Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The blueprint that took me forever was the compass. I'd built the Cyclops before I found it.

I beat the game and still haven’t found the prawns grapple arm blu print. And I went online and checked the two wrecks that are supposed to have the parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is the grave the easiest thing to miss in the game? There's nothing that really points you there, and there's no real advantage to investigating it.

I only noticed it because it stood out a little on my sonar.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Besides the bugs, the biggest problem this game has is definitely the random nature of the fragments.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I wouldn't mind getting random fragments, as long as the game filtered out the stuff you've already found (or at least reduced the odds of finding duplicates). Trying to find new stuff gets a little frustrating after you stumble over your 57th Seamoth fragment.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Moon Slayer posted:

It's a shame, too, because that geothermal crater down the slope from the mushroom forest would make a great mid-game base location.

My bases were on the border of the safe shallows and grassy plateau, then midgame on the floating island with the vent, and late game in the lost river on the shelf overlooking the tree.

:whatup: shelf overlooking the tree buddy

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've built the Cyclops, Moon Pool, Prawn, but I still haven't been able to find the parts for the battery charger. I've got the power cell charger, but not batteries.

This is always me, I always find it quite late.

I do a cycle where dead batteries become fresh power cells. Once those are exhausted I shove'em in a locker until I get the Power Cell Charger (which I always find before the battery one), then I charge them up and keep them in a locker aboard the Cyclops as a backup. Not really necessary once you get the Thermal Reactor but good for piece of mind.

I kinda live in fear of losing track of time/distance on an expedition and being dead in the water at a depth I can't swim to the surface from, so I always keep a spare power cell in vehicle storeage.

Not sure if I've ever actually used one... I think maaybe when I took the Prawn all the way from my base in the shallows to the LZ and back?

The Zombie Guy posted:

Trying to find new stuff gets a little frustrating after you stumble over your 57th Seamoth fragment.

its_free_titanium_meme.jpg

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I completed the 1.0 game without ever finding the thermometer blueprint. I always found it in early access and have no idea what I missed this time

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is the grave the easiest thing to miss in the game? There's nothing that really points you there, and there's no real advantage to investigating it.

I only noticed it because it stood out a little on my sonar.

is this subnautica or below zero? if subnautica, what is this?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You missed out on that they removed the thermometer for release!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Oasx posted:

Besides the bugs, the biggest problem this game has is definitely the random nature of the fragments.
Making a bunch of stuff that used to be default items into shards, pitched as "To not confuse players with too many items at first" probably didn't help matters. People still have trouble finding fragments even with a wiki open in their lap and a series of scanner rooms? Better add more fragments to the game don't worry we've got it handled.

Resulting instead in pranks like how that prior linked imgur gallery says, "oops look at all these laser cutter fragments inside a box you can only get into with a laser cutter"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 25, 2021

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I've gotten at least one ingredient out of a closed box by finding a little piece of it clipping out, as you would in a survival situation

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Interesting thing that the Crash Site seems to attract Reapers mostly because it's their ideal territory; the other places you find them are wide open spaces with little plant life and shallow to moderate depth.

Also because the caldera is a closed ecosystem. The Aurora crash is the largest injection of nutrients and materials its seen in over a thousand years. It makes perfect sense that animals from all over the map would flock to and that Reapers would follow along looking for prey.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The dunes biome is the only one in the game that really makes me tense. There's something about it being so wide and open that makes those Reapers more intimidating than around the Aurora for me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I completed the 1.0 game without ever finding the thermometer blueprint. I always found it in early access and have no idea what I missed this time

is this subnautica or below zero? if subnautica, what is this?

Subnautica.

There's a little crater with a rock in the middle out past the bone kelp ravine, and there's a little cave off to the side that leads to an alien forcefield.

Open it up, and I think all you really find is a record of one hot shot alien scientist who transferred to the disease research facility and contracted the disease and died.

