Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Plek posted:

Yes, it is in CombatGameConstants.json as "test_mechscalewhatever=1.25" and I am 100% sure they are scaled up so as to be more visible on the battle map since the colors are usually awfully washed out or the contrast is too low or something and it makes the mechs kind of blend into the background. I don't see a spot to scale the vehicles up to scale or I'd recommend doing that instead.

gently caress that, give all mechs bighead mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
A hard to gently caress up strategy is aim for a mech's legs.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Synthbuttrange posted:

gently caress that, give all mechs bighead mode

make the heads get even bigger as they take head hits

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Woah, all the missions are coming up with "commander we need bigger mechs, you fuckwit" prompts.

Guess it's time to do story missions? I'm at the SDLFLFLAL whatever its called base one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Woah, all the missions are coming up with "commander we need bigger mechs, you fuckwit" prompts.

Guess it's time to do story missions? I'm at the SDLFLFLAL whatever its called base one.

If you can manage the first part with the mechs you have, you could probably pull off the second one. What I used were 3 heavies and the medium though, and it was pretty rough and i took several shots at it and figured out where i should be hunkering up. It'll probably murder you regularly for a few tries

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahaha gently caress maybe I need to lay off a bit. Was watching the news and a bit about a drug overdose at a rave came up, accompanied by footage of the party with red, blue and green lasers shooting everywhere and I flinched.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I'm running around with a Cataphract-1X(?), two Griffins (one of each), a Trebuchet, a Huncback (Laser one), a Centurion and a Blackjack, so I feel like I've got a decent amount of weight stuff. I sold my Kintaro as I wasn't too impressed it with, that may have been a mistake.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You should be okay I think, you'll just need a few runs of that mission because it's got quite a few quirks to it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Will give it a punt after one of these missions and see how I get on, cheers bud!

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

348 Alpha.
288 Heat netural.

PPC on there mostly because there was tonnage over after the SRMs.

It's silly really. Can take a bit of work to get into range but JJs help with that and with the current AI it's not like it's a huge issue.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, SRMs should probably only get +1/2 damage rather than 2/4.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 6, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

InAndOutBrennan posted:

348 Alpha.
288 Heat netural.

It's silly really. Can take a bit of work to get into range but JJs help with that and with the current AI it's not like it's a huge issue.

Excuse me sir there's space for more medium lasers on that thing :colbert:

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Just did a story mission against what felt like infinite shreks, bulldogs, and manticores. That was a goddamn slog considering how easily tanks normally break even with full armour. Kamea survived at the end with 1 structure on the CT (with no armour front or back!) and 8 on the head. My commander is attending post-battle debriefs from a bucket for 55 days after my grasshopper got cored drawing fire away from her. Also the second mission in a row with side objectives which are literally unwinnable unless you have a locust with you because of how fast APCs drive on roads.

The grasshopper is the mech I spend the most time hovering over the eject button with. Even with an evasive pilot and max jets it tends to go to pieces easily, but it seems like a waste to keep it in the back line with larges and PPCs.

I hope someone mods in some more heavy mechs soon, I've got about six quickdraws in the cooler for a rainy day as it's the only mech that reliably doesn't die to CT loss for me when I call shots literally anywhere else.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Tryna figure out what to do with a highlander 733p and a battlemaster. I kinda got the perfect lance. SLDF highlander, orion for brawling, blackknight for closein brawling+knockdown with a PPC, and a lrm jager.

I just dont know how to fit them up that makes it worth shelving any of my heavies. Put em in storage for now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ditty bout my clitty posted:

It looks like a transformers toy from the eighties that turns into a car

"Transform and squat out, comrade Bumblebee!"

Pierson posted:

How do you guys build your free Highlander? Is the default kit good enough or should I pick between SRMs or LRMS rather than one of each?

3 PPCs and enough heat sinks to make the Awesome jealous.

Sombrerotron posted:

Man look at this guy here.

Battletech more like Battloltech

Legitimately one of the most dangerous Clan heavy 'Mechs and bringing one will get you kicked out of games for being an rear end in a top hat.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Viva Miriya posted:

Tryna figure out what to do with a highlander 733p and a battlemaster. I kinda got the perfect lance. SLDF highlander, orion for brawling, blackknight for closein brawling+knockdown with a PPC, and a lrm jager.

