Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Bobby Digital posted:

:sever: for repeatedly saying appies

It was totally because she embarrassed him by being a 26yo calling it 'appies' in front of the waitress.

Edit: Inadvertent page snipe? Fine.

🎁⛄🎄APPIE XMAS SPECIAL!🎄⛄🎁 daddys 🤷‍♂️sleigh bells🔔 👂🎵 are ringing 😙😃 with his stocking FULL💯 🙈🙊 of appiez💦💦 ready👍😌 to climb down 👇my princess👑👠 chimney😲👈 before i pray🙏🛐 my xmas 🌟eve prayer👑⛪

Dear heavenly 😇father 🕇🛐🕇thank you😘 for providing 🤗 me with daddiez💜 appiez 💦💦 they are SO😥😣 tasty🍕🙃🙃 that i like to mix🍲 my egg🥚 nog 🙈🙊🙈to make noggy🥛🥂 appiez!🍼🍼 but! 😲 before 👈👈i could finish😣😏 my prayer 🛐✴ my daddy 🤠grabbed me by my princess👑👝 hair 😚👠👑 and said😶😯 you are on daddiez👮‍♂️ NAUGHTY👿👅 list📃😫 this year! 📅🗓️But ❗⚠️❗i know 😌 only naughty💋 princesses💍💐 get daddiez🕶️ appies⛽ 😂💦 he pulled out his giant😣😍✔️ xmass tree 🍆🎄🍆 and made me reach far😫 far🙄 up⬆️🔝 to kiss💋👄💄 the angel 😇😇 up top🍆🍄 but 😮it was all drippy 😰😋 with xmas appies!!💦💦 he said🗣️ i think🤔🤗 i need to unwrap🎀 my present now🎁🎀🎁 he pulled😗 down my pants 😶😋🙄 and saw😎👀 my little👌 pink wink🐷🍑🍑 and whispered🙊 😙 merry Christmas⛄🎁🎄 daddy☺ and then he filled😣😩 my stocking 😞😆😀with his very own ooy😰 gooy😰😰 appie nogg💦🍑🥛 and now⏰ my little😉 pinky🌸 is a warm🌋🤗christmas 🎄sticky💧 appiez 💦date 😍🍯🍮pie 😃💦💦 merry xmas to all my appie daddiez 🎄💦🎄

Dienes fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

girl pants posted:

My [26F] boyfriend [28M] and I got into an embarrassing argument(?) at a restaurant and it devolved into an awkward fight and (kind of) prejudiced name calling. How do I fix this?

Grownups don't split the bill? What

quote:

He ended up getting really mad, called me a r*tard and childish, and said that grown ups don’t split the bill, and they don’t offer to pay for anything unless they can pay for all of it (which I did anyways).

I’m with girl pants being dumbfounded at this bit. Splitting the bill was one of the most goddamn infuriating thing with groups I’d go out with for during conferences though it only happened at places that said ‘no separate checks’.

The bill would almost always come up either a few dollars short or with insufficient tip, then a debate would start over ‘did you add tax and gratuity?’ And you had your general suspects as to who was underpaying, and the protests would begin! ‘Jeff got the chicken, I only got a salad, why should we both have to add $2 more for tip when his was more expensive?!’

poo poo’s infuriating.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

I’m with girl pants being dumbfounded at this bit. Splitting the bill was one of the most goddamn infuriating thing with groups I’d go out with for during conferences though it only happened at places that said ‘no separate checks’.

The bill would almost always come up either a few dollars short or with insufficient tip, then a debate would start over ‘did you add tax and gratuity?’ And you had your general suspects as to who was underpaying, and the protests would begin! ‘Jeff got the chicken, I only got a salad, why should we both have to add $2 more for tip when his was more expensive?!’

poo poo’s infuriating.

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Bistromatics

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I don't really understand how adults get worked up over it either way, with the exception of broke rear end college students. Everyone I know just splits evenly and we occasional treat each other and there is reciprocity with that part. A few dollars is not worth fighting over if you are friends with someone, and it is also not worth taking advantage of a friend for.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Bobby Digital posted:

jesus loving christ how could you even say that and be OK with yourself afterward

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I kept reading the word as apples and assumed it was like baked apples or something? I can't even comprehend appies

Husband [30m] turns very violent when he plays videogames. Last night was the final straw, don't know what to do from here?

I am [25f] .Husband and I have three children (3,1, and 5 weeks). He has started to become very obsessed with video games, especially this one game called fortnite. He'll ignore everyone and play for hours and hours. Its like he turns into a completely different person when he's playing, screaming bloody murder throughout the whole house and scaring the hell out of the kids. Waking the baby. Whenever I try to tell him to keep it down he will scream at me to leave him alone. Frankly I don't like to be around him because the way he starts acting freaks me out. He'll always apologize after these outbursts, but then it'll happen again the same or next day.