Looking it up for reference, apparently there were a couple other alien places that I also missed, but they were similarly also just some junk that your datapad can't do much with and don't really help you at all.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yeah thats just worldbuilding I think.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Finished Subnautica for the first time after several restarts over the years, honestly at the end I ended up just debug spawning in a lot of items. I knew where the items were, I knew how to get them, and it wouldn't be a challenge to get them, but it just takes so long that I just spawned them in instead. At a certain point it just becomes a slog to get things together unless you create a guide up front with all that you need so that you aren't deep in the Lava vents and then finding out you need something from the surface or vice versa. Still I'm satisfied with what I got out of it, and I'm looking forward to moving onto Below Zero once it fully comes out.

Also I would have shaved like four hours off my playtime if I had noticed the hanging prawn suits in the Aurora in addition to the fallen one rather than trying to find pieces of it all over the place because you need 20 small pieces to form a whole and they are separate from the suit progress.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 25, 2021

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Finished Subnautica for the first time after several restarts over the years, honestly at the end I ended up just debug spawning in a lot of items. I knew where the items were, I knew how to get them, and it wouldn't be a challenge to get them, but it just takes so long that I just spawned them in instead. At a certain point it just becomes a slog to get things together unless you create a guide up front with all that you need so that you aren't deep in the Lava vents and then finding out you need something from the surface or vice versa.

The final post-game stretch where you have to do another round of stupid busywork just so you can build the rocket and escape after you’ve completed the actual plot is just another level of lovely game design.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The rocket building at least felt more like a capstone project or coda to the plot that gave you an excuse for one last tour around the area to gather materials, or rewarded you for being a crazy hoarder.

Randomly needing different colored tablets to open doors was a much purer dick move, it just forced you to travel all the way back to your base in order to make or retrieve a single item that's otherwise a completely useless waste of space (and thus you have no innate reason to carry with you).

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The rocket building at least felt more like a capstone project or coda to the plot that gave you an excuse for one last tour around the area to gather materials, or rewarded you for being a crazy hoarder.

That’s the thing, you already had to do your “last tour” when gathering the ingredients for the serum. IMO this is much better executed since it actually forces you to visit a number of different biomes, but the things you’re looking for aren’t that hard to find.

And then once you’re done, it’s time to speedrun the material grinding you spent the entire game doing all over again. Oh, and hope you didn’t skip out on building the Cyclops because now you literally have to, even if you’re never going to use it. :shepicide:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was building the rocket as I went and also made sure to leave the lava zone with my cyclops full of more than enough materials from down there as I thought would be needed, so the plant parts were just a victory lap and the rest of the rocket was a free fun end to the game. maybe they could have set expectations better by showing you the requirements for all 5 rocket pieces from the start instead of only the next one.

I'd probably have a lower opinion of the game if I had to make more than just the one trip to that awful buggy place.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Subnautica as a game really delivers the experience of being in a world that really doesn't care about you, and so it's not really gonna hand you anything. You want something to happen, you gotta put in the work. There's not really that much of a feeling of a tech tree progression, and for most of the game you really don't have to do that much resource harvesting, after a point you even basically fix hunger and thirst, at least so long as you're near a base. You can get lost just going out and harvesting materials, but the game doesn't reward you for doing it for its own sake.

Through the course of the game, you plunge the deepest depths that you can find, but even after story stuff happens, if you want the final bit, you have to do the dull busywork. There's no fanfare. There's no huge adventure. There never was.

Which isn't exactly satisfying, but it's something different that's kind of immersive. I feel like there's a limit to how big of a game could really be held up by that sort of artless mundacity, but I think it works for Subnautica. It's a real different experience compared to most survival/crafting games where they build a much more satisfying short-term game loop and then expect you to go basically forever without any structured end goal.

Personally, I had aready coincidentally collected all the plants in a box and I had enough stockpiled materials to build the Neptune so the ending seemed pretty abrupt to me, but even the stuff like "here's some storage for whatever garbage you want to bring with you" prompting me to sort out what I wanted to take and the switches you have to flip before the ship would be ready to launch seemed like a nice way of dwelling one last time on things.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Subnautica.

There's a little crater with a rock in the middle out past the bone kelp ravine, and there's a little cave off to the side that leads to an alien forcefield.

