Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Is this something specific to the firebug or is it just attached to their flame gear?

Yes, I don't really see how it could be applied to any other classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Severed posted:

I actually wish there were more ranged enemy types like the Husk. I'd really like to see them add something to the equivalent of Doom's imp.. perhaps an alpha clot that can throw fire or something. But I am already getting a little tired of the re-skinned assets, something new altogether would be great.

A "mortar" Bloat-variant that hurls globs of acid over a wide arc could make for an interesting change. Think the Spitter from Left 4 Dead, except obese.

Another thing I would love to see is giving players more incentive to aim at areas other than the head. I like the bonus damage to Fleshpound/Hans cores, exploding Husk tanks, and the increased stumble chance for hitting charging enemies' legs, but for the most part players are strongly encouraged to just headshot everything they see. Then again, the head tends to be the hardest thing to land a shot on in most cases.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there anyway to shut the trader up? I'm finally at the point where her repetitive lines are grating on me.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Alteisen posted:

Is there anyway to shut the trader up? I'm finally at the point where her repetitive lines are grating on me.

"Minimize battle chatter" or something like that. Turns off character voices too, though.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Alteisen posted:

I think you can delete her sound files, but not sure where they are

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hadn't really played this game since I think Demo and Firebug first game out and quit because I'd gotten frustrated with a few things. Mainly balance and Hans's bullshit. Picked this up a few days ago and oh my god the game has gotten so much better. Most of my complaints have been taken care of, the classes all have skill choices that are mostly interesting, and Hans doesn't have nearly the problem with deciding to pick one player to melee down.

Also, oh god the selection of guns when playing Support! Now that guns can belong to more than one perk the nailgun actually has a purpose!.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Finally got around to playing again and gave SWAT a try for the first time. Hot drat, that class is a headshot machine. All the weapons have pretty good accuracy from the hip and mild recoil (excepting the medic SMG, which honestly feels kind of terrible now that I've got to try the MP5), so half the time you don't even need to bring up the sights and don't have to bother with single fire. Anytime there's a big group coming in I just hold down the trigger and sweep along head-height and reap a whole bunch of kills. So far each round I played as SWAT has ended with me setting a new personal record for headshots, the latest one being around 470 :stare:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The thing I really like about swat is that the mag size increases every time you level up. At level 25 the P90 has 100 bullets to spray.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The medic SMG is a dosh trap option preventing you from buying a good weapon with that money. Same with the M4, despite the recent change.

Alkydere posted:

Also, oh god the selection of guns when playing Support! Now that guns can belong to more than one perk the nailgun actually has a purpose!.

speaking of dosh trap options

(AA12 + double barrel + medic pistol or medic shotgun depending on whether or not you take the capacity perk)

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 19, 2017

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

^^ Capacity on support is now a level based passive.

Alkydere posted:

Hans doesn't have nearly the problem with deciding to pick one player to melee down.

Yeah Hans goes down like nothing if your team can focus fire and break him out of his heals. Now the Patriarch is the boss that is a load of bullshit.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I must've played like 4 hours of just Defence Thy Self yesterday, and every class and weapon just feels so good. Having lasers, sights, and attachmnets is pretty much all I'd want at this point to the game.
And more open day time maps, or if not open, at least day time, because Zombies in bright sun light can be fun too.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Absolutely agree on the medic SMG, it feels like complete garbage both as SWAT and as Medic. I have been playing a fair bit of medic this week since I have a few new friends to the game and I don't wanna just annihilate everything to poo poo on their fun, and boy is the medic SMG awful. Even playing on hard and normal it feels like garbage, which is a shame because it makes a really cool noise when firing. I have given up on it and just go straight for the medic shotgun which owns bones; the only thing I don't like about it is the fact that I have to stop firing it eventually because it doesn't have a huge ammo pool.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The weapon balance seems amazingly improved since I last played, though it says something that SWAT didn't need to share with anyone. Is the Railgun still 50% damage if you use the homing function? I wasn't able to accurately test on a booster map.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

^^ Capacity on support is now a level based passive.

oh, right. well then, aa12+double+medic shotgun for life

Shumagorath posted:

The weapon balance seems amazingly improved since I last played, though it says something that SWAT didn't need to share with anyone. Is the Railgun still 50% damage if you use the homing function? I wasn't able to accurately test on a booster map.

