Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

:smugdog:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/officials-trump-approves-plan-arm-syrian-kurds-n756886

quote:

The officials could not say what might flow in first or how it would get there, but among the expected options are:

Breaching equipment — bulldozers, engineering equipment
More effective infantry equipment: rifles, ammunition, armor and communication gear (radios)

The officials said the equipment could be delivered by any number of methods: Ground convoys, C-130s, and air drops are all possible, depending on what the equipment is and the area.

What's unclear is whether the U.S. may provide bigger equipment.

It's another tranche of weaponry and combat gear for Team Yellow. Last weapons transfer was in support of the drive towards Raqqa, and of course the ATGMs provided by the US were used against the Turks during the border dispute. It's not surprising to not see them on the list of equipment to be provided, at least the public list. Most interesting in this list is the construction equipment because of its wild range of applications. The Iraqi army (and ISIS) make use of construction equipment in the battle for Mosul to clear and create barricades as troops advance and defend their positions so these will be instrumental in taking Raqqa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My friend loves Sargon of akkad, can anyone hit his main talking points wrt to the middle east? I've converted exactly one Sargon video to mp3 and listened to it, thought it was fine-ish (about you tube add scandal, which I had no prior knowledge of or opinion on). His videos are too long and I dont want to listen to another but drat if I don't know my friend will, and then talk to me about it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Jack B Nimble posted:

My friend loves Sargon of akkad, can anyone hit his main talking points wrt to the middle east? I've converted exactly one Sargon video to mp3 and listened to it, thought it was fine-ish (about you tube add scandal, which I had no prior knowledge of or opinion on). His videos are too long and I dont want to listen to another but drat if I don't know my friend will, and then talk to me about it.

I can gently caress all of him and all of his lovely retard friends in everything to do with the middle east, PM me, and I will gladly talk to both you and your friend and refute everything that fat retard uneducated pedant from swindon has to say. but I will not however sit through his drivel, you have to bring me specifically his points for me to refute and knock some sense into your lovely friend.

Do yourself a favor, tell your friend that sargon never even went to college so anything he has to say is the opinion of lovely stupid middle aged retard from swindon who screamed at women for having opinions on videogames and proudly threatened to throw someone he disagrees with out fo a helicopter like a Pinochet fascist.

My advice to you is to not listen to a word he says, period, he's a vile disingenuous idiot who was proven time and time again to talk oout of his rear end, hasn't even read the papers that he cites with his bullshit points, and has recently touted Richard spencer the American neo-Nazi as /his guy/.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 9, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks, I'm sure he'll mention something specific soon that can be discussed. And I could probably stand to listen to one more meandering Sargon piece if I can get some feedback from the thread on what he says.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Fellow goon Hbomberguy has a funny series of youtubes concerning the guy and his friends too, maybe take a look at those.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Clarissa Ward put out a new report with new footage from Khan Sheikoun. She's with CNN, and she's gone to Syria many times even as most journalists stopped going. This is just a preview, but it gives you an idea.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/862044351123386369

More at the link.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Finally the Kurds can get some real supplies. Eat a dick Turkey.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

pro starcraft loser posted:

Finally the Kurds can get some real supplies. Eat a dick Turkey.

Gobble gobble

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Surprise surprise.

https://twitter.com/clarissaward/status/862179907073429504

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

The click of boots and the sound of tank treads vanishes when certain news is posted.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/melisaraimmo/status/862217699761565696

https://twitter.com/SOSYALlST/status/862242772560072704

https://twitter.com/melisaraimmo/status/862315008264425472

Looks like Tabqa dam is finally about to get rolled over

e:

Also the Raqqa offensive is back on again
https://twitter.com/SOSYALlST/status/862260338628186112

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 10, 2017

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Brother Friendship posted:

The click of boots and the sound of tank treads vanishes when certain news is posted.

no amount of gas attacks will make US funding of islamist militias in a foreign civil war defensible

hope

this

helps

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fiction posted:

no amount of gas attacks will make US funding of islamist militias in a foreign civil war defensible

hope

this

helps
You knew what makes Islamist militias defensible? TOWs and Stingers.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Fiction posted:

hope

this

helps

lol

e: you must still be really mad that so many TOWs got used on Assad's tanks.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 10, 2017

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Fiction posted:

hope

this

helps

lmao

*in a very Assadian voice*

whelp back to liquidating the population

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

lmao the Assadians literally run concentration camps but the real issue is some dude dressed up like a warlock shooting a missile at fascists

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Personally I think both sides are bad.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

The truth is somewhere in the middle!!!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
|-----the truth--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

There's a cholera outbreak in Yemen threatening to get out of control.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Squalid posted:

There's a cholera outbreak in Yemen threatening to get out of control.

The conditions must truly be squalid.

e; sorry

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 10, 2017

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dodoman posted:

The conditions must truly be squalid.

e; sorry

You're not sorry.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheBaghdadPostE/status/862366293751734273

The battle for Mosul is approaching its apex. ISIS is dug heavily into the Old City (black section) at the southern end of their territory and the less defensible territory to their north is being stripped away day by day. It won't be long before ISIS is besieged exclusively in the Old City, which will also be crammed with as many civilians as they can drag into it. It will be a special hell to root them out of there, if their tactics so far are indicative of anything. ISIS fled Manbij when it became apparent they lost, but apparently fought to the death in Taqba (?), I wonder if some sort of deal is possible or even desirable when the battle arrives to that point here.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Do ISIS make a habit of stockpiling large amounts of foodstuff? Could they not be simply penned in and starved out?

