Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Yeah I have never understood the claim that John Wick 2 over-explains things. Even more than the first movie it's just a string of stylish set pieces with some cool assassin-sounding poo poo made up to string it along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

You know that you really don't care anymore as there's no emotional weight and there's never a meaningful opponent to wick as he carves through infinite dudes running into frame with no regard for their own life

It's definitely a film series that almost needs to introduce cyborgs, villains with Dandy-Walker syndrome, commandos in head-to-toe body armor or bomb suits juggernauting their way in, or something to counter the whole instakill headshots trope evident in John Wick.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/jenyamato/status/907629450665316352

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This kinda made me uncomfortable, seeing the attractive, wealthy, educated hollywood insider kinda tease the 'foreign eccentric' in a way that it's not really clear that he understands what's happening.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!

Shoombo posted:

Yeah I have never understood the claim that John Wick 2 over-explains things. Even more than the first movie it's just a string of stylish set pieces with some cool assassin-sounding poo poo made up to string it along

Thing is, in the first movie we still got an outside perspective because Viggo knew about the assassins but had his own thing going, which was just regular Russian mob stuff. In JW2 it's all assassins all the time, it gets a little difficult to relate after a while.

I still love the second movie because it reminds me of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, but with assassins instead of hobos. Also, hobo assassins.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Iron Crowned posted:

Star Wars was more than just a blockbuster though, it was a cultural touchstone because of what it did for cinema as a whole, and looking at the box office numbers alone misses why it had such impact.

Yeah I was just touching on the box office numbers as a quick way to show how huge Star Wars was back in the day, it'd take thousands of words to really get to the meat of the subject. You'd need to examine where the US was historically at that point and what the film industry had been up to the previous decade to really dig into it.

A super quick version:
1969: The US puts the first man on the moon. National pride is at a spectacular high.
1973: The US withdraws from the Vietnam war.
1973-4: Watergate scandal, Nixon resigns from office.
So in a few short years they'd gone from "We're number 1!" to "Uh, maybe we aren't the plucky underdogs any more" and "Whoo even our highest office is corrupt."

As far as the movie industry went, the 70s were particularly dour. Westerns were still being made but they'd swung pretty hard into Western Revisionism so we had Eastwood in High Plains Drifter destroying the town instead of saving it from the bandits and John Wayne being a fat, washed out drunk in Rooster Coburn and a dying man in a dying frontier in The Shootist. You also had Blazing Saddles deconstructing the hell out of the genre.
War films had swung from The Green Berets and Where Eagles Dare in '68 to MASH, Catch-22 and Patton in '70.
Scifi films had always gone hand in hand with horror and dystopia elements but in '68 we had the campiness of Barbarella and the grandeur of 2001: A Space Odyssey (not to mention TV shows like Star Trek, Lost in Space and The Jetsons) but in the 70s they went hard on the "The future is going to suck!" theme with films like Soylent Green, Logan's Run, Westworld, Rollerball, A Clockwork Orange, etc etc.
In general action/drama/thriller films we had the ascent of the anti-hero with films like Dirty Harry, Death Wish, Taxi Driver ... not to mention films like Straw Dogs, Deliverance, Dog Day Afternoon and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest where there weren't any heroes or winners at all.

And then along comes A New Hope which was a pro-War film (hey, we're the plucky underdogs again! And we get to fight the Nazis in space!), a pro-space conquest/exploration film (we get to fly fighters jets in space and it's awesome!!) and a pro-Western film (via Samurai films but ANH still leaned heavily on Western tropes especially in characters like Han Solo who is introduced to the audience via a shoot out in a saloon). It had a politician who was prepared to risk everything to do the right thing, a sleazy devil-may-care curmudgeon who turned out to have a heart of gold, a naive farm kid who has The Right Stuff to save the day, etc etc.. America responded by shouting "Holy gently caress we really needed this!" and busting the block for months.

Lobok posted:

While fact-checking my own post I looked it up on Wikipedia and this poo poo was crazy.
Another crazy Gone With The Wind fact: Hattie McDaniel became the first African-American to win an Academy Award for her role as Mammy but because of racial segregation she wasn't allowed to sit at the same table as the rest of the cast on the night and had to sit at a separate table at the back of the room.

Skwirl posted:

Does he actually have any control over the rights? I know he had massive creative control over the later movies, but I assumed that was something the studio let him have so he would be in the movies, I don't think he can do anything about a movie that he isn't in.
Vin also got a producer's credit on all the F&F movies from 4 onwards so he has a fair amount of clout.

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Yeah, we probably had more sway before he tried to do his own F&F with xXx and it bombed.
F&F's director Rob Cohen and producer Neal H. Moritz also went along with him to make xXx and it made almost as much as The Fast and the Furious domestically (it was only $2 million behind it) and beat it pretty hard internationally. Also Vin managed to talk Universal into giving him $100 million to make a sequel to Pitch Black so they can't have been all that unhappy with him after xXx.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think Vin pulls a lot of weight with the audience. People really identify him with that franchise and it's unsurprising that people want to keep that link there. His other roles are kinda duds or minor - voicing Groot is barely showing up, compared to the Action Hero Star he thinks he is.

He's done like 2 live action movies outside of xXx, F&F, Riddick and Last Witch Hunter in the last ten years. The world is straining super hard to accommodate this idea that Vin Diesel Is An Action Movie Star, but the facade is slipping.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

well why not posted:

He's done like 2 live action movies outside of xXx, F&F, Riddick and Last Witch Hunter in the last ten years.

.... and it's no coincidence that they were also his personal vanity projects which he co-produced. The Last Witch Hunter was apparently based on his D&D witch hunter character. :haw:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He's done a phenomenal job leveraging a few good movies into what will probably be decades of ego roles. It sounds like I'm dunking on him, but i actually like him, and like his movies. I just find it insane how good his career is given his lack of roles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Young Freud posted:

It's definitely a film series that almost needs to introduce cyborgs, villains with Dandy-Walker syndrome, commandos in head-to-toe body armor or bomb suits juggernauting their way in, or something to counter the whole instakill headshots trope evident in John Wick.

I'm not sure if the joke is that John Wick is playable and vaguely plot-relevant in Payday 2, which also has Hardcore Henry cyborgs in one mission. (all dead from an EMB bomb by the time you encounter them, though)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The heroes of star wars represent the vc and the empire is america.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it'd be rad if we had some threads in CineD that weren't about star wars.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

well why not posted:

You could say, you're sure tired of all these star wars?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

well why not posted:

Yeah I don't want this thread to fall to the dark side.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

End this derail, and it will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

You know that you really don't care anymore as there's no emotional weight and there's never a meaningful opponent to wick as he carves through infinite dudes running into frame with no regard for their own life

Thank you. I really don't understand the appeal of John Wick 1 & 2. They felt so hollow to me. Why should I care about the main character? Am I supposed to be wowed by Reeves killing faceless mooks in the same exact way 1000 times? Am I supposed to think the films are somehow "above" other action movies because the mobs bleed R-rated-ly?

Watching them made me wish I was watching Die Hard or Terminator instead

kalel fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 15, 2017

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Why should I care about the main character?

Because they killed his puppy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because he's awesome

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

To me, John Wick is like the most elevated form of the direct-to-dvd action plot. The cast, choreography and cinematography show that even a fairly threadbare premise can still be entertaining. It makes most other action films look cheap or lazy in comparison.

Take away any of those three factors and it'd fail - but luckily they've got those three locked in. That being said, I hope it ends on #3 and they don't try and milk it too hard.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Thank you. I really don't understand the appeal of John Wick 1 & 2. They felt so hollow to me. Why should I care about the main character? Am I supposed to be wowed by Reeves killing faceless mooks in the same exact way 1000 times? Am I supposed to think the films are somehow "above" other action movies because the mobs bleed R-rated-ly?

Watching them made me wish I was watching Die Hard or Terminator instead

The first one was great because Mikael Nyqvist owned and it was indeed fun to see Keanu Reeves owning faceless mooks in the same exact way 1000 times because they killed his dog. The second one was ok because it had a 10 minute long reprise of the first movie with Peter Stormare as Mikael Nyqvist, also assassin hobos.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I mean I'll watch John Wick 3 but I would have preferred it if they would have done a little less with the whole magical assassin world. Hints and clues and background stuff are fine.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FishBulb posted:

I mean I'll watch John Wick 3 but I would have preferred it if they would have done a little less with the whole magical assassin world. Hints and clues and background stuff are fine.

It'll be great in JW3 when he kills everyone in the assassin world so all the world building we got in 2 becomes extra meaningless.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Big question I have is will the assassins piss him off early in the film.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The first third should be assassins getting in hilarious accidents trying super hard to not piss him off.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

The first one was great because Mikael Nyqvist owned and it was indeed fun to see Keanu Reeves owning faceless mooks in the same exact way 1000 times because they killed his dog. The second one was ok because it had a 10 minute long reprise of the first movie with Peter Stormare as Mikael Nyqvist, also assassin hobos.

And the Common fight in the subway.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
You know what was a better assassin movie than Chapter 2? Assassin's Creed.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Because they killed his puppy.

And stole his car.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

mycot posted:

And stole his car.

I mean, it all basically boils down to "Theon Greyjoy, fuckin' everything up again".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation

Phylodox posted:

I mean, it all basically boils down to "Theon Greyjoy, fuckin' everything up again".

John Wick should have shot him in the dick.

Vincent posted:

And the Common fight in the subway.

That scene was great, too. John Wick 2 had a lot of great scenes. They just didn't come together as neatly as in the first one.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

F&F's director Rob Cohen and producer Neal H. Moritz also went along with him to make xXx and it made almost as much as The Fast and the Furious domestically (it was only $2 million behind it) and beat it pretty hard internationally. Also Vin managed to talk Universal into giving him $100 million to make a sequel to Pitch Black so they can't have been all that unhappy with him after xXx.

Sorry, I meant xXx: The Return of Xander Cage, but then I looked it up and while it didn't make anything here it made almost $400 million internationally so who the gently caress knows?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Happy Halloween, suckers, because the tricks and treats have begun this weekend on Lifetime!

First up on Saturday is Ten: Murder Island, based on a teen novel that said "What if we redid Agatha Christie's Ten Little Indians, but with teens?"

quote:

Based on the teen horror novel by Gretchen McNeil, “Ten: Murder Island” is the story of a weekend retreat gone wrong. When an exclusive invitation arrives for a house party on an island for ten teenagers with no parents, Meg (China Anne McClain, “Descendants 2”) ignores her doubts and decides to go with her best friend Minnie (Cassidy Gifford, “God’s Not Dead”). But when a storm leaves them stuck on the remote island, Meg finds herself navigating frenemies, former crushes, and fools while coming face-to-face with her past and her future. But when each of the teens starts to die off, one by one, Meg must solve the connection between herself and the other guests, none of which may be as innocent as they seem. Rome Flynn also stars in the film.

After that on Saturday is the exciting Drink, Slay, Love, another movie based on a teen novel, this one decided that gender-swapping Twilight was pretty cool

quote:

Pearl (Cierra Ramirez, “The Fosters”) is a typical sixteen-year-old vampire. Fond of blood, allergic to the sun, and generally pretty evil. But after a mysterious attack leaves her able to survive in the daylight, everything changes. Pearl’s powerful family soon finds a way to take advantage of her new ability: they send Pearl to high school, to gather fresh young blood for an upcoming feast in honor of the Vampire King. The only problem is that Pearl is starting to grow a conscience. How can she serve up her new friends — especially the cute guy who makes her fangs ache — to be slaughtered? Then again, she’s definitely dead if she lets her family down. What’s a sun-loving vamp to do?

And then Sunday brings us another Twilight redeux with Sea Change, except it ain't vampires, it's selkies! Yes, Irish mermen who take human form on land to seduce the ladies. You will be shocked that this is also based on a teen novel.

quote:

“Sea Change,” a supernatural drama based on the YA novel by New York Times bestselling author, Aimee Friedman, follows Miranda Merchant (newcomer Emily Rudd) a teen girl on a journey to reunite with her estranged mother Amelia (Maria Dizzia, “Orange is the New Black”), who lives on a seemingly idyllic island off the coast of New England after the death of her father. As Miranda settles into island life, she finds herself torn between TJ (Keenan Tracey, “Supernatural”), heir to one of the oldest Selkie families, and mysterious bad boy Leo (Skyler Maxon, “Faking It”) who is part of the working class “townies.” When Miranda learns about the Seawalkers, who, according to local legend, are half human and half sea creature, she begins to believe that they could be real. As she uncovers more about her family’s past, Miranda makes a startling discovery about her own connections to the Seawalkers.