I just dont know how to fit them up that makes it worth shelving any of my heavies. Put em in storage for now.

Make a hot lance and a cold lance so you're ready for every biome.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Battletech has always been a tiny number of cool looking mechs, and tons and tons of awful/silly ones.

mechwaifu

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The society-style redesigns that--I think Alex did?--for the ProtoMechs are pretty solid and if Catalyst cared about ProtoMechs in the slightest (they don't, ProtoMechs are awful) I'm certain they'd have been adopted right away.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Minotaur fails to capture the essential robo-diaper aesthetic

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The society-style redesigns that--I think Alex did?--for the ProtoMechs are pretty solid and if Catalyst cared about ProtoMechs in the slightest (they don't, ProtoMechs are awful) I'm certain they'd have been adopted right away.
Why's the original Siren design got an O-face

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Tips for people having trouble post prison break :

You don't have to kill everything or complete every objective to win. If you barely wipe out one lance and there's another? Withdraw. It isn't worth losing your mech or pilot and as long as it says you're withdrawing in good faith you still get rep, money, and salvage. If you're completely hosed, withdraw anyway. It's better than sitting out the med bay time for your A team.

Kite the enemy as hard as you can. Put PPCs, LRMs, large lasers, whatever you can on your mechs and have someone with sensor lock in a fast mech. Get near the edge of sensor range, lock a target, and poke it to death. It may take a while but you'll get shots in relative safety. Keep your sensor lock mech in cover if possible, high evasion and vigilance if not. You don't need line of sight for sensor locks.

Melee is fun but wait until you have a clear advantage before using it. Jumping in and punching the first dude you see is going to get your mech surrounded, knocked down, and killed.

Jumpjets are handy but if you're light on firepower, drop them for more or bigger guns. Light mechs in particular don't have much weapon space.

Learn to love the knockdown. Lasers are more efficient damage but knock downs can kill the pilot in just a few turns, getting you guaranteed salvage. +stability damage LRMs are ideal for this in light mechs.

Use cover. Trees will reduce incoming damage by 25%. Three or four pips of evasion isn't much and will be defeated by a sensor lock and a round of fire. Don't be in the open at the end of your turn. Use vigilance when you can, it's just like Brace but you can still move and shoot after using it.

Reserve and let the enemy move first. The AI doesn't reserve so if it has no good shot it will move and brace, saving you some incoming fire. This is situational, if you have a mech in danger with low evasion or high stab damage, move it.

For mission rewards, always have at least two selectable salvage. Three if you can. Even another light mech is worth more to sell than that extra 100k getting less stuff would get you.

Taking out a larger force is a major part of this game and you'll almost never have a fair fight. Use every tool you have to your advantage and you can handle just about anything the game throws at you.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 6, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pierson posted:

How do you guys build your free Highlander? Is the default kit good enough or should I pick between SRMs or LRMS rather than one of each?

I refit mine with autocannons instead of the gauss rifle because I’m nervous about losing the cool gun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ha I didnt lose it.

I lost the ammo container. :(

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

I refit mine with autocannons instead of the gauss rifle because I’m nervous about losing the cool gun.
What's the point of having the cool gun if you don't use it though?

On subject of that mech though I admit I run it as-is, except upgrading Medium Lasers to + variants, and adding a cockpit mod. The thing doesn't need anything more, it murders other mechs perfectly well with stock loadout.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Excuse me sir there's space for more medium lasers on that thing :colbert:

Heh. But being heat neutral with the SRMs is just so nice. If you're not shooting erry turn something is wrong.

And the PPC has grown on me for poking stuff at range when the need arises. So who knew, a bracketish build that I enjoy.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

You, uh, are really optimistic about having 15 opportunities to use those AC/20s, aren't you?

I brought that much on my king crab and I've run it near empty several times. Five skull missions regularly have you facing off against multiple assault lances and sadly sometimes you have to blow your morale on something other than called shot. There's never a reason not to shoot though.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zore posted:

I went Gauss/PPC/LRM20/LRM10. Monster sniper that way which keeps the uniqie stuff safe.

