Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

~Coxy posted:

I replaced the capacitor on a ceiling fan and it sucks. Even with two people on a mostly-normal ceiling height it was a huge pain in the rear end and frankly I'm amazed we didn't drop it.

This is the second or third post about how hard ceiling fans are to deal with. And I agree, but not to this extent. Are those of you having this much trouble not using/don't know about the chain you attach to the base to hold them in place? Now you have two hands to do your wiring and then you use one hand to hold the fan into the base and start attaching it - with a magnetic screwdriver so you don't need both hands to get the screws started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Woot my woodshop is nearly complete! I went to a new pawn shop today and I found this janky rusted old miter saw for $120. I talked them down to $100 and now its mine :D

It chooches, but thats about all it does. Its covered it old dust and cobwebs and the adjustment screws are rusted so that it won't go up and down (I guess its an upside down table saw :v:) No problem! I can fix er up with some WD40 and elbow grease. Never found a cheap miter saw before, they are always $250+ even for used ones.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rutibex posted:

Woot my woodshop is nearly complete! I went to a new pawn shop today and I found this janky rusted old miter saw for $120. I talked them down to $100 and now its mine :D

It chooches, but thats about all it does. Its covered it old dust and cobwebs and the adjustment screws are rusted so that it won't go up and down (I guess its an upside down table saw :v:) No problem! I can fix er up with some WD40 and elbow grease. Never found a cheap miter saw before, they are always $250+ even for used ones.

No it loving is not an upside down table saw and don't try to goon it into one.

Idk where you live, but that's not a bargain in the U.S.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Where in the world do you live that that was worth $100?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Thats $100 Canadian dollars

Edit: and no I don't plan to use it as a upside down table saw, I'm not literally insane and i also value my fingers

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 14, 2020

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

$100 is still pretty insane for that

I bought a near-new Ryobi miter saw when I was getting started for $75

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I bought a new Ryobi 10" sliding miter from Home Depot for $140 USD a couple years ago. I don't understand 100 canadian moon dollars for a broken saw

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ok after fiddling around with it, its not rusted shut the bolts was just particularly tightened. Also its not just a normal miter saw its a compound Mitre Saw (not sliding).

It's good I don't care you can't harsh my new tool buzz :colbert:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

thatguy posted:

Has anybody used either a dry or wet concrete saw or a concrete chainsaw?
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/concrete-cutters/professional-concrete-cutters/gs461/
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/cut-off-machines/professional-cut-off-machines//ts800/?rev=BVSpotlights
https://www.husqvarnacp.com/us/machines/power-cutters/k-770-dry-cut/967942001/

I run a business that does trail construction and maintenance and we do a lot of rock work, although it's usually not precision work. A new client is going to be demanding a lot of rock shaping, and due to situations out of my control it's likely the only water access we'll have is water we hike in for a couple miles. I'm just trying to judge how well these saws, especially the dry cut saw will work vs hammer drill and feathering breaks in fieldstone vs using any of the concrete saws.

Stones will not be uniform in size, they'll range significantly so I mean clearly I'll end up using it only some of the time.

I've used a dry-cut diamond sawblade in a circular saw to cut concrete, but I've no idea how that compares to cutting fieldstone. As others have noted, it kicks up a ton of dust all around, and is quite loud. I went pretty slowly too, and ultimately still needed a cold steel chisel and hammer to split the pieces because the concrete was thicker than the max depth of the sawblade. Still, I got nice clean lines.

Chirk Manbote
Apr 19, 2012
Anybody here familiar with cnc laser cutting tables?
Fiber laser, we need to be able to cut ~3'x3' but don't have a huge shop, shouldn't need more than 8kW.
I need to price one out for work (an ME job I suddenly moved up into) and am a little confused by the massive range of cost.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Rutibex posted:

Ok after fiddling around with it, its not rusted shut the bolts was just particularly tightened. Also its not just a normal miter saw its a compound Mitre Saw (not sliding).

It's good I don't care you can't harsh my new tool buzz :colbert:
If it does what you need it to, and it was a deal for your area, then legitimate congrats!