Yesterday night was the breaking point for me. I put the kids to bed, and began nursing the newborn. He was playing the game in the living room. It was pretty quiet at first (other than the occasional yelling) then suddenly out of nowhere he began yelling. I heard something break. When I went downstairs, the TV was shattered on the ground. He was having a complete rage, parading around and throwing things around, cursing, yelling. It was terrifying. He didn't even seem to care that we were down there, seeing everything, almost hitting us. Over all the loudness I kept telling him to stop, to be quiet. When he wouldn't I went upstairs (the kids were up at this time), and started packing the kids' stuff. He tried to pull us back in the house, begging us not to leave, but we were pretty shaken up. We left, and went over my sisters house.

Haven't talked to him all morning. He's called and texted a few times, but I need some time to think. I really need him to stop getting so emotionally involved with these games. He broke a ton of stuff in our house, and I'm pretty sure our babies are afraid of him by now. I don't want to constantly have to feel like I'm walking on eggshells around him. I'm not sure how to handle this situation or what to even say to him when I decide to call him back? All of this stress I really don't need right now, the baby is draining everything out of me.

tl;dr: Husband rages and turns very violent when playing videogames, it scares the kids and I, and last night was the final straw. Not sure how to handle these problems

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If your partner does something which terrifies your children and refuses to stop - leave.

Hope this lady stays the hell away from her lunatic spouse and his increasingly violent outbursts.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
He plays Fortnite and is a grown man so clearly he has some sort of mental disorder to begin with.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
imagine having violent tantrums over video games when you're 30 years old lmao

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I kept reading the word as apples and assumed it was like baked apples or something? I can't even comprehend appies

Husband [30m] turns very violent when he plays videogames. Last night was the final straw, don't know what to do from here?

I am [25f] .Husband and I have three children (3,1, and 5 weeks). He has started to become very obsessed with video games, especially this one game called fortnite. He'll ignore everyone and play for hours and hours. Its like he turns into a completely different person when he's playing, screaming bloody murder throughout the whole house and scaring the hell out of the kids. Waking the baby. Whenever I try to tell him to keep it down he will scream at me to leave him alone. Frankly I don't like to be around him because the way he starts acting freaks me out. He'll always apologize after these outbursts, but then it'll happen again the same or next day.

Yesterday night was the breaking point for me. I put the kids to bed, and began nursing the newborn. He was playing the game in the living room. It was pretty quiet at first (other than the occasional yelling) then suddenly out of nowhere he began yelling. I heard something break. When I went downstairs, the TV was shattered on the ground. He was having a complete rage, parading around and throwing things around, cursing, yelling. It was terrifying. He didn't even seem to care that we were down there, seeing everything, almost hitting us. Over all the loudness I kept telling him to stop, to be quiet. When he wouldn't I went upstairs (the kids were up at this time), and started packing the kids' stuff. He tried to pull us back in the house, begging us not to leave, but we were pretty shaken up. We left, and went over my sisters house.

Haven't talked to him all morning. He's called and texted a few times, but I need some time to think. I really need him to stop getting so emotionally involved with these games. He broke a ton of stuff in our house, and I'm pretty sure our babies are afraid of him by now. I don't want to constantly have to feel like I'm walking on eggshells around him. I'm not sure how to handle this situation or what to even say to him when I decide to call him back? All of this stress I really don't need right now, the baby is draining everything out of me.

tl;dr: Husband rages and turns very violent when playing videogames, it scares the kids and I, and last night was the final straw. Not sure how to handle these problems

You go back and the next thing he'll hit is you or your children.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Admiral Ray posted:

You go back and the next thing he'll hit is you or your children.

Can you imagine this manchild's response if one of the kids spilled something on a controller left on a table, or played a match on his log-in and dropped his rank? Get out now, lady.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Keep your children well away from their father. This one is kind of “huh”.

Help me 45[M] have a better relationship with my daughter 24[F].

quote:

u/indian_dadthrow2
This might be lengthy. Me and my wife ,48 F, have 3 kids. One son and two daughters. I am an Indian and so is my wife. We met in US when I was 19. Our kids are 22[M], 23 [F] and 24[F]. My son got a full scholarship at a really great university for engineering. We give him a small allowance which is around 1k a month.(important later)

Now, I have worked really hard to make something of myself here. I have done 16 hour workdays , faced racism and name-calling. Today, we are quite well off. The thing is I am traditional. Still, I am close with my kids and friendly. My oldest daughter[Ramya]and my son are pretty westernized. While my youngest is more traditional. All 3 are pretty smart.

I have been against Ramya wearing revealing clothes but never stopped her because she argued she is an independent western girl/woman. She was not allowed to date before 16. She rebelled and started dating someone. She stopped going to temples and community activities. We relented every time she brought up western values of independence. My younger daughter followed whatever rules we set for her.

Now, I had been very clear from the beginning that if you want to embrace a culture. Embrace it wholly. Don't use them as excuses to do one thing citing one and the other citing another.

Ramya was accepted to med school last year. It was clear we will pay only 40% of her tution fees [150k] because she wanted to live as a westernized woman. All my kids knew our stance on this. If you follow the Indian culture, we will treat you like Indian parents including paying for college. If you follow the western one, we will treat you like a western one. Now, my younger has also gotten into med school. We are going to pay her full fees.

I love all 3 of them equally. They are free to crash in home anytime for any reason free of cost. When Ramya broke up with her live-in guy(never wanted her to move in with him at 19. We were okey with them meeting everyday. as long as she came home) ,we took her in. No questions asked. I have emergency funds for all 3. Around 50k for each.

Ramya is angry with us now that her sister is getting a free education. She is not talking to us. And is pretty passive aggressive. I have been a handsy parent so when she threatened to not visit us for a week(she has 4 weeks off), I cut her funding. She came to us. She is talking to everyone, except me. She is acting sulky. She cried yesterday. And is now on her phone doing god knows what.

The thing is I could pay for her remaining 225 k in fees but it has to come out of my retirement fund. Help me resolve this with her.

Tl;dr : Older daughter wants us to pay for her med school(already paying 40%) because we are paying the full cost for my younger. This was an arrangement everyone was aware of. Older daughter is unhappy. Help me sort it out with her.

Props to the younger sister for working out the system - get your parents to pay for it, and then do what the heck you want when you graduate.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Milotic posted:

Props to the younger sister for working out the system - get your parents to pay for it, and then do what the heck you want when you graduate.

Western parents don't pay for their children's college? I mean, not necessarily by rule, but that is definitely a thing that happens.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Med school is 375K???!!!

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Med school is 375K???!!!

About 90-100k per year for people starting this year. Tuition is about 60-70k of that the rest is living expenses as all schools forbid you to work if you're enrolled.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fruit on the bottom posted:

I just use “pal”

Now listen here, pal.

Good work, pal.

How’s it going, pal

Nice tits, pal.

I was really disappointed you weren't in the last game, you would have been great on the orca case.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Smirking_Serpent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guv5LUT1AFw

Smirking_Serpent posted:

if he's raging at fortnite so hard that he broke a TV, imagine what he'd do playing a game that's actually fun

seriously though lady get the gently caress out and never look back

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Med school is 375K???!!!

Hell yeah

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Med school is 375K???!!!

Yes.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Milotic posted:

I don't even know what he wants to resolve. He obviously doesn't have to pay for her education, but I'd be pretty miffed if my parents were that controlling.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

La Brea Carpet posted:

About 90-100k per year for people starting this year. Tuition is about 60-70k of that the rest is living expenses as all schools forbid you to work if you're enrolled.
That's insane, I would have figured 40-50K/year max and even that is absurd. Tution in the US is out of control.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Milotic posted:

Wait, I just realized: She went "I don't want to visit you for a week because you're playing favorites with the more traditional kids" and he said "Then fine, I won't pay anything", so she reluctantly visited him and he's SHOCKED that she's not loving it? That she's mad at him for it? What a prick.

Eezee posted:

I don't even know what he wants to resolve. He obviously doesn't have to pay for her education, but I'd be pretty miffed if my parents were that controlling.

He wants to force her to have a good relationship with him despite his controlling shittiness.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That's insane, I would have figured 40-50K/year max and even that is absurd. Tution in the US is out of control.

It is and it locks people in. Doctors are now also being paid less, because they can be, because they can't realistically change careers once they're licensed because of costs incurred.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Midnight Voyager posted:

Wait, I just realized: She went "I don't want to visit you for a week because you're playing favorites with the more traditional kids" and he said "Then fine, I won't pay anything", so she reluctantly visited him and he's SHOCKED that she's not loving it? That she's mad at him for it? What a prick.

He wants to force her to have a good relationship with him despite his controlling shittiness.

I dated a Palestinian girl from a traditional family for 7 years.

This is literally the same relationship she had with her dad, and after we broke up she finally broke coop but still relapses into that poo poo, and it's weird as gently caress and I'm glad I got out of it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Smirking_Serpent posted:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

therobit posted:

I don't really understand how adults get worked up over it either way, with the exception of broke rear end college students. Everyone I know just splits evenly and we occasional treat each other and there is reciprocity with that part. A few dollars is not worth fighting over if you are friends with someone, and it is also not worth taking advantage of a friend for.