Same build I went with. Everything with +stab or +dmg. It will core out most heavies and below with a called shot to CT.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

"Transform and squat out, comrade Bumblebee!"

3 PPCs and enough heat sinks to make the Awesome jealous.

I loved the grand titan

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo, that loot from Grave Robbers :stare:. For anybody who hasn't played that one yet: You will get full salvage, and you get some toys that will make pilot killing way easier for that mission. Exploit the hell out of that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Perestroika posted:

Holy poo poo, that loot from Grave Robbers :stare:. For anybody who hasn't played that one yet: You will get full salvage, and you get some toys that will make pilot killing way easier for that mission. Exploit the hell out of that.

I assumed you wouldn't get salvage because you're booking it away from a battalion of Space Texans, what are your pilots gonna do, stuff a disabled mech in their loving pockets? :argh:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo, ha ha ha, I've only now noticed his left shoulder is spelling "ROLL OUT", that's loving great :allears:

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I've been ignoring the story missions but still early in the game because I'm still fighting mostly mediums with some heavies...
I just got a hunchback ac20 model and a kintaro and now my force is a wreaking ball.
The kintaro with 4 SRM6 is just a knockdown beast.
The ac20 hunchback armor is huge and most shots with the ac20 can just obliterate CT in one volley.
Running Vindicator, hunch, Centurion, kintaro now and have 2/3 for grasshopper, Dragon, Jagger, thunderbolt...

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dramicus posted:

It's kinda how IRL composite armor means modern tanks weigh the same or less than ww2 tanks, but are physically much larger, faster, better protected, and with more firepower.

Modern tanks weigh as a much as a Stalker. An Abrams clocks in at 80-85tons.

Its better to just not think about Battletech and "realism".

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

InAndOutBrennan posted:

348 Alpha.
288 Heat netural.

Why not remove the PPC and put on 6 medium lasers?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Xae posted:

Modern tanks weigh as a much as a Stalker. An Abrams clocks in at 80-85tons.

Its better to just not think about Battletech and "realism".

65t with all the bells and whistles, but yeah. Pretty much every mech would snap their legs off, but the rule of cool overrides physics.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Why not remove the PPC and put on 6 medium lasers?

Unlike MWO, bracket builds are pretty good. There will be situations where the enemy is out of SRM range. Plus its a nice holepuncher for your SRM sandpaper to exploit for crits.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So is the only Atlas in the game, plot related?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Finished the game, really enjoyed it.

The highlander I got carried me through the game.

Also 7 mlas scout grasshopper scything limbs and legs of mediums with a single salvo never gets old.

hooman fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 6, 2018

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Unlike MWO, bracket builds are pretty good. There will be situations where the enemy is out of SRM range. Plus its a nice holepuncher for your SRM sandpaper to exploit for crits.

I don't think firing ineffective salvo when you can brace is a good idea. Especially if the enemy lance has a lot of LRM. Anything not braced will 100% be focus fired from all the LRM on the map and knocked down. It's not like the AI will kite you. You'll be out of SRM range for two turns at most on the approach.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So is the only Atlas in the game, plot related?

I got my Atlas in a random assassination mission right after the vault mission.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
The Dragon is so disappointing. It only has 1 ton more space to play with than a Shadow Hawk, but less space than a Centurion, Hunchback or Enforcer. Its max armor values are seemingly not better than a fully armored Centurion, either, so the only thing I get for being stuck in the Heavy initiative slot is a weapon slot layout I don't hate and more structure hitpoints, which isn't often relevant since I don't get mauled that badly on most missions.

Love my Thunderbolt, though.

I'm 2/3 on two separate Jagermechs (Balistics and missile variants), and 1/3 on two separate Orions, a Black Knight and a Catapult K2 (not the one from a plot mission). Also got bits for two more Thunderbolts. Really hoping to replace the Dragon soon. I expect I'll bench the Dragon before I upgrade my LRM Centurion (which has more free tonnage than a Dragon).

Also, the Smithon mission felt like a tedious slog.