Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Hav posted:

Because there are actually rules about claiming that you have more money than you do. Of course, we're in a time period when a bunch of fucknuts noticed that there's few people watching the rules.

Just keep collecting the statements of people using the funding tracker to judge whether they're buying things or not.

I'm sure there are actual ironclad rules for investors and investees but I doubt there are rules for duping customers with deceptive charts and numbers. It might get you in trouble but it won't be as bad as a scam that gets the SEC involved.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ManofManyAliases posted:

Me, myself and I.

Are basic movement and collision detection working yet?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BeigeJacket posted:

Next time one of you replies to Matt Dahmun refer to Braben exclusively as 'David Braben OBE'.

It's the most minor of titles, but it'll send him crazy. Crazier.

We should start a campaign to get Braben knighted.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Toops posted:

I probably missed some, but that's the Minimum-Viable-Response-List (MVRL).

A fine job!

That's going to save Moma a lot of work, he can just link to it

legion989
Jan 18, 2013
Hi, I'm permabanned poster FUDStomper42.

i first started reading /r/starcitizen when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "dreams" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "squadron 42" and "chris roberts saved pc gaming" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of citizen humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what stimperial theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get a refund" to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

Star Citizen Defense Playbook:

Timeline Criticisms:
  • CIG had to build a company from scratch, including hiring, building studios around the globe, etc.
  • R&D doesn't count.
  • All those games had engines already made. CIG is building their engine from scratch. It is called "Star Engine."
  • Those other games actually started development and R&D way before those dates, don't you know anything?
  • Star Citizen already has way more content than any of those games.
  • Star Citizen is doing something that literally no one has ever attempted before. Ground-breaking innovations take time.
  • Those games are bad because money-grubbing publishers forced them out the door before devs could make them into something good. Star Citizen doesn't have publishers, and no deadlines, so this means Star Citizen will be better.
  • This new era of gamers are impatient little bitches. I don't mind the wait, I have patience. I keep pledging so Chris Roberts will have as much time as he needs to recognize his vision.

Bugs, Lack of Content Criticisms
  • Star Citizen is more transparent than any other company, ever. You're seeing how the sausage is made.
  • There is way more content than they are showing us because they don't want to spoil it.
  • What are you talking about? I just spent <X> hours playing the game it's great/runs great/no bugs/perfectly smooth/amazing.
  • You obviously don't understand game development. Bugs like this are totally normal for a game in this stage of development. Have you ever heard of Alpha??
  • Don't be a part of early access if you can't handle some bugs.
  • All of those things you just listed are on the schedule, they will be delivered in <patch number>
  • They are doing a lot of the ground-work tech / pipelines that will pave the way for faster content creation later.
  • Oh, they already have the tech for <most of new feature that came out of nowhere>, it's not much effort to add.

Funding Model, Sales, Marketing Criticisms
  • Star Citizen is doing something different. They are bypassing the greedy publisher model only cares about profit and kills innovation.
  • Nobody is forcing you to pledge.
  • I backed the game because I believe in Chris Roberts's vision, it's the game I've always dreamed of playing.
  • All the ships that can be bought can be acquired in-game, therefore not pay-to-win.
  • The game does not have subscriptions. You can subscribe to help pay for weekly content which gives us insights into game development never before seen.
  • You're not buying land! You're buying the ability to claim land. Huge difference.
  • It's not a scam. They have offices all over the world and the game is playable right now.
  • CIG is not in any kind of financial trouble, just look at the funding tracker.

General Rebuttals
  • Why are you even commenting if you hate the game so much? What kind of sad person just goes around tearing things down?
  • Oh look, another Derek Smart alt trying to spread lies and mis-information about Star Citizen because he's jealous.
  • Known troll/goon. Downvote and move on.
  • How many AAA games have YOU released?
  • You are entitled to NOTHING.
  • Even if the game never comes out, I’m proud to be a part of it, at least Chris is trying.

e: added a couple, including the all-important “You are entitled to NOTHING.”

Gotta bookmark this!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Hairy Manback
Nov 2, 2016
Crobberts masterful wordsmithing and carefully contructed lore has been an inspiration, nay a fire thats lit my own desire to write The Best drat Space Story Ever.

So far I got some species fleshed out that are definately not lazy racial stereotypes encased in the warm embrace of the same boring tropes we've all seen in Sci-Fi for the last 20 years.

