Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

chitoryu12 posted:

I've never managed to figure out why I like Murdered: Soul Suspect so much. Objectively, I should have found the gameplay dull and the length unsatisfying. Instead, I ended up engrossed from start to finish and completely unable to put it down.

I KNOW! I did the same thing. Got off of work early yesterday and burned through it in about five hours, minus a dinner break. I think the fact that it's more like a short visual novel pretending to be an action adventure game helps make it so engrossing.

I mean, there might be a lot of negatives in all those words I wrote about Murdered, but the fact that I wrote that many words should tell you how much I liked it. It's a really cool experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There are no bad games that start with the premise 'you're a ghost figure out why you died'.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dreadwroth posted:

drat that makes me sad, I was hoping Distrust was going to be a good game.

It sucks because I REALLY like the mechanics of multitasking you dudes to search and survive, learning when to group them together, keep them safe and rotating their sleep to gain their stats back. It feels like The Sims but with a purpose and a cool horror feel to it. Outside of the RNG that screwed me over, I really don't like the enemies. They're not interesting or scary at all and there's basically nothing you can do about them. I did have a Ghostbusters looking trap that I could set-up but I never used, so I resorted to keeping the bunkers lit and warm and once had to use a gun (I found a total of 3 bullets in my playthrough and two guns). The biggest problem is that EVERY god drat structure only has one entrance, meaning that if the power and heat turn off the enemies will enter from the only door that you can escape from and you will take damage because they don't search for you, they know where you are at all times so if you stay still or try and run out you'll be taking damage. It's really weak, I feel as though they didn't have any ideas for interesting enemies and this was a last minute thing. Shame.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

mysterious frankie posted:

I KNOW! I did the same thing. Got off of work early yesterday and burned through it in about five hours, minus a dinner break.

Just finishing up Murdered: Soul Suspect and, I gotta say, it's a decent enough title to add to a Halloween gaming lineup if you find it on sale before October.
I don't know if it's at all workable, but the idea of a Halloween gaming lineup that's finish-able in a month is I think really brilliant. I like when the Horror Movies Thread does their halloween streams, and I guess this would be the gaming version of that.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I love/hate Murdered. I bought it on release for PS4 and sold it to a used-games place the same day, hilariously. I'm very glad I played it, but I doubt I'd ever buy it again. I can't see there being a lot of replayability, and the section at the end where you're trapped in a house or whatever and have to dodge a bunch of the evil ghosts felt clunky as hell and kind of just there to extend the gameplay or make it more "suspenseful." Not sure if that's actually worth a spoiler tag, but oh well.

That said, it's absolutely worth playing if you can get it on the cheap on Steam or whatever, just on the grounds of being something very different.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I love/hate Murdered. I bought it on release for PS4 and sold it to a used-games place the same day, hilariously. I'm very glad I played it, but I doubt I'd ever buy it again. I can't see there being a lot of replayability, and the section at the end where you're trapped in a house or whatever and have to dodge a bunch of the evil ghosts felt clunky as hell and kind of just there to extend the gameplay or make it more "suspenseful." Not sure if that's actually worth a spoiler tag, but oh well.

That said, it's absolutely worth playing if you can get it on the cheap on Steam or whatever, just on the grounds of being something very different.

The Judgment House demons are the closest Murdered comes to being outright lovely (GAME: Hey, I heard you really liked hiding from those demons and offing them using glitchy assassination controls! ME: No, that's my least favorite part of- GAME: Awesome! Here's four of them all clustered together! )

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Beksinski/Giger inspired Scorn will be hitting kickstarter, the release date has also been pushed back to 2018.

Kickstarter goes live next week on the 5th.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Judgment House demons are the closest Murdered comes to being outright lovely (GAME: Hey, I heard you really liked hiding from those demons and offing them using glitchy assassination controls! ME: No, that's my least favorite part of- GAME: Awesome! Here's four of them all clustered together! )

That's true, the rest of the game is just kind of a fun murder mystery romp. I didn't find wandering around the town all that interesting, though, and it seems like the charm of Salem seems to be a draw for some people, apparently.

