Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Does the Jewish god enjoy getting laywer-balled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

canis minor posted:

I don't know if it's real or not, but it makes me question Judaism: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kosherswitch-control-electricity-on-shabbat

https://youtu.be/NdbkvJznmwU

edit: apparently people are not happy with it as well: http://www.torahmusings.com/2011/09/in-defense-of-the-kosher-switch/
edit 2: I'm not Jewish

I'm not anti-religion or anything but when your hot religious topics include debating whether using a loving lightswitch will piss god off, you might need to evaluate the relevancy of your beliefs.

Worked for Carl Sagan.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

canis minor posted:

I don't know if it's real or not, but it makes me question Judaism: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kosherswitch-control-electricity-on-shabbat

edit: apparently people are not happy with it as well: http://www.torahmusings.com/2011/09/in-defense-of-the-kosher-switch/

Man, I remember seeing something like this years ago on TV. I don't remember what exactly or where it was, on the Daily Show or something, where they showed devout Jewish people who couldn't press an elevator button on the Sabbath, but they COULD turn a specially-designed knob instead.

It's like, what. Turning this knob still calls an elevator, just in a slightly different way than pressing a button would have?? Why does God make a distinction about that

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

It seems to hinge on non-determinism, but over a long enough time period the probability of it turning off the light approaches 1 which seems pretty deterministic to me. If non-determinism is all you needed they could use voice commands that ignore you 20% of the time. Either way it isn't making a choice in the same way the sassy Jamaican lady was.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If I have learned anything about Judaism on the Internet, it's that they love to rules-lawyer God constantly.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

There's a prohibition on talking about weekday matters on Shabbat, so it seems like it would be a violation to ask the Jamaican lady to flip a switch. Then again thousands of years of rule lawyering beats ten minutes of googling.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

canis minor posted:

I'm going to showcase my own ignorance on this one but I have absolutely no idea why this is necessary.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I'm going to showcase my own ignorance on this one but I have absolutely no idea why this is necessary.

YHVH doesn't always make rule that make sense. He makes rules to make sure you will need the help and validation of 10 theological experts to know if you are doing things correctly. It's an interesting business model.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

YHVH doesn't always make rule that make sense. He makes rules to make sure you will need the help and validation of 10 theological experts to know if you are doing things correctly. It's an interesting business model.

Apropos nothing, happy US tax day!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

canis minor posted:

Lol, the minimal support pledge is chai (18) dollars. I don't know if that means it's a joke or that it's totally serious.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Elliotw2 posted:

If I have learned anything about Judaism on the Internet, it's that they love to rules-lawyer God constantly.

This.

It's forbidden for Jews to carry certain objects outside their own homes on shabbos; the literal admonition is against "transferring something from one domain type to another domain type," so transferring an item from a private domain (your house) to a public domain (the neighborhood street) is right out.

Solution: Use fences or in some cases even just a symbolic wire or string around the neighborhood, to make it all one domain type! Then everyone can carry what they need and still obey the law.

Local example: http://lowermerioneruv.org/wordpress/?page_id=62

Bonus rules-lawyering:

quote:

In addition, we have designated food for a common meal for all the Jewish residents within the area of the “eruv” and placed it in a location accessible to all, in this case in a wooden box in the coat room of the Lower Merion Synagogue. This common meal—a box of matzot—combines all the Jews in the area as sharing residence in one common property, fulfilling the second requirement. This meal is called “eruvei chatzeirot”, combining of courtyards, hence the colloquial use of term “eruv” for the enclosure itself.

Feynman has some good anecdotes as well. I think that switch is the opposite of an awful kickstarter, it's pretty brilliant.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Orthodox Jews aren't allowed to "work" on Shabbat, which is sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday, and no "working" means no turning lights on or off.

Normally they hire a local gentile to do it for them.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
The general life rule of "don't work on one day of the week" sounds like excellent life advice, especially when working consisted of hard labor in a desert for lots of people

But taking it to the extent of "don't flip a lightswitch or carry a thing (any thing) outside" makes it sound a bit silly

And then to try to get around it by rules-lawyering a random-number-generator lightswitch thing, to allow you to double-indirectly turn a light on/off... :psyduck:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

lifg posted:

Orthodox Jews aren't allowed to "work" on Shabbat, which is sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday, and no "working" means no turning lights on or off.

It's also because turning on an incandescent bulb is like "lighting a fire" and "cooking metal", closing the electrical circuit is like "the final hammer blow" and it's all prohibited too. Modern technologies are endless sources of fun for orthodox Jews.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also every once and a while a bunch of them die because they do things like leave hotplates on all weekend and cause massive fires.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I've come across a couple articles listing which ways of 'tricking' gentiles into doing stuff for them are acceptable.

Put a chocolate bar in a dark room, and tell the gentile it is a gift. The gentile will turn on the lights in order to find the chocolate.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
But you cant use a grochlo ond the machli in the shabass :O

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Germstore posted:

I've come across a couple articles listing which ways of 'tricking' gentiles into doing stuff for them are acceptable.

Put a chocolate bar in a dark room, and tell the gentile it is a gift. The gentile will turn on the lights in order to find the chocolate.

Is it acceptable to trick a gentile into killing someone they hate?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

Religion makes people do some weird loving poo poo man. :stare:

An RNG lightswitch, I've seen it all.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Germstore posted:

Does the Jewish god enjoy getting laywer-balled?

Yes actually

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Yes actually

Just asking, because the generally much chiller Christian god would flip some tables over that poo poo.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I know I shouldn't laugh at other people's religions, but this KickStarter for an anti-masturbation app is quite amazing. Seriously, go read the whole thing.

quote:

Those striving to break the habit should be wary of anyone who approaches and asks them to "go rub one out," or who invites them to a "pole greasing party," or a "knob polishing gala." These events are but a few of the tools the Lubricatti use to lead us down the proverbial and possibly literal slippery slope.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

That's gotta be a joke project dude.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

QUACKTASTIC posted:

What are you going to do after you're 20?

Continue living and being poor.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's also because turning on an incandescent bulb is like "lighting a fire" and "cooking metal", closing the electrical circuit is like "the final hammer blow" and it's all prohibited too. Modern technologies are endless sources of fun for orthodox Jews.

My concern is what happens with someone forgets to set the Shabbat switch in advance; I'm gonna start a Kickstarter for the Kosher-Kosherswitch-Switch to fix that problem.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Judaism has had six thousand years of human atrocity to get painfully, awkwardly set in their ways. You just wait for 7000AD, when all NuYorkrs must yearly sacrifice a tourist to the R-train for daring to stand on the left hand of the escalator.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So are motion-detecting lights approved or not? Do you perform "work" by walking into a room and causing the light to turn on?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

mobby_6kl posted:

So are motion-detecting lights approved or not? Do you perform "work" by walking into a room and causing the light to turn on?

Start here:

Rav Elyashiv Knohl in Techumin 23 pp. 278-286

Then:
Tossafot, Tractate Shabbat 47b s.v. Mipnei.

You might then want to compare:
Techumin 23 pp. 277

Oh and:
Shulchan Aruch OC 334:22

That should give you a warmup to enter the discussion.

But generally, yes, motion sensors are not kosher because they are 'aino mitkaven' meaning you intend the forbidden outcome of lights turning on. So, if you don't know the room is motion sensor equipped, you're okay with a little atonement for good measure, but if you know the room has motion sensor lights you're violating the law. It's acceptable to have someone else enter the room though and then enter after them, but you cannot stay longer than the length of the motion sensor automatic shutoff because then you will be doing work that keeps the lights on.

pathetic little tramp has a new favorite as of 17:55 on Apr 15, 2015

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I would think a motion sensor would be okay as long as it if incorrectly turns off the light you don't wave your arms or whatever.

I'm gonna make a million by hooking up Kinects to light switches.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
One of my favorites is the Shabbat lamp. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbat_lamp

You can't turn on a light? Just leave it on all day and leave it covered most of them time!

Game, Set, Match, HaShem!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

pathetic little tramp posted:

That should give you a warmup to enter the discussion.

But generally, yes, motion sensors are not kosher because they are 'aino mitkaven' meaning you intend the forbidden outcome of lights turning on. So, if you don't know the room is motion sensor equipped, you're okay with a little atonement for good measure, but if you know the room has motion sensor lights you're violating the law. It's acceptable to have someone else enter the room though and then enter after them, but you cannot stay longer than the length of the motion sensor automatic shutoff because then you will be doing work that keeps the lights on.

Oh man, that's amazing. My :spergin: tendencies would make this by far the favorite religion, if I were religious that is.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
It feels like someone, somewhere along the line, forgot what the words "work" and "rest" meant, and decided that all things that result in something useful happening were work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GigaPeon posted:

One of my favorites is the Shabbat lamp. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbat_lamp

You can't turn on a light? Just leave it on all day and leave it covered most of them time!

Game, Set, Match, HaShem!

You're not allowed to turn a light on or off but you are allowed to move the light in and out of cover or just open or close blinds for that matter?

None of this poo poo makes any sense.

Also :argh: at religion requiring you to leave the power on all day. What about the environment, Yahweh!?

Cheez posted:

It feels like someone, somewhere along the line, forgot what the words "work" and "rest" meant, and decided that all things that result in something useful happening were work.

More that religious decrees that sound pretty simple end up having unforseen consequences or ambiguous interpretations. The really orthodox followers are generally going to err on the side of caution, so the rules just slowly shift towards being more and more ridiculous.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cheez posted:

They didn't forget it, it's been decided by literally thousands of years of arguing.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

stillvisions posted:

My concern is what happens with someone forgets to set the Shabbat switch in advance; I'm gonna start a Kickstarter for the Kosher-Kosherswitch-Switch to fix that problem.

Hey, you're going to kill the Shabbat goy economy! :argh:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Now I wonder if the Six Day War was only six days because if they went one more day they'd have to stop fighting.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Selling bad RPG Maker quality games hasn't stopped Kemco from making GBS threads out a ton of mobile games, or that studio that made FFD and the :effort: ports of FF5 and FF6.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hypercapital/hypercapital-experiment-testnet-apis

ahahaha

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

Time works the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Now I wonder if the Six Day War was only six days because if they went one more day they'd have to stop fighting.

The army has only just started drafting Orthodox Jews.