Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Re: lunch meats. Different OBs say different things. Mine said it wasn't worth heating the lunch meat as long as you got it fresh from a reputable place and it wasn't just sitting in your fridge for a week or something.

Listeria is in all kinds of weird things lately (Blue Bell ice cream, lol), and you can make yourself crazy trying to avoid every possible risk source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

I had lunch with my mom today, and she was insistent about special baby laundry detergent.

1) Is this actually necessary if I already get detergent that's perfume and dye free because my skin is a little bitch and scented detergents don't get along with my respiratory system?

2) If yes, are there any good brands that have little/no scent?

I had a preemie and used All Free & Clear because that's what we were using on our own clothes at the time. He didn't explode or anything and at 9 years old, still has skin attached to him. You don't need the special baby detergent.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I got special (powder) detergent for cloth diapers and it didn't wash out well and the lack of softener agent left everything rough af (no dryers here, we line dry.)
Then I gave up on the detergent and cloth diapers in general and life went on.

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite
Trishy, in Australia Unisom is known as Restavit. Also OTC but doesn't seem to have the same recognition for morning sickness here as it does in the US. I guess what I'm saying is don't tell the pharmacist you're pregnant but do check with your ob/ GP/ whoever you're seeing.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I've been tossing around the idea of cloth diapers, me and my siblings were so I know my mom can show me how but I'm also trying to really consider which does have less of an environmental impact. I know we're all pretty hosed anyway but I'm trying to be mindful. Does the amount of water used to wash cloth diapers compare to the affects of disposable in landfills, even if the disposables are the "green" variety that are semi-compostable and relatively low in harmful chemical content ?

cailleask
May 6, 2007

There's some reference to that here http://babydiaperservice.net/cloth-vs-disposables/ but it's a website for a cloth diaper laundering service so take it as you will.

We used them, but also sometimes used disposables for overnights or travelling or convenience.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Restavit is Unisom!? That's great.

Yeah I heated my deli meat a few times then I stopped. Listeria is scary but it's just as likely to be on veges as it is on deli meat, more likely even, and the places I buy sammiches roast their own meats for slicing. I agree that you can drive yourself mental with all the risks. Also Listeria is treatable if you get it - just don't ignore the symptoms like a lot of people do I guess. v:shobon:v

26 weeks today and holy poo poo the little dude had his feet pushing up on my right ribcage yesterday for the entire flight from DC to SFO. Killin' me pal.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Toriori posted:

I've been tossing around the idea of cloth diapers, me and my siblings were so I know my mom can show me how but I'm also trying to really consider which does have less of an environmental impact. I know we're all pretty hosed anyway but I'm trying to be mindful. Does the amount of water used to wash cloth diapers compare to the affects of disposable in landfills, even if the disposables are the "green" variety that are semi-compostable and relatively low in harmful chemical content ?

Supposedly the first disposable diaper that was ever made is still languishing intact in a landfill somewhere. But power consumption in washing nappies is the other consideration too, particularly if your country mostly sources energy from coal (thanks :australia:). Also what doesn't get mentioned much with cloth is that the bamboo fabrics that get used a lot are actually highly processed chemical-wise, since the bamboo essentially has to be atomized and treated with all kinds of things before being extruded like a synthetic fabric. If you were hell bent on a minimal ecological footprint you'd EC from birth though, so it just depends on where on the spectrum of giving-a-drat you sit.

We went with cloth to ostensibly save money in the long run, and to not generate a buttload of garbage--the former being more of a consideration than the latter, though the latter is handy too. Unfortunately if you get hooked on the cute prints or become somewhat of a hoarder (guilty) you may still end up spending a decent amount of money on them. I probably have enough materials to go without washing for a week, but that would generate probably 3-5 full 4.5hr cottons cycle loads in our washing machine to do in one hit :cry: We still use disposables when travelling just because I'm not dedicated enough to attempt to handwash poop in hotel sinks, or plunge them in a bucket (not unheard of, bizarrely). I find cloth much more robust in containing poosplosions than the leading brand disposables we use though.

