step, it's a humdinger.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cobbsprite posted:

Watch that first step, it's a humdinger.

actually the humdinger (HMD-1GR) was not introduced until 3068,

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

winterwerefox posted:

Why does it bug me so much that the mechs seem to be 33% larger than they need to be based on size comparisons to tanks and props?!

Because you're right. There is a mechscale variable set to 1.25 in the .jsons somewhere. I figure it's to make them easier to see when way zoomed out. I want to change it, but feel like map features were designed with the current size in mind.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Week 181 and Panzyr is secure! The Restoration marches on.......slowly.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The scale seems decent in the mechbay, but that could very well be different than the actual combat maps.

Amechwarrior posted:

Because you're right. There is a mechscale variable set to 1.25 in the .jsons somewhere. I figure it's to make them easier to see when way zoomed out. I want to change it, but feel like map features were designed with the current size in mind.

Can you scale up the vehicles instead?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's still super weird that a tank that weighs as much as an Awesome is about the size of an Orion's foot.

And the tank is the one that's actually scaled realistically because mechs are just insanely, absurdly huge relative to their mass, like they were made of cotton candy and dreams

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Isn't the technobabble explanation that mechs can be effective because the tech that makes them durable and whatnot has minimal dimension requirements such that a tank cannot benefit (as much) from the technological advances without bloating up its size?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Argas posted:

Isn't the technobabble explanation that mechs can be effective because the tech that makes them durable and whatnot has minimal dimension requirements such that a tank cannot benefit (as much) from the technological advances without bloating up its size?

It's kinda how IRL composite armor means modern tanks weigh the same or less than ww2 tanks, but are physically much larger, faster, better protected, and with more firepower.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I really hope some patches can improve upon the UI in general just getting dog goddamn slow sometimes.

Yes, I clean out my saves and sell lots of extra items.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Wait, is Eject and Withdraw different things.

Can you Eject a single Pilot and keep going with the other 3?

Motherfuckers.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Is there any assault mech in this game that has four ballistic slots.

I kinda want a 4 AC/5 monster

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Arrath posted:

I really hope some patches can improve upon the UI in general just getting dog goddamn slow sometimes.

Yes, I clean out my saves and sell lots of extra items.

Yeah I close and restart the game every few missions and delete all the manual saves my compulsive saving generate because otherwise the load times and the poor responsiveness of the UI just get unbearable.

Also, I was pretty excited to complete a Kintaro and a Griffin and it turns out they have the exact same free tonnage for extra weapons and armor as Shadow Hawks, barely even worth refitting them into good builds since I already had two variants of the SHawk, a Hunchback and two Centurions available, so I already had pretty much any combination of weapon mounts I could want, plus the Hunchback and Centurion have more total tonnage available for customization than those other mechs I mentioned (most meds in the 50-55 ton range seem to have 28 tons to work with, Hunch and Centurion have 31.5)

I basically crushed every mission before Smithon with my PC and Glitch in Medium Laser/SRM boats with maxed armor (had a couple different ones depending on which were in the shop at the time), Behemoth in an LRM Centurion and Dekker in a light, Firestarter or PPC Panther depending on the weather, mostly. For a long time that PPC was my biggest individual punch, everyone else just sandpapered enemies to death with lasers and rockets. Autocannons or large lasers? They're all so heavy :effort:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rookersh posted:

Wait, is Eject and Withdraw different things.

Can you Eject a single Pilot and keep going with the other 3?

Motherfuckers.

Yep. Eject basically saves your pilot and deletes the head from your mech. The mech is untargetable and will be picked up at the end of the mission and can be repaired. It's another one of those things where you gotta know how far you can push things before things blow up in your face like Heat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anything in the head is destroyed though. RIP my sweet turntable command console +3 morale each turn

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Anything in the head is destroyed though. RIP my sweet turntable command console +3 morale each turn

who caaaaares.

90% of my issue with srm/lrms hitting the head was I couldn't do poo poo about it. I either had to take it or lose the mission. it felt arbitrary and lovely because I would know my other 3 warriors could finish up just fine so I didn't want to withdraw, but I also knew the AI would chase my injured guy to the end of the map and eventually LRM him to death with a third head hit.

now that I know I can just say gently caress y'all and punch deck AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH who the gently caress cares about 1% head hits now, just get some guts and gently caress it.

i'm so angry.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I had to eject once to save 2 SRM6+++ and 1 SRM4++ from an armless wolverine in the story mission Served Cold and it was good. I have also withdrawn once, but I can't remember why, it must have been a real shitshow.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
After hunting assaults all this time, I got a free Highlander at the SLDF mission. I had no idea that was coming. The very next mission was just 3 skulls but man was it a doozy.

Kill a lance of Black Knight, Tbolt, Quickdraw and Jaegermech. After 1 round reinforcements arrive in firing range: Banshee, Highlander, Tbolt, Quickdraw.

Thankfully I'd taken 3/14 salvage so knowing how crappy the Banshee is, I played 'knock me down' with the Black Knight until the pilot was mush. :) Now to collect some appropriately nifty +++ energy weapons to fit it with.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah that big mech is a real nice one. Runs super cool all the time and keeps making GBS threads out death. I tinkered with it a bit and added more support weapons, swapped the lrm for more srms and it still runs like an ice cube.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ratzap posted:

Thankfully I'd taken 3/14 salvage so knowing how crappy the Banshee is, I played 'knock me down' with the Black Knight until the pilot was mush. :)

It's a shame we can't reduce engine size in this game. The Banshee and certain other mechs are really crippled by how much tonnage they dedicate to speed that really doesn't help them much especially since melee doesn't let you take advantage of evasion or bulwark.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

Yes, it is in CombatGameConstants.json as "test_mechscalewhatever=1.25" and I am 100% sure they are scaled up so as to be more visible on the battle map since the colors are usually awfully washed out or the contrast is too low or something and it makes the mechs kind of blend into the background. I don't see a spot to scale the vehicles up to scale or I'd recommend doing that instead.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dramicus posted:

It's a shame we can't reduce engine size in this game. The Banshee and certain other mechs are really crippled by how much tonnage they dedicate to speed that really doesn't help them much especially since melee doesn't let you take advantage of evasion or bulwark.

I'm glad they stuck with "mechs are built around the engine and replacing it is basically the same thing as just making a new mech entirely" because tonnage devoted to engine makes a huge difference in making mechs unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Disco Battlemaster is a go. 7 M Lasers, 2 S Lasers, and an SRM6+++ because I can. And all the heat sinks I can find.

...you know, I should have checked its move speed before I did that. We'll see how well it waddles.