Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Could we have less "lol I played bad in <insert game> and people got mad at me" and more interesting stories like the EVE scams and the guy who managed to flood a town with slimes and used it to hold the town hostage? I understand if we're running low on poo poo given how long this thread has been going but there's no reason to fill it with unfunny white noise like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

flatluigi posted:

Could we have less "lol I played bad in <insert game> and people got mad at me" and more interesting stories like the EVE scams and the guy who managed to flood a town with slimes and used it to hold the town hostage? I understand if we're running low on poo poo given how long this thread has been going but there's no reason to fill it with unfunny white noise like that.

Ok... back in the day on tribes 2, there was a popular mod called tribes 2 construction. One of the VIP members of the development team was named "EEK AND IKE" and as far as I could tell, played like everyones favorite loveable retard. He would join the server, emote a bunch of woohoo's and shazbot's and dance around and everyone would worship him. So I decided to get in on the action, making an account called "EEK AND lKE". I joined a few servers and people built temples, elaborate throne rooms, etc, with EEK AND IKE lettering above it while I was afk. So I built gigantic penis shaped sculptures and put large beams through peoples buildings, gigantic lag sculptures etc. Some of these sculptures were a bunch of beams and forcefields all packed in a small area so that if you looked at it with a slow computer, your system would hang. I don't know if the other guy ever found out I was impersonating him but it was great fun while it lasted, I felt like some kind of living god with all the temples and structures and stuff people would build for me.

Also if a force field turned on when someone was inside it, it would electrocute and instant kill them, so I would add hidden forcefields tuned to people's switch frequencies inside their base and when they activated a switch it would fry them. Being EEK AND lKE made me fly under the radar with it, no one would ban a developer.

amp281 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 10, 2013

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PVP on my PVP server? I don't think so
(Skip the first paragraph if you don't care about the mechanics)

In the TERA MMO, there's a political system. Three continents divided into about 6-7 provinces. You get one vote per continent and participating guilds get to decide which provinces they want the most. It's not really a great system and really displays why political systems need to be more developed like EVE or excised entirely because they're fairly useless. Anyway, winners get to be Vanarchs. Being in a guild with Vanarchy gets you a sweet mount (With 10 more movespeed, 290 vs 280, which is the top speed for even the cashshop mounts) and... Not much else. Unless the province gets a ton of traffic, the taxes you can set won't cover the registration cost for the election. Furthermore, setting taxes (1-15%) and opening shops costs policy points, which are earned through special quests and the equivalent of Liking a guild daily. Vanarchs can make things less convenient but rarely can they actually ruin your game. Being Vanarch can be griefing yourself and your guild because you get involved in politics (And the company running the NA version encourages dirty politics) and maintaining enough policy points to keep services up. Most Vanarchy griefs involve maximum taxes, spamming chat with your special Vanarch channel, and the very act of having Vanarchy. They instituted a PVP method of deciding Vanarchy, leaving one province per continent to be decided by a FFA guild war between guilds competing for PVP Vanarchy. It was very mediocre and what typically happened was guilds dividing in two so they could farm kills, etc. At one low point of activity, one guild got a second vanarchy with their throwaway one because no one else registered for PVP vanarchy. Thankfully, TERA's population has skyrocketed since F2P and merging servers. It's still largely unfun and a chore to maintain because denying services or taxing 15% is typically a great way to ensure you won't get voted in next time, unless you belong to a voting bloc.

On PVE servers, PVP only exists in the form of Battlegrounds (Instanced team vs team), dueling, and guild wars. On PVP servers, there's the outlaw system. It's basically a toggle that lets you attack anyone and be attacked by anyone, but if you kill too many people more than 5 levels below yours, you're stuck in outlaw mode for some time. Naturally, the zone after tutorial island is basically outlaw heaven. They just wait outside down or at chokepoints to gank newbies. Now, there is one really nifty and expensive change a Vanarch can institute. They can turn off PVP in their provinces. Goons didn't get the province they wanted and turned off PVP in zones for levels 11-25. The outrage was massive. Gankers got angry since newbies could now saunter past their very obvious ambushes. People looking for good fights against gankers cried. Best of all were a number of forum threads crying about their 'right' to PVP, and how it was an outrage that the goon guild, Dragongod Knightkings, shut down PVP in one province in a PVP server. Some people called for bans. Surprisingly, a fair number of people on the forums applauded the decision or at least mocked the people whining. In-game however, goons got into a number of guild wars. People began offering gold for information on goon locations, etc. The best thing about it is that goons get a lot of free press. Sure, the gankers and people who think PVP is a god-given right are seething, but people new to the game are seeing the tears while enjoying the game. People aren't telling them to be thankful that the goons have done them this great service, they can see clearly from the amount of anger it has generated.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is there any MMO where we're not Kill On Sight for most of the non-Goon PvPers?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
More FFXI you say? Why not. How FFXI Made It Easy To Screw Everyone Over (Especially Lowbies):

