Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wrestlepig posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/259750074/good-society-an-expanded-acquaintance?ref=7hfavt

Kickstarter for Good Society, the excellent Jane Austen rpg, to get two new expansions in print with the existing ones.

I had no idea that this existed, but now I must get it for my ex-wife. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hmmm, I am doing the Bloodborne thing, but drat these expansions aren't drawing me in at all as a casual fan of the IP. Looks like a lot of more of the same.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

djfooboo posted:

Hmmm, I am doing the Bloodborne thing, but drat these expansions aren't drawing me in at all as a casual fan of the IP. Looks like a lot of more of the same.

Same, I'm considering the Cainhurst one because it's one of the best areas of the game and comes with another PC, but most of them look pretty inessential unless you're really into one of the minis. Rom is pretty cool.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
Im picking up the Hunter's Dream and Cainhurst add ons. Hunter's Dream coming with the final bosses and a bunch of hunters is too much for me to pass up.

The final stretch goal being a box is so anticlimactic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm sure it was a technically good kit, but I thought it was pretty ugly and there are no games that I would use it in. I might find purpose for weird aliens though.

Yeah, that was my feeling on it. Without a game to use it in, I don't really need another tank model.

Weird infantry has more people who'll use it for other RPG stand-ins.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Cheeto-coloured clown they call the Donald has put boardgames on the list of things coming from China that will incur tariffs. This is going to wreck a lot of projects if it happens.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jedit posted:

This is going to wreck a lot of projects if it happens.

I expect a lot of "please pay the difference" emails from creators. I know I've gotten a few before. One for a Rite Press french press that went over budget on R&D, and another for Unbroken: A solo game of survival and revenge for shipping miscalculation.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The math burden for creators, especially new to the industry, is terrible for boardgames. I really wish there were two kickstarters. One that is a store for the CMONs and one that meets Kickstarter's original intent (and that it largely keeps in categories other than tabletop) to help creators make things that otherwise probably wouldn't happen. There is so much forecasting you have to do and one little screw up can cascade and kill an entire project financially. No one has asked me to just eat the cost in shipping increase for Bee Lives from the estimate I gave during the kickstarter but I've a few backers imply I can do so. Sorry, but not only was it clearly listed as an estimate but you can probably afford the $3 difference more than I could afford to eat almost $3000.

I am so glad my game is shipping now and not in late June or later when these new tariffs could start going into effect.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

The math burden for creators, especially new to the industry, is terrible for boardgames. I really wish there were two kickstarters. One that is a store for the CMONs and one that meets Kickstarter's original intent (and that it largely keeps in categories other than tabletop) to help creators make things that otherwise probably wouldn't happen. There is so much forecasting you have to do and one little screw up can cascade and kill an entire project financially. No one has asked me to just eat the cost in shipping increase for Bee Lives from the estimate I gave during the kickstarter but I've a few backers imply I can do so. Sorry, but not only was it clearly listed as an estimate but you can probably afford the $3 difference more than I could afford to eat almost $3000.

I am so glad my game is shipping now and not in late June or later when these new tariffs could start going into effect.

How would two separate kickstarters help with the newb-forecasting problems?

Answer: it wouldn't

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

homullus posted:

How would two separate kickstarters help with the newb-forecasting problems?

Answer: it wouldn't

Not with their forcasting, but it would certainly clarify backer expectations.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Even though project after project will reiterate "Kickstarter is not a storefront. Please be reasonable with your expectations." there are plenty of backers who still think of it as a way to pre-order games, and expect it to be as reliable as ordering a game from amazon. CMON, Queen Games, etc are a big contributor to that mindset because it is a pre-order system for them more than anything else. They fully intend to produce a certain number of copies from the start, including copies for retail outlets. The only question is how many stretch goals will be reached.

It makes perfect sense why they still use Kickstarter campaigns, because it's part of their success story and it allows them to scale up their games in a big way without scaling up the risk of not selling copies. Still, their success has put them in a place where they don't really need crowdfunding as much as they need to stay visible and get exposure for their new games and make sure people get those orders in so that they can keep the machine running.

