Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Methanar posted:

Wow. I've actually never clicked on that advanced button. Thanks I didn't know I could even do that. This is probably exactly what I need while I fix it for real.

I'm truly loving your posts, seeing you stretch and learn and explore. It's so god drat cool to watch and I want replace my unmotivated minions who will never progress beyond "monkey see light, monkey press button" with people just like you.

Keep approaching everything as a challenge and opportunity to learn and you're going to go far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
indeed. wanting to solve a problem by thinking is a great trait that many need to pick up.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Yeah, it's a nice thing to see.

A good thing to always remember is that there are often multiple solutions to a problem. The real skill is identifying the best one.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I was looking at job postings before heading to bed when my wife was in the room, and said "wait, what?" out loud in response to one that I saw. She knows enough about the certifications I've done/worked on that even she laughed when I told her there was a job posting that wanted someone with A+ or CCNA certification. Like, these are two equivalent certifications and are interchangeable. :raise:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Started my new job Monday, still going through company training and haven't seen my desk yet, but an interesting tidbit came up in the email security section. The cloud spam filtering service quarantines nothing and just appends *Spam* to the subject.

This seems insane to me because quarantines aren't that hard to check. Is this a common practice? Is this why you guys constantly battle ransomware?

Is this what my future holds?

I think I inherited a network with your service and just finished ripping it our and switching to Mimecast...? Life has been much nicer since.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
:siren:I threw outlook into offline mode somehow and am now convinced someone is actively trying to sabotage me:siren:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

flosofl posted:

I'm truly loving your posts, seeing you stretch and learn and explore. It's so god drat cool to watch and I want replace my unmotivated minions who will never progress beyond "monkey see light, monkey press button" with people just like you.

Keep approaching everything as a challenge and opportunity to learn and you're going to go far.

I beat up our desktop rep all the time because of this. He wanted to know how to make more money and I answered "Show actual interest in the field, stop passing bucks, look into the things you don't now how to fix so you can be more qualified. If you only push the buttons I taught you to push, then you aren't advancing. I don't have time to be your personal IT tutor."

He still hasn't "Got it" yet.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Rhymenoserous posted:

I beat up our desktop rep all the time because of this. He wanted to know how to make more money and I answered "Show actual interest in the field, stop passing bucks, look into the things you don't now how to fix so you can be more qualified. If you only push the buttons I taught you to push, then you aren't advancing. I don't have time to be your personal IT tutor."

:spergin:

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
So I'm still pretty new in IT, learning things and whatnot. I just had I think my first ever "what the gently caress" moment at work, though.

On a scale of bad-very bad how bad is it that I just discovered that two of our Windows 2012r2 servers haven't been updated ever and apparently have over 100 updates pending/missing?

But in WSUS they're both reporting as being fully updated with nothing missing, which is why I'm kinda confused.

edit: to reflect reality

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 26, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Rhymenoserous posted:

Alternatively, learn to bullshit

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

FaintlyQuaint posted:

So I'm still pretty new in IT, learning things and whatnot. I just had I think my first ever "what the gently caress" moment at work, though.

On a scale of bad-very bad how bad is it that I just discovered that two of our Windows 2012r2 servers haven't been updated ever and apparently have over 1k updates pending/missing?

But in WSUS they're both reporting as being fully updated with nothing missing, which is why I'm kinda confused.
I'm not sure 2012r2 has had 1000 updates released.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Comedy option: recruit

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

FaintlyQuaint posted:

On a scale of bad-very bad how bad is it that I just discovered that two of our Windows 2012r2 servers haven't been updated ever and apparently have over 1k updates pending/missing?

That probably means no one is approving updates.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

I'm not sure 2012r2 has had 1000 updates released.

Oh, I'm dumb. 131 with 10 optional. Not 1310 with 10 optional.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

FaintlyQuaint posted:

We don't have the WSUS Group Policy applied to the servers OU, only workstations. Might be the same at your shop.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dark Helmut posted:

Comedy option: recruit

:golfclap:

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Oh, I'm dumb. 131 with 10 optional. Not 1310 with 10 optional.

I had that picture expanded, got up to do something else, sat down, and instinctively tried to click on "Install Updates."

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 26, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

How is it spergy that I refuse to teach every bit of knowledge I gained in 10 years to a person who can't even be bothered to open google up and give it a go? I'm not a teacher, this isn't a classroom.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm with you. I'm all for showing Jr. guys how to do things but some of the "went to school for IT" guys I run into now a days just want everything fed to them. At some point you have to figure something out on your own. There won't always be someone there with knowledge to bail you out.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Knowing Tab812638123 that probably isn't what he meant.

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Here is Robert Half's which I've found to be laughably high based on all of their ridiculous modifiers:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/DBM/M3/2011/Downloads/RHT_2015_salary-guide.pdf

Interestingly, I had the opposite reaction - the salaries listed there are incredibly low for the Bay Area, so I guess you need to have a modifier for the area of the world you live in.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

aaronp posted:

Interestingly, I had the opposite reaction - the salaries listed there are incredibly low for the Bay Area, so I guess you need to have a modifier for the area of the world you live in.

There are regional modifiers in there by state. Looking up San Francisco's it's value is 138. So that may have skewed the numbers a bit low for you if you didnt adjust for that. Still overall I think it aims high for every job description. As someone else had mentioned they have an incentive to get wages hire for placements. Still it works as a rough guide or starting point for people.