Related to the Beastmaster griefing of releasing monsters on unsuspecting people earlier, there is an older, yet still unpatched method of screwing with people. See, they later patched the Beastmaster thing, so that if you released a monster from servitude in an area that wasn't inside its "wander zone" (the area in which it would walk around randomly of its own volition if idle after spawning) it would despawn near-instantly and respawn back in its wander zone.

To preserve certain strategies, however, this didn't apply to Notorious Monsters. NMs are basically just higher-level, rarer monsters with special names. Usually they're at least comparable to the levels of the monsters they spawn around - a level 10-11 rabbit NM inside a bunch of level 5-6 rabbits. NMs often have rare and sellable drops, obviously, being rare themselves. The catch is that the in-game "/check" system for evaluating a monster's level doesn't work on NMs. No matter the level of the NM, you get "The XXXX's strength is Impossible to Gauge!", from 50 levels below you to 50 above you. Anyway, NMs would not instantly despawn if they killed the person they aggro'd to or otherwise lost interest - they would sloooooowly walk back to their spawn point and stand there for a while before vanishing.

Now, there were some vast and notable exceptions to this "generally appropriately-levelled for the area" rule for NMs. Two spring to mind. The first one is an Orc NM from a high level mission, who was around level 70. He spawned in a newbie area just outside one of the starting towns, an area where level 1-10 people would be running around. Now, newbies couldn't accidentally happen upon him. He was spawned in an out-of-the-way part of the area, up an unclimbable cliff accessed via running through another, high-level zone, and spawned when someone on the mission in question clicked on a quest marker up that cliff. So you necessarily had to be around level 70 in order to even spawn him. It was sound, in theory, except the fact that mean-minded high level players could deliberately spawn this guy, leap off the cliff, run to the gate to town and vanish through it, leaving a very confused, very high level aggressive orc standing right where newbies would appear when leaving the city for the first time.

It was very common, when someone did this, for him to be up for hours at a time, knee deep in newbie (and mid-level) corpses standing at the gate to the city. People would try to leave, be aggressed, die instantly (sometimes before the zone even loaded on their screens) and have to respawn. Dying in FFXI loses you 10% of your EXP for the next level, as was said, so this was not... popular. Usually some level-capped people would have to come and clear him out or run him away. It could take a while to happen, as at that point reaching the level cap could take up to a year and nobody wanted to risk their level-capped job dying and levelling down again.

The second major NM exception to this rule was situated in a very popular level 10-20 levelling spot. Party camps in this area were generally full or over-full, and the area was widely hated by basically everyone for carrying a very high chance of dying in it. In addition, it was the place where most people were introduced to the idea of partying together for EXP for the very first time. Lots of new players running about. This NM was a level 60 Shadow NM, which look like dark, evil versions of the players. It spawned, again, in an out-of-the-way area of the zone, only spawnable by a certain person on a certain quest - in this case a level 50+ White Mage.

If a person was trying to put together a low-level party in this zone, and if the area they wished to party in was over-camped, it wasn't uncommon to ask a friend on that quest to spawn the monster, run it over to the group already in the place they wanted to set up camp at, and warp out of the zone on top of them. The NM would then, deprived of its target, immediately set about the lowbies there, effortlessly destroy them, and force them to respawn several hundred miles across the game world (there were no respawn points anywhere near here.) Some people kept their White Mage level 50+ with the quest active, but unfinished, specifically to do this on a whim, or as a favour for guildmates. If the NM happened to get dragged over to the town entrance nearby by people fleeing in panic, after this was accomplished, so much the better, and so much higher the death toll.

There were other exceptions to this, in other zones, but none had the massive level cap of these two, 60+ levels and 40+ above their depth respectively, and so these two had the greatest dickery potential. You can still do all this, but FFXI is an old game and those zones are basically dead now.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 10, 2013

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

CaptainScraps posted:

So me and several guildmates did a raid with 20 random people. I'm a druid-- generally considered crap, except for the fact we can resurrect people while combat is still happening.

WoW never could keep classes balanced in the long-term; I am sorry to hear that druids are so poorly regarded these days, as I had one during WotLK (healer/tank dual spec) and was desired everywhere - groups and raids. I was the #2 tank in a guild that was doing Icecrown, and did quite well. During this time, actually, melee DPS (cat form) druids could be the best DPS in the game, they were just insanely hard to play and gear and were all about over-time damage, with very middling burst damage. In long fights, though, they were impressive.

I actually got "griefed" (more like harmlessly pranked) once by my own guild as a sort of initiation, right after joining. I cannot remember the details too well, but we were fighting some boss where the floor would break away - I think that the boss looked like some sort of giant beetle (it's been a while). Anyway, and I feel like a fool for getting suckered into this, but the guild somehow convinced me that the boss could only be tanked by a druid in his humanoid form using Thorns (low-damage retribution shield) or some such nonsense. Druids were very good tanks, just not in their base form, and I was pissing myself I was so nervous. After the fight started and I was quickly stomped into powder, the guild let me in on the joke and we carried on (it was a pretty trivial fight for them).

I got them back, though. Later, we let in this very sweet lady druid and they tried to play the same trick on her, but I warned her about it and she did not fall for it, ruining their little game. I owed them that one.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I think it's worth noting that, in regards to XP loss and death, it works much different now. Characters from level 1-30 don't lose XP anymore. Afterwards, you only lose 8% of the max for the level up to 68. From there, it's hard capped at 2400xp.

Besides all that, you can instantly be Raised and get back most of your lost XP depending on what level of Raise was used. Raise 3 actually restores 90% of your lost XP, but again the amount is pretty negligible for end-game players that can make back 2400xp in practically no time. Especially in Abyssea, where you can get key items that reduce your base XP loss up to a maximum of 90%. So with a Raise 3 in Abyssea, you basically lost like, 30 XP.

All in all, dying isn't the big deal that it used to be. You still have to deal with Weakness status for 5 minutes after dying though. Some (terrible) people actually waste time brute forcing certain enemies by "Zombieing". This means they use certain pieces of equipment that have an Auto-Reraise effect, so they can instantly revive themselves after they die and get back to their wars of attrition. Although zombie fighting to keep an enemy from de-spawning after a bad wipe while your party recovers is super useful sometimes.

EDIT: Oh, there's also an extremely hard to get spell called Arise now. It cuts Weakness down to three minutes, and brings you back at your max weakened HP. It's one of those nice things to have, but not actually necessary.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 10, 2013

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Is there any MMO where we're not Kill On Sight for most of the non-Goon PvPers?

Only the ones we haven't played. :pseudo:

[EDIT]Actually, many people declared us KoS in Mechwarrior Online before the game was even playable, just due to Goons posting in the official forums. So "Only the ones we don't know about" might be more accurate.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

And that's not even the first time a Titangoon accidentally hit Jump. They really are bad at internet spaceships. :allears:
Hell, it wasn't the first time that particular player did it. It's almost his signature move. Goons are their own worst enemy. :derp:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Doodles posted:

Hell, it wasn't the first time that particular player did it. It's almost his signature move. Goons are their own worst enemy. :derp:

It's astonishing how true this is. Goons lost Delve because they are bad at accounting, Mittani lost his CSM position because he got drunk, and most of Goonfleet's biggest military defeats were due to them loving up somehow.

The best way pubbies have to defeat the goons is to just sit back and let them fling apart.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
And the most aggravating part to all the other players is that the general reaction among the rank & file in Goonfleet is always :welp: and they get right back to work.

Zaodai posted:

[EDIT]Actually, many people declared us KoS in Mechwarrior Online before the game was even playable, just due to Goons posting in the official forums.
Well, given how things have gone on MWO, they may get points for being prescient.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Doodles posted:

Well, given how things have gone on MWO, they may get points for being prescient.

Oh, we were poo poo-talking the pubbies from the start and playing up past goon-crimes to spur on their nerd rage as it was. I wasn't suggesting they were getting mad for no reason, only that we don't need the game to actually exist in a playable state to grief pubbies and be put on KoS lists. :v:

arcs
Jan 20, 2012

It's more or less the same as normal Countdown, except we play it on the street.
More FFXI. Because there really is that much to say about it.