The system still works for smaller indie game makers, but expectations can quickly become unreasonable when the big name established companies are setting the standard for how campaigns will pan out and how smoothly the process will move along.

It would probably be awkward at first, but I could see the benefit in having an offshoot of kickstarter for established and reliable companies. It'd still be kickstarter, but it would represent an effort on their part to define the OG kickstarter as a platform for helping projects come to fruition, and helping new talented people find an audience. The trick would be to not brand it as a "premium" version and thus devalue the original kickstarter platform, but instead make it more of a sister site or a sub-set of search categories or something like that.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Chubbs posted:

It would probably be awkward at first, but I could see the benefit in having an offshoot of kickstarter for established and reliable companies. It'd still be kickstarter, but it would represent an effort on their part to define the OG kickstarter as a platform for helping projects come to fruition, and helping new talented people find an audience. The trick would be to not brand it as a "premium" version and thus devalue the original kickstarter platform, but instead make it more of a sister site or a sub-set of search categories or something like that.

This is exactly what I was thinking of. I've been banging the kickstarter is not a store drum forever, but now that I've run a successful campaign it is quite clear just how many backers on the platform consider it synonymous with a store.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There was a time when kickstarter worked like you guys seem to want it to and it resulted in constant bad feelings and nearly destroyed the reputation of the platform as a whole. (More for video games than tabletop stuff, but still.)

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Ended up dropping the Bloodborne pledge. I think it looks fun, but I have 2 other miniature-driven dungeon-crawl quasi-campaign games to play once my group finally finishes Gloomhaven.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Agrias120 posted:

Ended up dropping the Bloodborne pledge. I think it looks fun, but I have 2 other miniature-driven dungeon-crawl quasi-campaign games to play once my group finally finishes Gloomhaven.

I did the same for the same reason, and also because my wife will kill me if I fund another projct with at least three boxes.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There was a time when kickstarter worked like you guys seem to want it to and it resulted in constant bad feelings and nearly destroyed the reputation of the platform as a whole. (More for video games than tabletop stuff, but still.)

Yeah, like...the big reliable Kickstarters are what keep me around using the site and occasionally willing to take a lark on some small passion project. If it was all novice dreamers I'd have given up on the whole idea long ago. YMMV, I suppose.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In fact, you still see video game kickstarters that show up with a handful of screenshots or a couple gifs and a bunch of pie-in-the-sky promises and unless they're coming from a big well-known name, you're basically gambling with your money. Meanwhile boardgame and TRPG designers seem to have learned that you have to actually have substantial proof of concept to show people in order to get them to pledge, which means at the very least some sort of beta rulebook, a print-and-play demo, etc.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

In fact, you still see video game kickstarters that show up with a handful of screenshots or a couple gifs and a bunch of pie-in-the-sky promises and unless they're coming from a big well-known name, you're basically gambling with your money. Meanwhile boardgame and TRPG designers seem to have learned that you have to actually have substantial proof of concept to show people in order to get them to pledge, which means at the very least some sort of beta rulebook, a print-and-play demo, etc.

... And/or a dual-sided calculator.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ElegantFugue posted:

... And/or a dual-sided calculator.

Like, why would you just not make that an app if you absolutely have to have it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The_Doctor posted:

Like, why would you just not make that an app if you absolutely have to have it?

Pretty classist, dude.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
On the board game side, I think the now standard practice of having a game almost done by the time it comes to kickstarter is fine and overall a good thing. There is a lot more to making a game than just coming up with a concept, and all of those project management and business aspects is where most people fail.

What I don't like about it as is, though, is that there are a lot of backers (not all, but a lot) that give creators 0 wiggle room on those issues. They seem to think everyone running a kickstarter is a CMON who has done this 100 times before and has all of the knowledge and relationships in place and that just isnt true.

I dont have a great solution for it, but currently it seems like there is a disconnect between expectations and accountability by both backers and creators that, to me, is created from the platform being used both by established business as a preorder store and newer creators or business trying to get off the ground.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Kai Tave posted:

In less lovely Kickstarter news, Lancer has blown past the final $400,000 stretch goal in the final day with six hours still left to go. This guarantees a substantial content infusion into the already-unlocked stretch goal supplements including NPCs, player-facing options, pilot gear, a bunch of stuff that would have come in the future but will instead be coming slightly sooner. This is on top of using some of their newly gained finances to take the goon-made Comp/Con character creator program and fund it, turning it into Massif Press' very own official Lancer digital toolkit.

