Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

radical meme posted:

The problem is Puerto Rico is pretty much a clean slate infrastructure wise with pockets of people stuck in areas without any food, water, power or communication. How do you help people that you can't even reach?

Except the Navy can reach them. The Navy does this all the time. Katrina, those tsunamis in Thailand. You fly in helo's which reach those areas, and you can send in swarms of SeaBees (Naval Construction units) and Marines to start rebuilding and establish peace and order. You can also swamp them with air dropped supplies and Navy medics.

This is something the Navy is entirely equipped to deal with and really loving good at to boot. We've got practice at this. Which is why whenever this crap happens even in places like Thailand it's the Navy that goes to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

mormonpartyboat posted:

cc: nuclear takes

maybe they just like hanging out with people who think theyre people and not mules? :shrug:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
the funny thing is in Puerto Rico they are non voting but the pissed off ones who move to the us can immediately vote.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

anime was right posted:

you're all my friends, fyi

also nothing matters, including friendship

i ship you and the concept of friendship

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Naerasa posted:

Shining light on the shadow president :aaa:

shadow..... huh....??

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

"do not, my puerto rican friends, become addicted to water; it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence"

- donald trump, president of the united states of america

this is one way to spin the conversation back to Dune

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

lol all of these people are going to immigrate to america

Most of them don't have the money to get here. Central Puerto Rico is in road warrior territory right now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MysteriousStranger posted:

Except the Navy can reach them. The Navy does this all the time. Katrina, those tsunamis in Thailand. You fly in helo's which reach those areas, and you can send in swarms of SeaBees (Naval Construction units) and Marines to start rebuilding and establish peace and order. You can also swamp them with air dropped supplies and Navy medics.

This is something the Navy is entirely equipped to deal with and really loving good at to boot. We've got practice at this. Which is why whenever this crap happens even in places like Thailand it's the Navy that goes to fix it.

every military tv commercial shows this capability

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

anime was right posted:

at least the military is still loving competent jesus christ

While I'm really glad someone's doing something, "thank goodness the military is doing our totally incompetent leaders job" is how juntas get started

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

maybe if we reframed it as 3 or 4 american corporations without water, then the dems and republicans might be interested

Nestlé is going to sue the poo poo out of you, we have documents here *flails them around in a manila folder* that says we own the rights to sell them potable water

since there's an increased demand, we're charging them even more for it since the federal government can't subsidize it at market price *mocks tears* if only you had the resources and let us buy you out, if only.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
the US missed out on a lot of great job titles by not having an official shadow government like the UK

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I expect assets are en-route to do this regardless of wtf Trump does.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Chokes McGee posted:

While I'm really glad someone's doing something, "thank goodness the military is doing our totally incompetent leaders job" is how juntas get started

nice

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
A+
https://twitter.com/BBCJamesCook/status/912751789924958208

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

states (incl. dc) that puerto rico has a higher pop than by census

connecticut
iowa
mississippi
arkansas
kansas
utah
nevada
new mexico
west virginia
nebraska
idaho
hawaii
maine
new hampshire
rhode island
montana
delaware
south dakota
alaska
north dakota
vermont
d.c.
wyoming

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vVF-Hvykg&t=9s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

mmm hmmm

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I expect assets are en-route to do this regardless of wtf Trump does.

i dont think trump has issued any actual military orders, he just tweets poo poo and expects it will be done?? and then the military is like "well we didnt get orders so we're just doing whatever the gently caress makes the most sense to us"

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
I'm listening to the PSA interview with the founder of Axios and god he's just the worst

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Your appointment to FEMA should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the Senator.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

mormonpartyboat posted:

cc: nuclear takes

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/912747974643605505

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

tormp send bombers to puerto rico, trucks to norks

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
[quote="“MysteriousStranger”" post="“476789150”"]
Except the Navy can reach them. The Navy does this all the time. Katrina, those tsunamis in Thailand. You fly in helo’s which reach those areas, and you can send in swarms of SeaBees (Naval Construction units) and Marines to start rebuilding and establish peace and order. You can also swamp them with air dropped supplies and Navy medics.

This is something the Navy is entirely equipped to deal with and really loving good at to boot. We’ve got practice at this. Which is why whenever this crap happens even in places like Thailand it’s the Navy that goes to fix it.
[/quote]

I’m Ted Cruz: Global Force For Goo.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

triple sulk posted:

states (incl. dc) that puerto rico has a higher pop than by census

connecticut
iowa
mississippi
arkansas
kansas
utah
nevada
new mexico
west virginia
nebraska
idaho
hawaii
maine
new hampshire
rhode island
montana
delaware
south dakota
alaska
north dakota
vermont
d.c.
wyoming

give it a few days

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

aware of dog posted:

I'm listening to the PSA interview with the founder of Axios and god he's just the worst

is he just a hardcore neoliberal or something

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kelly probably has put Layers and layers of people between trump and actually military people who would take his orders no questions asked

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The navy and af are legit great and very important logistical organizations it's just a shame we weigh this down with 16 years of slowly feeding troops into a meat grinder for our ego

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Trump is right in that the geography of PR & VI makes it such that coordinating a response isn't typical of other disasters like Houston & Florida

In other words, a truly massive mobilization of American resources needs to have been coordinated days ago to avoid worst case scenarios

Trump, at the very least, gives the appearance that nothing of the sort is happening

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Chokes McGee posted:

the US military does this all the time though. they aren't expanding their powers into presidential territory, they're just continuing what they would've done under any president. trump is just an abnormally moronic and absent leader

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I'm gonna hope that they are as good as you describe because that's the only hope those people have.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The navy and af are legit great and very important logistical organizations it's just a shame we weigh this down with 16 years of slowly feeding troops into a meat grinder for our ego

lol tanking is the backbone of strategic aerospace logistics and the kc-46 is poo poo garbage for idiot babies

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

radical meme posted:

I'm gonna hope that they are as good as you describe because that's the only hope those people have.

They are. The navy is really good at blowing up camels and huts with multi-million dollar missiles and also delivering disaster aid.

The same skills required for delivering disaster aid are required in order to land a large amphibious assault force in a place with a beach that we do not like.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

the US military does this all the time though. they aren't expanding their powers into presidential territory, they're just continuing what they would've done under any president. trump is just an abnormally moronic and absent leader

almost as if he is a businessman and not an administrator equipped with the capability of knowing how to use his power to the full extent of the law

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

MAGA Warlord posted:

Trump is right in that the geography of PR & VI makes it such that coordinating a response isn't typical of other disasters like Houston & Florida

In other words, a truly massive mobilization of American resources needs to have been coordinated days ago to avoid worst case scenarios

Trump, at the very least, gives the appearance that nothing of the sort is happening

Hmm I wonder what the NHC and NOAA were doing 48 hours before it made PR landfall.

Oh right they were freaking out about the imminent Cat 5 landfall on PR and talking about all the things that would happen which are currently happening.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/CraigSJ/status/912479945183686656

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/dril/status/912753223118749696

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Hmm I wonder what the NHC and NOAA were doing 48 hours before it made PR landfall.

Oh right they were freaking out about the imminent Cat 5 landfall on PR and talking about all the things that would happen which are currently happening.

Weather is fake news

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

this is extremely my poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/912753581488455680