One of the first endgame "bosses" was a dragon called Fafnir, who spawned in a small-ish area which was also populated with passive mobs called Darters. Back when I played, this was a timed spawn, and could be at any 30 minute interval over a 3 hour period. It's also worth noting that Fafnir had an obscenely powerful attack called Spike Flail, which did enough area damage to basically oneshot anyone even remotely nearby. He'd only use this when attacked from behind, and since just about every endgame linkshell (guild) had him on farm, this was never really an issue.

So when Fafnir did spawn, each linkshell would try to claim him as quickly as possible, making him unattackable to everyone else. Only, occasionally people would mistarget and accidentally attack one of the Darters...which would cause all the rest of the Darters to join in the fight as well, turning it from a relatively straightforward encounter into something considerably more complicated.
The best way to deal with this was to kill off all the Darters first, then switch focus back to Fafnir. But because the game was slightly buggy at times, sometimes this caused Fafnir to go back to being unclaimed, allowing other players to try to claim him instead - though this was frowned upon and rarely happened.

However, there was one occasion when a linkshell with a reputation for botting/general assholery managed to claim Fafnir but also got the Darters. All the other linkshells decided to hang around and watch, in case the guys that claimed wiped. And also just to lag the hell out of the area and make life even more difficult for them. Sure enough, at one point they lost claim on Fafnir and someone else grabbed it - however it wasn't even a rival linkshell, it was one of their ex-members who had apparently been stalking them and waiting for a chance to thoroughly gently caress them over. He then proceeded to do the unthinkable and attacked Fafnir from behind.

The resulting Spike Flail killed literally everyone in the area. 50+ max level players died with absolutely no chance of getting a raise (losing a big chunk of EXP in the process), and had to return to their homepoints, many of which were the other side of the world. Several linkshells tried to rush back in and try to kill Faf with a much smaller group of the people who had homepoints nearby, only to die again. There was a massive eruption of drama which lasted for weeks afterwards. It was brilliant.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I never played Everquest, but I remember it as that game that was breaking up marriages, getting people fired and kicked out of school because it was so addictive. How did this happen? It doesn't sound at all fun to play.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

I never played Everquest, but I remember it as that game that was breaking up marriages, getting people fired and kicked out of school because it was so addictive. How did this happen? It doesn't sound at all fun to play.

Everquest was really good at doling out rewards in small steps, and making each feel like an achievement. (Example would be camping Raster of Guk for my monk epic. I spent 40 hours on that camp, and I was very, VERY lucky to get him that quickly.) Basically, those small advances and the friendships you made online were what kept people going. Also, there's the little issue that for at least a couple years, the only other halfway decent MMO was UO.

Edit: For those who didn't play, Raster was an ultra-rare NPC that spawned inside a room deep inside a mid-level dungeon that was chock full of PC-hating frogs. The fun part was that that particular spawn was on a special timer, and Raster was only one of two NPC's who could spawn there. Basically, if you worked it right, you could get that spawn to appear three times per 90 minute game day, although not at 30 minute intervals. If I remember correctly, he had approximately a 1% chance of spawning, but was the only place to get the needed quest piece.

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 11, 2013

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Anything where you push a button and it makes a noise sometimes or a number goes up will do that. Some people just can't handle it, at all. If memory serves, there was a goon whose dad capped out credit cards and took out a second mortgage on flyff of all Grindy, Korean things.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I once played a Korean F2P MMO. I think that it goes by Ace Online now, but the main memorable thing was how the goons (I wasn't one at the time) managed to force a game mechanics change. The game was basically Starfox PvP: the MMO. That part was awesome, since they nailed the controls and combat was highly skill-based as a result, but as a Korean F2P MMO it had an absolutely loving ridiculous PvE grind attached. I mean an insane grind, to the point where you'd be lucky to gain .01% of a level in an entire solid day of grinding, and the only thing that kept me going as long as I did was the aforementioned shared misery and friendships made during play (and also a guild leader who was insane and paid their own real money to equip the top guild players - of which I was one, despite being under-leveled because that loving grind - with top-level equipment). The goons, though, had their moments. I only saw it from the outside, but it was still pretty funny.