Edit: Read one of the updates and saw they are doing post campaign pre-orders and it looks like an interesting setting so I'll get on that when they open it up.

PST fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 15, 2019

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

I dont have a great solution for it, but currently it seems like there is a disconnect between expectations and accountability by both backers and creators that, to me, is created from the platform being used both by established business as a preorder store and newer creators or business trying to get off the ground.

That's been a perennial problem from day one, far as I can tell, and does not seem to have very much to do with the split you note because that split didn't really exist until Kickstarter started becoming more mainstream. Possibly it exacerbates it, but mostly I think a lot of people that back projects on Kickstarter live in their own little world where everything must cater to them in all ways.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That little world is, typically, the same one as retail customers.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks! I'm Kickstarting Hard Wired Island, a retrofuture cyberpunk game.

quote:

In the distant future of 2020, mankind has settled space.

A meteorite struck Earth's northern hemisphere in 1996. The Impact caused widespread environmental damage the world has yet to fully recover from, but it supercharged public interest in space exploration. Around the world, new political unions that formed to fix the damage of the Impact poured money into space programs.

The result is Grand Cross, an O'Neill cylinder in the Earth-Moon L5 point.

Grand Cross is a cosmopolitan gateway to the stars, a launching point for missions to Mars and beyond, and a beacon of hope for its people. But behind the scenes, a war is being waged for its soul.

An alliance of space-based corporations known as the Offworld Cartel has moved in. They sell space exploration as a shared dream they strive for with everyone else, but their true aim is control of Grand Cross and, through it, the future of space settlement. As their influence spreads, so does inequality and crime.

The Cartel has convinced the current US-backed government to sell off many of the systems that keep Grand Cross running, and now it's slowly falling apart. Behind the scenes, they have even more underhanded schemes running in secret. If the next station election goes their way, they'll be on their way to becoming the landlords of human space...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Ettin, my wallet is grumpy with you. :v: it demands noods to compensate.

Backed!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Backed, but also spotted a typo: “The get to help describe”.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Fixed, thank you :toot:

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Hard Wired Island looks dope, backed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hearts of Wulin is a PbtA Wulin game. Didn't deep dive. Might be relvant to your interests.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
Dragon Ride

This looks like a shitshow. Poor kid :(

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

El_Molestadore posted:

Dragon Ride

This looks like a shitshow. Poor kid :(

It's her dad you should be annoyed at.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I am, obviously.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

And Kickstarter for not enforcing its own project requirements (again.)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ouch. The 25% tariff that the US is putting on all goods from China is being added to the shipping cost of all backers in the US from the VtM Heritage Kickstarter.

Doesn’t effect me as I don’t live there, but 25% on an already expensive game is brutal. I mean, it makes sense, they probably can’t afford to soak it, but ooofh.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah, the tariff is bad for KS board games. I really think it could change boardgame kickstarters since all of them are going to have to go up in price, either because of the tariff or getting games made elsewhere that are just more expensive manufacturers.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CottonWolf posted:

Ouch. The 25% tariff that the US is putting on all goods from China is being added to the shipping cost of all backers in the US from the VtM Heritage Kickstarter.

Doesn’t effect me as I don’t live there, but 25% on an already expensive game is brutal. I mean, it makes sense, they probably can’t afford to soak it, but ooofh.
No, I think this is the only possible move for already-funded kickstarters. It's completely unreasonable to expect the publisher to swallow the cost; their margins just aren't that big, and this is a big new expense that nobody planned for.

It's going to end up passed onto consumers one way or another - this is just it happening transparently, where you can see exactly how much the tarrifs are costing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I just wonder how many refund requests they’re going to get.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

But Trump said China would pay!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

I just wonder how many refund requests they’re going to get.

I think a refund request is reasonable given a 25% increase could push the game into u reasonable expensive for the consumer.