But seriously killing ghosts feels 100% like somebody working for Squeenix played the game and went "no no guys, all video games need combat, even if it's rage-inducing"

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I seem to remember that there was a Ghostbusters game around the 360/Wii era that was well regarded. I know it's only tangentially horror, but has anyone played it / worth digging up a copy?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bogart posted:

I seem to remember that there was a Ghostbusters game around the 360/Wii era that was well regarded. I know it's only tangentially horror, but has anyone played it / worth digging up a copy?

Game's good fun and worth picking up, it all feels very authentic to the original movie, it also helps that you can regularly find it for dirt cheap last I ever looked.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, Ghostbusters is another good one if you're looking to add a palate cleanser for an October marathon. Still Halloweeny, because it's about ghosts, but not scary or gory. Just really really fun and really really Ghostbusters.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It is no longer available on steam unfortunately but yeah it was by far the closest you'll get to a ghostbuster 3.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FirstAidKite posted:

It is no longer available on steam unfortunately but yeah it was by far the closest you'll get to a ghostbuster 3.

It was on Steam? I had no idea, that sucks. I hate when games are pulled due to licensing poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I played through Ghostbusters when it was on OnLive (remember that?). Like was said before, it's basically Ghostbusters 3 and even got all the voice actors back together for it but also has a legitimately good game hidden behind all the references.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

s.i.r.e. posted:

It was on Steam? I had no idea, that sucks. I hate when games are pulled due to licensing poo poo.

Yeah, in the last but one (I think) big sale, I bought Ghostbusters for something like £1.40?

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

But seriously killing ghosts feels 100% like somebody working for Squeenix played the game and went "no no guys, all video games need combat, even if it's rage-inducing"

Exactly this. But! For a pure story experience with none of the bad tacked-on combat you can make the ghosts unaware of you by changing a single word of an .ini file; the how-to is listed in the steam community guides.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ghostbusters is good. I think it got removed from Steam, and then readded, and I picked it up on sale, and then it got removed again.

There's a couple more recent ones, Sanctum of Slime which was a sequel to that one, and a tie-in to the latest movie, but I heard neither was any good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Doesn't Steam also remove the store page for games you can't buy anymore? That's the worst. I remember there was a Wallace and Gromit game but I never knew if it ever hit PC and Steam so when I searched nothing showed up, one of my friends shared his Steam account with me and the games were there. Really dumb.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

Doesn't Steam also remove the store page for games you can't buy anymore? That's the worst. I remember there was a Wallace and Gromit game but I never knew if it ever hit PC and Steam so when I searched nothing showed up, one of my friends shared his Steam account with me and the games were there. Really dumb.

Yep, I've got a pretty good handful of games no longer on there, the Ghostbusters game, Scratches which was an okay if really obtuse sometimes point and click, Second Sight which was a neat psychic game from the Timesplitters people.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Oh poo poo! I remember second sight. I used to obsess over a little strategy guide about it in Nintendo Power. Remember at the beginning your dude was mad messed up looking and it freaked me out.

Dunno if it was any good at the end.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Bogart posted:

Oh poo poo! I remember second sight. I used to obsess over a little strategy guide about it in Nintendo Power. Remember at the beginning your dude was mad messed up looking and it freaked me out.

Dunno if it was any good at the end.

It was in fact pretty cool, but yeah your guy wakes up in a facility all kinds of torn up looking like right off the bat.

Had a neat lookin cover too that I always remember.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 30, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It unfortunately came out around the same time as PsyOps, another forgettable but decent 'AA' game we don't see anymore these days. Second sight kind of lost out because it's more of a stealthy slow paced game while PsyOps was straight action.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Second Sight had an amazingly excellent twist, though.

