Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Isn't it true that if you took a run-of-the-mill pink pig and let it loose in the wild that it will become feral in a frighteningly short amount of time? That they even grow back their tusks as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

bean_shadow posted:

Isn't it true that if you took a run-of-the-mill pink pig and let it loose in the wild that it will become feral in a frighteningly short amount of time? That they even grow back their tusks as well?

It's essentially true. Some won't change all that much outside of behavior because a lot of it is hormonal but they very quickly adjust to their new living situation and everything that goes with it, usually.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
I always thought it would be cool to own a small pig farm for whenever you need to dispose of about 100 to 200 pounds of meat super fast

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Then you end up like Gary Oldman in that one movie and nobody ever finds a trace of you

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGsQ2gPzAf4

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton

quote:

By 1992, Robert William Pickton and his brother David owned a Port Coquitlam farm. Worker Bill Hiscox called it a "creepy-looking place", noting that it was patrolled by a 600-lb. (270 kg) boar, one of the few actual pigs on the farm. "I never saw a pig like that, who would chase you and bite at you," he said. "It was running out with the dogs around the property." He later described Pickton as a "pretty quiet guy, hard to strike up a conversation with," whose occasionally bizarre behavior, despite no evidence of substance abuse, would draw attention. Pickton's only vehicle was a converted bus, with deeply tinted windows, to which he was emotionally attached.

The Pickton brothers gradually neglected the site's farming operations. They registered a non-profit charity, the Piggy Palace Good Times Society, with the Canadian government in 1996 as aiming to "organize, co-ordinate, manage and operate special events, functions, dances, shows and exhibitions on behalf of service organizations, sports organizations and other worthy groups." Its events included raves and wild parties featuring Vancouver prostitutes and gatherings in a converted slaughterhouse. These events attracted as many as 2,000 people. Hell's Angel members were known to often frequent the farm.

quote:

Forensic analysis proved difficult because the bodies may have been left to decompose or be eaten by insects and pigs on the farm. During the early days of the excavations, forensic anthropologists brought in heavy equipment, including two 50-foot (15-meter) flat conveyor belts and soil sifters to find traces of remains. On March 10, 2004, it was revealed that Pickton may have ground up human flesh and mixed it with pork that he sold to the public; the province's health authority later issued a warning.[14][15][16][17] Another claim was made that he fed the bodies directly to his pigs.[18]

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
:stare:

quote:

A preliminary inquiry was held in 2003, the testimony from which was covered by a publication ban until 2010. At the inquiry, the fact that Pickton had been charged with attempted murder in connection with the stabbing of prostitute Wendy Lynn Eistetter in 1997 was revealed. Eistetter testified at the inquiry that after he had driven her to the Port Coquitlam farm and had sex with her, Pickton slapped a handcuff on her left hand and stabbed her in the abdomen. She stabbed Pickton in self defense. Later, both she and Pickton were treated at the same hospital, where staff used a key they found in Pickton's pocket to remove the handcuffs from the woman's wrist. The attempted-murder charge against Pickton was stayed on January 27, 1998, because the woman had drug addiction issues and prosecutors believed her too unstable for her testimony to help secure a conviction. The clothes and rubber boots Pickton had been wearing that evening were seized by police and left in an RCMP storage locker for more than seven years. Not until 2004 did lab testing show that the DNA of two missing women were on the items seized from Pickton in 1997.[19]

In 1998, according to Vancouver police detective constable Lori Shenher, Shenher learned of a call made to a police tip phoneline stating that Pickton should be investigated in the case of the disappearances. According to Shenher's account, described at length in her 2015 book about the case, she struggled to attract sufficient police resources and attention to the case until a 2002 search of Pickton's farm by the RCMP.[20]

In 1999, Canadian police had received a tip that Pickton had a freezer filled with human flesh on his farm. Although they interviewed Pickton and obtained his consent to a search of his farm, the police never conducted one.[21]
:gonk:

I mean, I'm sure the police receive lots of bogus reports, but drat. You'd figure 'abducted and stabbed a prostitute, called out by anonymous tips multiple times' would be enough of a pattern to at least look into the matter. And they didn't even charge him for the stabbing.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
the Vancouver PD are incompetent idiots when they aren't engaging in savage acts of police brutality

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Also surprising was the apparent lack of sufficient evidence for first-degree murder charges. A quick googling of the gist of Canadian murder law seems to suggest that the standard of evidence was high enough that the jury was not certain that the six cases presented to them met the standard of 'planned and deliberate', 'while committing sexual assault', or 'during kidnapping and forcible confinement'. Therefor they were, by the standard, all second-degree murders. It's just sort of...bothersome that a string of at least six murders, with the gruesome and deliberate details that are known, out of multiple suspected dozens, wasn't enough to build a case beyond a reasonable doubt that the murders were deliberate and planned.

E: Oh cool, and then the police released a transcript to news agency where they had failed to censor the real name of an undercover agent in several places. WHOOPS.

Shady Amish Terror has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Jan 3, 2017

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

pookel posted:

Also mentioned in the text on earlier studies, but I couldn't find in the list, were fatal attacks by a Westie, by a Yorkie, and by a cocker spaniel. I have no idea how this is possible. Newborns, maybe?
Most likely. There was a case in the UK a few years ago where a family owned a Jack Russel that was by all accounts a placid, well-behaved, unaggressive little thing, right up to the moment when it crushed their newborn's skull.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

How many babies have cats killed though

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

purple death ray posted:

How many babies have cats killed though

Millions. They steal a baby's breathe, after all.

fitzpenguin
Nov 17, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

I have to wonder if the coyotes in the park had gotten used to being around people from scavenging. Pets in my neighborhood have been killed, people have been approached by aggressive coyotes, and at least one person was attacked. According to our mailman, there's an elderly couple in the area who think they're just cute wild dogs and are feeding them, so they're not afraid of people.

In Eastern Coyotes are often a coyote/ wolf hybrid that run a little larger than Western ones.

Coywolf - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coywolf

Here is a documentary on coywolves from the CBC/PBS that mentions the Taylor Mitchell attack and their spread to urban areas.

For Canadians:
http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/m/episodes/meet-the-coywolf

For Americans:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/coywolf-meet-the-coywolf/8605/

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Millions. They steal a baby's breathe, after all.

FALSE. It is in fact cat's who stop the majority of breath stealing, which is done by goblins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdY-r6eQTlQ

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
On the one hand I feel a bit sorry for coyotes in Vancouver because of all the developments around here pushing them off land perfect for them (and I still find it fun watching coyotes roam around golf courses here) but then again seeing a bunch of missing pets posters in certain neighbourhoods and I feel a bit conflicted about coyotes.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
if you put your pet in a position where it can be eaten by wild animals you are a bad pet owner

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
People who move to an area with wild animals and then complain when those animals eat their pets is always funny to me. What did they think would happen to their little puff ball? If you don't want your pet to be eaten then get a Pyrenees or Kangal.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

the Vancouver PD are incompetent idiots when they aren't engaging in savage acts of police brutality

If it doesn't involved beating up minorities, they aren't interested

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That Lonely Section of Hell, by Lori Shenher, is a pretty good book by one of the cops involved in the case.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Reading up on coyotes a little bit the other week, it's pretty unnerving:

a) how often those little fuckers bite people
b) how *close* to people they get, often without people realizing it.

If you're in the right kind of terrain, you might be only feet away from a nasty little carnivore with no compunctions about taking a nibble on you to see what happens.

The Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_attacks_on_humans is mostly about coyotes either trying to drag children away, or sneaky poo poo like this:

Coyotes are dicks.

