Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Blind Sally posted:

Hey, now, every picross is beautiful.
Show me your beautiful homework Sally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
あらいぐま (浣い熊, literally 'wash(ing) bear') is indeed 'raccoon'. That last fellow's holding up a イエローカード (yellow card).

This homework assignment is hard. :(

e: I am a derp. Also, I think it's a chocobo

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 3, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Blind Sally posted:

Hey, now, every picross is beautiful.
It's beautiful, but I still have no idea what this homework is supposed to depict.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I'm not sure what this is, but sure.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

This homework is starting to get abstract.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i think it's supposed to be a road runner

FPzero posted:

Show me your beautiful homework Sally.

i didn't save it. i've been working on my extra credit assignment :unsmigghh:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Homework!

So, as everyone knows Picross eventually looks like something even if its weird and seemingly abstract, right? Well, sure. In this case, because of how I got things solved, I was going in my head, "well, obviously it's going to be a scorpion thanks to how that looks" and then, I got stuck because of my presumption. I was implicitly trying harder and harder to get it to fit and then when it didn't, I thought I'd gone wrong somewhere. Turns out I didn't, but because I got so caught up in what I thought it as I ended up being unable to see what it actually was. Today's lesson then is if you don't know for sure what it is, don't presume you do. Imagine I said something witty about twisting facts to fit theories.

But yeah I don't think it's all that abstract in this case. Sure, I couldn't tell what it was at first but when I saw the thumbnail in my folder for the homework assignments it made a lot more sense. So I resized the assignment to 33% when I was done and I'm pretty sure Blind Sally's right.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
So whose idea was the Deadly Premonition cheerful whistle music? Because that was kinda perfect for Picross.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Got a little worried that this one wasn't right but looks like everyone else got the same solution.

Paperio
Mar 1, 2012
Agh, I had to be reminded of Picross existing again.

TheMcD posted:

There always seems to be a point in time fairly regularly where I look at my GCW-Zero, boot up the Game Boy emulator and think "you know what I haven't played in a while? Picross 2. That had really cool puzzles". Then I play it and cry because all the puzzles consist of four 15x15 squares making a 60x60 square, meaning that recognizing a pattern of any kind is really hard before you get to the last quarter, and usually, you don't really get the benefit of actually having nice complete rows to work from. Maybe I should go back to Mario's Picross on the Game Boy, that one was easier.
I remember playing the first Mario's Picross back in Middle School. It's definitely a much simpler experience, where I could usually do 2-3 at a time without much of a headache.

Picross 2, however, is a soul-draining exercise. Every time I've gone back to that, it takes nearly an hour of mental stress to go through four puzzles in a row that are all pretty hard. I would then realize each world has eight of these fuckers and call it a night.

Paperio fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 3, 2017

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Homework! I thought it was just an ostrich at first, but everyone else seems to have a more specific idea of what it is.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Homework.

For some reason I had a lot of trouble with this one. The 1 4 1 column kept tripping me up until I made a blind guess.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
At some point I thought it could be a crab, then a scorpion, although that might have been influenced by me using red for filled in squares. I'm still not sure where the drat thing is facing.

I expect Artix to yell at us and give us failing grades for this assignment for not seeing what this obviously is.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Here. It looks like my gift wrapping attempts.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Tougher, but doable.

It does kinda look like a chocobo.

Paperio posted:

I remember playing the first Mario's Picross back in Middle School. It's definitely a much simpler experience, where I could usually do 2-3 at a time without much of a headache.

Picross 2, however, is a soul-draining exercise. Every time I've gone back to that, it takes nearly an hour of mental stress to go through four puzzles in a row that are all pretty hard. I would then realize each world has eight of these fuckers and call it a night.

Yeah, I've been going through the first Mario's Picross during lunch breaks now. Definitely a much more comfortable experience.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I would post my homework, but I can't be bothered to open up imgur. Imagine the same as everyone else's, but in black and pink. I'm pretty sure it's a pterodactyl though.

Also, drat you Artix. I have now literally spent money on Pokemon Picross (chasing legendaries through toll gates) thanks to your efforts! Fiend.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Homework time!

I am operating on 4 hours of sleep so I'm pretty happy I finished this.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

nothing like a little picross to start the day

it's a... bird kinda thing?

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
It's always fun to see puzzles and games like this. Homework completed, do I need to post all three?

...I'm chugging through Pokemon Picross's Alt World, in addition to all this. Mega Puzzles are a pain in the hindquarters, and the strict time limits just make me use the free hints all over the place.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Sorry I was absent for the first two classes, but I'm here now!

Here's my homework. I have absolutely no idea what this is supposed to resemble, if anything.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Couldn't be screwed blanking the crossed out squares at the end of today's homework. It was originally red but for some reason it came out a uselessly-dark maroon, so I tried green instead and it comes out in that aqua colour. What are you doing with these jpegs? :psyduck:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rather Watch Them posted:

E: (Thank/gently caress) you for getting me back into this addicting game.

Anyway, homework. Technically I've been following along since picross is my jam, but I may have already passed this class.

That doesn't mean doing it in an image editor doesn't make my head hurt. I'm so used to the easy cross-outs of digital picross or the natural hand motions of a pencil. :arghfist::downs:

AlphaKretin posted:

Couldn't be screwed blanking the crossed out squares at the end of today's homework. It was originally red but for some reason it came out a uselessly-dark maroon, so I tried green instead and it comes out in that aqua colour. What are you doing with these jpegs? :psyduck:

Sounds like 256 color palette not being saved right.

Magic Fanatic posted:

...I'm chugging through Pokemon Picross's Alt World, in addition to all this. Mega Puzzles are a pain in the hindquarters, and the strict time limits just make me use the free hints all over the place.