The right kind, where it's foreshadowed just enough that after it happens you wonder why you didn't catch it before it did.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I never did finish Second Sight, I was stuck infiltrating an office level and my copy of the game would glitch, losing all sound effects. I really liked it up until then.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i figured it had had one for a while now

c u in 2020 and beyond, game

Relin fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 31, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So White Day remake is pretty clunky and rough but just like the original game it's still really unique and well crafted. Where Western horror games are really focused on monsters, Asian horror is focused on ghosts and superstition and White Day has a lot of clever scares that trigger unknowingly. Like instead of one of the collectibles being stupid notes it's hidden ghost scares that are all pretty clever.

It still suffers from the same issues of the original in that it doesn't know if it wants to be an action-horror or a puzzle-horror. In Resident Evil and the like you're given safe rooms and pause menus to solve the puzzles, but here there's a monster or two that basically patrols the entire building and will not leave you alone while you're simultaneously trying to do puzzles. It's like a prototype to Alien but you have no weapons and instead of the xenomorph losing interest to scurry up the ceiling the stalking monsters will just walk around the main hub area like "Yeah, I know you got to loving go through me to play the game."

But the adventure elements are still strong, the pacing is really fast, and there's plenty of content to justify the price tag. If it's on sale for a Halloween/Black Friday Steam thing I'll definitely point it out again because in 17 years there's still no game quite like it and it was basically the blueprint for every hide-from-monster first person game.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

It still suffers from the same issues of the original in that it doesn't know if it wants to be an action-horror or a puzzle-horror. In Resident Evil and the like you're given safe rooms and pause menus to solve the puzzles, but here there's a monster or two that basically patrols the entire building and will not leave you alone while you're simultaneously trying to do puzzles. It's like a prototype to Alien but you have no weapons and instead of the xenomorph losing interest to scurry up the ceiling the stalking monsters will just walk around the main hub area like "Yeah, I know you got to loving go through me to play the game."
Oh, so it's THAT level from SOMA.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
at least in white day you just die when your health hits zero instead of a monster touching you and then forcing you to stumble around uselessly like an idiot until you get the monster to kill you again so you can just loving play the game normally

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Blockhouse posted:

at least in white day you just die when your health hits zero instead of a monster touching you and then forcing you to stumble around uselessly like an idiot until you get the monster to kill you again so you can just loving play the game normally

Oh, so it's even more unbearable since you can't suicide into the enemies to get them to gently caress off for a while?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Pathologic remake is now being called Pathologic 2 and we should start getting alpha builds for it soon

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hel posted:

Oh, so it's even more unbearable since you can't suicide into the enemies to get them to gently caress off for a while?

The janitor is bad but there's only two of them and they're easy enough to avoid. The problem is their video game vision is pretty realistic meaning they have actual peripheral vision, will see you running down the hallway, and they check out any open doors and lights turned on. They're easy to avoid, just annoying to encounter. All the other ghosts are brief and exciting because it's usually part of a puzzle or something you discover.

PrairieBumpkin58
Sep 10, 2013

My mood today and every day.

al-azad posted:

So White Day remake is pretty clunky and rough but just like the original game it's still really unique and well crafted. Where Western horror games are really focused on monsters, Asian horror is focused on ghosts and superstition and White Day has a lot of clever scares that trigger unknowingly. Like instead of one of the collectibles being stupid notes it's hidden ghost scares that are all pretty clever.

But the adventure elements are still strong, the pacing is really fast, and there's plenty of content to justify the price tag. If it's on sale for a Halloween/Black Friday Steam thing I'll definitely point it out again because in 17 years there's still no game quite like it and it was basically the blueprint for every hide-from-monster first person game.

