Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Basically, people rarely want independence because wanting independence is a big undertaking and a blow to ways of being comfortable*.

The right thing to do when a chunk of your country wants independence is to start up the propaganda about how good you are unified together and let them have their referendum. In Quebec and Scotland, the referendum failed thanks to that. Sending in police to bust up ballot boxes before the vote has even taken place is the last loving thing you want to do.

*this does not apply to colonies and subjugated groups of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lol all of these people are going to immigrate to america

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

"but truck dont go in water"

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

euphronius posted:

pr is not a tax haven that I'm aware of

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2015/04/14/the-worst-tax-breaks/stop-letting-the-rich-move-to-puerto-rico-as-a-tax-haven?mcubz=0

Has been for a while.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Dotard J. Trimpf manufactured the hurricanes to buy cheap real estate in Puerto Rico

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

euphronius posted:

1.4 million without water ?

uhh

the infrastructure of literally the entire island is completely destroyed

thousands will die

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

remember in 1993 when President Obama pardoned Joe Arpaio

man what was that

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

sexpig by night posted:

Trump Doctrine: sex cake!

ed balls

Ben Nerevarine posted:

The loving Catalonia Wine Mixer

thanks to vanisher for the dope av

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MysteriousStranger posted:

It's still loving stupid because we actually have a functioning Navy that is really loving good at disaster relief and does it all over the world.

Like I said, his brain is too smooth to explain the nuances of the situation. gently caress here's my 10 second thoughts on the matter "It's going to be difficult due to puerto rico being an island but we have the best navy in the world who are actively working to get aid to our american citizens in puerto rico"

boom, the president loving sucks

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Al! posted:

just in case you were wondering what would happen if calexit ever moved forward

how does this affect the Catalonia wine mixer?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't get jokes

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

nice

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Oh no, millions of franchise-less (brown) citizens are suffering, the GOP will be right on that ASAP

The GOP regularly turbofucks people who (nominally) have representation and faces no consequences

Many Puerto Ricans will die, the island will be a wasteland for years to come, the majority of the US public won't care

The end

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
well rip puerto rico, it was nice knowing you :(

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

euphronius posted:

uhh

how are you not getting it lol, poo poo is super serious

people talked about it for 3 days about how turbofucked it is, including a sat image of a black hole at night time where puerto rico should be

by the way, the dontation megathread, if anyone knows any reputable sources to donate directly to Puerto Rico please put it there so I can throw money at the right people and not the grifters thanks in advance

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
how we gonna get dose supplies there with all taht water all over the place?!?!??

now for a full discussion of my "build a big wall to keep all the spicy brown people outta our country" proposal

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKXWn47uw8k

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

It's still loving stupid because we actually have a functioning Navy that is really loving good at disaster relief and does it all over the world.

The problem is Puerto Rico is pretty much a clean slate infrastructure wise with pockets of people stuck in areas without any food, water, power or communication. How do you help people that you can't even reach?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

I made a good twitter joke about trump being a RINO for being against independent Catalonia but I just don't have the followers to get that to take off

Link it and I'll send it into the stratosphere

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

euphronius posted:

uhh

:staredog:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BBCJamesCook/status/912750435911450624
https://twitter.com/BBCJamesCook/status/912750187583438849

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

at least the military is still loving competent jesus christ

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

As a disaster? Yeah sure, but nobody gives a poo poo about PR. The only thing that can possibly save it right now is rich people deciding they want their tax haven functioning.

rural america doesn't give a poo poo, but rural america is loving worthless. talk to people in major urban areas and the tone changes.

puerto rico is 29th amongst all states and territories by population, solidly middle of the pack.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

anime was right posted:

at least the military is still loving competent jesus christ

I'm thinking they are acting without WH orders

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
owned

https://twitter.com/aliceollstein/status/912746705547915265

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
the debt which, sadly, must be dealt with

or the trucks carrying water won't go into the water

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
trump

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I have a sinking feeling that the VI will get prioritized because it's where people like to vacation

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
maybe if we reframed it as 3 or 4 american corporations without water, then the dems and republicans might be interested

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pavlov's Obama

been blaming Obama for so long...

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

thanks obama

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

OBAMAAAA

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

triple sulk posted:

rural america doesn't give a poo poo, but rural america is loving worthless. talk to people in major urban areas and the tone changes.

puerto rico is 29th amongst all states and territories by population, solidly middle of the pack.

i know at least a dozen people whose families are still in PR :(

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

triple sulk posted:

rural america doesn't give a poo poo, but rural america is loving worthless

pls don't economics shame the anxious

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

euphronius posted:

uhh

"do not, my puerto rican friends, become addicted to water; it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence"

- donald trump, president of the united states of america

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Shining light on the shadow president :aaa:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
cc: nuclear takes

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

zegermans posted:

I have a sinking feeling that the VI will get prioritized because it's where people like to vacation

:milk: the virgin islands will get prioritized because of trunps property there :smugdon:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
you're all my friends, fyi

also nothing matters, including friendship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
they waited until after the bush years ended to forget all about him. with trump they're trying to erase the trump years during the trump years

• Locked thread