We were broke-rear end college students at the time. Mostly everybody except two holdouts were fine with an even split (even if you were the one living high on the hog and ordered a soda, whereas some only got water).

Some people get worked up over an extra buck or two

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I know things are hard out there but I for one am thankful to be out of the "okay I paid $14 you paid $19" phase of restaurant-eating.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Bobby Digital posted:

I read that as "apples" because my mind refused to acknowledge it any other way

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I had a similar conversation with an (extremely crazy) former friend of mine who was also Indian and also constantly complained about her filthy rich controlling parents who paid for her grad school with a ton of conditions.

I sat her down and explained that if she wants to be free, her power is her presence in their lives and that she would need to pay her own way with scholarships or loans and deny them access to her life until they came around to her westernized life, which they might not. But if she wanted that sweet gravy train with all that sweet cash and tuition and rent and BMW, she needed to find the balance of what she could tolerate and keep strict boundaries about what she shared with her parents and how far she could push them since they would control her means of living.

Naturally she’s still driving the BMW and talking about how they ruined her life.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mocking Bird posted:

Naturally she’s still driving the BMW and talking about how they ruined her life.
Sounds about right

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

La Brea Carpet posted:

drat really? I started school in 2010 and it was 45k a year for tuition and most people considered my school to be on the high end. I got a couple of scholarships and graduated with almost exactly 200k in loan debt. A couple of female friends of mine worked during the preclinical years, despite the official no-no, slinging beers at a local hooters equivalent and came out even further ahead than me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I have a bunch of indian friends, including ones from the same extended family, and their relationships with their parents are strange. The expectations are higher by default for sure. It's hard for me to put myself in their position because my parents are cool with me making my own decisions 100% but I feel like, if they weren't and put me in that position, I'd be doing my best to grift them rather than actually following any rules.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Death to appies girl. Death to the boyfriend.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I have a bunch of indian friends, including ones from the same extended family, and their relationships with their parents are strange. The expectations are higher by default for sure. It's hard for me to put myself in their position because my parents are cool with me making my own decisions 100% but I feel like, if they weren't and put me in that position, I'd be doing my best to grift them rather than actually following any rules.

that's definitely how my ex's family worked

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Mocking Bird posted:

friend of mine

I sat her down and explained

i'd be a former friend too if you were condescending enough to ~~sit me down and explain~~ my life to me lol

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Goddamn it's not even like they're trying to marry her off to a stranger, just don't act and dress like a harlot and don't eat beef*

*My understanding of traditional Indian culture is tenuous at best.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I don't think she will not want to see me only once every few years. I have always favoured her with her mom, her life choices , her studies, etc. We are still very close, at least I would like to believe it.

I am not holding money over her. She gets 150k which I think is a lot. She can take loans and I will cosign it. I still have 50 k for her future. Money is not on the table. We were pretty open from the get go about choices and consequences.

If she wants to stop communicating over a few hundred grands, I won't stop her. She can do whatever she wants.

quote:

I have never treated her poorly. I have treated all three as going adults since they were 14. I have never said "Stop. Don't do this. Otherwise I won't give you money" or "Do this. Here is a dollar."

I made some rules for the house. They broke it. They were punished for something big like skipping school and hurling expletives. For minor things like staying out beyond midnight, till they informed me, I was liberal. And all this was discussed with them.over the years.

And whatever you think I love her. Maybe a little more than others.

FUCKIN REALLY NOW

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

i'd be a former friend too if you were condescending enough to ~~sit me down and explain~~ my life to me lol

How about “sat her down and explained” I couldn’t be her friend anymore if all she wanted to do was act psycho and blame it on her relationship with her toxic parents when called on her poo poo, and if she didn’t change something (whether that be her behavior or her relationship with them) she’d be alone as hell, which is what ended up happening

Sorry if that was unclear

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

"I have been a handsy parent so when she threatened to not visit us for a week(she has 4 weeks off), "

Does this mean violence,or intending to be a physical presence in raising her as oppose to loving off except birthdays and holidays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

value-brand cereal posted:

"I have been a handsy parent so when she threatened to not visit us for a week(she has 4 weeks off), "

Does this mean violence,or intending to be a physical presence in raising her as oppose to loving off except birthdays and holidays?

it probably means having your fingers in literally every part of her life from the time she wakes up to the time she goes to sleep, and then after that too, literally sacrificing your own sanity to make sure your kids live up to the perfect virgin ideal you created for them in your head 20-30 years ago