The other can of worms to do with cloth is how best to actually get them clean. Like a lot of things to do with parenting, the evangelical fervour you'd discover with any possible permutation of opinion on the subject is rampant (and there'll be a fb group for each). So in short: if you like textiles/fabric/handicrafty things, love doing A LOT OF laundry/laundry science, at least a mild regard for landfill concerns but at least a mild disregard for ongoing increased energy consumption, enjoy collecting a type of baby paraphernalia, cloth diapering will be right up your alley! If you -want- to do it on the cheap you definitely can do that too (just buy a couple dozen flats and 3 covers and maybe a couple of snappis or a few pins, done), you don't have to buy into the cute prints and over-engineered ones. There's a huge secondhand market, and the ever reliable cheap but ethically dubious Chinese-made option.

It -is- hours more laundry work a week though. You'll be running a full load of just nappies at least once every 2-3 days, not including possibly rinsing/spraying them off as they come off the baby, which will need at least one decent hot wash (or wash in cold with your 'eco' detergent/soap nuts at your peril), and can take ages to dry if you live in a wet climate. If I was going to do it again knowing what I know now, I'd just go with prefolds in infant and toddler sizes (don't buy anything newborn sized, basically get the next-to-smallest and the largest size they make) and force myself to stick to the cheap Chinese covers and not get sucked into the rabbithole of overengineering poo/weecatching materials.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
If everyone just burned the used diapers they wouldn't sit at the dump for 500 years :downs:

Seriously though, thanks for the input folks. Now if I could only stop the constant sleep groaning...

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
We've been lucky enough to have my mother in law pay for a weekly cloth diaper service. We still dump solids before putting them in a pail but otherwise it's more than easy. We do disposables if we leave the house for the day and also overnight

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Home washers here only have cold water, that explains half my problems! :vince:

Most garbage here gets burned, that solves the other half of my problems.

Mmmm Pie
Jun 17, 2007
Me like pie
Got an ultrasound today at 32 weeks to see if my complete previa resolved, and yay, it moved out of the way!

I'm off the pelvic rest I've had to be on since week 20! :shlick:

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Hello again everyone,

Thank you for the kind words last time. I went to my GP who signed me off sick for 2 weeks, and gave me some Zofran which really helped with the vomiting and nausea. I spent my 2 weeks lying in bed and watching Youtube videos whilst crying and sleeping. I now feel a lot better and today was my first day back at work. I have eaten my own body weight in midget gems in the past days though.

Mmmm Pie, is pelvic rest what it sounds like?

Mmmm Pie
Jun 17, 2007
Me like pie
^Pretty much. They didn't say anything about complete pelvic rest so we still snuck in some happy fun times, just no penetration.

The only bummer now is I'm so big I get short of breath on my back, and I'm rather tender down there ><

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
Who are these people on week-by-week pregnancy websites who keep saying that at 35+ weeks the kicking is supposed to lessen in intensity, if not frequency? I need to murder them with the bruised remains of my ribcage.

I know I'm exaggerating, but I'm at week 36 and so, so done with this little guy deciding that the longest he can go without going into extreme rave mode is 2 hours, and usually more along the lines of 40 minutes. Yesterday he started at 4am and didn't stop for more than a couple of minutes at a time until noon. At least once he's external and crying there will be things I can do to potentially get him to stop.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010

At least once he's external and crying there will be things I can do to potentially get him to stop.

Hahahahahaha.... I'm so tired.

I've graduated out of this thread, but it's a postpartum question- anyone have experience with pelvic PT post-birth? How were the results for pain relief and how long did it take? After 3.5 months of daily pain I need improvement before returning to work.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
along with the above, is my period always going to be heavy now? i figured last month would be since my uterus was busy steam cleaning the carpets and painting the walls so it could be rented out again now that the previous tennant is gone, but this month is still way above my prepreggo norm.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

AA is for Quitters posted:

along with the above, is my period always going to be heavy now? i figured last month would be since my uterus was busy steam cleaning the carpets and painting the walls so it could be rented out again now that the previous tennant is gone, but this month is still way above my prepreggo norm.

I have no idea but this post made me smile so thank you :)

I'm also getting a regular kicking now (34 weeks) and in the last few days my mobility has gone to poo poo. I walked into town yesterday (2 miles round trip) and by the last 200 metres or so I had to bribe MYSELF with sweets to keep going, my belly and pelvis were so tight and sore I wondered whether I was actually in the early stages of labour. It feels a little better now but man, I'm used to just getting around and doing stuff without thinking too hard about it, so it's pretty depressing. At least I know it won't be forever.
It'll be fun t

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

Eponymous Bosch posted:

Hahahahahaha.... I'm so tired.

I've graduated out of this thread, but it's a postpartum question- anyone have experience with pelvic PT post-birth? How were the results for pain relief and how long did it take? After 3.5 months of daily pain I need improvement before returning to work.

My referral to the pelvic floor physiotherapist was initially for a 'make sure everything is ok so that I can lift weights again'! I didn't think it'd be much of anything, I was feeling ok without any real symptoms bothering me, and was expecting to be given the go ahead to do whatever. Instead it turned into a rather ongoing involved journey of 1)finding out I had "anterior/posterior wall laxity" read: PROLAPSE :cry:, though mild and hence minimal symptoms, 2)being fitted for a pelvic floor pessary to protect against any more damage for the interim, and 3)finding out that the one instance of pain I actually remember from the birth and thought was crowning pain?--it was an avulsion tear of one of my pelvic floor muscles. Yupp. Fun.

So in short, even if you think you're ok? Go and get assessed by a qualified pelvic floor physiotherapist before you do anything strenuous, and make sure they do an internal exam with varied maneuvers, also standing up/sitting up if they can't see anything happening lying down. Prolapse can hide pretty easily lying down. If you catch early grade prolapse you can do a lot of things to protect from future damage, or if you have symptoms you don't quite know how to explain down there--it may be due to prolapse. Things like gaping of the vaginal entry, a sensation like a tampon rubbing/falling out, unexplained pelvic pain or pain during intercourse, trouble going to the loo for either ones/twos, bladder leakage, any odd lumps you never noticed before etc. It would depend on the gp as to whether or not they'd be cluey enough to check for pelvic organ prolapse at your 6 week check, mine wasn't cluey enough.

In terms of pain, I dunno exactly since I don't even have ongoing pain, but they do do electrostimulation therapy of the pelvic floor muscles, or biofeedback measuring of your pelvic floor muscles, which might help diagnose why you're getting pain? I've heard from other POPS group members that some things that seem to lead to pain are pelvic floor muscles that are too tight, so they had to actually do therapy to learn how to release/relax them. There's also another kind of therapy for electro stimulating the pelvic floor muscles that doesn't involve an internal probe, you sit in this magic chair that uses ?EM pulses to induce the current.

If you're skeptical, bear in mind in France 10-20 sessions with a pelvic floor physio is standard practice post partum. And it's paid for by their government. You can even get some of the pelvic floor e-stim paraphernalia via prescription, paid for. /pelvic floor psa

ucmallory
Jun 23, 2005

nyerf posted:

read: PROLAPSE :cry:, though mild and hence minimal symptoms,

Would you mind sharing what your mild/minimal symptoms were? Were they the same for you as what you listed later in your post (gaping, unexplained pelvic pain, etc)? My doctor just referred me last week to a PPT for a "dropped bladder" and when I read online that = prolapse I freaked a little. I haven't been leaking or anything, but I've had some other weird symptoms I was just chocking up to normal postpartum body weirdness. Turns out, evidently, nope. Like you said, you can think you're okay and not be, evidently. They haven't called to schedule my referral appointment yet, but I'm interested in how it will go.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

I only notice it physically if I'm not wearing my pessary, and even then only very vaguely- like feeling chafing of a tampon string. I didn't even notice it before I went to the physio and got the pessary, I suppose partly because my whole body feels so different post partum that I was chalking it up to something I had to get used to? I didn't even have a good look with a mirror until after my first appointment and was like :cry: that is not what it looked like before! :smith: Then I started looking into it and really started to panic :smithicide:

The pop support group on fb is very good though, reading on there I realised cosmetic changes is the far far mild end of the spectrum. And being newly postpartum and breastfeeding can mean that things are still looking worse than they will eventually be-- you have to give it 12 months plus to really start worrying. And there's been some research showing wearing a pessary regularly for a year can actually help reduce the grade of laxity.

So from what I understand a grade 1 is just bulging of the vaginal walls, either anterior (your bladder, although some of the women talk about urethroceles causing the same bulge except lower) or posterior (your rectum). Grade 2 is the bulging being bad enough to reach the vaginal opening but not actually coming out of your body. There's some overlap between these two depending on time of day/pelvic pressure maneuvers etc. Grade 3 the bulges exit your body but can retract/be pushed back. Grade 4 is permanently outside the opening. Rectoceles (posterior wall bulging/prolapse) can make it really hard to poop because they form a sort of cul-de-sac for the stool, cystoceles can lead to retained urine and frequent bladder infections or leakage post peeing, though the whole topic of functionality and prolapse is a bit more complicated than what I've said here I think. I did see somewhere that you can still have normal bowel/bladder function even with milder grades of prolapse so it might be a somewhat separate issue. Function vs structure as it were.

If you can see bulging widening the opening you might have a grade 1-2, I think properly the physios do the grading based on strain maneuvers, and urogynaecologists do it slightly different again. But that's a general idea anyway.

Edit: I haven't even mentioned uterine prolapse or bowel (enterocele), they're a different kettle of fish. With uterine prolapse it can run the gamut from low cervix to the whole uterus being outside your body :cry: I hear enterocele is difficult to diagnose, seems to be more a post hysterectomy thing.

nyerf fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 22, 2016

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Can't believe I have my 12 week ultrasound tomorrow. I'm excited but so scared still. Is there ever a point in pregnancy where you just aren't afraid of things going wrong and the baby having issues with development?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
No.

And then that anxiety just manifests into being afraid of SIDS or falling down the stairs or illnesses or whatever as they get older. You at least you have more control over the situation when they're out of the womb. Welcome to parenthood. :)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Rondette posted:

I walked into town yesterday (2 miles round trip) and by the last 200 metres or so I had to bribe MYSELF with sweets to keep going, my belly and pelvis were so tight and sore I wondered whether I was actually in the early stages of labour.

This happened to me and it *was* early labor. Take a break, don't force yourself.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

This happened to me and it *was* early labor. Take a break, don't force yourself.

Yeah, that's the last time I'll be walking into town for a while although I hate not being at least a bit mobile. :(

I've been busy preparing the nursery for impending babbio (5 weeks!!)- we've (well- I've - partner just lets me get on with whatever crazy poo poo I like really) gone for a space theme and I might have gone a bit crazy on it....so I am going to share some pictures if that's ok. I'm not quite finished yet but sod it.

The moon in the top middle-ish of the picture is a light, it's remote controlled and you can set it to any of the phases, it gives out a proper Moonlighty light too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uncle-Milton-Moon-Illuminated-Decoration/dp/B000EUHKUE

I'm going to draw some little space critters and stick them on the wall too.

I understand most of this is for my amusement and he'll be way too small to understand it but boy I've had fun putting it together. I made the planet mobile as well from polystyrene balls.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Rondette posted:

The moon in the top middle-ish of the picture is a light, it's remote controlled and you can set it to any of the phases, it gives out a proper Moonlighty light too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uncle-Milton-Moon-Illuminated-Decoration/dp/B000EUHKUE

:aaaaa:

I'm so stealing this idea!

Our house sale went through! So happy! Now I can paint my nursery! (Subject to 12 week scan being OK).

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
Someone please tell me it's normal to feel suddenly and completely overwhelmed when you're at the stage of "due in less than a month, still managing work responsibilities (and covering for your boss, who is on vacation), and just realized you have a ton of poo poo to do before going into labor."

My mother texted to scold me about not yet sending a thank-you note to relatives I haven't seen in over a year for an unsolicited gift they sent me last week. I ended up giving her a full and detailed list of why I currently feel like poo poo and all the things I have to do, and then crying for half an hour.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010

Someone please tell me it's normal to feel suddenly and completely overwhelmed when you're at the stage of "due in less than a month, still managing work responsibilities (and covering for your boss, who is on vacation), and just realized you have a ton of poo poo to do before going into labor."

My mother texted to scold me about not yet sending a thank-you note to relatives I haven't seen in over a year for an unsolicited gift they sent me last week. I ended up giving her a full and detailed list of why I currently feel like poo poo and all the things I have to do, and then crying for half an hour.

Totally normal! Especially with work and getting scolded by family for forgetting something (even moreso when they blame pregnancy brain). It will get worse before it gets better, because you'll roll 'am I in labor?' or 'why hasn't the baby come yet?' into all the stress.

Just let yourself cry and then make sure your partner is handling as much of the daily load as possible. Also, be kind to yourself and I know it's asinine but get as much rest as you can.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Eponymous Bosch posted:

Totally normal! Especially with work and getting scolded by family for forgetting something (even moreso when they blame pregnancy brain). It will get worse before it gets better, because you'll roll 'am I in labor?' or 'why hasn't the baby come yet?' into all the stress.

Just let yourself cry and then make sure your partner is handling as much of the daily load as possible. Also, be kind to yourself and I know it's asinine but get as much rest as you can.

Yeah part of the reason I don't have more done is I keep spending most of my non-work time on naps. I keep going "Oh, it's the weekend; I'll do that pre-registration form for the hospital, wash and put away the baby clothes, and be a good person/thank my aunt for the car seat", and then I end up falling asleep because I'm exhausted.

Edit: Also some things are happening that apparently may or may not mean labor could happen in the near future so :derp:

ArmadilloConspiracy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 25, 2016

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
How long did everyone wait to start decorating the nursery? I think we're going to paint this coming weekend but I'm just so excited to buy stuff and get it just how I want.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Toriori posted:

How long did everyone wait to start decorating the nursery? I think we're going to paint this coming weekend but I'm just so excited to buy stuff and get it just how I want.

I posted mine a few posts ago, we started around 20 weeks or so, once we knew the gender and that everything was looking ok. I've pootled away on it since then and it's been nice to gently work on it when I feel up to it and had the time, without too much pressure. I've had a blast doing ours, from finding bargain furniture on Ebay to working out the theme and finding bits to match. We've also inherited the family crib which has housed most of my mother's side of the family at one point, from me, my sister, nieces and cousins, mother , aunt, uncle and even my grandma. It's nice to be a part of that line now. :unsmith:

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
We started at about 24 weeks I guess, like Rondette we just wanted to make sure everything was as okay as it could be. We just finished painting on the weekend. It was an infuriating process, the guy who owned the house before us had someone paint who might have been the worst painter in history. Literally used scotch tape to do trim and just left it there, so it was all perished and brittle and hard to get off. Also he just did A Bad Job. And the house owner put up, no exaggeration, 38 picture hooks, some of which are just HUGE wood nails which pulled out a huge chunk of wall each time I pulled them out then I had to spackle endlessly. And the lines/trim were just super messy and bad, blotches and splotches everywhere, as well as drips on the wood floor. IT MADE ME SO MAD. But once we got going it was fine, I did most of it myself, my husband had very little tolerance (so he went and did other helpful things) and I rather enjoyed it. By the end of it I painted the trim without any tape or anything, I was getting really good. Pics!

The desks are built in, as well as the bookshelves on the other side. We're using one of the desks as a changing table - we're having a modular piece made that will bump up the height of the changing pad. The crib will go in the corner near the bottom left picture.

I also just ordered some bunting with the baby's name on it, which made things feel awfully real?!

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
I started cleaning out the nursery of accumulated junk around 34 weeks then decorated it a couple weeks after that.

Second child problems.

Mmmm Pie
Jun 17, 2007
Me like pie
^First child, and I'm doing the same drat thing.
Part of the issue is my house is pretty small and there was only 1 very tiny little shed, no other outbuildings in which to store stuff like golf clubs and camping gear and tools and whatnot. Hubby finally finished the pre-fab shed that's been sitting in a box in the driveway for the better part of a year this weekend, we got some storage solutions picked up and now I'm getting stuff out the door. I have the furniture I need, I just need to finish cleaning and setting up, and mebbe get some decorations.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

I'm the worst parent, we use a chest of drawers as a change table and she sleeps in our bed so no nursery and any paraphernalia that goes with it. We haven't even decided if she's going to get her own bedroom before she's toilet trained yet.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was just excited to have an excuse to paint a room in a bugshit crazy way :downs:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We all just sleep in one room and change diapers on the floor :toot: But I'm glad our new place has a room for toys away from the living room.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm a bit extra then because I'm planning on painting this weekend.:blush:

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

nyerf posted:

I'm the worst parent, we use a chest of drawers as a change table and she sleeps in our bed so no nursery and any paraphernalia that goes with it. We haven't even decided if she's going to get her own bedroom before she's toilet trained yet.

We're planning to be similar/possibly worse. We got a co-sleeper bassinet, and our "changing table" is going to be one of those peanut changing pads on top of a dog crate in the room adjoining ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
puppy pads. seriously. they let you turn any flat surface into a changing table and are way cheaper than anything designed for babies.