Kinda wonder if this is happening because so many people "ag" their land for tax purposes. Huge swaths of texas get 10 cows dumped on it and hardly ever check on them, making this a pretty effective strategy i would imagine for taking down cows. If a coyote gets used to doing that, a person asleep isnt really going to scare it i wouldnt think.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

DogonCrook posted:

Kinda wonder if this is happening because so many people "ag" their land for tax purposes. Huge swaths of texas get 10 cows dumped on it and hardly ever check on them, making this a pretty effective strategy i would imagine for taking down cows. If a coyote gets used to doing that, a person asleep isnt really going to scare it i wouldnt think.

Never heard of coyotes killing a grown cow, but if there are problems with coyotes in your field you can always put a donkey in there. Donkeys gently caress coyotes up.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i dont know about coyotes specifically but llamas are more than willing to kick the everloving poo poo out of predators and you can bond em with herds of other animals iirc

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Or just train bigger coyotes to fight the smaller ones and protect a herd.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Solice Kirsk posted:

Or just train bigger coyotes to fight the smaller ones and protect a herd.

those are called dogs

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:monocle:

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

Never heard of coyotes killing a grown cow, but if there are problems with coyotes in your field you can always put a donkey in there. Donkeys gently caress coyotes up.

I havent either but im not sure anybody would know if it does occasionally happen. Biting something and then following it seems like a strategy to weaken something big or seperate it from the herd. They will definetly go after large sheep and calfs. I dont know a lot about them, but ive never heard of them attacking this way.

Ive worked on donkeys before floating their teeth and they scare the poo poo out of me. Those assholes can nail you from pretty much any angle and they can gently caress right off with that. Donkeys are not the answer to any problem because then you have a donkey to deal with.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The rule at the zoo I worked at for doing work in the coyote pen was to always go in pairs with you watching each others backs. The lion and tiger dens had very thick yellow lines on the floors. Those were the reach lines, if you crossed them, the animal could possibly grab you. In non-deadly news, the otters were always excited when we went into their enclosure and would come watch us. I'm sad the zoo got penguins after I left, those would've been fun.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Otters fight and kill caimans. They are not the fun loving water mice you take them for.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Otters fight and kill caimans. They are not the fun loving water mice you take them for.

Christ man, you ever been up close with a water mouse? Thing'll have your eye out in two seconds flat. They ain't no fancy schmancy ladybug that's for sure.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Related to the coyote killings: Dingos! Basically a small wolf with little to no fear of man! Technically an apex predator on a continent of deadly rear end in a top hat wildlife! Please do not feed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Azaria_Chamberlain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingo_attack

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

Elaborate. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm curious as to how and why donkeys would attack coyotes.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I'm curious as to how

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "with their back legs".

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Elaborate. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm curious as to how and why donkeys would attack coyotes.

HOW: kicking, biting and stomping
WHY: because coyotes would attack donkeys if they didn't

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc-jucsqVXM

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Donkeys are pretty territorial, and tend to kick first, ask questions later, and are very fast with their kicks.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

HOW: kicking, biting and stomping
WHY: because coyotes would attack donkeys if they didn't

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc-jucsqVXM

Probably should've expected as much. Never really imagined donkeys as aggressive animals, but then I'm a lifelong city boy.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

You know how when someone is just a tremendous fuckstick you call them an rear end? Like "that guy was acting like an rear end"? They weren't talking about your butt, they're talking about donkeys. gently caress donkeys.

Llamas are pretty cool though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ranbo das posted:

You know how when someone is just a tremendous fuckstick you call them an rear end? Like "that guy was acting like an rear end"? They weren't talking about your butt, they're talking about donkeys. gently caress donkeys.

How do donkeys compare to, say, camels?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

ranbo das posted:

Llamas are pretty cool though.

So that girl was calling me a "donkey hole?"
The hell does that even mean?!

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

How do donkeys compare to, say, camels?

I've never actually been around a camel so couldn't compare them personally, but they sound very similar in temperament.

I dunno but I heard there's some bars in Tijuana that might help you in figuring it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop