Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WampaLord posted:

[the democrats are old and dying]

The democrats are a waste.

If only there was some type of person or organization, who's goals are to encouraging average people to run for office, that the DNC could work with to save their dying party. If only...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

the Elder Lich Council has determined that most people probably aren't going to have time to become politically experienced enough to hold high office by the time they're 70

meanwhile, Trump

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

pelosi's new message for people being brutalized by trump: :shrug:

yronic: :allears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJgM4_C3gvE&t=54s

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Oh well I guess I will have to live with being an Elizabeth Warrenailure centrist. How terrible.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

Oh well I guess I will have to live with being a centrist. How terrible.

:agreed:

centrists are p terrible. can't even be bothered to try to win, and then complain when people that aren't mainstream democrats try to win instead

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say she is a center-leftist with certain careerist tendencies that could bring her to the center if not acquiesce to center-right policies (ie the Democratic mainstream).

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

:agreed:

centrists are p terrible. can't even be bothered to try to win, and then complain when people that aren't mainstream democrats try to win instead

What have you won?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

What have you won?

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, here's the wonderful "have you considered leftists have not already won :smuggo:" argument I mentioned in my earlier post.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

He's trying so hard to win you guys and the people are with him. Clearly with effort plus popularity plus not being an idiot Elizabeth Warren centrist he must win all the politics.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

What have you won?

we're going to try to win with candidates like jaffe and swearengin and iron stache and quist. centrists are unconcerned with winning on the other hand. that makes them really terrible and worthless, hth

Condiv fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 31, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

it's nice you finally dropped the mask and admitted you're in favor of the suicidal wing of the dem party though

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I like the way Elizabeth talks but she seems like the dems McCain, talks about accountability for the elite but the results are not there.

That's probably horrible of me though, I'm sure she gets a lot done I don't know about.

Also I have a huge amount of respect for McCain, I just don't like his voting record.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

we're going to try to win with candidates like jaffe and swearengin and iron stache and quist. centrists are unconcerned with winning on the other hand. that makes them really terrible and worthless, hth

I'm sure they'll all win then because you're trying so hard! :d:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

yronic heroism posted:

As opposed to you. You're not trying at all. You're not putting any effort in. Why should you need to? You don't need effort. You don't need anything. A Trump presidency is probably good for you.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

that's very rich coming from the guy supporting the "let's lose 2018! who cares!" wing of the party. it's sad how much you're flailing :lol:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

that's very rich coming from the guy supporting the "let's lose 2018! who cares!" wing of the party. it's sad how much you're flailing :lol:

Well I'm sure you'll win a bunch of primaries if your sworn enemies aren't even trying.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

Well I'm sure you'll win a bunch of primaries if your sworn enemies aren't even trying.

oh, they'll try to gently caress with the primaries however they can. they don't care too much about winning against republicans, but they do care about keeping the scary left out of power. we might make their taxes higher!

i'm surprised you even keep trying to defend your failed ideology in this thread. it's a cancer on the democratic party

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

yronic heroism posted:

At this point, you're just consciously misinterpreting arguments to try to make witty retorts

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

What evidence do you have they aren't trying to win the general? If your only argument is "they lost to Trump :smug:" don't bother.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

leftists like fdr were some of the most popular presidents ever, but centrists would rather lose than have to deal with someone like that. to quote a famous centrist (who yronic heroism undoubtedly loves): "I wouldn’t want to win on an old-fashioned leftist platform. Even if I thought it was the route to victory, I wouldn’t take it.”

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

galenanorth posted:

At this point, you're just consciously misinterpreting arguments to try to make witty retorts

Or I'm just pushing back against histrionic bullshit and ad hominems.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 31, 2017

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

yronic heroism posted:

I do not think that term means what you think it means.

The term generally refers to neoliberal/New Democrat style politicians (which itself is shorthand for "does what corporations like") so actually he's quite correct.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

What evidence do you have they aren't trying to win the general? If your only argument is "they lost to Trump :smug:" don't bother.

nancy pelosi says winning is unimportant in 2018. the dem party leadership saying winning is unimportant tends to mean they aren't trying to win. hth

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

leftists like fdr were some of the most popular presidents ever, but centrists would rather lose than have to deal with someone like that. to quote a famous centrist (who yronic heroism undoubtedly loves): "I wouldn’t want to win on an old-fashioned leftist platform. Even if I thought it was the route to victory, I wouldn’t take it.”

gently caress off. Blair sucks.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

nancy pelosi says winning is unimportant in 2018. the dem party leadership saying winning is unimportant tends to mean they aren't trying to win. hth

Post a quote then. I haven't heard it. Guess I'm not as obsessed with Nancy p as you.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

p dumb of pelosi: winning was the only reason to support the hillary wing

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

Post a quote then. I haven't heard it. Guess I'm not as obsessed with Nancy p as you.

already did. if you can't be bothered to read, that's not my problem :shrug:

yronic heroism posted:

gently caress off. Blair sucks.

i'm sure :rolleyes:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
i am now a bernie bro because only the bernie wing cares about winning any more

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

p dumb of pelosi: winning was the only reason to support the hillary wing

well, we already knew they sucked at it, especially after hillary flubbed the election. i'm not sure how embracing being a failure makes pelosi a master legislator, but she apparently believes that too. maybe she's becoming senile? it seems a lot of the dem leadership is in the stage of life where they should be in a nursing home, not running our country into the ground.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

i am now a bernie bro because only the bernie wing cares about winning any more

bout time

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

Fortunately doesn't look like she said that, and if your sworn enemy does say a thing, why do you only believe the thing if it's convenient for scoring points in an internet argument?

Oh right, because you're a hack.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

Fortunately doesn't look like she said that, and if your sworn enemy does say a thing, why do you only believe the thing if it's convenient for scoring points in an internet argument?

Oh right, because you're a hack.

lol yeah she did say it was unimportant hth

And why shouldn't I believe nancy pelosi wrt the dem party strategy? She's one of its leaders

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Condiv:

You quoted earlier

quote:

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Sunday said it is “unimportant” for Democrats to win the midterm elections in 2018.

During an appearance on “Fox News Sunday,” host Chris Wallace asked Pelosi to estimate the chances that Democrats win back the lower chamber back in 2018 and whether she would run again for speaker if they did.

“That’s so unimportant. What is important is that we have the lively debate on a better deal,” Pelosi said.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/07/30/pelosi-midterm-elections-so-unimportant

however

quote:

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) was asked on "Fox News Sunday" whether she'll run for speaker if Democrats win back the House in 2018.

"That's so unimportant," she told Chris Wallace. "What is important is that we have a lively debate on a better deal, better pay, better jobs and a better future. And that's what we look forward to having."

UPDATE: A previous version of this article stated that Pelosi referred to the midterm elections as "so unimportant." Rep. Pelosi's office clarified that she was speaking only about her future as speaker if Democrats were to win the House.

The question's exact words were "What are the chances Democrats win back the House in 2018, and if so, will you run for Speaker?"

It looks like she was asked both questions at the same time, answered the latter one, and FOX News initially reported it as answering the first one

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 31, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

galenanorth posted:

Condiv:

You quoted earlier

however

It looks like she was asked both questions at the same time, answered the latter one, and FOX News initially reported it as answering the first one

:laugh:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

"Completely misquote Nancy Pelosi" is now a cottage industry, I swear. And Jeff Stein is its Thomas Kinkade.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I'm sure condiv will immediately retract rather than digging in over his sworn enemy brushing off a Chris Wallace (who is smugdog made flesh) question.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Nice to see the days of putting forward alt-history scenarios when video evidence has already been posted are rapidly approaching their middle.

yronic heroism posted:

What would you like to see? If medicare for all, high wages and equitable tax rates are nonstarters for you, what would you like to see? Are you gonna be like that other guy where I asked him half a dozen times what his actual ideas, opinions and sentiments were and he couldn't answer?

yronic heroism posted:

Or I'm just pushing back against histrionic bullshit and ad hominems.

Pushing connotates effort on your part--though i'll grant if posting volume is any indicator you seem capable of staring at a monitor far longer than I, which isn't literally nothing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

galenanorth posted:

Condiv:

You quoted earlier

however

The question's exact words were "What are the chances Democrats win back the House in 2018, and if so, will you run for Speaker?"

I'm sure she really thinks winning is important, which is why she champions tax cuts for job training instead of actually popular policy that addresses the needs of americans

Also :laffo: that you think someone who can put their foot in their mouth like that should be leader

Condiv fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 31, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

D.N. Nation posted:

"Completely misquote Nancy Pelosi" is now a cottage industry, I swear. And Jeff Stein is its Thomas Kinkade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf8AqIFWYM8

Sorry, she wasn't misquoted, she's just an idiot

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Condiv posted:

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Sunday said it is “unimportant” for Democrats to win the midterm elections in 2018. 

During an appearance on “Fox News Sunday,” host Chris Wallace asked Pelosi to estimate the chances that Democrats win back the lower chamber back in 2018 and whether she would run again for speaker if they did. 

“That’s so unimportant. What is important is that we have the lively debate on a better deal,” Pelosi said.

Post this every day on the DLC's Twitter accounts until Pelosi retires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

galenanorth posted:

It is a fair answer for both. It's reasonable to not speculate on future outcomes and focus on running the race with integrity, except we've seen bits of the Dem platform going into midterms and it's tax credits, so what the hell IS she focusing on aside from a barely-restrained panic attack?

• Locked thread