I feel like half of the problem with Pokecross is that the finished product isn't really indicative of the picture you're making because it adapts color to two-tone really strangely. "Oh, that thing that looks like a shriveled ballsack is just :psyduck: okay".

(The other half of the problem is the freemium gating, but this isn't the place to soapbox that.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 4, 2017

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The nice thing about Pokemon Picross's freemium gating is that if you blow enough money on the game, Nintendo just throws open the doors and gives you infinite currency. So if you hate f2p games or find them unethical, as all right-thinking people should, you can still treat it as just an overpriced regular game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not gonna be the 50th person to post the same homework in this thread, you'll just have to believe I did it.

I'll just say, homework 3 wasn't much of a problem for me but for some reason I couldn't find some early step in the chain for homework 2 so I didn't finish that one myself.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

nrook posted:

The nice thing about Pokemon Picross's freemium gating is that if you blow enough money on the game, Nintendo just throws open the doors and gives you infinite currency. So if you hate f2p games or find them unethical, as all right-thinking people should, you can still treat it as just an overpriced regular game.

Yeah, it's the "overpriced" that gets me. You pay $30 for what is effectively the same amount of puzzles as any given Picross E game, all of which go for about $7.99. So even in the long run it's kinda crud and milking a license.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The basic model behind Pokemon Picross is something I'd actually like many other games to incorporate as well. There's a limit to how much you can pay so it's not an endless money sink, but rather it lets you pay depending on how much of the game you want to play. The game also has a demo mode effectively built in.

The problem with Pokemon Picross in particular was the overpricing, as was mentioned. With a more reasonable price, it would've been great.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
The only Picross games I've played are Mario's Picross and PicrossDS. The DS version was pretty nice because there was a big set of puzzles where you wouldn't be told when you made a mistake. On one hand it meant I could screw up a puzzle but not realize it until my only 'valid' moves would mess up a different row/column. On the other hand it meant that the game wouldn't slap me with a time penalty when I make a mistake and almost immediately realize that I did so.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

the picross e games on the eshop all have sets of puzzles like that too, they call it 'free mode'. and starting around the 3rd or 4th game they started including the option to turn on 'custom rules' which basically just means that you can play /every/ puzzle in the game with free mode rules

i prefer playing the game that way, honestly.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
With Pokemon Picross, you're pretty clearly paying extra for all the hints, unlockables, achievements, events, and other extra stuff. The game has a much higher production value than the picross e games, which are very spare.

All that stuff is kind of silly though, so it's hard to justify paying for it. All anybody wants from a picross game is good puzzles, and it's not like Pokemon Picross has better puzzles than the e series.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Homework 3 done Had to check the thread to see what the hell it was supposed to be though.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

nrook posted:

With Pokemon Picross, you're pretty clearly paying extra for all the hints, unlockables, achievements, events, and other extra stuff. The game has a much higher production value than the picross e games, which are very spare.

All that stuff is kind of silly though, so it's hard to justify paying for it. All anybody wants from a picross game is good puzzles, and it's not like Pokemon Picross has better puzzles than the e series.

Maybe you paid extra for all that stuff. They made the fatal mistake of making it theoretically possible to get through the paywalls with enough Daily Training. OK, to be honest it took months of Daily Training, but I still got through that thing without having to pay for it!

But seriously, if they'd just made it a reasonable up front price I would have been happy to pay. I just hate that microtransaction crap.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Welp, I fell down the picross hole for a few hours today. I'm sending the bill for my eye strain treatment to you, Artix. :colbert:

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Homework

In the same boat of not knowing what it is. Maybe a scorpion?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Done! Before I filled in the last few spots I actually thought it was a Zelda fairy, since the centre was all filled in and the sides kind of looked like wings. But now I'm firmly in the running bird camp.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A very low res homework. I thought it looked like a scorpion at first, because of the tail, but I think Chocobo is the correct answer.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i couldn't take it anymore. i went to the website to find out what it's supposed to be. if anyone can't figure out what the picture is supposed to be, here's the file name:

also, count this as my homework.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 4: Please Do Not Puzzle the Baby

So I'll admit, this one wasn't really the best puzzle but I chose it more for the size increase than the picture. As mentioned last time, the numbers are bigger, but the techniques are all the same. Let's observe:

A quick scan across the board gives us this to start with. That's not much! That said, we can get a little extra out of the 7/1 and 8/1 if we put the 1's in.

Because the squares that we do have for the 7 and 8 are much closer to the right, we're just going to start counting from there and filling in until we hit 7 and 8 respectively. Again, we don't actually know where the 1's are, I just have the X marks there to show the absolute worst case scenario.

The above, but properly cleaned up. It's still not much, but it's just enough to get us started on the chain reaction - the 1/2/1/1 on the far left is the key to cracking the puzzle.

Since there must be two 1's after the 2, that forces the 1 and 2 up to the top (highlighted in blue). With those squares marked, the entire top corner falls into place.

If you made it this far, the rest of the puzzle should be easy. The X's are perfectly placed to separate the 3's in the 3/3/3 row, and the second 3 knocks out the entire 2 column on the far right.

A lot of people called this one a scorpion? I don't really see it, myself. The site calls it a "Running Bird", so the guesses along the lines of a roadrunner or chocobo are close enough for me.

15x15 is the "standard" size, as far as the Nintendo-published games are concerned, so we'll be sticking with this for a while. Should be a pretty easy one to start out with!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Ahhh. I needed my fix. With some nice jazzy tunes this time.

Oh, and homework is more pleasing to look at this time.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I enjoyed this puzzle a lot more than the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
gently caress, I'm embarrassed how long it took me to identify it was a version of "The Fragrance of Dark Coffee" being played during the first half of the episode.

Especially since the regular version is my ringtone. :downs:

• Locked thread