But yeah, around here, that's a.... Baffling price. Even converting to USD. This thread is a constant reminder though that every area's used tool market is wildly different.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 15, 2020

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Chirk Manbote posted:

Anybody here familiar with cnc laser cutting tables?
Fiber laser, we need to be able to cut ~3'x3' but don't have a huge shop, shouldn't need more than 8kW.
I need to price one out for work (an ME job I suddenly moved up into) and am a little confused by the massive range of cost.

Cut what? 8kw is kinda on the low end for fiber, should always go bigger with an investment like that so youre not trying to sell to upgrade in a few years.

Also are you really asking the tools thread for recommendations on ~$50000 machines :monocle:

Chirk Manbote
Apr 19, 2012

JEEVES420 posted:

Cut what? 8kw is kinda on the low end for fiber, should always go bigger with an investment like that so youre not trying to sell to upgrade in a few years.

Also are you really asking the tools thread for recommendations on ~$50000 machines :monocle:

Is it really? Dang!
Stainless 304, 18xx and 4xxx steels, and aluminum, ideally cutting thicker than 1/2".
5/8" is our local laser cutting shop's max thickness. We just need it in-house for rapid prototyping what aforementioned shop cant keep up with.

Yes I really am XD
But don't worry, I'm also doing legit legwork in parallel. Just want that goon :discourse: in the mix.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chirk Manbote posted:

Is it really? Dang!
Stainless 304, 18xx and 4xxx steels, and aluminum, ideally cutting thicker than 1/2".
5/8" is our local laser cutting shop's max thickness. We just need it in-house for rapid prototyping what aforementioned shop cant keep up with.

Yes I really am XD
But don't worry, I'm also doing legit legwork in parallel. Just want that goon :discourse: in the mix.

The old laser thread is here but it's locked due to age. I think it was largely goons with K40s but some of them may be familiar with the big stuff.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Rexxed posted:

The old laser thread is here but it's locked due to age. I think it was largely goons with K40s but some of them may be familiar with the big stuff.

Isn’t there someone who does EDM here? In my mind, you see, they’re similar processes because they both go pew pew zap zowwww.
Also I imagine that anyone in the production size CNC non-contact machining world would have at least an idea of where to start.

I do CNC machining in the sense that sometimes my computer distracts me and I run a file somewhere I didn’t mean to and have to make it a design feature.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Belt grinder was supposed to ship with motor

VFD was supposed to arrive today but it didn't, not sure what's happening with it but it was apparently out for delivery all day (it's currently 8:30pm so I assume it's not coming lmao)

Supplier didn't send the motor (it was ordered separately under click and collect then asked to ship it with the grinder).

To make up for it, one of the guys who works there is dropping it off after work tomorrow as well as the $140 worth of belts that I ordered :D

E: turns out the guy actually lives within a km of me so it's literally on his way home

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

McSpergin posted:

Belt grinder was supposed to ship with motor

VFD was supposed to arrive today but it didn't, not sure what's happening with it but it was apparently out for delivery all day (it's currently 8:30pm so I assume it's not coming lmao)

Supplier didn't send the motor (it was ordered separately under click and collect then asked to ship it with the grinder).

To make up for it, one of the guys who works there is dropping it off after work tomorrow as well as the $140 worth of belts that I ordered :D

E: turns out the guy actually lives within a km of me so it's literally on his way home

That's sweet. I picked up a Lista cabinet from a machine shop that is literally in the same building as an industrial cutting tool/supplies company. That must be nice: break an endmill or need coolant? Walk through the back door and into the showroom!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Chirk Manbote posted:

Is it really? Dang!

Yes I really am XD

You might ask in the Metalworking thread. There are some machinist types that work with big fancy machines in there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Do spade bits exist that are bigger than 1 1/2 inch?

Looking to bore a hole in some HDPE. Need a 1 7/8" or two inch hole.

I've looked in the usual places (lowes-depot-rona) can't find anything.
Starting to look throught the Fastenal site but no luck yet there.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

wesleywillis posted:

You may have to jump up to something like a forstner bit or hole saw.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
You definitely want a hole saw our forstner bit for something that big. Are you boring through a sheet? Tube?

Are you using a handheld drill or a press? A 2" spade bit might require too much torque for a handheld drill (or your hands) to handle.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Drill press. Plastic block, 1 inch thick. Just tried with a 2 inch hole saw, I mostly melted a hole through the piece.
I turned the RPM down to 300 according to the belt diagram under the lid.

I put some 1.5" diameter holes in other pieces for the same project using a spade bit, there was a poo poo load of chips/mess, but I didn't melt the hole, it actually drilled it.

I'd rather have the mess than the melted holes.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wesleywillis posted:

Drill press. Plastic block, 1 inch thick. Just tried with a 2 inch hole saw, I mostly melted a hole through the piece.
I turned the RPM down to 300 according to the belt diagram under the lid.

I put some 1.5" diameter holes in other pieces for the same project using a spade bit, there was a poo poo load of chips/mess, but I didn't melt the hole, it actually drilled it.

I'd rather have the mess than the melted holes.

How many holes? You may want to drill a pilot hole, jigsaw out a lot of the waste, and then clean up with a hole saw. You'd need to have it clamped in place for that last bit, obviously.

As to the drill bit scenario, I picked up an adjustable cutterhead type bit years ago that has a single cutter held by an arm with a center pilot bit. It's awkward as hell, but it adjusts to that size. Also, there may be some auger bits that big.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Mr. Mambold posted:

How many holes? You may want to drill a pilot hole, jigsaw out a lot of the waste, and then clean up with a hole saw. You'd need to have it clamped in place for that last bit, obviously.

A bunch. 12 holes in each piece. Already have the pilot holes in place. Just small ones though. Not big enough for a jigsaw blade. I can enlarge though, but I might run out to lowes and get a forstner bit set.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wesleywillis posted:

A bunch. 12 holes in each piece. Already have the pilot holes in place. Just small ones though. Not big enough for a jigsaw blade. I can enlarge though, but I might run out to lowes and get a forstner bit set.

I'd look for a single 2" forstner bit in carbide if such a thing exists. (it does) https://www.amazon.com/s?k=2%22+carbide+forstner+Bits&ref=nb_sb_noss

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

For HDPE I use a diamond hole saw and either water or rubbing alcohol (less abuse on cast iron press) as coolant while I cut. Take it slow with 1-2 seconds of cutting to 3-5 seconds of cool down.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I used a regular hole saw to do all twelve holes on one piece, and it was a pain. No coolant though, but I went slower, stopped, cleaned the teeth out, went again, stopped, cleaned teeth etc...
I'm sure I saw an Adjustable Spade bit now that I think of it at Home Depot near here, so I might go look for one. No luck looking online for Forstner bits of the proper size. The one I thought I saw on the Lowes website wasn't the right size.
I'd pick something up from amazon, or order it from Fastenal, but I've got the time tomorrow, I'm hoping to finish at least one of these things and install it. If only the metal people would call me back....

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

I used a regular hole saw to do all twelve holes on one piece, and it was a pain. No coolant though, but I went slower, stopped, cleaned the teeth out, went again, stopped, cleaned teeth etc...
I'm sure I saw an Adjustable Spade bit now that I think of it at Home Depot near here, so I might go look for one. No luck looking online for Forstner bits of the proper size. The one I thought I saw on the Lowes website wasn't the right size.
I'd pick something up from amazon, or order it from Fastenal, but I've got the time tomorrow, I'm hoping to finish at least one of these things and install it. If only the metal people would call me back....