The most notable feature of the game is that every character was locked into one of two "nations" at character creation, and PvP was completely free and open as long as you were attacking someone of the opposing nation. Indeed, they developers eventually made it possible to gain XP and/or cash from shooting down opposing-nation players. So naturally the goon squad made sure to camp the opposing nation's best early leveling areas 24/7 for the first months of the game, completely crippling the balance between the nations. Eventually the developers added second non-PVP versions of all the early zones to prevent that sort of thing, at which point the goons did exactly the same thing to the first neutral areas of the game (creating an identical-but-later-level bottleneck). It was pretty funny to watch the rage, especially since I was on the same nation as the goons but didn't have to do any work to reap the benefits in nation-versus-nation events.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 11, 2013

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Spike Flail drama was the best drama. There was always that one guy who would stand behind the dragon and spam cures on everyone in sight to try and make it Flail them.

Well, best except for maybe the thing that happened with Killuminati and Rustymetal on Bismarck, which is lost to the sands of time now. That was like... a personal feud with a GM involving multiple bans, outrageous hacks (for the time) and abuses of power. It culminated in them getting access to the phone number for the GM Room at SE and calling the dude personally, or something.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Corbeau posted:

I once played a Korean F2P MMO. I think that it goes by Ace Online now, but the main memorable thing was how the goons (I wasn't one at the time) managed to force a game mechanics change. The game was basically Starfox PvP: the MMO. That part was awesome, since they nailed the controls and combat was highly skill-based as a result, but as a Korean F2P MMO it had an absolutely loving ridiculous PvE grind attached. I mean an insane grind, to the point where you'd be lucky to gain .01% of a level in an entire solid day of grinding, and the only thing that kept me going as long as I did was the aforementioned shared misery and friendships made during play (and also a guild leader who was insane and paid their own real money to equip the top guild players - of which I was one, despite being under-leveled because that loving grind - with top-level equipment). The goons, though, had their moments. I only saw it from the outside, but it was still pretty funny.

The most notable feature of the game is that every character was locked into one of two "nations" at character creation, and PvP was completely free and open as long as you were attacking someone of the opposing nation. Indeed, they developers eventually made it possible to gain XP and/or cash from shooting down opposing-nation players. So naturally the goon squad made sure to camp the opposing nation's best early leveling areas 24/7 for the first months of the game, completely crippling the balance between the nations. Eventually the developers added second non-PVP versions of all the early zones to prevent that sort of thing, at which point the goons did exactly the same thing to the first neutral areas of the game (creating an identical-but-later-level bottleneck). It was pretty funny to watch the rage, especially since I was on the same nation as the goons but didn't have to do any work to reap the benefits in nation-versus-nation events.

I think I remember that one. Did it have that event where each nation had a "mothership" that everyone had to plink away at?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Taliesyn posted:

Everquest was really good at doling out rewards in small steps, and making each feel like an achievement. (Example would be camping Raster of Guk for my monk epic. I spent 40 hours on that camp, and I was very, VERY lucky to get him that quickly.) Basically, those small advances and the friendships you made online were what kept people going. Also, there's the little issue that for at least a couple years, the only other halfway decent MMO was UO.

Edit: For those who didn't play, Raster was an ultra-rare NPC that spawned inside a room deep inside a mid-level dungeon that was chock full of PC-hating frogs. The fun part was that that particular spawn was on a special timer, and Raster was only one of two NPC's who could spawn there. Basically, if you worked it right, you could get that spawn to appear three times per 90 minute game day, although not at 30 minute intervals. If I remember correctly, he had approximately a 1% chance of spawning, but was the only place to get the needed quest piece.

I think that there is a way around this now.

EverQuest was a monument to intermittent reinforcement schedules - B.F. Skinner would be proud. EQ was a trailblazing game, no doubt, but it benefited from the fact that it was the first of its kind in more than one way. Yes, it was unique for its time, but there was also nothing else out there to show that you could have a fun, expansive game without being sadistic and brutal. Say what you want about WoW, and it is very "care bear", but there are reasons that it makes more the GNP of the entire EU on a daily basis, and I am not the sort who necessarily thinks that richer = better.

Even today, now that it is less brutal, more generic, and faster paced, it is still a fuckton of grinding, and I most recently played on the Test server that has double experience. There are 100 levels now (test even lets you start at 25) and in order to be viable for the 100-level content you need thousands of AA points on top of just the levels. I think one untalked about aspect of EQ, especially back after the turn of the millenium, is that it kind of expects you to focus on one character and build him up for months on end. Nowadays, most people play 3 or more characters at once, but that is still kind of the expectation. Myself, I like to faff about with various different classes and do not much care for the end-game, so it becomes very repetitive.

These days, though, the world is massive beyond what you could ever imagine. I hate to think about the code base for that game, but it is a huge, amazing world the likes of which I do not think that we will ever see again.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

In Age of Wushu I sometimes take my Tangman around to areas that folks like to AFK in and clear them out. Tonight I was doing the needful and killed a guy. His guildmate was right nearby, saw what happened and came and killed me (my tangman is low level but I jacked his dart skills way up for ranged dickery). Then he said in zone chat that it's dishonorable to kill AFK people. I replied that it was dishonorable to be afk! Then he sent me some tells about how shameful and cowardly I am (with veiled threats):

I think I need to work on a more streamlined system to travel through all the best areas for this, but a lot of these locations are inconvenient to reach. It sort of reminds me of pirating boat miners and macroers in UO but I don't get a cool collection of boats out of it, unfortunately. If I can find some screenshots of my old UO pirate house decorated with ship models I'll tell those tales at some point.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Spike Flail drama was the best drama. There was always that one guy who would stand behind the dragon and spam cures on everyone in sight to try and make it Flail them.

Well, best except for maybe the thing that happened with Killuminati and Rustymetal on Bismarck, which is lost to the sands of time now. That was like... a personal feud with a GM involving multiple bans, outrageous hacks (for the time) and abuses of power. It culminated in them getting access to the phone number for the GM Room at SE and calling the dude personally, or something.

There Was a hack at the time for FFXI that allowed you to force disconnect anyone within 'hearing' distance of you, or to disconnect a single person by /tell-ing them directly. It was, simply, an invalid character forced into the chatlog, would crash instantly anyone who saw it. Cue the person who found that exploit keeping dragon's aery (the place where fafnir spawned) clear while fafnir was up for several hours. He'd let a group claim, then force disconnect their mages and healers, letting the group wipe. When he was bored, he called the GMs and reported the info, and even while in GM jail, to confirm the hack, he disconnected the GM right in front of him.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

frodnonnag posted:

There Was a hack at the time for FFXI that allowed you to force disconnect anyone within 'hearing' distance of you, or to disconnect a single person by /tell-ing them directly. It was, simply, an invalid character forced into the chatlog, would crash instantly anyone who saw it. Cue the person who found that exploit keeping dragon's aery (the place where fafnir spawned) clear while fafnir was up for several hours. He'd let a group claim, then force disconnect their mages and healers, letting the group wipe. When he was bored, he called the GMs and reported the info, and even while in GM jail, to confirm the hack, he disconnected the GM right in front of him.

Yeah, I've seen that one happen, there was also a dude who put it as his bazaar comment for like a month.

It's not as hilarious as the glitch that resulted when Abyssea-Scars first came out, though, where wearing the legs of the Raider's set would automatically disconnect anyone on Xbox who saw your character. Didn't even have to check you, you just had to run past on their screen, and boom.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Rexxed posted:

In Age of Wushu I sometimes take my Tangman around to areas that folks like to AFK in and clear them out. Tonight I was doing the needful and killed a guy. His guildmate was right nearby, saw what happened and came and killed me (my tangman is low level but I jacked his dart skills way up for ranged dickery). Then he said in zone chat that it's dishonorable to kill AFK people. I replied that it was dishonorable to be afk! Then he sent me some tells about how shameful and cowardly I am (with veiled threats):

It's important to have video game honor.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Back when I still played WoW, the time leading up to me finally quitting for good was spent in the most LGBT-friendly guild on our server. We had several gay members, a couple of people who were bi, and pretty much everybody was cool with that.

The grief came from the fact that we ran pickup groups a lot, and occasionally recruited people who we thought were cool. Not just good at the game, but fun people we could bullshit on Vent with. Somehow that spiraled a little bit out of control and we ended up with an honest to goodness "my daddy didn't raise me to be nice to no goddamn homos" jackass. So he quit the guild when he found out.

All I ever did after that was call him a bigot every time I saw him in trade chat and he went mad with rage. I don't think he knew what "bigot" meant, but it made him so loving angry. Eventually he stopped coming online.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
More FFXI, this time involving "griefing other people through utter frustration at life/mechanics." This is the story of my best friend's quest for the Black Belt, and the lengths he went to get the items to create it.

Now, the Black Belt was pretty much the best piece of equipment for Monks, one of the ... less desirable classes for parties or anything in the game. Monks were actually a really powerful class, and he and I did some amazing things duo with my calvacade of mage jobs and his single-minded determination to make his Monk the pinnacle of Monkiness. However, it didn't really do the typical party-focused jobs better than other classes, and wasn't very called-upon because of it. It was always difficult to get into A-team HNM raids or anything else being a single-focus Monk, and sometimes (and I hate to admit it) it was because I had all the mage jobs leveled to max and insisted upon him being included in things that got him invited. My friend was always very bitter about this fact, and it definitely started to fray his temper as he embarked upon his quest.

This awesome Black Belt item was not a drop from a single boss, oh no. FFXI would never be so nice. This item required drops from all three of the "King" bosses, which were explained a bit earlier. Just to recap, there were three bosses in the world, Fafnir, Aspediochelone, and Behemoth, that spawned on really long timers, and occasionally would spawn a "King" version of themselves on a super-long timer. The items for the Black Belt had a small chance to drop from the regular bosses, but were guaranteed to drop from the "King" versions.

For a little personal background, when my friend decided to begin this quest, neither of us had the time to put into being a part of the "HNM" camping guilds - I had two lovely jobs at the time and he was in school. If we had been part of these guilds, this quest would have been much, much easier as generally there were few Monks as mains in these guilds and anyone who wanted the items could get them. However, being part of these guilds required camping at stupid times due to the sliding timers, that neither of us could support except at one certain time of the year. So, when he was off from school in the Summer, instead of just joining a guild for 6 months and ditching when school started again, he started camping these bosses .... solo. He had a weird sense of honor. Or insanity. I think the second.

Now, you'd think if a guild has all the items they need for their Monks they'd just give the items away right? No, there was a thriving trade in selling the drops for ludicrous amounts of money, something my friend did not have. He managed to get one of the drops off a friendly guild in for free, but the other two were out of reach - the one friendly guild could not get claim on them for poo poo. So, he crafted a plan.

In FFXI, whoever is first to do an action on a mob gets claim; then their raid or party can attack the mob and nobody else can unless there's a wipe or the boss resets. His tactic was to get claim on the boss (something very easy for Monks to do because they had an instant-cast instant-hit ability that was perfect for it) and kite it around, then whore his claim out to the camping guilds for the Black Belt item. He practiced his kiting for weeks to enact his plan.

And as dumb as this idea sounded - it worked. My friend got claim on King Behemoth and kited it around for 20 minutes while the gathered camping guilds freaked out, tried to train mobs on him to kill him, and did everything possible to get him to lose claim. Another guild we had friends in only had a few people there as it was at a bad time for them, but they quickly started calling people and laughing their asses off. None of the other gathered guilds would give him the drop for some insane reason. These HNM's dropped some of the best items in the game at the time and losing claim on this to a solo guy who is now parading it in front of you was a big deal. Finally, the HNM guild we had friends in managed to stop laughing long enough to gather enough people to kill it, get there, and invite my friend to the raid where they killed the boss, gave him the Black Belt drop, got the other items they desperately needed to gear up their raid teams ... and invited him to get the last drop for his Belt the next night at their next camp.

All of this happened in front of at least 8 other guilds who had been camping the boss for *hours.* It was fantastic. I know he wasn't the first Monk to do that tactic, and I know for sure he wasn't the last, but it's still one of my favorite stories from FFXI. What other stories involve both pissing people off in glorious fashion and making people very happy at the same time? :)

Edit: Cleaned up some details from the source

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 11, 2013

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

JustJeff88 posted:

I got them back, though. Later, we let in this very sweet lady druid and they tried to play the same trick on her, but I warned her about it and she did not fall for it, ruining their little game. I owed them that one.

Griefing Discussion Thread: Then everyone stood up and /clapped

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
I think we've had enough 800 word unfunny essays about FFXI don't you?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

MisterOblivious posted:

Sorry, people asked for stories. I'll lay off!

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

MisterOblivious posted:

Then why don't you post something? :D

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

MisterOblivious posted:

That is actually what the thread is for, tough guy, so be quiet, please!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I like these stories of actual griefing that the guy doing it benefits from, any idiot can shoot their teammates, afk in a game or waste his own time as much as everyone else, it takes a special person to find a way to grief for profit or to waste everyone elses time at a much greater ratio to how much time he wastes himself.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Alright I've got another FFXI story, but this one ends up with part of the playerbase getting griefed.

