Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I dunno, I haven't played BG2 in ages but I thought the voice was fine. My issue was that Minsc's plot is so much less well integrated into the panoply of possible game states you can find him in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

tarbrush posted:

I dunno, I haven't played BG2 in ages but I thought the voice was fine. My issue was that Minsc's plot is so much less well integrated into the panoply of possible game states you can find him in.

It is definitely awkward having multiple companions not come online until act 3. At that point you have like 80 hours put in with your go-to party. You're invested in their story, they have complimentary builds, everyone's geared up. You could of course just respec everyone to match what you were running before, but making Jaheira a light cleric or whatever feels bizarre. If/when I ever do another run I'll try to make myself use them rather than fall back into my Astarion/Karlach/Lae'zel/Shadowheart rut.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
it is very funny that if you side with brithvar but intend to kill them that it's actually easier to kill him and his dudes before you end the fight bc if they're green no matter what they won't respond to you attacking them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Larian's defense, it IS difficult to report a crime as you are being thrown off a bridge.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

In Larian's defense, it IS difficult to report a crime as you are being thrown off a bridge.

hey ET can you repost your frost sorc build

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

exquisite tea posted:

So I've just wrapped up my little Ray of Frost Sorc run and I figured that I'd do a more extensive writeup since it doesn't seem to be as well-known or talked about as Tempy Cleric or MM Wiz. But it's an incredibly powerful and rather fun build if you enjoy doing mega-critz and watching bad guys take 100+ damage from a 1d8 cantrip!! It also transitions quite easily into a standard Cold-based Sorc without too much imagination if you'd just rather focus on AOE and control rather than single target damage.

https://i.imgur.com/EKDO8rj.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/rYEG0Uy.mp4

Draconic Bloodline Sorc (White) - Armor of Agathys
Standard 17-16-14 CHA/CON/DEX setup assuming you're gonna get the +1 CHA powerup from Auntie
I made a Zariel Tiefling for funsies but any race will work here, probably Githyanki if you're powergaming.
You'll need to save the Tieflings for some rather important gear later on so you'll have to be a mostly nice character (or use mods)

The basic strategy is similar to the Tempest Cleric: We're going to create water surfaces using our Quickened Spell bonus action, then unleash twinned Rays of Frost (or any other AOE Cold spell) for BIG DAMAGE and icy surfaces that constantly knock enemies prone. The build truly "comes online" about midway through Act 2, although there is a steady power progression that makes it easy to start right at Level 1.

Act 1

Rain Dancer - You're going to buy this as soon as you reach the Emerald Grove and use it until Act 3. It's what will help us create water surfaces until we can put 1 point into Cleric much later on.
Ring of Protection - This build lacks compelling second ring choices so you might as well steal the idol for Mol.
Mourning Frost - Assembled from the three drow wizards in the Underdark. Take dual wielding as your first Feat so that you can equip this right at Level 4. Adds 1 min damage to all Cold spells and lets Ray of Frost inflict Cold vulnerability even without a water surface.
Winter's Clutches - Buy these from Lady Esther in Mountain Pass, or Sovereign Glut if you were evil.
Necklace of Elemental Augmentation - Found in the Githyanki Creche. Adds your proficiency bonus to Ray of Frost. At max level we're going to get FOUR of these, for a whopping +28 base damage to Ray of Frost with 24 CHA!

Alternates:
The Spellsparkler - Cheap pickup early on before you get the Mourning Frost / Rain Dancer combo.
Nere's Boots and Hoarfrost Boots - Probably not what you'll be wearing, but essential for your melee characters to keep them from slipping on your own ice surfaces. Found in Grymforge and Creche Y'llek, respectively.
The Protecty Sparkswall - Found in Grymforge, robe alternate until you get to Act 2.
Pearl of Power Amulet - Not what you'll be wearing but super useful to have early on to gain more Sorcery points. Buy from Omeluum.

You're going to need Twinned Spell and Quickened Spell metamagic on your Sorcerer. The rest can be whatever, I took Careful and Distant. At level 6 you'll get a bonus proficiency modifier added to all your Cold spells.
I entered the zaith'isk myself to get those sweet illithid powers as bonus actions although realistically you'll be casting Quickened Spell most of the time.
You can take ASI as your first Feat or (as I recommend) Dual Wield with Rain Dancer if you plan on nabbing +1 CHA from auntie.
Enhance Ability is a good spell to take early on if this is going to be your face character.

Act 2

Snowburst Ring - Now we're talking. Hightail it to Last Light Inn and scrape these off the floorboards. This makes ANY Cold spell create an icy surface, so now not only does your Ray of Frost leave bad guys vulnerable, they have a chance to go prone before their turn even comes up! Insanely OP ring.
Cloak of Protection - A caster doesn't have too many interesting cape choices until Act 3 so you might as well put this one on.
Coldbrim Hat - Found in Balthazar's room at Moonrise Towers. Adds more turns of Encrusted with Frost, which will stack nicely with Charm, Reverberation, and all the other debilitating effects you're piling on. Documented proof that pointy hats = superior gameplay.
Potent Robe - Gotta save the Tieflings, so no Dark Urge for you! Mega proficiency modifiers really start to make Ray of Frost hit hard. Make sure you have a nice dye available, I recommend Black & Azure from Araj.

ASI will be your second Feat and take you up to +5 CHA proficiency bonus. Between Draconic Bloodline, the robes, and our necklace we already have +15 base damage to Ray of Frost, doubled by water surfaces, which will increase to 3d8 at Level 10!
You'll want to learn Ice Barrage and Cone of Cold, of course. Twinned Haste is always nice to have as well, but practically speaking, you won't be using it too much with this build.
Spellcrux Amulet can be found in Moonrise prisons and will help greatly with those spellslot-hungry Sorcerors gobbling up all your metamagic points.

Act 3

Spellmight Gloves - You can steal these from Lucretious right at the start of the Act, or if you're patient, wait almost until you're about to kill Orin.
Bonespike Boots - Found in the cave near the Guild/Stone Lord dustup in Rivington.
Markoheshkir - Try to get to Sorcerous Sundries right away for all the bombass caster gear there. This is where you're going to get your 4th and final bonus proficiency bonus to Ray of Frost.
Birthright - Pointy hats! More Charisma! We should now be at 22 CHA.
Cloak of the Weave - Sold by the dwarven baddie Helsik at the Devil's Fee. No other real choice for a caster here so definitely pick these up.
Gemini Gloves - Another potentially good choice for gloves if you'd rather focus on the force multiplier of having one additional Ray of Frost. There is a problem though... when combining them with Twinned metamagic, you can't actually cast Ray of Frost on the same target, which blunts their impact somewhat. Spellstrike is a little more well-rounded but if you're going all-in with cantrips, these can be fun to use.

Level 11 is when you're going to put 1 point in Cleric for Create Water and switch out Rain Dancer for Markoheshkir / Mourning Frost. I took Knowledge Domain for the Arcana Bonus, which made it a little easier to pass the DC25 checks for the Mirror of Loss and House of Hope, but you can do whatever here.
Do House of Grief right at Level 12 to get up to +24 CHA. Remember to save Headband of Intellect and Mage's Friend from Act 1 to pass the DC25 Arcana Check.
Staff of Spellpower, Woe, even Rhapsody can be good alternates to Mourning Frost if you need the Spell Save DC, although at that point in the game with 24 CHA I didn't find myself needing it.

All right well, that's about all the advice you need! Good luck and have a CHILL time. :cheers:

https://i.imgur.com/nq1HAuw.mp4

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

thanks big dog

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

BlazetheInferno posted:

As for Jaheira, she genuinely just responds well to being teased and cajoled. You'll never not gain approval for it, I'm pretty sure. I heard someone else comment that after so long as such a massive celebrity for her past adventures and being treated like a legend, she probably finds it refreshing and delightful to have someone be so irreverent. Plus I'm pretty sure she just enjoys crossing wits with people and engaging in Snark-to-Snark Combat.

I love her character in the game. She just seems like she never wanted the responsibility of being the great leader/is completely burnt out but is stuck with the job because she knows she's the most qualified and her sense of responsibility doesn't allow her to quit.

The party showing up gives her exactly what we needs, a chance to go back and have one kickass adventure while auditioning the party as worthy successors so she can walk away without feeling guilty about leaving the city undefended.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...Oooh. Oh.

So uhh, a while ago, I had Astarion go invisibly loot stuff on the docks behind the Bank. He left unseen, and no one was the wiser.

Until Scratch wandered outside on his own for some reason. Not sure if it was just pathing, or maybe he triggered his "sniff out hidden stuff" behavior.

But uhh, obviously he couldn't get away, so the Guards took him out. No harm done, it wasn't at camp so he's fine.

But it turns out that aggroing them back there turns ALL the Bank Guards permanently hostile.

Oops.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's very silly how multiplayer implementation in BG3 is worse than in DOS2.
I've spent the whole coop campaign being the Durge standing behind the party's "face" and every single character that should recognize me on sight just pretending that I didn't exist.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

looks fun. might try this next run.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
edit wrong thread

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Jack Trades posted:

It's very silly how multiplayer implementation in BG3 is worse than in DOS2.
I've spent the whole coop campaign being the Durge standing behind the party's "face" and every single character that should recognize me on sight just pretending that I didn't exist.

DOS2 co-op was the opposite where you didn’t want to get caught in the dialogue. Also I just noticed that Steam put individual privacy settings on games like back in December? Someone said you could but I never actually saw that new tab. This adds up to all the weird schedule conflicts and clairvoyance I was noticing in my game :argh:

I’m still holding out hope that Arcane Tricksters mage hand gets to pickpocket and lock pick one day :allears: Pathfinder lets you lock pick and disarm with it at least.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Game imitating everyone’s approach to his posting.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

What's your problem?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

What's your problem?

Lmao what the hell is going on, people were saying this to you in the Street Fighter thread as well. Did you post a controversial opinion about Dark Souls 2 or something?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SlimGoodbody posted:

Lmao what the hell is going on, people were saying this to you in the Street Fighter thread as well. Did you post a controversial opinion about Dark Souls 2 or something?

hahaha I believe I saw the same thing occur in some board gaming threads a handful of times too, over the past year or so. I can't say I'm entirely aware of what the issue with JT is exactly, but I must admit I had to chuckle at Shumagorath's post nevertheless :D Yeah, 'besmirched a goon-favourite game' is a good bet

(Speaking of Divinity, I bet Larian were itching to put their beloved Bellegar into BG3. It wouldn't surprise me if he was tucked away somewhere unseen with a single throwaway line, for someone to stumble upon and connect the dots someday)

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

I mean, it's probably a coincidence but good point.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The only hammer you need for Grym is Halsin on the top rope.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was feeling like Shadowheart was not being useful in combat so I respeced her to be a Light cleric, and gave her the chest armor that triggers a pulse when you do radiant damage, and a hammer that does radiant damage along with the shield that prevents being critted. She is suddenly packed with BOOM skills so I'll see if this is a worthwhile change.

I've been wandering the goblin fort and thought that maybe the priestess could remove the tadpole. Things took an unexpected turn and there was an appearance by a Mysterious Stranger and now I have all the priestess's stuff. Funny how that works. So I'm 0-2 on getting this thing out of my PC's head.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I was feeling like Shadowheart was not being useful in combat so I respeced her to be a Light cleric, and gave her the chest armor that triggers a pulse when you do radiant damage, and a hammer that does radiant damage along with the shield that prevents being critted. She is suddenly packed with BOOM skills so I'll see if this is a worthwhile change.

Oh hell yeah, welcome to the sizzle zone. You're gonna have fun with this. Radiant orb reduces enemy accuracy by 1 with every stack, and there is a piece of gear that I can't recall the name of that inflicts a stack of radiant orb when an enemy misses you. There are some really fun shenanigans you can get up to with radiant Shadowheart.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been wandering the goblin fort and thought that maybe the priestess could remove the tadpole. Things took an unexpected turn and there was an appearance by a Mysterious Stranger and now I have all the priestess's stuff. Funny how that works. So I'm 0-2 on getting this thing out of my PC's head.

yes, Light Cleric with all that gear pwnz0rz, but have u considered that it is a poor fit for her character thematically, hmmmm?????? :hehe:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Actually, respecing Shadowheart into a light cleric once she (re)turns to Selune is pretty much canon.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Lt. Lizard posted:

Actually, respecing Shadowheart into a light cleric once she (re)turns to Selune is pretty much canon.

Fun fact: Light is not actually one of Selune's domains. She does Life, Knowledge, and Twilight.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Woke Larian letting Sharran Light Clerics run wild out here feels like Im taking crazy pills???? 🤪😂

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
For some reason, my Halsin seems to have broken. I wasn't using him much so I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but at least since I rescued him from Orin, he's had 30 STR, CON, and WIS, and it persists through rests and stuff. I guess I shouldn't complain about having Thunder God Halsin on my team, but, uh, what exactly happened? Is it just a bug, or something else?

Lt. Lizard posted:

I didn't think about that until now, but it really does fit, doesn't it? Though I already broke the theme a bit by making her a Tempest Cleric.

Speaking of Shadowheart...

Episodeon CXIX: Donations To The Reverend Moon?
well how about Buddhism?

i'll give the Sharran cultists credit for one thing, their receptionist/secretary/whatever is pretty cute.
the angry Drow/reappearing character from BG1 and 2 (not that that means much to me), not so much.

yeah, i think Shadowheart is just a tiny bit pissed off. Viconia tried to bribe Zehra instead, because bribing a Paladin always goes well, right.

Zehra's reply was both what you'd expect, and what the Sharrans deserved.

Viconia is maybe the first second completely loathsome major villain in the game. no background tragedy, no excuses, just a singularity of horror and spite.
and to be honest, sometimes it's kind of nice to have someone you feel completely good for putting down. not every bad guy has to be a tragic monster or anti-villain.
i was half-expecting to get an oathbreaker for executing a fallen opponent, but nope! I guess the game agrees with me.
she dropped an extremely nice shield, too.

one of the sharrans in the cloister didn't join the fray, and turned out to be Shadowheart's best friend from before the many, many mind wipes.
she even told us about the little hiding place where she'd hang out with Shadowheart and do her (very impressive) hair up!
also, i stuck a half-assed collection of the notes and writings from around the Cloister here, just to make a point about how awful they are. and i haven't even gotten to the end...

because of course the goddess of spite and pettiness had one last insult left.
like with the Nightsong earlier, I left this decision entirely to Shadowheart, and i will say i was a bit surprised she let her parents go.
she got to know them for all of two minutes. :smith:

I'm sorry.

even cheesing the Mirror of Loss for a bunch of stat boosts didn't brighten the mood much.
Viconia's reward from her goddess being loving nothing besides the eternal void kind of did though. so did everyone finally hitting level 12.
oh yeah, on returning topside, we gave the bank their stolen money back, and looted Viconia's safe deposit box for good measure.

Anyways, I have a :siren: Very Important Question :siren: here. Do we...

break into Literally Hell, or into a vampire lord's castle? the latter's got a nice view from his patio/castle wall, I have to give him that.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 15, 2024

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
From a gameplay perspective, my vote would be Hell first; it's got a bunch of really nice treasure that will be useful for the rest of the game, while the vampire castle is a lot harder than it looks.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Thuryl posted:

From a gameplay perspective, my vote would be Hell first; it's got a bunch of really nice treasure that will be useful for the rest of the game, while the vampire castle is a lot harder than it looks.

Agree. Cazador is a bastard in both character and mechanics

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

because of course the goddess of spite and pettiness had one last insult left.
like with the Nightsong earlier, I left this decision entirely to Shadowheart, and i will say i was a bit surprised she let her parents go.
she got to know them for all of two minutes. :smith:

In my most recent playthrough, knowing the choice Shadowheart makes on her own I pushed her to do the opposite and I have to say I found that outcome to be a much more clear-cut happy ending. Like, I think the game fails here to set up compelling stakes, her parents are all like "you need to let us go or you'll never be free of your curse", but that curse is...chronic magic arthritis in one hand? The seriousness of Shadowheart's pain never seems particularly devastating, she'll wince and make a comment, and if you ask her about it she'll mention that it hurts like hell, but at the same time the pain appears to be fleeting, it doesn't affect her mood or behaviour in a way that suggests the chronic pain to be disabling--hell, in a group of up to 11 heroes who can only adventure as a group of 4 people maximum, she never even needs to take a day off sick. And yeah, I know--blah blah that's just a game mechanic blah blah--but the point is we never really see Shadowheart truly struggle with the pain her wound gives her.

Apparently she does decide the other way on her own, but only if you walk near the grave of Allister Marnley in the graveyard with her in the party, find the graffiti she drew near the Baldur's Gate waypoint, and then have a conversation about her memories.

And of course in the end if you free her parents the epilogue even has her mention that the pain is easing up. Unlike with the choice to let her parents die she never shows a hint of regret about her choice. It just feels unambiguously like a better ending for her.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Reveilled posted:

In my most recent playthrough, knowing the choice Shadowheart makes on her own I pushed her to do the opposite and I have to say I found that outcome to be a much more clear-cut happy ending. Like, I think the game fails here to set up compelling stakes, her parents are all like "you need to let us go or you'll never be free of your curse", but that curse is...chronic magic arthritis in one hand? The seriousness of Shadowheart's pain never seems particularly devastating, she'll wince and make a comment, and if you ask her about it

Look I'd gladly kill my parents to relieve the pain of this stubbed toe of mine

I mean what

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
The epilogue is superb for what it is, as opposed to no epilogue, which was just "A new day dawns! The End?" but I could have used a bit more melancholy and less of a feel like there really are Golden Endings by forcing certain paths

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I'm looking forward to the fleshed out evil endings. Riding a netherbrain with Bae Minty was great, but you just get the shot of the two of you and then fade to black.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

oddly enough, the bhaal ending was the only one I was really satisfied with, even though it's like two ominous shots of you just sitting down looking sinister.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Like my sixth playthrough and I've never found the Boots of Apparent Death before. I think I just never looked in that direction to see the gate before.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I didn't bother with the House of Hope my first play through. Should I agree to Raphael's contract, get the hammer, then break in and destroy the contract? Or should I just break in and steal the hammer?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

break in and kill his rear end

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah I prefer telling him to frig off and then breaking in.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Fighting Raphael is important simply because it's the highlight of the soundtrack during that fight.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Reveilled posted:

In my most recent playthrough, knowing the choice Shadowheart makes on her own I pushed her to do the opposite and I have to say I found that outcome to be a much more clear-cut happy ending. Like, I think the game fails here to set up compelling stakes, her parents are all like "you need to let us go or you'll never be free of your curse", but that curse is...chronic magic arthritis in one hand? The seriousness of Shadowheart's pain never seems particularly devastating, she'll wince and make a comment, and if you ask her about it she'll mention that it hurts like hell, but at the same time the pain appears to be fleeting, it doesn't affect her mood or behaviour in a way that suggests the chronic pain to be disabling--hell, in a group of up to 11 heroes who can only adventure as a group of 4 people maximum, she never even needs to take a day off sick. And yeah, I know--blah blah that's just a game mechanic blah blah--but the point is we never really see Shadowheart truly struggle with the pain her wound gives her.

Apparently she does decide the other way on her own, but only if you walk near the grave of Allister Marnley in the graveyard with her in the party, find the graffiti she drew near the Baldur's Gate waypoint, and then have a conversation about her memories.

And of course in the end if you free her parents the epilogue even has her mention that the pain is easing up. Unlike with the choice to let her parents die she never shows a hint of regret about her choice. It just feels unambiguously like a better ending for her.

Even if we accept the fleetingness of the pain is accurate and not just a result of being unable to accurately or consistently depict it in a videogame, it still means that Shadowheart is directly tied to one of the most evil gods in the setting for the rest of her life. Would you trust Shar with that kind of access to you to just leave it at some sporadic pain, forever?

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
if the evil gods are that much more powerful than the good gods then why bother resisting them at all