Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

L_E_E posted:

Serious question, is Supernatural mysoginist? I've never watched an episode.

I've watched the whole series so far and I didn't really get that impression much. Beyond I guess the joke that Pick found, which isn't really typical for the show.

It is best to stay away from the obsessive fandom though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

I feel you. I have the worst, white trashiest name ever because my parents were from Riverside and somehow thought the nauseously low-class name they gave me was acceptable. It's like they wanted me to end up living in a trailer park

(it's Starlyn, ughhhhh)

lmfao

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Donkay NOoo posted:

I got made fun of for my name a lot growing up and it bothered me until I realized all the names were pretty :black101: like Genghis or Kublai (I just told my name on the internet I'm dead)

It's Jaghatai Khan isn't it?

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Pick posted:

there was more discussion of lemongrab than you would think

what

like romantic discussion because if so ugh

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Portals posted:

what

like romantic discussion because if so ugh

lemon was an old school fanfic term to denote explicit sex, grab as in grab a dick, work it out son

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pick posted:

lemon was an old school fanfic term to denote explicit sex, grab as in grab a dick, work it out son

UNACCEPTABLLLLLLLLE

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

somewhere there is a woman in hair curlers chain smoking and pounding keystone lites outside of a trailer and her name is something normal like jennifer or marissa when i should have her name and she should be named starlyn

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pick posted:

He's killing the Whore of Babylon and making a general crack about murdering prostitutes.

Man gently caress that show.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pick posted:

I thought it was because it's the opposite of Lemon drop.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

So, so many times. I usually shop at thrift stores though, so it doesn't hurt my wallet too badly and I can always re-donate them. I don't know why I thought I would ever wear a shiny snakeskin print raincoat or wrestling boots, though.

If the shoes are leather, a little bit of time, a pair of thick socks and a hairdryer might help them fit a little better.

It wasn't leather. I have 2 other pair of shoes I'm going to give away. One is a tad big I have to insert tissues to make it fit. I bought it because I needed a simple heeled work shoes. My size was not available and I thought since I wear thick stockings to work almost everyday, that it won't be a problem wearing it. The other one is a sexy 2.5 inch heeled shoes that I bought for a cocktail party that is just toruture to wear for even just a minute. I was okay with it when I was at the shop. Then when I wore it for the party, it tried to kill me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

boom boom boom posted:

I thought it was because it's the opposite of Lemon drop.

your common sense is not welcome

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

somewhere there is a woman in hair curlers chain smoking and pounding keystone lites outside of a trailer and her name is something normal like jennifer or marissa when i should have her name and she should be named starlyn

neither jennifer nor marissa are normal names

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

a travelling HEGEL posted:

they seem normal to me the way mcdonald's seems like amazing food to starving african children

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Pick posted:

gently caress, that term was buried way back in my head from when I was fourteen and went on tvtropes all the time

where are you from that these are not normal names

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

they seem normal to me the way mcdonald's seems like amazing food to starving african children
acceptable names include: margaret, ellen, sophia, zoe, elizabeth, [insert saint here], [various long spanish crap]

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

It's Jaghatai Khan isn't it?

you are not far off

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

They are to me. I've met so many Jennifer and Marissa. Jennifer, especially. Chinese people seem to really like the name Jennifer or Jenny.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Portals posted:

the american southwest

marissa is spanishoid but kind of trashy, jennifer was new and trendy when we were kids and is now too reminiscent of white chicks with puffy bangs. it's not even a saint

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
If I ever have a kid I'm gonna name him Rumplestiltskin

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

what's great is having a name that everyone spells totally wrong (and their spelling would change the pronunciation of the name so apparently people just mishear me)

Portals fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 16, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Portals posted:

post-1978

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

If I ever have a kid I'm gonna name him Rumplestiltskin

dont name your kid penis

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

I feel bad for the kid who has 3 first names and each name is at least 3 syllables long. I know someone like that. Her nickname is of course just a syllable and 4 letters.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I was going to be either Aurora or Ariel before my parents decided on my actual name. My dad wanted to name me Galadriel, because he's a super-cool guy. My mom put her foot down on LOTR names.

Turns out my actual name is a comic character from his youth, he neglected to tell my mom that, though.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
for baby girls i love eleanor (elly) and esther (effy) and for little boys i like henry (henny) and liam

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Pick posted:

I'm developing a Pick Facts section of my brain from this thread, all full of things I can never forget but never bring up in daily life.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

L_E_E posted:

I feel bad for the kid who has 3 first names and each name is at least 3 syllables long.
that's me, but then again :italy:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fruity Gordo posted:

for baby girls i love eleanor (elly) and esther (effy) and for little boys i like henry (henny) and liam

if i have a son i will name him after this guy, my boyfriend and i agreed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Thompson,_Jr.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Filling out official forms of the one-letter-per-box style must be fun.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

Did they force you to write all your names during writing lessons? Did you have enough space in your paper?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

L_E_E posted:

Did they force you to write all your names during writing lessons? Did you have enough space in your paper?
they did not, so yes i did

Enfys posted:

Filling out official forms of the one-letter-per-box style must be fun.
my passport owns

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
I want to marry a Smith or Jones because SO tired of spelling out multisyllabic many lettered last name and making the same corrections every time. No there is not even remotely a Z in there how did you even hear a Z.

I'm at a total dead end for the Russian side of the family, geneaology-wise. Cyrillic is hard, makes brain hurt. I've tried researching US census forms and F/V/W all seem to be interchangeable letters depending on the individual census taker's mood and personal level of literacy/ability to parse accents.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

So, so many times. I usually shop at thrift stores though, so it doesn't hurt my wallet too badly and I can always re-donate them. I don't know why I thought I would ever wear a shiny snakeskin print raincoat or wrestling boots, though.

If the shoes are leather, a little bit of time, a pair of thick socks and a hairdryer might help them fit a little better.

What about a shoe tree/stretcher?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Crow Jane posted:

I was going to be either Aurora or Ariel before my parents decided on my actual name. My dad wanted to name me Galadriel, because he's a super-cool guy. My mom put her foot down on LOTR names.

Turns out my actual name is a comic character from his youth, he neglected to tell my mom that, though.

My kids have LOTR names.

quote:

it's me. except they're canned chu-his. Grapefruit flavor.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Thora posted:

I want to marry a Smith or Jones because SO tired of spelling out multisyllabic many lettered last name and making the same corrections every time. No there is not even remotely a Z in there how did you even hear a Z.

I took my husband's name not because I was bowing to convention but because I was sick of my Canuck last name being tortured by people. My last name now has 5 letters, one syllable, and the last letter is redundant and therefore silent.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Marvel got the rights to Miracleman and now they're reprinting it as a monthly series. If any of y'all like comics, you really need to pick it up. It's basically the best comic.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Eva and Bridget are the best girls names deal with it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Enfys posted:

I'm developing a Pick Facts section of my brain from this thread, all full of things I can never forget but never bring up in daily life.

:tipshat:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

bathroom sounds posted:

Eva's nice. My grandma had a really gross morbidly obese beagle named Bridget though, that name always makes me gag a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

bathroom sounds posted:

Don't name kids after animes and video games.

• Locked thread