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

BaseballPCHiker posted:

There are regional modifiers in there by state. Looking up San Francisco's it's value is 138. So that may have skewed the numbers a bit low for you if you didnt adjust for that. Still overall I think it aims high for every job description. As someone else had mentioned they have an incentive to get wages hire for placements. Still it works as a rough guide or starting point for people.

Ah that makes more sense, closer when you add in the modifier.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

How is it spergy that I refuse to teach every bit of knowledge I gained in 10 years to a person who can't even be bothered to open google up and give it a go? I'm not a teacher, this isn't a classroom.

It's not a classroom and you're not a teacher but "I beat up my coworker who asks too many questions" sounds abrasive.

EDIT: This sort of attitude reminds me of previous gigs where questions where answered with ltmgtfy. There's no need to be passive-aggressive or a dick.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 26, 2015

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

EDIT: This sort of attitude reminds me of previous gigs where questions where answered with ltmgtfy. There's no need to be passive-aggressive or a dick.

I responded with lmgtfy when a coworker asked me "What percentage of 2.2 GB is 1.7 GB?" It was justified.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

captkirk posted:

I responded with lmgtfy when a coworker asked me "What percentage of 2.2 GB is 1.7 GB?" It was justified.

:golfclap:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

captkirk posted:

Personally, I don't think it's funny unless you can type their exact question and get an answer.
For example:

What is 1.7 GB / 2.2 GB in percent?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm in the process of researching certificate services for our environment; googling is a mixed bag of decent stuff, and stuff in comments filled with "this article is NOT best practices" which is a red flag.

Is there a good book or resource that anyone can recommend for Windows PKI best practices and planning? I always like to have a reference guide anyways - so its worth it to shell out. This is a long-game implementation that I'm just beginning to review; not a rushed "push it out" thing.

Walked fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 26, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

It's not a classroom and you're not a teacher but "I beat up my coworker who asks too many questions" sounds abrasive.

Yeah I give him poo poo because he doesn't care enough about his job to learn on his own, yet constantly whines about his payscale, and he requires constant micromanagement. We won't even delve far into the fact that he views being told to google something and research an answer as some kind of wild insult.

Big dumb babies that require hand holding through literally every aspect of their professional lives should just work retail as god intended.

And no I don't yell at him for wanting to know how some widget in active directory works, I yell at him for the constant stream of low effort troubleshooting that clog up my queue when I'm supposed to be working on poo poo like firewalls/exchange migrations/etc. The number of times I've fixed a "Major printer issue" by just walking over to the dumb thing and rebooting it, deleting/readding the drivers, or just killing a corrupted print queue are basically uncountable. Yet when I review his browser history at no point do I see google searches on the subject, but plenty of facebook.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Personally, I don't think it's funny unless you can type their exact question and get an answer.
For example:

Calc.exe

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 26, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have any experience with Super Anti Spyware? I had a user today who swore IT installed it on his computer. I don't think he's lying, I don't think he's computer literate enough to install something. Someone else probably decided to do it.

He was unable to open links in his email, do you think that's a setting in there? I wanted to just uninstall it, but I guess that's for T2.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Super Anti Spyware? I had a user today who swore IT installed it on his computer. I don't think he's lying, I don't think he's computer literate enough to install something. Someone else probably decided to do it.

He was unable to open links in his email, do you think that's a setting in there? I wanted to just uninstall it, but I guess that's for T2.

It's fine - as good as MBAM in my opinion. Legitimate at least.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Sounds like malware to me.
He probably got a call from Microsoft to install it.

Edit:

Nevermind

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

It's fine - as good as MBAM in my opinion. Legitimate at least.

Ah, okay. From what I read it is really lovely, I obviously never used it.

We get a lot of users who decide they need to install their own antivirus or anti-malware software, and since we give everyone local admin nobody finds out until something breaks.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I found super anti spy ware useless and time consuming compared to mbam + adw cleaner.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

For example:

You pretty much can: http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=1.7+%2F+2.2+*100&l=1

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

For example:

Wow it works.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LMGTFY is funny, but Wolfram Alpha gives them pretty pictures to look at.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=What+is+1.7+GB+%2F+2.2+GB+in+percent%3F

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

LMWATFY? Meh, I like giving out LMGTFY links to coworkers occasionally. We have a good working environment and are chill with each other, so it's not a condescending thing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CloFan posted:

LMWATFY? Meh, I like giving out LMGTFY links to coworkers occasionally. We have a good working environment and are chill with each other, so it's not a condescending thing.

It exists. Kind of.

http://lmwatfy.com/index.html

Someone took a stock website template, shoved a WA widget in there and called it a day.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KillHour posted:

LMGTFY is funny, but Wolfram Alpha gives them pretty pictures to look at.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=What+is+1.7+GB+%2F+2.2+GB+in+percent%3F

Wolfram alpha is nice for weird hypothetical questions, like the nutritional value of a Cheeto the mass of the moon:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=mass+of+the+moon+in+cheetos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Wolfram alpha is nice for weird hypothetical questions, like the nutritional value of a Cheeto the mass of the moon:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=mass+of+the+moon+in+cheetos

This part legit made me laugh.

quote:

Assuming baked Cheetos