Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Ohhh there was going to be a merger that didn’t go through in 2019 I guess is what I was thinking of, doh

https://www.audioholics.com/news/sound-united-terminates-acquisition-of-pioneer-onkyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, I was surprised when I looked it up because I vaguely remembered it happening too. But anyways, I don't think we can say with certainty much about the relative reliability of the new 8k/Atmos receivers yet, because of just how much changed with them compared to the older 4k models.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I have L/R tower speakers (Klipsch VF-35) that I can’t use with the matching center for cabinet size reasons. Do you guys think I’d be better off buying a non-matching Klipsch center channel from a different product line, or spending that same money on the matching surrounds for a 4.0 setup and using a phantom center?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Get the center channel. Unless your cabinet space is seriously limited and you would have to buy a much smaller center channel with less output. If that's the case it probably won't do that much and you should get the surrounds.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Tacier posted:

I have L/R tower speakers (Klipsch VF-35) that I can’t use with the matching center for cabinet size reasons. Do you guys think I’d be better off buying a non-matching Klipsch center channel from a different product line, or spending that same money on the matching surrounds for a 4.0 setup and using a phantom center?

If you're using a center is should be the best speaker in your whole system since it will be handling 60-90% of all audio in surround content. It costs you nothing to try phantom center, in a lot of rooms it will be fine but you may have to play with speaker position and angle to get it dialed in.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

qirex posted:

If you're using a center is should be the best speaker in your whole system since it will be handling 60-90% of all audio in surround content. It costs you nothing to try phantom center, in a lot of rooms it will be fine but you may have to play with speaker position and angle to get it dialed in.

Thanks for responses. I’m absolutely willing to spend the money on a better center than my L/Rs. I just don’t know how much different the reference premiere line will sound than the old Icon series in terms of timbre matching. Maybe Klipsch is Klipsch and I’m overthinking it

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I endorse Qirex’ position in this matter especially given your setup description.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
I personally hate the sound of horn speakers, and vote that this is the perfect time to upgrade away from Klipsch brand.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Any suggestions on how to auto adjust my a/v receiver volume when the HVAC kicks in? I currently have a few years old Denon unit, but willing to buy a new one if needed.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Any suggestions on how to auto adjust my a/v receiver volume when the HVAC kicks in? I currently have a few years old Denon unit, but willing to buy a new one if needed.
I don't think that's a thing you can do in any way, unless there's some way your HVAC could tell the receiver when it was turning on. Assume there's a way to do that and it's possible you could have some combination of scripting through a web interface but how much would it know to increase the volume? Response isn't linear so if you're listening quietly and it goes "volume +20" that could be way too loud and if you're listening loud it might not make a difference.

Get a mini split?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

IR blaster, clamp ammeter on the wiring to the HVAC system, and a microcontroller?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tesla Optimus robot.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Are big tower speakers typically an improvement over bookcase speakers for the LR front ones? I'm reaching the one year anniversary of my 5.1 system and getting the urge to waste some money.... My front and center speakers are all decent Klipsch ones that I got secondhand.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://ifttt.com/

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I forgot to mention I do have a Nest. I guess I was assuming there was some receiver available with a mic to monitor ambient noise

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I thought about this, but I can’t seem to find triggers that would work

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

smoobles posted:

Are big tower speakers typically an improvement over bookcase speakers for the LR front ones? I'm reaching the one year anniversary of my 5.1 system and getting the urge to waste some money.... My front and center speakers are all decent Klipsch ones that I got secondhand.
It's been a game changer for me, I have a Klipsch 5.1 kit see my post history if you want.

The center becomes the weak link so I use "center spread" but it has let my bass really shine, the big LR gets some of the low and sub for ultra lows.