I know the civilians would suffer in this, but the alternative of a difficult assault in a crowded urban environment will lead to lots of civilian casualties too. And lots more deaths for the attacking force.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Blut posted:

Do ISIS make a habit of stockpiling large amounts of foodstuff? Could they not be simply penned in and starved out?

I know the civilians would suffer in this, but the alternative of a difficult assault in a crowded urban environment will lead to lots of civilian casualties too. And lots more deaths for the attacking force.

ISIS will hoard as much food, ammunition, hostages and soldiers into as strong a position as possible and force the Iraqi army fight for every single inch. It's a murder suicide of as much of the Mosul population as they can seize as well as great cultural treasures. It's like the rest of Mosul but amplified due to a number of factors in play, chief among them being that the fighters left to ISIS are abandoned foreigners who can't blend back into the local population and are wanted men in their home countries. What choice do they have but to fight to the death? The question is how much resistance can they offer and how much damage can they inflict before utterly breaking.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Blut posted:

Syria's been doing this for years now in various pockets around the country, including ones right outside Damascus.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Egyptian aircraft blew up a convoy of 15 cars on the Libyan border, unclear if they were Islamist infiltrators or just regular smugglers. In other Libyan news American export fighters have been photographed on an airbase used by Haftar's militia forces. They probably belong to the U.A.E., which has long supported Haftar, and their presence in Libya is a violation of the arms embargo. Haftar and members of one of the Tripoli governments have made noise about a reconciliation government but who knows if it is serious.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/the_47th/status/862650428823142402

Normally I'd consider this to be a giant face palm but come to think of it this might be a stroke of genius considering who Donald trump is and what his personality is like, he's gonna go full sahwa and say " prevention of vice and promotion of virtue is great folks! I should ask sessions if we can have something this wonderful at home"!!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Normally I'd consider this to be a giant face palm but come to think of it this might be a stroke of genius considering who Donald trump is and what his personality is like, he's gonna go full sahwa and say " prevention of vice and promotion of virtue is great folks! I should ask sessions if we can have something this wonderful at home"!!

Wait until he finds out Trump Tower Riyadh can't get a liquor license.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Wait until he finds out Trump Tower Riyadh can't get a liquor license.

Lol he doesn't drink and he's got property.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Lol we live in the most absurd timeline

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Brother Friendship posted:

ISIS will hoard as much food, ammunition, hostages and soldiers into as strong a position as possible and force the Iraqi army fight for every single inch. It's a murder suicide of as much of the Mosul population as they can seize as well as great cultural treasures. It's like the rest of Mosul but amplified due to a number of factors in play, chief among them being that the fighters left to ISIS are abandoned foreigners who can't blend back into the local population and are wanted men in their home countries. What choice do they have but to fight to the death? The question is how much resistance can they offer and how much damage can they inflict before utterly breaking.

But thats my exact point. Why not save the Iraqi army the casualties, and just let ISIS sit there and starve? They surely couldn't last for too long with no hope of resupply.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Blut posted:

But thats my exact point. Why not save the Iraqi army the casualties, and just let ISIS sit there and starve? They surely couldn't last for too long with no hope of resupply.

Because ISIS aren't the only people trapped in there?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Blut posted:

Because this kind of strategy is considered inhumane towards the non-combatants in the city, as can be seen by coverage about Assad using the same tactic.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Engaging in door to door urban combat in the old city, densely populated by ISIS fighters, will also result in huge civilian casualties though.

Neither scenario would prevent civilian deaths, but one of them at least would minimize Iraqi army casualties.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Blut posted:

Engaging in door to door urban combat in the old city, densely populated by ISIS fighters, will also result in huge civilian casualties though.

Neither scenario would prevent civilian deaths, but one of them at least would minimize Iraqi army casualties.

Don't underestimate the difficulty of a siege, the LNA in Libya have had sections of Benghazi controlled by Islamists under siege for something like two or three years now. Remember the fighters trapped aren't going to be passive either, and soldiers enforcing a siege can't be used elsewhere.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Blut posted:

Yeah, the fighting will be brutal, but the alternatives (flattening the city or starving them out) will result in many more civilian casualties than retaking the city block by block. As callous as it might seem, when you have the choice to minimize civilian casualties (of either side) or minimize losses to your own forces, the former is right.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Wouldn't it be a severe blow to the legitimacy of the Iraqi state if they conceded that they didn't have the ability to project force into their own cities

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yes, but that ship sorta sailed back when they lost Mosul in the first place. These days it seems to be more about reasserting Shia dominance and protecting themselves than redeeming the state as such.

I'm not sure what the future of Iraq will look like, but the kurds have already pretty much gone their own way, Anbar seems all but ungovernable from Baghdad, and so much power has devolved to the local militias that's it's not clear how they can possibly claw it back.

They have to try, of course, -- at least in Mosul -- but I'm not convinced that defeating ISIS and restoring Iraq are really the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Yea, just because assad is a monster doesn't mean you should go to bat for groups that literally treat women worse than property. That murder homosexuals. That kill innocents people. That torture children.

Unfortunately a lot of the misogynistic and racist people that post in this thread think otherwise, it's quite sad and pathetic : (

• Locked thread