Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Didn't she get murdered in the final one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
She should team up with Lin Shaye, since it's a Blumhouse deal. Hopefully she gets Michael Myers to slip on some Activia.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I'm a fairly big fan of H20 so I'd kind of love if it ignored Resurrection and was a sequel to H20.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Here's hoping they get some Carpenter tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7tGX8LV-DM

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

R.I.P. Harry Dean Stanton :(

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Casimir Radon posted:

I didn't really mind the first couple of books despite their flaws. They were still reasonably fun. The third one spends the first half summarising the second from a different perspective and I just couldn't keep going. Fincher did a lot to streamline his version of the first one and it was sooo much better for it.

Completely agree. I love the original Swedish version of the film but Fincher really trimmed it down to what that story was really about.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Young Freud posted:

R.I.P. Harry Dean Stanton :(

Wait what gently caress no

He was great. :(

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuHDS5281uw

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Casimir Radon posted:

I didn't really mind the first couple of books despite their flaws. They were still reasonably fun. The third one spends the first half summarising the second from a different perspective and I just couldn't keep going. Fincher did a lot to streamline his version of the first one and it was sooo much better for it.

I wouldn't go that far. The books are basically mediocre airport novels that got a lot of goodwill due to the novelty of being set in Sweden plus not being hateful conservative trash.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There is some interest in Salander being not just the typical mystery novel savant who doesn't fit in but actually being legit hosed up and a victim of abuse and actually going into some detail on that apart from it just being color.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Sweden setting wasn't really novel at that point. Wallander novels had been selling in the US for more than a decade, and the BBC adaptation was 2 seasons in.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maxwell Lord posted:

There is some interest in Salander being not just the typical mystery novel savant who doesn't fit in but actually being legit hosed up and a victim of abuse and actually going into some detail on that apart from it just being color.

Doesn't the authors self insert do all the mystery solving and have sex with all the women while Lisbeth basically just beats people up?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminds me a bit of Matthew Reilly; airport novelist who mostly gets by on the novelty of not being entirely America-centric and not generally having long racist screeds.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Marry Me at Christmas:

People like chocolate. People like diamonds. Let's put out chocolate covered diamonds!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shoombo posted:

Yeah I have never understood the claim that John Wick 2 over-explains things. Even more than the first movie it's just a string of stylish set pieces with some cool assassin-sounding poo poo made up to string it along

Well, the premise is inherently silly, so pretty much any elaboration is too much.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Reminds me a bit of Matthew Reilly; airport novelist who mostly gets by on the novelty of not being entirely America-centric and not generally having long racist screeds.

Remember that a large section of the plot of Clancy's The Bear and the Dragon hinges on Chinese men having small dicks.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

Well, the premise is inherently silly, so pretty much any elaboration is too much.

Like, so is John Wick 1's, but there's an emotional core. Dude loses his girlfriend, she left him a dog to cope with his loss, some crooks kill the dog, he goes on a murder spree. There's an emotional core to the film of a deranged ex-hitman getting revenge. Chapter 2 is... they blew up his house because he doesn't wanna be a murder-man anymore. Like, the joke is gone now, and they never came up with a new one to justify the next film, and expected to play it straight through this one... which really doesn't work.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lote posted:

Marry Me at Christmas:

People like chocolate. People like diamonds. Let's put out chocolate covered diamonds!

His present for her this year is more than a mouthful!

Mathew reilly books are the best airport fiction, the action is so over the top it's amazing. Read the Great Zoo of China, it's Jurassic Park with dragons and lots of explosions :getin:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The MSJ posted:

New Halloween incoming. Jamie Lee Curtis still pretty hot.

https://twitter.com/jamieleecurtis/status/908760232016322560

They better call it Halloween H40

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 16, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

Like, so is John Wick 1's, but there's an emotional core. Dude loses his girlfriend, she left him a dog to cope with his loss, some crooks kill the dog, he goes on a murder spree. There's an emotional core to the film of a deranged ex-hitman getting revenge. Chapter 2 is... they blew up his house because he doesn't wanna be a murder-man anymore. Like, the joke is gone now, and they never came up with a new one to justify the next film, and expected to play it straight through this one... which really doesn't work.

It's a continuation from the first. John was done with that life because of his wife, and she was taken from him by a disease. He wants to respect her memory and stay out of the business he left, but is dragged back into it. He walked away from that life because of her, and he doesn't want to go back because then he will truly lose her.

It's pretty much explained when Ian McShane's character talks to the main villain. John was out, and now he's being forced back in against his wishes because all he wants is to live in peace with the memory of his wife. And he'll kill anyone who keeps him from that peace.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's a bunch of guys asking a reformed alcoholic/party animal to come spice up their party, because he had a few berrs the weekend before. But they didn't realise what partying with him really means.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I bet if the "bad moms" franchise still exists in 5 years they'll parter with wwe divas for a movie. One of the moms does an amateur fight night (do those exist?) and likes it and has to balance work and family and her new hobby and eventually choose which is most important 😘

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

With GLOW being popular, it's pretty likely.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Speaking of bad moms, Mother! has an F Cinemascore

Via Deadline:

quote:

3rd update, Friday 9:48PM Well, it’s clear: Moviegoers officially hate Darren Aronofsky’s Mother! The film scored a rare F grade from CinemaScore audiences tonight, and there were many rivals heading into the weekend who were expecting that type of reaction. As we heard at noon, the bold Jennifer Lawrence pic is crashing well below its projections with an estimated $8M in third.

This has nothing to do with the actual quality of the movie itself, it just means that it's not the type of movie that the audience was expecting, and will probably financially suffer from negative word of mouth.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I mean, given what happens in the movie, it is not a surprise that a bog-standard Friday night audience would recoil from the movie as hard as they possibly could. I’d be more weirded out if it got like a B (of course, in today’s “all or nothing” market even that gets written off as a failure by pundits and studios; really they should just do a four-star system) or something.

It’s definitely going to be a movie that’ll develop a cult following in a few years for being ridiculously bold. More of a Requiem For A Dream than a Black Swan.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Via Deadline:

quote:

3rd update, Friday 9:48PM Well, it’s clear: Moviegoers officially hate Darren Aronofsky’s Mother! The film scored a rare F grade from CinemaScore audiences tonight, and there were many rivals heading into the weekend who were expecting that type of reaction. As we heard at noon, the bold Jennifer Lawrence pic is crashing well below its projections with an estimated $8M in third.
This has nothing to do with the actual quality of the movie itself, it just means that it's not the type of movie that the audience was expecting, and will probably financially suffer from negative word of mouth.
If people were wondering how rare this is, apparently there's only been twelve F scores handed out since 2004 out of the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of movies they've polled.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Took a look at the list of films that got an F Cinemascore. Not a single surprise on there.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The first third should be assassins getting in hilarious accidents trying super hard to not piss him off.
I like it. A Don't Wake Daddy type scenario where Keanu's just heavily snoring in the middle of the room and the world's most famous assassins are slapstick tiptoeing and pratfalling around him.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Via Deadline:

Aronofsky, you had my curiosity, but now you have my attention. Could this be his Funny Games? Even his...Funny Games US??

here's some dude going in on him but they want my adblocker off so they can go gently caress themselves
http://observer.com/2017/09/darren-aronofsky-mother-worst-movie-of-the-year/

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Doesn't the authors self insert do all the mystery solving and have sex with all the women while Lisbeth basically just beats people up?

Not quite. The way I remember it he does a fair bit of research that doesn't go anywhere until Lisbeth comes in and hacks everything.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Halfway to shadowrun there, jusy throw in an orc and some neon lights

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Reserved 3 tickets to mother! tomorrow... wish me luck goons

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seeing Mother monday and I know literally nothing about it and have no idea what people are so mad about.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

Seeing Mother monday and I know literally nothing about it and have no idea what people are so mad about.

It's an Aronofsky film. If people aren't angry you should probably be concerned.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Taintrunner posted:

Keep it that way. Read as little as you possibly can about it. Going into it having no idea what to expect will make your head spin. It rules.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Barudak posted:

Took a look at the list of films that got an F Cinemascore. Not a single surprise on there.

Well the list is a random mix of downright terrible critically bashed films and a few critically acclaimed arty films which the audience gave an F for varying reasons so you must be pretty drat prescient

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Keep it that way. Read as little as you possibly can about it. Going into it having no idea what to expect will make your head spin. It rules.

I wasn't going to see it because I really don't like horror movies and that's what it had been advertised as around where I live. Then I was spoiled on the plot so I went, and loved it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

Well the list is a random mix of downright terrible critically bashed films and a few critically acclaimed arty films which the audience gave an F for varying reasons so you must be pretty drat prescient

It's not like I knew the specific films, just that the only things that would get F scores would be things that would leave the audience beyond "unsatsified" but "personally affronted" like personal favorite "The Devil Inside" which invited moviegoers to go to a goddamn website for the ending.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I first learned about the existence of Mother in the previews of "It" where they were promoting something exclusive about the screening.

I don't even know how that happens, I average roughly a movie a week in the theater, not a lot of movies come out in the theaters without hitting my radar. I guess I sometimes miss the first preview and maybe it's just that every time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that trailer was really bad cuz it makes the movie look like rosemary's baby tho it'd be difficult to advertize it i think. just like the trailers for noah didn't prepare you for how weird it got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Earlier Robotech talk left me very confused. When i was a little child i just to watch this cartoon about cowboys who shot laser guns and had a huge robots who wore cowboy hats.. they might even combine into a giant robot..

I thought it was robotech but i guess it's not.. very strange

• Locked thread