I still haven't repurposed the two satellite speakers into 7.1 because wiring is frustrating, I think I'll end up pulling my baseboard off eventually and doing it all up right when I do.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

smoobles posted:

If you are comparing 2 speakers from the same line with one being a bookshelf and the other is a tower, they will sound the same. The tower can dig a little deeper and play a lot louder, but otherwise they should be identical.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Since 2018 I've been using some Q Acoustics 3020 speakers for my fronts in my AV setup. They've been connected to a Yamaha RXV383 receiver. I just noticed today that the product page for the RXV383 lists it as providing 100watts power per channel, and that the 3020 has a power range of 25-75 Watts. Have I been damaging my fronts all this time by using them with a receiver that provides too much power? I think I bought all this stuff as my first setup and obviously didn't even think to check power compatibility.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gunder posted:

Since 2018 I've been using some Q Acoustics 3020 speakers for my fronts in my AV setup. They've been connected to a Yamaha RXV383 receiver. I just noticed today that the product page for the RXV383 lists it as providing 100watts power per channel, and that the 3020 has a power range of 25-75 Watts. Have I been damaging my fronts all this time by using them with a receiver that provides too much power? I think I bought all this stuff as my first setup and obviously didn't even think to check power compatibility.

No, you haven't been damaging them. The receiver isn't constantly sending 100W to your speakers. It only sends as much as you choose based on what you set the volume at. For most people, this is less than 5W. And no, less power isn't hurting the speakers either.

If you did send 100W to them, you would have noticed very quickly because something would've been blown out.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nope, not at all. Unless you've been playing loud enough to wake the dead, you're fine.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
What you have there is what the audiophiles call headroom.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Good to know!

I sometimes feel like dialogue is a little bit hard to make out with my setup. What would be the things you'd want to check in order to resolve the issue?

My setup:
Yamaha RXV383 receiver
Q Acoustics 3020 fronts
Q Acoustics 3090c Centre
Yamaha NS-SW100 sub

I recently changed the speakers to the "Small" category in the receiver settings and that seems to have helped the issue somewhat (my understanding is that this hands off all lower frequencies to the sub). The dialogue boosting option in the receiver settings doesn't really help, it just makes dialogue sound strange.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You could always try moving your speakers around, particularly your center channel. The goal is to have it pointed at your ears at the main listening position and to minimize early reflections [don't put it back on a shelf, try moving your coffee table, etc.].

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Try upping the center volume maybe

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Gunder posted:

Good to know!

I sometimes feel like dialogue is a little bit hard to make out with my setup. What would be the things you'd want to check in order to resolve the issue?

My setup:
Yamaha RXV383 receiver
Q Acoustics 3020 fronts
Q Acoustics 3090c Centre
Yamaha NS-SW100 sub

I recently changed the speakers to the "Small" category in the receiver settings and that seems to have helped the issue somewhat (my understanding is that this hands off all lower frequencies to the sub). The dialogue boosting option in the receiver settings doesn't really help, it just makes dialogue sound strange.

I had a dialogue problem once a long time ago and it turned out to be the source. I think I isolated it to a specific streaming device or maybe it was a specific streamer but there was definitely something hosed up that didn't happen when listening to the same stuff from a different streamer/source.

Another time I had a failing driver on my (purchased used) center. Still put out sound, but once I turned off the L/Rs and started disconnecting drivers on the center it became very obvious.

Probably unlikely to be either, especially the latter, but figured I'd mention.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Finally started working on the THT Tuba I've been planning for 2 years. Not my pictures:

Will probably take me a while because I can't devote a ton of time to it but feels good to have made the first cuts.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Just one?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

To start.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gunder posted:

Good to know!

On top of what everyone else has suggested: make sure that your AVR and source are set up properly. Basically, make sure that the source/stream aren't trying to send a 5.1 signal while your AVR is set to only output in stereo because then most of the center channel information, and therefore dialogue, will be missing. Doesn't sound like this is the case with you, but doesn't hurt to make sure.

But yea, outside of cranking up the gain on the center channel and making sure it's aimed at your ear level, there isn't much else you can do if the audio is mixed poorly. And it happens a lot more than you would think due to the actual sound mix being badly done or the streaming app being garbage. :negative:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bird with big dick posted:

Finally started working on the THT Tuba I've been planning for 2 years. Not my pictures:

Will probably take me a while because I can't devote a ton of time to it but feels good to have made the first cuts.

I've built the table tuba, some T39s and a couple of T60s. And 4 OT12 tops. They're the poo poo. Your going to have a good time with this.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 22, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thread, I need some help.

I inherited some really awesome custom made stereo speakers, to the point where I can't share too much without potentially doxxing myself, and am in over my head. I'm trying to balance, I dunno, the "best" way of using them with ease of use and am super suspicious of anything audio related because I can't easily tell the difference between real audio stuff and audiophile snake oil, so I just assume everything is the later. This is just a stereo listening setup, I have a separate home theater setup for that sort of thing.