Bi-metal hole saws and will gum up quick on composites, as you have found. Diamond hole saws grind instead of take chunks. With water cooling/cleaning the "grit" stays clean enough to keep grinding away. I use them on HDPE, PVC, Resin, Carbon Fiber, etc. with great success. But never wood or metal which is what the bi-metal are meant for. Anything trying to take a slice or chunk will gum up and dull quickly. So saw blades/Spade/Fostner/Drill bits all suck for composites.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Forstners work awesome in UHMW. You've got to have enough clamping force to hold the plastic and enough torque to drive the bit at a high feed and low speed. Hole saws suck in composites, there's no clearance in the teeth for all the chips, but forstners cut a wide chip that flows nicely out the back.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks y'all. I ended up getting a 1-7/8" hole saw which was the size I was hoping for to begin with. I just went slow and adjusted my techniques. It wasn't ideal but I got it done. Now I wish the metal place would call and tell me my order is ready so I can finish the job.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Re: band saws, after rounds of getting burned and sold out from under me finally found a craigslist saw. I wasn't planning on spending $500, but for a Rikon 10-324 I couldn't be more excited. Was worried about not getting a saw with enough resaw capacity for me and whoops definitely not gonna be an issue now. Mobile base saves me a few bucks too, only thing it's missing is a miter gauge.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

It lives!

Still waiting for the courier to tell me where the hell my VFD is (I have an inkling but no idea as no card was left) but the 3 phase cable is due to arrive today (I'll miss it being at work but the post office is a 5 minute walk away lol) and with any luck the welder at work will get my plinth finished this afternoon so I can make a trip to Bunnings and grab some rubber matting (to put between the feet and the plinth to prevent noise), some castors for the back and some feet for the front

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Anyone have recommendations for a good hand vacuum? Wife wants one for pet hair and small messes, I'd like to get one that I can use with a big battery ecosystem like Ryobi. I have a Bosch 18v drill and driver but the vacuum doesn't get the best reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Handheld-Vacuum-Cleaner-GAS18V-02N/dp/B07BQGCQQZ
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Hand-Vacuum-with-2-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Kit-P7131-P163/313091848
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...P714K/206594038

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I could be wrong but I think you might be better off just getting one with the battery built in. Both of my Milwaukee battery vacs are pretty meh, while my Dyson V8 is great and has mostly replaced the corded vacuum in our house.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I've been curious about the ryobi stick vac, but lots of reviews say it has clogging issues.

We also have a dyson v7 that is thoroughly meh, it doesn't replace a corded vac.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

I've been curious about the ryobi stick vac, but lots of reviews say it has clogging issues.

We also have a dyson v7 that is thoroughly meh, it doesn't replace a corded vac.

Yeah the reviews turned me off on this. I ended up with a refurbished shark for ~100 and love it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bob Mundon posted:

Re: band saws, after rounds of getting burned and sold out from under me finally found a craigslist saw. I wasn't planning on spending $500, but for a Rikon 10-324 I couldn't be more excited. Was worried about not getting a saw with enough resaw capacity for me and whoops definitely not gonna be an issue now. Mobile base saves me a few bucks too, only thing it's missing is a miter gauge.

How you likey your Rikey so far? Does yours have a fence?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Bob Mundon posted:

FYI, they don't come with a miter gauge new.

Does the mobile base wider footprint make less top heavy feeling? I ended up putting a bag of cement that solidified on the bottom shelf to help balance it.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Mr. Mambold posted:

I have the 10-325 that I bought used. It's fine. The bearing guide is finicky to set up, the bearings ride on these spring-loaded rails, so you actually have to push the guide into the blade, tighten the set knob, and allow the backlash to pull the bearing back so it's just not touching. Otherwise it cuts woods good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Mr. Mambold posted:

Yeah came with a fence, although no resaw guide but I think I can manage. Had a pretty long drive to get it so haven't made any cuts yet but just setting it up can't really believe this thing is in my garage. Quite a step up from anything else I have.

As mentioned the bottom guides are incredibly fiddly, the lower guide doesn't even have spring loaded bearings so a far cry from their 326 version. Crazy it takes two wrenches and an allen key to adjust all the guides, but considering it's got a 14 amp motor and 13 inch resaw capacity.....I think I can live with that.

JEEVES420 posted:

FYI, they don't come with a miter gauge new.

Does the mobile base wider footprint make less top heavy feeling? I ended up putting a bag of cement that solidified on the bottom shelf to help balance it.

Just rolling it around the garage it didn't seem too bad. Rolling it down the other guys driveway and over bumps though? Definitely still a little too heavy, but still manageable.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 17, 2020