Yes, the lock-on is a 50% damage reduction. I think that's a little harsh but Sharp is the definition of Headshot Floor 2 so it fits, at least :shrug:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Psion posted:

The medic SMG is a dosh trap option preventing you from buying a good weapon with that money. Same with the M4, despite the recent change.

speaking of dosh trap options

(AA12 + double barrel + medic pistol or medic shotgun depending on whether or not you take the capacity perk)

Good sir, you sound like a fun trap to me. If I want to ventilate a bunch of trash with high-projectile nails that now have massive penetration boosts AND an innate ricochet causing them to bounce around in tight spaces, then I loving will. :colbert: As long as you end up with the double-barrel as Support to stumble big dudes and equipping the supplier perk when you unlock it, I think you're doing it just about right.

Besides, its a weapon design that really made no sense from the start. I mean...ranged weapons on the zerker?

I will agree the medic SMG just doesn't feel all that great. Better than the pistol, yes, but that's a low bar. Might be better now that I have poison bullets but i haven't played since I got to level 15 on Medic. I feel it just needs a damage buff period as it sucks up too much ammo to take care of anything bigger than a clot or crawler.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The M4 will always be poo poo as long as it weighs as much as it does.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
SWAT with medic smg on PS4 is the only way I get to wave 10, these console players are horrible. I love the Peter90 on PC, though.

How are people getting that bag outfit? I can't get people to cooperate with me. Would love to play with someone tonight if you don't have it yet. I get home midnight EST. http://steamcommunity.com/id/miltonr

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Perestroika posted:

Finally got around to playing again and gave SWAT a try for the first time. Hot drat, that class is a headshot machine. All the weapons have pretty good accuracy from the hip and mild recoil (excepting the medic SMG, which honestly feels kind of terrible now that I've got to try the MP5), so half the time you don't even need to bring up the sights and don't have to bother with single fire. Anytime there's a big group coming in I just hold down the trigger and sweep along head-height and reap a whole bunch of kills. So far each round I played as SWAT has ended with me setting a new personal record for headshots, the latest one being around 470 :stare:

This is on six man Suicidal medium.

I prefer the Medic SMG to the MP5 just because you get a lot of cheap ammo for it, it does decent damage, you can heal teammates, but most importantly I can actually see when using the ironsight. It's not wonderful on Medic because it's meant to be a transitional weapon, but it's worth buying.

UnknownMercenary posted:

The M4 will always be poo poo as long as it weighs as much as it does.
I comobo'd the M4 with the AA12 and it's actually a really great gun, but yeah the weight is bonkers and since it's going to be your main means of trash killing, you're going to run out of ammo for it. If it just weighed two blocks less so you can run the double barrel with it, it would be a must-pick for me and would definitely make people have preferred loadouts instead of a generalized "optimal" one.

What I really want to see is them buffing the crossbow because compared to the rest of Sharpshooter's kit, it's unequivocally bad. It was fantastic when it stunned Scrakes and Fleshpounds on headshots and made the M14 worth using because you turn into a trash killer instead of a tank buster, but now it's just worthless. Although honestly the main reason I want it useful again is so I can play with the scope some more:

I do like the new centerfire lever action, though. I'm going to keep sticking with running the .500 however just because the center fire doesn't have enough ammo without the ammo-boosting perk, which makes it so you can't one-shot Scrakes with the railgun if you pick it over increased headshot damage.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah Hans goes down like nothing if your team can focus fire and break him out of his heals. Now the Patriarch is the boss that is a load of bullshit.
What?

Kevin is like ten times easier than Hans and dies in literal seconds even on HoE. Hans just takes longer because you're forced to go through his heal cycle. If you're struggling with Kevin, just run at least one Sharpshooter (or six) so that you can freeze him when he runs off to heal and one-cycle him.

Foreskin Problems posted:

SWAT with medic smg on PS4 is the only way I get to wave 10, these console players are horrible. I love the Peter90 on PC, though.

How are people getting that bag outfit? I can't get people to cooperate with me. Would love to play with someone tonight if you don't have it yet. I get home midnight EST. http://steamcommunity.com/id/miltonr
You can get that outfit by doing all the cheevos on the new map (besides "beat the map on X difficulty"). It's great if you want yourself to look like a sentient popcorn bag. All it needs is for you to win all the minigames and beat it on hard, it doesn't even have to be in a single game. If you're on PS4, you can't get it in general because I don't think the update dropped yet. Once you do it, it magically appears in your inventory. If you want to do it solo, I'd recommend playing either Firebug, Demolitions, or Commando given how cramped it is. Support isn't so hot on the new map because there's not a lot of straight hallways to abuse.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Some of the new weapons are pretty fun but man I miss before they added zeds blocking. What an unfun, tedious mechanic.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

So what's a good guide to Support? Because playing with random pubs 15 levels higher than myself and I manage to get 3rd highest score despite being afk/dead 2 rounds.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Shoot them in the neck

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Nomadic Scholar posted:

So what's a good guide to Support? Because playing with random pubs 15 levels higher than myself and I manage to get 3rd highest score despite being afk/dead 2 rounds.

Buy any of the guns that aren't the M4, shoot for the place between the head and chest (i.e. neck as Foreskin says) so the pellets hit the head but aren't wasted also. That's... pretty much it. Support is great, all its guns are great, it's pretty straightforward to play, the only real choice is if you want to be the best ammobro for your teammates which is super helpful or if you just want to kill everything really hard which is also pretty helpful. It's not a tough class to play, simple & rewarding.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm sure you figured it out already, but KF is one of the few video game series that actually does shotguns correctly and allow you to engage from way further than normal videogame shotgun range.

Learn to love penetration. With proper lining-up of your shots so that they go through multiple heads/bodies you can save a lot of ammo.

Pro-tip for lining up shots against crawlers: crouching really helps.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I don't really like Support, it just doesn't have as much oomph as other classes and it can't as cleanly take out large zeds, but it's good as a, well, supporting class.

You want fast reloads if you're running the double barrel usually, since it doesn't benefit from increased ammo size. Otherwise increased mag size is the way to go. The nailgun isn't too hot, but the trenchgun works nice as a primary weapon. The Medic shotgun is like a bite-sized AA12, the new shotgun is like a combination of every weapon for Support (you can fire two shots immediately, it's magazine-based, and you only ever need to pump after two shots), and the M4 is really nice. Like, people hate on the M4 but it's really great. If you run the M4, I'd highly recommend swapping from tight choke to penetration since the M4 is pin-point as is. Looking at the numbers, the M4 has almost a two times tighter spread to begin with, tight choke is just overkill.

Your biggest threats are usually Husks and large zeds. Husks you can actually shotgun snipe their backpacks so they explode and you can solo Scrakes with some effort (the most effective is double-barrel blasting their head since it makes them stumble), but Fleshpounds is something you want help with. The best you can do to handle them is engage with two grenades and ammo dump into it, otherwise you want to let your Demo/Sharpshooter do the heavy lifting.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 20, 2017

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Supports are actually good vs large zeds because the double barrel staggers and the aa12 is a war crime

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I played this game for the first time in like a year and dud rockets making scrakes fall flat on their asses is the funniest thing in the world right now

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ruggington posted:

I played this game for the first time in like a year and dud rockets making scrakes fall flat on their asses is the funniest thing in the world right now

Its also the demos best way to kill them as the rocket bouncing off their face does more damage than the rocket exploding.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I swear people on PS4 don't know that there's a button that you can use to heal your teammates. It's worth dosh! We're at the trader and there's nothing better to do! But if they want to give me all the healing bux, so be it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Bogart posted:

I swear people on PS4 don't know that there's a button that you can use to heal your teammates. It's worth dosh! We're at the trader and there's nothing better to do! But if they want to give me all the healing bux, so be it.

Trust me, it's the same on PC. And has been since KF 1.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

I don't really like Support, it just doesn't have as much oomph as other classes and it can't as cleanly take out large zeds, but it's good as a, well, supporting class.

You want fast reloads if you're running the double barrel usually, since it doesn't benefit from increased ammo size. Otherwise increased mag size is the way to go. The nailgun isn't too hot, but the trenchgun works nice as a primary weapon. The Medic shotgun is like a bite-sized AA12, the new shotgun is like a combination of every weapon for Support (you can fire two shots immediately, it's magazine-based, and you only ever need to pump after two shots), and the M4 is really nice. Like, people hate on the M4 but it's really great. If you run the M4, I'd highly recommend swapping from tight choke to penetration since the M4 is pin-point as is. Looking at the numbers, the M4 has almost a two times tighter spread to begin with, tight choke is just overkill.

Your biggest threats are usually Husks and large zeds. Husks you can actually shotgun snipe their backpacks so they explode and you can solo Scrakes with some effort (the most effective is double-barrel blasting their head since it makes them stumble), but Fleshpounds is something you want help with. The best you can do to handle them is engage with two grenades and ammo dump into it, otherwise you want to let your Demo/Sharpshooter do the heavy lifting.

Actually I'd just take the increased reload on anything since so many of the Support weapons are reloaded one shell at a time. It buffs every weapon and means you throw shells into your shotgun at a million miles an hour while, as you said, extended mag doesn't make the double-barrel a triple-barrel shotgun and that thing is one of the most important pieces of Support equipment.

Like if you've got a team that just spits out damage you can set the AA12 aside and go with something kinda goofy, but the double barrel's ability to just sit a Scrake down (and give you time to reload) is a literal lifesaver.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Maybe I just have rose colored goggles about 1. Doesn't mean I want West London any less.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I want Mountain Pass back.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Mountain Pass, kinda like DefenceThySelf, allows you to play difficulties way beyond your usual means, and thus also ranks superfast.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea Id love to see London again.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Theta Zero posted:

Kevin is like ten times easier than Hans and dies in literal seconds even on HoE. Hans just takes longer because you're forced to go through his heal cycle. If you're struggling with Kevin, just run at least one Sharpshooter (or six) so that you can freeze him when he runs off to heal and one-cycle him.

Didn't know about the freezing thing. With Hans he never even gets to fully heal, we just break his shields and stunlock him so often it's almost a guaranteed win while Patriarch just one-shots people with his rockets or it's a slow death through attrition as we have to wait out his healing phases.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

UnknownMercenary posted:

Didn't know about the freezing thing. With Hans he never even gets to fully heal, we just break his shields and stunlock him so often it's almost a guaranteed win while Patriarch just one-shots people with his rockets or it's a slow death through attrition as we have to wait out his healing phases.

Never stray from cover when dealing with patty. He gives at a minimum, a 2 second warning before he shoots rockets.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Alteisen posted:

Its also the demos best way to kill them as the rocket bouncing off their face does more damage than the rocket exploding.

according to what I've read the impact damage is dealt regardless of whether or not the rocket explodes, the difference is firing it inside of arming range makes it a lot easier to land that headshot

but it was a steam guide so :shrug: if it was right

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Psion posted:

according to what I've read the impact damage is dealt regardless of whether or not the rocket explodes, the difference is firing it inside of arming range makes it a lot easier to land that headshot

but it was a steam guide so :shrug: if it was right

One I read said the impact does 600 damager versus 150 the explosion would do, to a scrake anyway given their resistances.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
one in tha pipe :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Alteisen posted:

One I read said the impact does 600 damager versus 150 the explosion would do, to a scrake anyway given their resistances.

right, I've seen that too, but I also saw a claim that the 600 impact damage (or whatever) happens whether or not it's a dud round. so it's 600 vs 750, if true.

I don't think overall number of RPGs to kill a scrake via headshot changes, so it's arguably irrelevant either way.