First up are the Mongrelians. They're a short, squat race with dusky brown fur and the facial features of a wolf. They are a fierce, tribal people. Accustomed to ranging across the stars and using hit and run tactics to loot and pillage more sedentary, "civilized" empires.
Little is known about these savages except they seem to hail from the planet Fenlend. By all accounts a cold, frozen planet that harbors little pity for it's inhabitants. Every few cycles it's parent star increases it's output, unfreezing Fenlends equally intolerable boglands and pest filled swamps that dot its surface. Its during these times the Mongrels look to the sky and dream of far off conquest.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

filthy leavers never get back in - CIG give us anything you have

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This level of theorycrafting this late in the game is loving terrifying :suicide:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

To be fair, I'm sure most of CIG developers are theorycrafting this poo poo as well.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

How about Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice 2014-2017. OK, it's a smaller game, but it's definitely AAA quality (and award nominated)

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

...I keep pledging so Chris Roberts will have as much time as he needs to recognize his vision.
:lol:
Although I'm sure you meant 'realise his vision', when it comes to the befuddled brain of Chris Roberts, 'recognize his vision' is equally appropriate, because he often recognizes 'his' vision when watching sci-fi films made by other people.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Wise Learned Man posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishment Mausoleum > Star Citizen: Assets to ashes, dreams to dust

Current title is v good but this one is too good to be forgotten and should be archived for the final ELE if it ever comes

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/WzsdoLK.gifv

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

hot balls man no homo posted:

I'm sure there are actual ironclad rules for investors and investees but I doubt there are rules for duping customers with deceptive charts and numbers. It might get you in trouble but it won't be as bad as a scam that gets the SEC involved.

Securities and Exchange Commission are levels above what would be a consumer affair, but that kind of things get the States AG a little tingly because It's a Blow Against the Big Guy. If their numbers are to be believed, there's a significant number of people who will be Highly Motivated to tweet like bastards if the thing fails to meet a minimum requirement for purpose. It's one of the reasons why class actions exist, and why they tried to say that you couldn't engage in one in the future.

Yes, every metric is a handwave, but until about five years ago reality was humming along just fine. You take your eye off the ball for a minute and *bang* it's wall-to-wall nazis.

Sunswipe posted:

We should start a campaign to get Braben knighted.

Whiteknighted.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

This level of theorycrafting this late in the game is loving terrifying :suicide:

I get so tempted to simply troll them on the basis of space marxism rendering the value of raw materials to below the value of the labor required to extract them.

I'm fairly certain that would trigger a certain intersection of space libertarianism.

Edit: watch me control the means of poast produktion, comrade.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 4, 2017

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Toops posted:

Timeline Criticisms:
  • CIG had to build a company from scratch, including hiring, building studios around the globe, etc.
  • R&D doesn't count.
  • All those games had engines already made. CIG is building their engine from scratch. It is called "Star Engine."
  • Those other games actually started development and R&D way before those dates, don't you know anything?
  • Star Citizen is doing something that literally no one has ever attempted before. Ground-breaking innovations take time.
  • Those games are bad because money-grubbing publishers forced them out the door before devs could make them into something good. Star Citizen doesn't have publishers, and no deadlines, so this means Star Citizen will be better.
  • This new era of gamers are impatient little bitches. I don't mind the wait, I have patience. I keep pledging so Chris Roberts will have as much time as he needs to recognize his vision.

• Star Citizen is more transparent than any other company, ever. You're seeing how the sausage is made.
  • There is way more content than they are showing us because they don't want to spoil it.
  • What are you talking about? I just spent <X> hours playing the game it's great/runs great/no bugs/perfectly smooth/amazing.
  • You obviously don't understand game development. Bugs like this are totally normal for a game in this stage of development. Have you ever heard of Alpha??
  • All of those things you just listed are on the schedule, they will be delivered in <patch number>
  • They are doing a lot of the ground-work tech / pipelines that will pave the way for faster content creation later.
  • Oh, they already have the tech for <most of new feature that came out of nowhere>, it's not much effort to add.

• Star Citizen is doing something different. They are bypassing the greedy publisher model only cares about profit and kills innovation.
  • I backed the game because I believe in Chris Roberts's vision, it's the game I've always dreamed of playing.
  • All the ships that can be bought can be acquired in-game, therefore not pay-to-win.
  • The game does not have subscriptions. You can subscribe to help pay for weekly content which gives us insights into game development never before seen.
  • You're not buying land! You're buying the ability to claim land. Huge difference.
  • It's not a scam. They have offices all over the world and the game is playable right now.
  • CIG is not in any kind of financial trouble, just look at the funding tracker.

