Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

SexyBlindfold posted:

Also a bit of a long shot, but for a live action show you could check out "Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories". Definitely hits that cozy vibe.

Not a long shot for me; I love live-action series! Right now, I'm running through the backlog of Isekai Izakaya Nobu's live-action rendition, as apparently there IS one and I never thought to check until this comment.

I know this isn't the thread for it, but if you have live-action recs, pass 'em over too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

just realized that i don't think it was mentioned yet, but at least early on 'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess deals a good bit with the tantalization of delicious food. branches out from there to other fun things in life (to what extent i'm not sure since i've only watched the anime) but it never really eliminates food from the equation entirely

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Iirc She Loves to Cook, She Loves to Eat also has a live action show

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's also Beauty and the Feast which is just one of the most :discourse: localized titles I've ever seen, about a widow who loves to cook but has nobody to cook for anymore after her husband died, until a high school baseball player aiming to go pro moves in next door. It's very charming, and is completed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

“Gintama is the Seinfeld of anime” is loving great lol

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Hakumei to Mikochii has lots of food and comfy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
More of an anime music request. I was out watching Princess Mononoke Friday night in theaters and I remembered how much I love the music. Now Joe Hisaishi has a ton of different albums for his work on Ghibli films that include variations on his music, from piano solos to full orchestra renditions. If I wanted to get my hands on his albums what would my best options be with regards to price, North American accessibility and availability, and content?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

my gf is looking for some good romance anime in a fantasy setting, if that's a thing. she says she's offput by all the romantic anime she's seen so far being about highschoolers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hey mom its 420 posted:

my gf is looking for some good romance anime in a fantasy setting, if that's a thing. she says she's offput by all the romantic anime she's seen so far being about highschoolers.

If a fantasy anime with romance is okay, Banished from the Hero's Party night be what you want. It doesn't tease, it's just straight up a relationship between the leads.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hey mom its 420 posted:

Snow White With The Red Hair
The World is Still Beautiful

also if she just wants adults there's some college set romance anime like nodame cantabile and sign of affection (currently airing)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

hey mom its 420 posted:

If she doesn't mind currently-running shows, Unnamed Memory is airing this season.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

thanks for the suggestions y’all!

in other news i just finished reading dorohedoro and it owned. definitely one of my fav comic books

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

its anime is getting a second season!

at some point!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if you liked dorohedoro give dai dark a read, it's q hayashida's currently running manga.

it doesn't really fully recapture dorohedoro's charm imo, and it's distracting how like 3 characters have nikaido's face, but it's pretty fun in its own right. mostly i just miss the magic system, dai dark is running on cartoon "make it up as you go along" rules near as i can tell. still, "what if dorohedoro was in space" is a great read.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Paracelsus posted:

If she doesn't mind currently-running shows, Unnamed Memory is airing this season.

I read the first set of the novels, but got a bit confused by the reset/time warp that came between books 3 and 4. I should go back and read them.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

hey mom its 420 posted:

It's more of a fictionalized period setting than fantasy proper, but I recommend The Snow Country Hunting Life of the Northern Nobleman and the Eagle-like Wife. Gentle minor noble from a podunk nowhere town in not-Finland gets engaged to a stoic, tomboyish war veteran (from not-Prussia? idk). Initially it's a marriage of convenience but as they get to know each oth:words:. It's cute!

e: oh wait you mean anime. idk then. maybe The Ice Guy And His Cool Female Colleague? the fantasy element is mostly set dressing for what's otherwise a fairly standard office romance, though.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 14, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Spice & Wolf, maybe?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Ancient Magus Bride, Endo and Kobayashi's PbP on the Tsun de Rais Villainess, Maou Yuusha maybe too?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Spice and Wolf is good, but the first anime skips a lot, even though it only gets through like book... 3? 4?

The new anime is supposedly much more accurate to the novels, but it's still airing, and certainly won't get through the whole story. There's like 25 novels lmao.

But it is excellent, I definitely recommend it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wouldn't say the new S&W anime is more or less accurate than the 2008 one it's just probably not going to skip a full volume down the road like that one did.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I just finished Yakumo-san wa Ezuke ga Shitai, and I quite enjoyed it, but I'm a little confused by the ending. (also spoilers for Gal Gohan, since I used it as a point of comparison).

Did they end up together, or not? The scene towards the end at the cherry blossoms seemed to be indicating an ending like Gal Gohan, with her waiting for him to graduate (she even says "I'll wait"), but then the final chapter is a meal with all the main characters, not them specifically, and saying she'll continue to feed them? No indication that they're anything more than just close/friendly.

I honestly figured the series would end one of two ways: either it'd end like Gal Gohan, or Yakumo would end up being kind of positive influence on Yamato opening up and he'd end up with Rui.

Anyway that's my thoughts on a cute romantic comedy manga.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
48th Annual Kodansha Awards Announced

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Frieren isn’t even published by Kodansha. Good for it

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

Frieren isn’t even published by Kodansha. Good for it

A few non-published series have won in the past like Ore Monogatari or Medalist winning the Shogakukan Award.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm not sure where to ask about manga recommendations, but has anyone here read ツレ猫 マルルとハチ before? I’m starting to learn Japanese and want to use manga as a target for learning to read in kana and kanji. It seems to feature cats prominently and, as a cat enthusiast, I’d love to hear some recommendations for manga where cats are the main stars of the show. I think there’s also a horror manga by Junji Ito which also features cats but I don’t know the name.

(PS I love how Kodansha advertises the former by just having the characters meow their lines constantly lol:

https://youtu.be/Iy5RmPB1T80?si=oFPy2_5Wdi7duiku
)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Junji Ito’s Cat Diary isn’t a horror comic, it’s just drawn like one. It’s a comedy about his real life cats.

There’s no shortage of cat manga. Chi’s Sweet Home is the most famous one in the US (or, at least, one of the earlier prominent releases), there’s the 80s/90s series What’s Michael, there’s Cat+Gamer, A Man and His Cat, Creepy Cat, Wonder Cat Kyuu-chan… I could go on.

I like Cat on the Hero’s lap, the manga where a Dragon Quest-esque hero isn’t able to help the rest of the party because there’s a cat on his lap and of course he can’t get up, the cat’s so comfortable

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Red Cat Ramen is a fun manga about a ramen shop operated by cats and a tiger.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
unrelated to any previous conversations, I feel strongly, and for no apparent reason, that you should go and read DANDADAN. I have only good feelings about this. Goodbye.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

People already mentioned Uzaki-chan which features a literal goblin girl so I'll add in Chio's School Road, Asobi Asobase, Dropkick on my Devil, and Gabriel Dropout.

I can't recommend Chio's School Road enough. It's an absolute crime that that show only got one season. Chio and Manana's relationship is one of the realest depictions of a highschool nerdass friendship I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Majorian posted:

I can't recommend Chio's School Road enough. It's an absolute crime that that show only got one season. Chio and Manana's relationship is one of the realest depictions of a highschool nerdass friendship I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG7FkccJ0wk

Only TRUE friends would do something this loving cringe together. And yeah I 100% agree that it's bullshit this never got another season.