Open it up, and I think all you really find is a record of one hot shot alien scientist who transferred to the disease research facility and contracted the disease and died.

Looking it up for reference, apparently there were a couple other alien places that I also missed, but they were similarly also just some junk that your datapad can't do much with and don't really help you at all.

Not just 'a rock', that's a bloody meteor strike crater.

Which happened sometime in the last thousand years or so, since the grave sanctuary is older than the meteor crater, given that its outer perimeter marker was damaged by it.

I built a base there once, with a bunch of observatories pointed at the meteor. You know, for science.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PsjGuyqxxQ

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've been very careful about not getting any spoilers for below zero, cuz I played the original Early Access and it's one of my favorite video games of all time. Without getting into the details would you guys say it equals the original, it's a lesser game, It's somehow better? I'm not touching it until it officially releases.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
While I do still enjoy it as another Subnautica, I dont think its as good.
I would give 1 a 9-10 while BZ is maybe a 7-8.

In my opinion.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Section Z posted:

"oops look at all these laser cutter fragments inside a box you can only get into with a laser cutter"

I have only found doors you had to open with a laser cutter, where I was prompted by the game that I had to use one. Have I been ignoring a lot of loot? What do these boxes look like?

Also, I checked the lava flows once. Have a full prawn suit (with the drill and the grappling arm) and a Cyclops, yet somehow I have not seen any of the Sea Treaders yet nor have I found the Degrassi base. I think I somehow never found the Deep Grand Reef yet.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Sioux posted:

I have only found doors you had to open with a laser cutter, where I was prompted by the game that I had to use one. Have I been ignoring a lot of loot? What do these boxes look like?

Also, I checked the lava flows once. Have a full prawn suit (with the drill and the grappling arm) and a Cyclops, yet somehow I have not seen any of the Sea Treaders yet nor have I found the Degrassi base. I think I somehow never found the Deep Grand Reef yet.

Its entirely possible to skip entire biomes in this game. I dont think you ever have to go to the underwater islands or explore the mountains biome past the alien turret.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Sioux posted:

The game has a really funny flow to it sometimes. I try really hard not to use google, but there was a least one or two pods I just could not flippin find. And some other stuff.

I'm really enjoying it and not rushing through like I sometimes do with my buddies in multiplayer games.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sioux posted:

They are the same boxes you find a lot of the small blueprints in, the ones scattered across the floor with one side open. I want to say that you find a lot of fragments for it in the red grass zone

It isn't strictly necessary to build one, especially since they are often just shortcuts rather than the single entry point to a room, but you can find a lot of upgrade databoxes behind those doors.

Plus it's just fun to cut holes in things.

Shuka posted:

The game has a really funny flow to it sometimes. I try really hard not to use google, but there was a least one or two pods I just could not flippin find. And some other stuff.

I'm really enjoying it and not rushing through like I sometimes do with my buddies in multiplayer games.

The pods are a funny thing because often there really isn't anything in them other than an audio log, but they are extremely important because they mark new biomes and give a sense of how you should be exploring the game. Hell, iirc the last one is plonked down right in front of the underground river entrance

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 26, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Much like the Degasi bases, a lot of the setpieces are designed to lure you into new biomes and map areas, and introduce/foreshadow various elements of the game. Which is a bit of a flaw at times given a lot of easily missed areas of the game are ones which don't have any major lure to go there, especially since the game doesn't use a traditional map so you don't necessarily have a good sense of where you have and haven't been.

Never be afraid to drop beacons errywhere.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I found every single modification before I found the modification table. I eventually got frustrated enough that I just used the console to spawn myself a modification table. I think when I play subzero I'm going to play the mode without food and water, because I found that just was annoying and didn't add much to my experience.

While I've really enjoyed the game overall (in the very last step now) I think I liked the first halfish of the game better than the second half. I found late in the game when your doing stuff down in the lava zones and lost river it just felt like it took ages to get anywhere. Then you would realize you needed something from another zone/base and have to make a long trek back and forth to get it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I started a fresh Subnautica run with the food/water turned on. It's not as onerous as I'd imagined. Leaving the radio off/broken is still a huge QoL improvement.

