Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Have you heard of Dashlane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Klungar posted:

Before I spend $5 on Overcast, is there a better podcast app out there?

Podcast.apple.exe it's actually insanely good now.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Klungar posted:

No. Pocket Casts is good though if you don't want to give Marco Arment money.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Cozmosis posted:

No. Pocket Casts is good though if you don't want to give Marco Arment money.

But giving money to people who make good apps is a cool thing to do.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I embarrassed myself at the grocery store just now by scanning my phone (the checkout kiosk had the NFC logo) and the clerk told me it didn't accept Apple Pay as I was waving my phone like a dumbass. :saddowns:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Michael Scott posted:

Have you heard of Dashlane?

I don't know the first thing about podcasts, I just started listening to one on YouTube and figured I might as well listen to it in its natural form, seeing as the YouTube videos were a season behind the podcasts themselves. I just went with Overcast since it is the one they mentioned in the podcast a few times. What differentiates the various apps besides price?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Mattavist posted:

I don't really understand the point of Apple Pay since using it isn't any easier than just swiping a card through a reader. Maybe if you've got 12 cards and don't want to carry them all around?

But it IS easier. And more secure.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If nothing else I like having my Amex attached to Apple Pay so I get the swipe notifications. I wish my other cards would do that. Thanks to a swipe notification, I had a situation a couple months ago where I was able to about immediately find out that my credit card number had been compromised somewhere, and so I got the card killed right away.

The other cool thing about that is when the card companies reissue your card for fraud, at least some will automatically push your new card into Apple Pay right away, so you aren't totally without a card while the replacement's in the mail.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 5, 2015

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

with all this Apple Pay talk, friendly reminder that Discover is offering 10% cash back on all Apple Pay purchases through the end of the year.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I should sign up for a real credit card and build some bomb rear end credit

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

glassyalabolas posted:

with all this Apple Pay talk, friendly reminder that Discover is offering 10% cash back on all Apple Pay purchases through the end of the year.

They have promos going for new signups that give you a 2x multiplier on that as well .:homebrew:

Gettin so much $$$ back from my groceries for the rest of the year.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

fourwood posted:

But giving money to people who make good apps is a cool thing to do.

I know. Some people are very anti Marco however.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Klungar posted:

podcasts.app

No really it's good now.

So is maps.app, deal with it nerds :colbert:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 5, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm anti Marco. Bald cry baby rear end bitch

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's .ipa you philistines

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Overcast is great, the effects are good and useful and the syncing web client is cool

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
.ipa is the container .app is the app

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

So having never dropped let alone broken a phone before in my life, my 6S lasted 6 days before I smashed the screen. Obviously I thought I was invincible at the time when I bought the phone and didn't spring for AppleCare+. Does anyone know what a replacement will set me back (in the UK)? And whether Apple will try to replace the screen or the whole phone? The metal casing on the corner took the brunt of the impact and is pretty scuffed up too, ideally I'd like to not have to live with that for the life of the phone but obviously it's my fault.

Thing is just too drat slippery, guess I'm getting a case for the first time too..

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is there any back to "back up" the podcasts downloaded within Overcast? As in, archiving them into a podcasts folder on my desktop.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Froist posted:

So having never dropped let alone broken a phone before in my life, my 6S lasted 6 days before I smashed the screen. Obviously I thought I was invincible at the time when I bought the phone and didn't spring for AppleCare+. Does anyone know what a replacement will set me back (in the UK)? And whether Apple will try to replace the screen or the whole phone? The metal casing on the corner took the brunt of the impact and is pretty scuffed up too, ideally I'd like to not have to live with that for the life of the phone but obviously it's my fault.

Thing is just too drat slippery, guess I'm getting a case for the first time too..

you can bring it to an apple store and get it fixed within an hour for like 100-150 bucks american without applecare, no clue how much it is there

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

podcasts.app

No really it's good now.

So is maps.app, deal with it nerds :colbert:

Podcasts won't resume the thing that was last playing.
If it resumes at all, it starts playing something random. (Might be the newest podcast???)

It's pretty bad.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i use downcast and it works fine

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've spent the last 3 hours (exactly) catching up on a politics mega thread with Awful app while playing podcasts via Overcast in the background. Browsing is on WiFi at home and brightness is set to lowest with speaker volume around 30%.

Those 3 hours have drained my iPhone 6 from 100% to 51%. Is this expected for a year old device? It seems a bit much.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 5, 2015

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Josh Lyman posted:

I've spent the last 3 hours (exactly) catching up on a politics mega thread with Awful app while playing podcasts via Overcast in the background. Browsing is on WiFi at home and brightness is set to lowest with speaker volume around 30%.

Those 3 hours have drained my iPhone 6 from 100% to 51%. Is this expected for a year old device? It seems a bit much.

I'd say that is completely normal. 3 hours of screen on time while listening to music/podcasts. Standby times on iPhones are great but it can't do wonders while being used with a smallish battery of only 1800mah.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Froist posted:

In the US, some credit cards have a 60-90 Accidental replacement policy if you bought the phone entirely with the card. American Express does for example. Maybe if you used a credit card yours has something similar?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bronin posted:

I'd say that is completely normal. 3 hours of screen on time while listening to music/podcasts. Standby times on iPhones are great but it can't do wonders while being used with a smallish battery of only 1800mah.
Also Overcast is surprisingly resource heavy with smart speed since it's doing it in realtime.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Do the other podcast apps have the effects of Overcast? I have to be able to at least listen to stuff at 1.5x or I might go insane.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I use Downcast because I listen to a podcast you ave to login to download and the default app doesn't let you do that yet.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

you can bring it to an apple store and get it fixed within an hour for like 100-150 bucks american without applecare, no clue how much it is there

Yeah, it turned out to cost £79 which is pretty good in the grand scheme of things. They actually didn't have any 6S screens in yet, so I ended up getting a new phone for the price of the screen replacement.

Shame iCloud lost a bunch of my data in its backup, but it's not a bad outcome overall. Time to reluctantly look at cases..

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Endless Mike posted:

Also Overcast is surprisingly resource heavy with smart speed since it's doing it in realtime.

I thought it was done server-side, and that you are actually downloading a modified file? EDIT: I think I'm wrong about that actually.

I'm happy with Downcast. 1.5x speed, night-mode colour scheme, swipe controls, and custom start and end times for podcasts that have bumpers/ads in the same place every episode.

LampkinsMateSteve fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 5, 2015

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are there any skins for the iPhone 6S Plus that really give it a nice grip?

I've used a dbrand skin (3M Vinyl) and it looked nice but didn't add much grip at all. I'm thinking about those older Invisible Shield type skins (which aren't released for 6S Plus yet) or maybe something similar?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Klungar posted:

Do the other podcast apps have the effects of Overcast? I have to be able to at least listen to stuff at 1.5x or I might go insane.

Almost every podcast app allows you to listen to recordings at faster speeds. As far as I'm aware Overcast is the only one to do it variably throughout the recording.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

kitten smoothie posted:

The other cool thing about that is when the card companies reissue your card for fraud, at least some will automatically push your new card into Apple Pay right away, so you aren't totally without a card while the replacement's in the mail.

Apple Pay actually uses a completely different card number that happens to be linked to the same account, much like a second card you can get for a family member. When one card gets compromised, the others don't need to be replaced.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
In the UK at least where Apple Pay is still relatively new, it's a bit awkward occasionally having to convince the person at checkout that, yes, they do accept Apple Pay. It's not even that they don't know that it'll work on any contact point, I've had cases where someone on checkout standing behind a sign attached to the machine saying "We now support Apple Pay!" with a big Apple Pay logo on the screen of the terminal insisting that they haven't got Apple Pay yet.

I think because we've had chip & pin for so long here that even contactless is almost never used, so a lot of retailers are still getting used to not needing a PIN code for stuff.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Question Mark Mound posted:

In the UK at least where Apple Pay is still relatively new, it's a bit awkward occasionally having to convince the person at checkout that, yes, they do accept Apple Pay. It's not even that they don't know that it'll work on any contact point, I've had cases where someone on checkout standing behind a sign attached to the machine saying "We now support Apple Pay!" with a big Apple Pay logo on the screen of the terminal insisting that they haven't got Apple Pay yet.

I think because we've had chip & pin for so long here that even contactless is almost never used, so a lot of retailers are still getting used to not needing a PIN code for stuff.
How is it different for the cashier though? Generally they just have to hit a CC/EFT button and then wait to see if it goes through. Kind of dumb that they would argue about it rather than just letting you attempt it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

coldplay chiptunes posted:

How is it different for the cashier though? Generally they just have to hit a CC/EFT button and then wait to see if it goes through. Kind of dumb that they would argue about it rather than just letting you attempt it.

I was wondering this myself. When I used Apple Pay at Walgreens the other day, the terminal had beeped "Approved" before the cashier had even looked up.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I'm guessing businesses here have done a really bad job of educating their staff that you just have to set it up as though it was any other contactless payment and it'll work fine. Though I've been in places where some of the staff didn't know how to set up a contactless payment on the terminal to begin with - to the point where one bartender handed me the terminal and asked me to show them how to do it. I'd never worked in a retail job though so I was as clueless as them.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Why would Facebook not show up in my list of apps under Settings>Privacy>Location services? I can see it's set to never in the Facebook app, so it's not a big deal, just confusing :confused:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Vinlaen posted:

Are there any skins for the iPhone 6S Plus that really give it a nice grip?

I've used a dbrand skin (3M Vinyl) and it looked nice but didn't add much grip at all. I'm thinking about those older Invisible Shield type skins (which aren't released for 6S Plus yet) or maybe something similar?

Apple leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Apple leather.

This is the answer to any case question for an iPhone.