The Thief's Knife

One of the classes in the game is the Thief, if you couldn't figure it out. He does pretty much you expect; stabbing stuff, stealing, etc. Anyways, thieves have a passive ability called "Treasure Hunter" that increases your chances of getting better stuff off enemy loot tables depending on what "level" of Treasure hunter you have on the enemy. This used to be a static amount determined by your level and equipment when you first land a hit on the enemy. Nowadays it randomly increases from that base amount as you attack and use abilities on the enemy, but the point is you still want your base amount to be as high as possible. So a thief with the maximum amount of TH possible was always in high demand for practically everything.

Enter the Thief's Knife. It was the only piece of equipment that had TH+1 and could be sold to other players. It was a very rare drop by a hotly contested Tonberry on a timed respawn called Sozu Rogberry. As you can imagine, one of these knives was several million dollars on the game's auction house. This was how it was for a good few years, and primarily the reason I hadn't bothered leveling my Thief.

So one day a few years ago, the partial notes for the next update in line come out. Among those things is that Sozu Rogberry will now be a forced pop from an item.

Utter loving lunacy.

Portions of the playerbase (mostly those that had bought or camped for it legitimately, and some who relied on the income from it) were out for blood, other parts were absolutely thrilled, and some parts were just reveling in how funny some of the reactions are. It only got worse when it was found out that the knife was now a 100% drop and the pop item was easy to get. The knife's price literally dropped to nothing overnight, just days after a friend of mine had bought his for millions. He ragequit the game for months because of it. I started my own Thief shortly thereafter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I love these stories of patches/game mechanics officially 'griefing' players like that, but I feel like it might not be quite suited for this thread. I'd love to read another thread full of them, but I don't think 'FFXI turned an ultra-rare drop into a guaranteed get' belongs in the same thread as 'I started a protection racket in an MMO', even if they're about the same game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Whatever, if it's entertaining and involves someone getting pissed off it's fine here in my estimation. Spazmaster's story definitely qualifies.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

meme posted:

This is my point, basically the guy griefed himself, we were just the tools of his self destruction. Absurd.

I too think your friend is an rear end in a top hat and a thief and doing that kind of poo poo to someone is hosed up but I have absolutely no sympathy for someone who buys an MMO account for 1200 dollars either so basically you're all assholes in every way imaginable and I can't say a drat thing in judgement because the total intake from EVE scams that I was in on over my two years there including some capitol ships worth billions upon billions each some idiot gave so I could "move them down to Goon Space" and a jump freighter full of every single valuable thing he ever owned probably comes out to somewhere between 2 and 3 thousand dollars worth of plex.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

LegionAreI posted:

Monky business

That was glorious; thank you sharing that. I like the Sesame Street "sharing is beautiful" dénouement.

One concept that badly needs to die in online games is upping difficulty via fighting the RNG. I recently camped an illusion mask that makes bards look like halflings (a race that normally cannot be a bard) on EQ. The mob that drops it is quite common (and spawns in only one spot, not moving), but the mask is his super rare drop. He is a trivial kill and I could just go about my business, let my mercenary (AI buddy) kill him every 16 minutes or whatever, and check every so often. I was there for double-digit hours and killed the named dozens of times, and from what I read about that drop it could have been much worse. There has to be a better way to "challenge and engage" besides that, and I hope that it goes away and never comes back.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

LegionAreI posted:

All of this happened in front of at least 8 other guilds who had been camping the boss for *hours.* It was fantastic. I know he wasn't the first Monk to do that tactic, and I know for sure he wasn't the last, but it's still one of my favorite stories from FFXI. What other stories involve both pissing people off in glorious fashion and making people very happy at the same time? :)

I actually like this one, stories about MMOs "griefing the playerbase" get old fast but I love the mental picture of a bunch of spergs flipping out while some schmuck holds a desirable loot target hostage in exchange for a cut.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Any unusual stories of interactions with the japanese in FFXI? Not stupidly racist poo poo, but actual funny interactions.

I really enjoy cross-cultural online interactions, for whatever reason. It's kind of fascinating seeing two cultures clash in weird and unpredictable ways due to implicit assumptions that are totally not understood.

Typically, this manifests itself as rampant racism and rear end in a top hat behavior, but not always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I actually like this one, stories about MMOs "griefing the playerbase" get old fast but I love the mental picture of a bunch of spergs flipping out while some schmuck holds a desirable loot target hostage in exchange for a cut.

Like WoW guilds refusing to open the Ahn'Qiraj gates unless bribed, or Goon Squad kidnapping an Alliance Flight Master.

• Locked thread