Indeed, though I will be honest I absolutely loathe the cheap jump scare that is the screaming lady head that attacks time to time. Always gets me. I think the issues with the game may just come down to inexperience from the developers: After all, South Korea (at the time of the original release) didn't have much of a video game industry if I recall. At least when compared to its neighbor Japan.

al-azad posted:

The janitor is bad but there's only two of them and they're easy enough to avoid. The problem is their video game vision is pretty realistic meaning they have actual peripheral vision, will see you running down the hallway, and they check out any open doors and lights turned on. They're easy to avoid, just annoying to encounter. All the other ghosts are brief and exciting because it's usually part of a puzzle or something you discover.

Realistic is an understatement. They can actually see you even though your in another wing just by spotting you from the window. It's actually pretty impressive they accomplished that.

PrairieBumpkin58 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 31, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AndrewEB posted:

Indeed, though I will be honest I absolutely loathe the cheap jump scare that is the screaming lady head that attacks time to time. Always gets me. I think the issues with the game may just come down to inexperience from the developers: After all, South Korea (at the time of the original release) didn't have much of a video game industry if I recall. At least when compared to its neighbor Japan.

Realistic is an understatement. They can actually see you even though your in another wing just by spotting you from the window. It's actually pretty impressive they accomplished that.

The haunted head ghost is probably the biggest step back compared to the original. In the original it's invisible in the center of your screen but slowly fades into view in the periphery. In the remake if it catches you it just fills the whole screen and screams. It's really cheap and I don't know why they made that change.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

al-azad posted:

The haunted head ghost is probably the biggest step back compared to the original. In the original it's invisible in the center of your screen but slowly fades into view in the periphery. In the remake if it catches you it just fills the whole screen and screams. It's really cheap and I don't know why they made that change.

That and the mirror knock are the two biggest changes that I really disliked, especially because both were really effective scares with almost no reliance on cutscene helplessness. The floating head was especially original, as I've never seen anything like it before or after that game; it made me fear quit the game the first few times she appeared because the rules for her were so different than what I had grown accustomed to with other horror games.

That said, almost everything else is better. I didn't encounter any game-breaking bugs, the graphics are real pretty, the translation is loads better. But those two moments of the game that I so clearly remembered are just ruined and it's sad.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

Do you have a vid of what she was like in the original? I tried looking it up on youtube but it just turns up results for the remake

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

FirstAidKite posted:

Do you have a vid of what she was like in the original? I tried looking it up on youtube but it just turns up results for the remake

I was wondering the same, that description sounds cool.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also, what's the mirror knock thing that was mentioned?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Headless Ghost: you can see a video of it in action here , under the gallery section there's a video. You can also see a younger John Wolfe get extremely scared by it in this video if you skip to minute 26.

The knock scare was really simple but I just happened to like it a lot I guess? You were in a dance studio and the room has a mirror covering one of the walls, with a CD player next to it. When you use the CD player your pov doesn't include the mirror, since you're facing down. And after you use it you hear someone knocking on the mirror, so you know you have to look up to know what happened, but really don't want to. When you do, you get the scare: your reflection has changes and is now hostile towards you. You can see it here , at around the 10 min mark.

Meallan fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 31, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

One of the Metro 2033 games does something like that, I can't remember which one it is but there's shadow people in one point of the game and their shadows only cast when they're in your peripheral vision. It's done really well, most of the time I was wondering what the hell I saw but when you turn it's gone until at one point I caught on and got to realize how they're making me see poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Meallan posted:

Headless Ghost: you can see a video of it in action here , under the gallery section there's a video. You can also see a younger John Wolfe get extremely scared by it in this video if you skip to minute 26.

The knock scare was really simple but I just happened to like it a lot I guess? You were in a dance studio and the room has a mirror covering one of the walls, with a CD player next to it. When you use the CD player your pov doesn't include the mirror, since you're facing down. And after you use it you hear someone knocking on the mirror, so you know you have to look up to know what happened, but really don't want to. When you do, you get the scare: your reflection has changes and is now hostile towards you. You can see it here , at around the 10 min mark.

Oh, cool. Thanks for explaining these.