Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

SiKboy posted:

FWIW, I always assumed the deacons (or whoever with the pointy hats) in the original sculpts were something of a nod to Torquemada from 2000ADs Nemesis the Warlock. Games workshop werent THAT many years removed from producing a judge dredd game so it wasnt that much of a stretch for me at the time. Of course, it could be that I just assumed that because when Necromunda was originally released I was still reading 2000AD.

creator of Nemesis and Torquemada, Pat Mills, did a pretty kickass and funny comic about the Redeemer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

It's probably time to remake this one, anyway. This is supposed to be the gawk at models thread in general, not just the lovely stuff, and inevitably some rake keeps dropping "wrong thread" whenever something cool is posted.

how do you still not get 'wrong thread'?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Moola posted:

See, I think this is actually a pretty good Slaaneshi defiler though?

It has the exceptional wrongness-of-form thing down pat, and it's really hard for me to imagine this was :fap:-bait, or at least not intended to be?

Also, no nipples so :shrug:.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
sticking a sexy huge lady body on defiler legs never looks good

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Moola posted:

sticking a sexy huge lady body on defiler legs never looks good

That's what they're going for I think? Body horror should be a Slaaneshi thing rather than the "Stupid hair metal and third-party titty demons" that we're stuck with.

It's got a Toy Story thing going on that I kinda like.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Moola posted:

was that the spider lady from Saga originally

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

That's what they're going for I think? Body horror should be a Slaaneshi thing rather than the "Stupid hair metal and third-party titty demons" that we're stuck with.

It's got a Toy Story thing going on that I kinda like.

disagree to agree I guess fam

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

fatherboxx posted:

was that the spider lady from Saga originally

I think that's a Monster High doll.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Moola posted:

If the head wasn't disproportionate, I'd kind of dig that model. Slaaneshi without being creepy.

The big head is a bit doofy.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If that thing had nipples you'd all be mocking the poo poo out of it. You nipple haters.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AndyElusive posted:

If that thing had nipples you'd all be mocking the poo poo out of it. You nipple haters.

I do not hate nipples. I love nipples, just not on space barbies

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Moola posted:

The articulated arms aren't doing much articulating. Surely you'd gap fill them if you were planning on keeping them straight?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

This popped up on my kickstarter feed

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

They got rather more KKK when they got resculpted later though, though tbh most of the resculpted gangs were pretty bad and lost a lot of the original 'charm' in order to be more customisable (separate weapons and heads etc.)

Again, totally not KKK - they are based off the hoods the (real) Inquisition wore, which is totally fitting of both 40K and GW dragging old school religion into the art of the game.

Ugleb posted:

Necromunda had more of the wild west in it than I realised at the time.
There are more than a few NM stories that are straight up "Man with no name" / Lee van Cleef spaghetti westerns.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Philthy posted:

Illegal model. You can't dual-weild powerfists and have a sword.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

28mm Vietnam, same eyes:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Philthy posted:

:shrug: He'd need a claw but other than that if I played CSM and were in the market for an Armless-the-Harmless I might pick one up?

Sculpt looks p. deece.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Two Beans posted:

Illegal model. You can't dual-weild powerfists and have a sword.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

berzerkmonkey posted:

Again, totally not KKK - they are based off the hoods the (real) Inquisition wore, which is totally fitting of both 40K and GW dragging old school religion into the art of the game.

The problem is that context is definitely a thing. There are people who will see those models and know that it's specifically referencing the Spanish Inquisition, but I hazard that most people think of the Monty Python costumes and not pointy hoods and in 2018 it's basically impossible to see pointy hoods without thinking of the KKK, intentional or not.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
This months wargames illistrated has some special pictures in it.

This is an actual advert for an actual company. Some proper monkey faces on the Amazonians, and the inuits(?) Seem to be wearing other peoples faces over thier own.

I have also found what the swedish chef did before he appeared in the muppets. He apparently fought for the Ottoman Empire in the 1st Balkan war....

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 10, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Grey Hunter posted:

This is an actual advert for an actual company. Some proper monkey faces on the Amazonians, and the inuits(?) Seem to be wearing other peoples faces over thier own.

I think Badger Game's "thing" is that it's basically an IP-holding company (they buy failed/struggling brands and release them as a product line under a single company name) and I want to say one of their lines is big on the Rogue Trader-era aesthetic which is where the aliens on the bottom row come from. I dunno, I remember the early 90s well enough to avoid a lot of the nostalgia for the miniatures of that era (although I wholly succumb to nostalgia for Blanchitsu art). The state of modeling wasn't great back then.

E: nope, changing the timg tags to img tags doesn't seem to have fixed it.

EE: there we go, it just needed the actual location in the tag not the imgur page location.

EEE: The line is Regiment Games, those are their Drantakh Empires.

EEEE: Upon further investigation, those are actually Bob Olley originals!

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 10, 2018

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Fixed the links! Phoneposting sucks.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Grey Hunter posted:

I have also found what the swedish chef did before he appeared in the muppets. He apparently fought for the Ottoman Empire in the 1st Balkan war....

How are there still miniatures companies that don't have a painter on staff? Have loving someone who makes you stuff look baller. Having fan submitted/average quality paint jobs are also good, but man you can do better than this!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Grey Hunter posted:

Yessssss

Philthy fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 10, 2018

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Wazzu posted:

How are there still miniatures companies that don't have a painter on staff? Have loving someone who makes you stuff look baller. Having fan submitted/average quality paint jobs are also good, but man you can do better than this!

Same reason as why they don't have technical editors: quality costs money.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Wazzu posted:

Most historical players don't care about how good the paint job is in the ad - they're just happy to see something like Inuit and Carib Indians in production so they can finally do that scenario where the Inuit invaded the Lesser Antilles that one time.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Most historical players don't care about how good the paint job is in the ad - they're just happy to see something like Inuit and Carib Indians in production so they can finally do that scenario where the Inuit invaded the Lesser Antilles that one time.

Plus any pictures at all is an improvement over faxing in your list based on a description and a code.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Jesus, the number of historical mini manufacturers who still don't have photos of their minis on their website in TYOOInternets 2018 is loving criminal.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ilor posted:

Jesus, the number of historical mini manufacturers who still don't have photos of their minis on their website in TYOOInternets 2018 is loving criminal.

Back in 2011, the company I worked for had a supplier that only accepted orders via fax

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Iron Crowned posted:

Back in 2011, the company I worked for had a supplier that only accepted orders via fax

I respect that guys determination to ignore technological progress.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugleb posted:

In his defense it was in Kansas

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ugleb posted:

I work in a shipping warehouse and we ship things to people that only accept fax and it's 2018 and I don't get it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Faxed documents hold special legal significance that emails do not.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Len posted:

I work in a shipping warehouse and we ship things to people that only accept fax and it's 2018 and I don't get it.

Olds, are loving weird about that poo poo. I get the feeling that places like that have about 1 to 3 people who have been working there since 1976, and kicked and screamed about getting a fax machine in 2002, and are determined to never touch a computer.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

Olds, are loving weird about that poo poo. I get the feeling that places like that have about 1 to 3 people who have been working there since 1976, and kicked and screamed about getting a fax machine in 2002, and are determined to never touch a computer.

This is how we beat Skynet people.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

TTerrible posted:

I was faxing signed purchase orders in 2016.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

TTerrible posted:

Mostly for the healthcare industry to bypass restrictions.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Nice mascara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
those are pretty good eyes to be honest