General Rebuttals
  • Why are you even commenting if you hate the game so much? What kind of sad person just goes around tearing things down?
  • Oh look, another Derek Smart alt trying to spread lies and mis-information about Star Citizen because he's jealous.
  • Even if the game never comes out, I’m proud to be a part of it, at least Chris is trying.

Please reddit this on r/sc if you haven't already. We need to be able to link to it. Often.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
So about now is when their UK tax credit should have rolled in. Do you think that they could have dumped that ~5 million in cash back into the till during the sale and counted it as revenue? Followed immediately by them pulling it back out of the till and using it to pay back the Coutts loan they took out as an advance on the tax credit? Paying back a loan is a business expense after all.

I watched Sicaro the other day and it reminded me of that scene in the bank where they explained how the cartel was making deposits without being flagged as unsourced income. It was because they took out a loan to fund day to day operations and would have a mule use untraceable cash to pay off the loan in large chunks.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Codezombie posted:

The novel "Exaultant" is great for this, its premise is that ships have FTL, and they obey General Relativity, that is, ships in FTL travel backwards in time.

At one point the protagonist is watching damaged ships, that have not yet been built, limp back to base from a battle that has yet to occur. War fought with the availability of FTL drives is... weird.

Edit: I've actually have been idly working on a mechanic that would simulate true relativistic FTL in a 4X style game, but it would be very weird, a lot of book keeping and require some very creative use of AI. Other weirdness would be at some point there would be events like getting an older damaged clone of an existing ship, which means that the original must then be guaranteed to survive its next battle!

Check out Achron. It’s a multiplayer real-time strategy game with limited time travel. And yes, it’s pretty weird.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

BNB keeps talking about how CIG is handing out bans for people who play in offline mode to get decent framerates.

The purges are beginning :commissar:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Also he's been driving this rover through pitch black nothingness for like 20 minutes now, jesus.

that's some bad emergent gameplay, Harry.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Abuminable posted:

Please reddit this on r/sc if you haven't already. We need to be able to link to it. Often.

Someone did

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7hjnfc/star_citizen_defence_playbook/

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

Timeline Criticisms:
  • R&D doesn't count.

General Rebuttals

:perfect:
:downsbravo:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
The Star Citizen Situation Report

ps: I miss /r/ds; so I hope they keep finding new and inventive ways to snipe and attack me over in /r/sc :allears:

----------------

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

D_Smart posted:

I am prepared to print, sign, and mail him a signed copy of The July Blog. Such bravery must be rewarded.

Please make this a thing Derek.

And after you send the lad one, can I have one? :D

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

no_recall posted:

And, the top 10.

AbstractNapper 6.669
Tokamak 7.2
Sarsapariller 7.3
Sandweed 7.4
Beef Hardcheese 8.5
Goredema 9
Blue On Blue 10
Sunswipe 10
VealCutlet 48.9 million calories for lesnick that is
peter gabriel 400 billion

Lesnick needs to ease up...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

BNB keeps talking about how CIG is handing out bans for people who play in offline mode to get decent framerates.

lmao.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Beet Wagon posted:

This is good for Star Citizen.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

The laddies doth protest too much, methinks.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Yeah, he has no self-control. So making another video makes total sense. :allears: I do admire his tenacity though. I also like how he breaks down his gripes into language that mere morons can understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo8oU5WX0Lo

----------------

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Also he's been driving this rover through pitch black nothingness for like 20 minutes now, jesus.

that's some bad emergent gameplay, Harry.

Meanwhile, in X4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk4pPuC3GjA

Space fighting. Space trading. Space station building. *Slightly better record at releasing things*.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
How do we know a lot of these pledges aren't just drug money being laundered?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

SCtrumpHaters posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/vulture-are-you-kidding-me

look at this. One of the most active threads on spectrum. mad about the spaceships.
Spectrum: "Because its an entry level Reclaimer. It even has a salvage 'processing' area now according to its description."

I went googling because what in the hell is a salvage processing area? Is this citizen combining the yet unseen salvage mechanics with the the onboard ore refinery Chris dreamed up in 2015?

Ran into https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14354-Letter-From-The-Chairman instead fuuuuuuck

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Hav posted:

Whiteknighted.

Oh MAN! So close to the key for my cipher! Keep at it boys.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Oh MAN! So close to the key for my cipher! Keep at it boys.

No one cares, Toast.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Sunswipe posted:

No one cares, Toast.

I care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat