Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
question
This poll is closed.
1 40 42.55%
2 54 57.45%
Total: 66 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shame on an IGA posted:

A million times this, also check your breaker panel and if you see anything made by Zinsco or Federal Pacific have it all replaced tomorrow.

FedPac breakers are so poo poo most insurers won't even cover houses that have them.

lol i think the breakers in my apartment are Federal Pacific

am i going to die in an electrical fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug
Get an emergency fund built up ASAP cause you’re almost certainly gonna find some nasty surprises that the previous owners covered up before selling. Such as a $6000 re-wiring of half the house, because someone decided to play electrician with duct tape and loose wires.

Seconding the air filter replacement — that was something that my husband and I didn’t even think about, until half a year into owning it and realizing we were getting poo poo airflow from the vents. The filter was completely black and had bent itself into the air duct because literally no air could pass through it any longer, lol. Changing air filters also made us stop smoking spliffs altogether because the filters were noticeably grosser during the month we were doing that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

BexGu posted:

But then you gotta watch out cause just because its new doesn't mean its good. Once saw a bunch of million dollar homes using cheap rear end PVC piping for all their plumbing and other short cuts and hiding it behind a nice layout.

So is this old goon quote true, GBS?

Tricky Ed posted:

Old construction is better than new construction because older homes were usually overbuilt in structural terms. They'll also usually be in better parts of town, in more established neighborhoods, and closer to city centers and services because they were built before everyone drove everywhere. Old houses were built by tradespeople who treated construction as a career and took pride in their work. They were built to last forever. You'll have a yard and a sidewalk that leads somewhere you want to go. You'll have a cozy fireplace and a formal living room.

New construction is better than old construction because it follows modern building codes. You'll have outlets every six feet, laundry connections, a two car garage, cable in multiple rooms, and more than one light in any given room. You'll have a living room built with a TV in mind and a kitchen built with a microwave and dishwasher in mind. You'll have a media room rather than a formal living room. You'll have insulation in the walls and the ceiling, efficient appliances, a complete HVAC system, double-paned windows, and insulation-wrapped hot water pipes. You'll have bedrooms that fit king size beds, an eat-in kitchen, and a bathroom that's wider than a bathtub. You'll have special foundation reinforcement (where applicable) or storm-proof roofing. You won't have to worry about your roof for 20 years.

Old construction is worse than new construction because the walls hide horrible problems, like support beams cut in half, old wiring, leaky pipes with lead solder, and asbestos-lined heating ducts. There are never enough outlets and if you use the hair dryer and the microwave at the same time you'll have a brownout. Your drainage to the sewer, if it's present, will be clay pipes full of roots. You'll have tiny rooms with low ceilings and a tiny kitchen that doesn't have a dishwasher. You'll have the most inefficient heating system possible, and if there's air conditioning it will triple your electrical expenses and drop the temperature by 5 degrees and drip water down the inside of your wall. You'll have single-pane aluminum windows and no insulation in the walls. Your roof will have three layers of shingles on it or will be leaking or both.

New construction is worse than old construction because it was built by people hired that morning in a Home Depot parking lot, using the minimum amount of material in order to meet the too-lax building codes, designed to last through the three year warranty and not a day more. New construction sometimes employs new techniques in an incorrect manner, which often ends up trapping moisture somewhere in the walls and causing horrific mold or rot problems. New construction is all about the finishes and not about the structure or mechanicals. You'll get a yard that funnels water into your foundation covered in some sod and maybe a 2-year-old tree. Your brand new roof was flashed incorrectly and water's running underneath all of it.

All of the above is true, simultaneously. Home ownership is awesome.

manderson
Aug 12, 2005

Human Extraordinaire

buglord posted:

100%

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

Such as a $6000 re-wiring of half the house, because someone decided to play electrician with duct tape and loose wires.

lol my mom got into a real spiral with this about ten years ago

first it started with a roof leak in the garage. okay, no big deal, maybe just get up there and re-shingle... oh, it's all rotten and hosed up here. okay, time to call roofers.

then the roofers found out the entire roof of the garage was hosed up, as in structurally un-sound, because the previous owners DIYed it (no, not the garage roof, the entire garage - it was an addition to the existing house) and didn't design/build the roof structure correctly.

then mom had to get a permit because the previous owners didn't get a building permit when they built the garage. also they didn't even manage to build the garage square. lol

then as part of this, some of the garage wiring had to be re-done... but the electrician arrived and immediately said he wouldn't even touch the garage wiring until the main breaker box was fixed, because apparently the previous owners had DIYed that too, and installed a main breaker that was bigger than the service connection was even rated for

then for some reason I can't remember they had to re-do the wiring going to the electric oven in the kitchen, which is when mom discovered that there was literally no insulation in the exterior kitchen wall... but at the same time, this probably had prevented the house from burning down, because when the previous owners ran the electrical line from the breakers to the oven, they spliced the electrical line together where it ran through the studs, and there were literal no-poo poo scorch marks on the wood

and of course since it's an old house and it'd been awhile and the roofers were out anyway, mom had them just go ahead and re-do the entire roof of the house while they were out and at it.

this was a few months after i'd started working full-time and was still living at home building up savings and paying off debt before moving out, so i basically kicked a couple paychecks over to mom to help out. i figured it was the least i could do after all she'd done to help me over the years.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

buglord posted:

It's extremely true, but he's talking about OLD old construction there

My house was built in the early 80s and it's basically like you put that post in a blender and then picked at random

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
A pool is a hole in the ground you throw money into, and don't use nearly as much as you thought you would.

Also, be wary of any rooms that seem added onto the house. My house originally had a small 2 car garage, but the previous owner had half the garage turned into a den. I would have like the extra garage space, but I get way more use out of the den as a gaming room. Anyway, the den had a baseboard heater in it, and one (and only one) vent from the HVAC system. Just an output, no return. It also had a fireplace, which I thought was cool and classy.

So it turns out, that that vent had abysmal airflow, because they just tapped into the main HVAC with some flexi-duct and called it a day. The flue in the fireplace won't stay closed, as it seems to be missing some parts. I managed to kind of rig it with a short section of chain and some springs so that there's not a constant draft. But I don't use it nearly as much as I would like. And that baseboard heater? It didn't work either. Sure it drew plenty of power even when the control on the wall was turned off (which I later discovered wasn't actually connected to anything) and my first electric bill was over $500. After that I shut off the breaker it was on, and it's probably a good thing, because soon after that, a broken pipe triggered a 75% gutting and remodel where I discovered that the 220v line feeding that baseboard heater was run along the floor, under the baseboard molding but over the drywall, through this window seat thing they put in where it was just kinda hanging out, and the whole length of it was just riddled with nails complete with scorched wood.. It's a miracle the house didn't burn down. So I removed all the old 220v wiring, and rerouted it into the garage where I have now have a place to plug in a welder or any other assortment of power hungry tools. I also discovered some places where they notched out the studs to run wiring to the point where there was only a fingers width of wood left. And upon peeling up the floor, found a hand poured, unlevel, uneven, rough as gently caress excuse for a concrete slab, which I had to level and smooth before laying tile.

So yeah, beware of any rooms that seem like additions or conversions.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 3, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh yeah and then the next year a fuckin' tax assessor from the county tried to jack up the assessed value of the house because of the "property improvements".

mom wound up fighting that one, fortunately she won

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol my mom got into a real spiral with this about ten years ago

seems like a home inspection should have found at least some of those issues prior to buying the house

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mozi posted:

seems like a home inspection should have found at least some of those issues prior to buying the house

i think you're right. protip kids, don't skip the basics just because you're buying from someone you know!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Get a whole house fan, gently caress A/C forever. (unless it's humid)

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
The best home horror stories are from people on the east coast in colder climates that bought homes with stucko exteriors. Nearly all of them are having to pay up to 40% of their home's value getting the entire exterior redone, mold damage repaired, and all the stuff that goes along with gutting the exterior and insulation of your home.

Turns out stucko inspection is a completely separate thing from a normal home inspection.

manderson
Aug 12, 2005

Human Extraordinaire

Nerses IV posted:

It's extremely true, but he's talking about OLD old construction there

My house was built in the early 80s and it's basically like you put that post in a blender and then picked at random

This is true. Mine was built in 1892 and its built like a brick poo poo house for real. Thing is a tank, but I'm def scared about whats behind the walls.

manderson fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 3, 2019

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I think the "old house" truisms only hold up until the mid 60s. After that it starts to turn to poo poo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Don't flush baby wipes

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I think the "old house" truisms only hold up until the mid 60s. After that it starts to turn to poo poo.

40s houses involve a lot of cardboard as a substitute for materials needed in wartime IIRC.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Mozi posted:

Oh yeah. Never skip a home inspection. Even if you end up going with a contract that doesn't require it just get one to find out stuff that will be a issue later.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

1950s houses are the sweet spot. Post-war and before build quality started going to poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

General Dog posted:

Don't flush baby wipes

Always know where a flashlight (with extra batteries), and always keep fuses beside it.
You will thank yourself, and not have a night of no power.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Solicit SA for advice on how to fix a giant hole in your roof.

Disregard all the advice given, and mix strange chemicals in your un-ventilated basement.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

General Dog posted:

Don't flush baby wipes

Even though every godamned package says flushable, don't do it.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
If you have a septic, be mindful of what you put down your drains. Grease, fats, flushable wipes are all bad because they can block the drainage paths (Don't use a garbage disposal either). But also some of the automatic toilet cleaners (2000 flushes) will do damage and you ought to try to limit how much chemicals you put down there.

There's good bacteria living in there which is munching on and helping to break down your poops which you don't want to holocaust with bleach.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Instead of ever doing DIY renovations consider burning the place down and collecting the insurance for a down payment on a new home. Make friends with your local fire brigade and ask them for tips, and make sure they do the insurance inspection!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I tried fixing the heat but I might have wired the emergency heat by accident because my electric bill was $250

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

RocktheCaulk posted:

Instead of ever doing DIY renovations consider burning the place down and collecting the insurance for a down payment on a new home. Make friends with your local fire brigade and ask them for tips, and make sure they do the insurance inspection!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Don't ever DIY anything unless you have prior knowledge or are a professional yourself. Do your research and you'll find a contractor that isn't dogshit. Yeah it will cost more, but you can hold the contractor liable if they do gently caress your poo poo up.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

bradzilla posted:

1950s houses are the sweet spot. Post-war and before build quality started going to poo poo.

It depends, I live in an area that’s been heavily blue collar since post war. There are a few pre war houses, the center of the neighborhood is 50s around that late 60s and around that 80s to now.

The 50s houses are more poorly built because being even a few miles outside of Baltimore meant bum gently caress nowhere. The late 60s houses were when steel workers were leaving the city with all this money and wanted quality poo poo.

Has to replace the aluminum wiring though but otherwise this house is a goddamn tank.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
has abnyone said Home Boner yet?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

If you have a septic, be mindful of what you put down your drains. Grease, fats, flushable wipes are all bad because they can block the drainage paths (Don't use a garbage disposal either). But also some of the automatic toilet cleaners (2000 flushes) will do damage and you ought to try to limit how much chemicals you put down there.

There's good bacteria living in there which is munching on and helping to break down your poops which you don't want to holocaust with bleach.

Slowly add bleach over time so the bacteria builds up a tolerance.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

FogHelmut posted:

Slowly add bleach over time so the bacteria builds up a tolerance.

:thunk:

Over There posted:

I tried fixing the heat but I might have wired the emergency heat by accident because my electric bill was $250

What is your current setup for heat?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Honky Dong Country posted:

Even though every godamned package says flushable, don't do it.

Mine actually said not to flush them, but I'm a maverick

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

:thunk:

What is your current setup for heat?

Electric. Had to rewire the thermostat.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Over There posted:

Electric. Had to rewire the thermostat.

This data is for Maine - but the concept should be roughly the same everywhere. Do you see electric way down at the bottom there? It's the most inefficient way to heat your home (unless you're using a heat pump which are really good).

I'm not sure what your climate is like where you are - but if you are going to be heating your home during the winter time, you ought to seriously consider changing your primary heating method. It will cost money now but save you in the long run. I bought my pellet stove in 2014 and it's already paid itself off.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

This data is for Maine - but the concept should be roughly the same everywhere. Do you see electric way down at the bottom there? It's the most inefficient way to heat your home (unless you're using a heat pump which are really good).

I'm not sure what your climate is like where you are - but if you are going to be heating your home during the winter time, you ought to seriously consider changing your primary heating method. It will cost money now but save you in the long run. I bought my pellet stove in 2014 and it's already paid itself off.

We are currently trying to get a wood heater installed. We got one for free but we just need to make the heat shield.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Wood stoves rule and I love them. Burn about two cords the whole winter.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 4, 2019

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Dont they raise the insurance cost enormously though?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Oscar Wild posted:

Dont they raise the insurance cost enormously though?

Honestly I have no idea. My exposure to one was when I was still in high school with my parents. I knew it was cheap as gently caress but they never mentioned the insurance being a huge problem.

E: Google's telling me yes it does increase premiums but iunno, maybe the low cost more than eats that.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I'm up in the northwest and any old house that is being remodeled is having them torn out.

I'm with you, I'd love having a wood stove.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

They really are great and I miss the one at my parents' place. Looks good and warms real well. Plus they're in a log cabin with the stove on/in front of stone which seems to do real well at warming up and keeping the place good and warm even after the fire's been shut down at the end of the night.

The other benefit is if you're using it all the time you almost never actually have to build a fire. You shut airflow down at the end of the night and in the morning when you clean out the ash there's still-smoldering coals to easily fire things up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Upstate new york here, lol im owning myself with the high tax rate and worse,

anyways my gas bill is 78 dollars a month, but the break down is weird, it goes as followed,

delivery fee 40.98, supply services 14.15 line maintenance 5 taxes 17 dollars.