The part I consistently get hung up on is the 2nd-tier minerals. Speedrunners know all the right tunnels to hit up for the gold/silver to get things cranking, I'm always fumbling around until I get enough together to start hitting up the islands.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
What’s the best way to deal with Warpers? I found a wreck I want to explore with at least two right next to it. They’re freaky and I want them to gently caress right off.

I’m considering gas torpedos or just ramming them with the seamoth.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
If you progress to a specific point in the plot should leave you alone since you're cured now.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

TheGreySpectre posted:

I found every single modification before I found the modification table. I eventually got frustrated enough that I just used the console to spawn myself a modification table. I think when I play subzero I'm going to play the mode without food and water, because I found that just was annoying and didn't add much to my experience.

While I've really enjoyed the game overall (in the very last step now) I think I liked the first halfish of the game better than the second half. I found late in the game when your doing stuff down in the lava zones and lost river it just felt like it took ages to get anywhere. Then you would realize you needed something from another zone/base and have to make a long trek back and forth to get it.

This is why I don’t mind I spoiled stuff for myself, so that I could map out what I needed when I was in end zone. Once I was done being deep, I didn’t have to go back and forth. This is also why I had a second base very deep. Take the cyclops down once, build the base, stay till I was going all the way back up. Ironically the only thing I almost ran out of in the LR was seaweed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

brainwrinkle posted:

What’s the best way to deal with Warpers? I found a wreck I want to explore with at least two right next to it. They’re freaky and I want them to gently caress right off.

Stasis rifle and chop them up until they teleport away, hopefully far enough not to bother you for a bit

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

brainwrinkle posted:

Punt them across the map with the repulsion gun

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I hope limy does a below zero run. I watched 10 minutes of the video posted here yesterday and realized I don’t wanna be spoiled on this one like I was the last. Looking forward to hopefully a lot of people playing at next month. As long as it doesn’t run like crap at the start on the PS 5 I’ll probably pick it up there. (As opposed to switch).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

brainwrinkle posted:

It depends entirely on the mood of their AI, basically.

A lot of the time they will gently caress off forever with one repulsion blast or making them decide dealing with tiny knives isn't worth it. But sometimes they realize they are essentialy immortal and will return within seconds whether you repulse them into the horizon or ""kill"" them. Which seems to be the usual cause of "God damnit how do I get warpers to stop bothering me?" questions, people who already used the 'THIS will get rid of them!' methods only to have them return ASAP.

In general.Torpedoes are hot garbage even against the smallest of predators. But if you have access to them but not the physics guns, might as well give them a try.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 26, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The Neebs guys are doing their BZ Lets Play a little weird where they are cutting the main character completely out of the story it seems.
Which is kind of in line with their Subnautica playthrough where they did the audio and played their own characters.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Came here to post season 2 and got beaten to the punch!

OgNar posted:

The Neebs guys are doing their BZ Lets Play a little weird where they are cutting the main character completely out of the story it seems.
Which is kind of in line with their Subnautica playthrough where they did the audio and played their own characters.

The gimmick is that the main character transitioned and is the same person as the first season. So they can still do the story and view all of the logs, but edit out the PC's dialogue.

tl;dr - they will still do the story, so spoilers ahead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Never be afraid to drop beacons errywhere.

This, plus also remember that you can turn the beacon visibility on/off via your PDA so your HUD isn't constantly filled with crap.

They are really cheap to make and you can pick them back up again if you just need a temporary marker to remember how to get back to a specific spot 1-2 times. I always tried to keep 3-4 in my Seamoth cargo hold just in case I found something interesting while tooting around.

Sioux posted:

Sea Treaders

IIRC these are only in one spot on the map it's not somewhere that you're too likely to cross by accident. I don't think it would spoil much if any of the rest of the game to just look up where that spot is if you haven't discovered it on your own. They look pretty cool and kick up a lot of mineral nodes.