Halloween ain't your thing? Then you will love Hallmark, which is whipping up 33 Christmas movies this year!

What if you were having your Secret Santa valor stolen?

quote:

Secret Santa (Hallmark Channel)
“Just how secret does an office secret Santa have to be? In Melanie’s case, she finds it’s just a little too covert. The assignments were distributed for Secret Santa, and Melanie is a little worried but very excited that she was given her crush, Donovan. She comes up with thoughtful gifts and spot-on notes. Donovan is so taken by his Secret Santa, he starts to fall in love — only someone else is stealing her credit, pretending to be his Secret Santa. Now Melanie must work to prove to Donovan that she is the right one as far as Santas and girlfriends go.”

Or maybe you'll like this movie that has a weird fixation on new years kisses?

quote:

Kiss for the New Year (Hallmark Channel)
“That first kiss of the New Year is special: It’s supposed to signify that special person with whom we’ll spend the next year, and possibly, forever. So it’s wise not to squander those affections. When everyone else just puckers up to the nearest set of lips, Robin has always kept her wits — and her mouth — to herself. An established photographer at a lifestyle website, she’s assigned to work on a New Year’s Eve story with a new hire, Todd. When she confides in Todd that she has never kissed anyone as the clock strikes midnight, he sets about to correct this, by finding someone for Robin to kiss at the magic hour. His theory is a kiss is just a kiss, and she should enjoy the moment. Ultimately, they are both right. Todd finds a man for her to smooch, and Robin does find the right man. And guess who fits the bill?”

What about this movie that features Ghost Rider himself, Johnny Blaze?

quote:

Marry Me at Christmas (Hallmark Channel)
Starring: Rachel Skarsten, Trevor Donovan
“Organizing a Christmas wedding is a true treat for bridal boutique owner Madeline Krug. She loves the challenge of finding the perfect dress for the bride and orchestrating an exquisite event. What Madeline didn’t expect was to be swept off her feet by the bride’s gorgeous brother, movie star Jonny Blaze. Jonny came to the quirky town of Fool’s Gold to support his sister — not to fall in love. Yet Madeline is the most extraordinary woman he’s ever met. Planning the perfect wedding leads to candlelit dinners and strolls through snow-covered streets. Madeline finds the real Jonny even more captivating than her celebrity crush. Will the action star be brave enough to take on the role of a lifetime?”

As you can see, Christmas is magical! Read about all the movies on EW, and be sure to mute the tab because they autoplay a bunch of garbage videos - http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/09/hallmark-christmas-movies-33-when-calls-the-heart/

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pearl, you are a Daywalker now. And you know what Daywalkers do to bad vampires. Your entire family is just trying to iceskate uphill at this point.

Also the only Sea Change I care about is the Transformers episode where the permanentyly-gargling hovercraft falls in love with a transforming Aztec alien elf mermaid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnDsiQXftQo

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Despite Seaspray helping to blow up her city, their relationship was way healthier than Powerglide and Paris Hilton's

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Crown's Claire Foy is Lisbeth Salander in The Girl In The Spider's Web.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

uh why did they skip a whole bunch of them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I can't believe they're rebooting the Elizabeth salamander movies

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think Claire Foy is great but it sucks that Fincher isn't making more.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Casimir Radon posted:

I think... it sucks that Fincher isn't making more.

Same. From what I heard, his adaptations for TGwPwF and TGwKtHN were supposed to be really good deviations from the novels.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

VoodooXT posted:

Same. From what I heard, his adaptations for TGwPwF and TGwKtHN were supposed to be really good deviations from the novels.
I didn't really mind the first couple of books despite their flaws. They were still reasonably fun. The third one spends the first half summarising the second from a different perspective and I just couldn't keep going. Fincher did a lot to streamline his version of the first one and it was sooo much better for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Halloween incoming. Jamie Lee Curtis still pretty hot.

https://twitter.com/jamieleecurtis/status/908760232016322560

• Locked thread