There's a longer story here about tuning/tweaking the whole setup, but the specific problem I am having is trying to take the HDMI eARC output from a TV (LG C2) and get it going trough the speakers. I had purchased an Emotiva XDA-3 that takes that HDMI eARC input, then outputs via RCA into a miniDSP 4x10 HD. From there, for the speakers, into an Emotiva A-700 and then the speakers. For the sub, directly from the miniDSP into a VTF-2 MK5.

The problem is that the XDA-3 constantly cuts out and desyncs from eARC. I've been working with their support for the better part of a year and it turns out its a bug on their side that they don't have an ETA on fixing. I'm sick of their poo poo and am looking for an alternative solution. What is an appropriate solution here? The cheap Arylic BP50 I bought off Amazon works just fine and doesn't desync in the same way, but doesn't have a trigger to turn on the Emotiva A-700 and I assume doesn't have the greatest audio quality.

Should I be looking at something like a Bluesound Node X or an alternative? Something like the miniDSP Flex HT? I'm fine with using the TV as the source, it's easy enough to use and passes the wife test. I get the feeling the folks still doing stereo audio look down on eARC or this type of setup, but unless someone I really trust can tell me it's a huge mistake, it's worth it for the ease of use for me. Otherwise, the speakers will likely sit unused, and that would be a crime.

Thank you, goons. You're my only hope.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 22, 2024

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Your system sounds very complicated, it sounds like the speakers need multiple channels of amplification each? Emotiva HT stuff is known to be... let's call it "quirky." I'm also not clear why you have both the Emotiva processor and the miniDSP. If you're cool with the cost there's something like the Marantz Cinema 70s which has 5.1 pre-outs. There's also the upcoming Wiim Ultra.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

qirex posted:

Your system sounds very complicated, it sounds like the speakers need multiple channels of amplification each? Emotiva HT stuff is known to be... let's call it "quirky." I'm also not clear why you have both the Emotiva processor and the miniDSP. If you're cool with the cost there's something like the Marantz Cinema 70s which has 5.1 pre-outs. There's also the upcoming Wiim Ultra.

It is very complicated for sure. The person I inherited these from was very smart but also had a tendency to overcomplicate things, at least from my perspective.

The XDA-3 was added to act as a DAC. I could, in theory, use analog connections to connect to the miniDSP, but I'd need something to hand off that analog connection and my understanding was that the DAC was fairly important. The miniDSP does detailed equalizing/crossover and I have done room tuning using a microphone, etc., with it.

I'm a little unclear on channels, but if I understand correctly part of the problem is that I am specifically looking for 2.1 channels. Both speakers, and a subwoofer. I thought a home theater receiver might add complication, but if not, I'd be willing to consider it.

You mentioned multiple connections to the speakers. Yes, there are 6 analog out connections from the miniDSP to the Emotiva BasX amp, and then 6 copper speaker wires out to the speakers. 2 speaker housings, each with what I believe are 3 individual speaker drivers. Might be getting the names wrong here, tweeter, mid, and woofer drivers.

Before the miniDSP there was a literal analog crossover. Something home built in the 70s/80s. Sorry if this is all too much information. I don't know it well enough to be suscinct. And if anyone sees anything they think is wrong here, please feel free to tell me I'm wrong. It's quite likely.

It does look like the WiiM Ultra would fit the bill.

Thanks for the help!

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 23, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Are you a relative of Mark Schifter of av123 infamy?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol no, but that is pretty hilarious

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

my understanding was that the DAC was fairly important

Audiophiles want this to be true, but it's not. Even the cheapest 5 cent in bulk DAC chip will have zero effect on the sound unless you're powering it from a noisy computer USB port or something (and trust me, you would know - you would hear the noise with no music playing)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Perfect, that's all I needed to hear.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you don't want to wait several months for the Wiim the Node is a perfectly fine streamer/crossover/DAC as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I think I'm going to go that route. Should have done that to begin with. I was thinking about replacing the miniDSP with another unit that has eARC, but I might as well leave well enough alone and get something that has more features.

Thanks thread! I'm sure I'll be back at some point.