Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
question
This poll is closed.
1 40 42.55%
2 54 57.45%
Total: 66 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Hi GBS,

I just recently bought a house with a little bit of land. This is my first house so I'm not really sure what to expect. Do you have any tips/tricks that might not be well known going into home ownership, or perils you need to watch for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Roundup 365 is your friend

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Burn it down and go back to renting. FML

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Nerses IV posted:

Roundup 365 is your friend

no let the weeds grow wild and free

as far as home owner tips here's one for ya: make sure to look up when you're inside to make sure the roof is attached properly. many new homeowners are bamboozled into just paying for the four walls and they assume there must be a roof on top of there but nope!

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Take care of your chainsaw/weedeater/mower/pressure washer/generator and don't let them sit there full of pump gas for months because my god there is nothing more infuriating than yanking a pull cord and the motherfucker just. Refuses. To loving start.

Also buy good ones, not home depot poo poo

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
- Get a "bless this mess" placard and never clean again
- Live, laugh, love
- Start saying "Home Cheap-o!"
- There are never enough peepholes
- Grow weed

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Asbestos and mold abatement is expensive, save time and money by buying a respirator and some disposable coveralls and handling that poo poo yourself like a man

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

-Have the plumbing inspected asap. Plumbing problems can become a goddamn nightmare in a quick hurry. Have a sewer and drain guy do preventive maintenance once a year.
-Get your furnace tuned up now. AC can wait til the spring unless you live somewhere hot year round.
-Change your air filters at least bi-monthly.
-Your mortgage payment will go up if property taxes go up.
-Clean your goddamn gutters in the spring and fall.
-Have anything that you don't know is relatively new inspected.

Good luck!

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
mow against the grain

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Register it as a blowjob factory and just watch the subsidies roll in.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

It’s never illegal to boobytrap your own property

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Figure out exactly which breaker does what

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
- Invite a foolhardy acquaintance to sample wine as you entomb him in your basement
- Buy a C02 detector for each room (homeowner's insurance may even reimburse the cost!)
- Start a blood feud with your nearest neighbor
- Make a series of threatening calls from the old time phone in the basement (likely untraceable)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Modern existence is unsustainable and has doomed this planet. You should lock the door, throw away the key and live out your days from a yurt in your backyard. Don't forget to purchase a rain barrel and a shovel for digging holes to poo poo in.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

In addition to that, have you ever heard about the fun and profit of urban beekeeping? Your neighbors will love you, and so will every plant, for helping them gently caress.

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
Don't worry if structural components like rafters and beams are blocking your dream tub, just notch those fuckers out of the way

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018
Find out if there's a neighborhood facebook page. Or get to know a few of your neighors well. Talk to them as much as possible about issues that tend to happen with the homes in the area. That'll get you ahead of as many problems you'd otherwise need a crystal ball to predict.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

take a chainsaw to all your neighbours overhanging trees, especially the big gnarly ones. they'll thank you for it later

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
With a little elbow grease and some gumption, you can add as many basements as you like.

A three story house is nice, sure, but a three story house with three sub-basements is even better.

You can surreptitiously dispose of excess dirt by cutting small holes in your pockets, filling them with said dirt, and then shaking it out as you take long walks around the neighborhood. This will keep HOA goons blissfully unaware of your excavations.

Unpaid laborers can help, but learn from the mistakes of this man.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

kecske posted:

take a chainsaw to all your neighbours overhanging trees, especially the big gnarly ones. they'll thank you for it later

I wish my neighbors would, its loving expensive to higher a tree trimming service.

If you don't have an emergency fund set aside get a "Home Projects" card. It can only be used with repair/improvement companies (that are listed to accept it). Having 7k, albeit on a cc, for emergency repair has saved my rear end.

If you think your house has taken damage over your insurance deductible then make it worth it and smash/soak/burn everything you want replaced.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

build a sex dungeon with dick prisons and all the fixins

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dig a deer watching bunker for your kids and then fill it with rainwater and snakes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
put in a big swimming pool in your basement, you can have wicked sick pool parties at all times of the year!!

also when the wifenheimer starts asking for a bigger house, just bodge up an expansion yourself. you can use MSPaint to plan it out, and if the local inspectors give you any grief, just go get licensed so you can inspect your own work! it's win/win, just don't forget to insulate those stairs!!

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I own my home and it's paid off

Not paying rent/mortgage rules.

Paying property taxes and fixing poo poo yourself sucks.

That is all.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Pee your name in the snow at every opportunity

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
also depending on how much land is involved develop an addiction

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 2, 2019

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Invite broken people from the internet into your home and call them by their assigned final fantasy character only

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
If you own a house you are poor. People will think you are rich because you own a house so they will expect you to pay for things and they will hit you up for money. Non-homeowners don't realize that once you own a home you are actually more poor then you have ever been in your life.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

put in a big swimming pool in your basement, you can have wicked sick pool parties at all times of the year!!

also when the wifenheimer starts asking for a bigger house, just bodge up an expansion yourself. you can use MSPaint to plan it out, and if the local inspectors give you any grief, just go get licensed so you can inspect your own work! it's win/win, just don't forget to insulate those stairs!!

And electrical outlets, hundreds and hundreds of electrical outlets everywhere.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Who doesn't buy a house in cash?

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

I own my home and it's paid off

Not paying rent/mortgage rules.

Paying property taxes and fixing poo poo yourself sucks.

That is all.

I just paid mine off and I'm getting rid of flood insurance because it was only required by the mortgage

No way that's gonna bite me in the rear end

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

MakaVillian posted:

And electrical outlets, hundreds and hundreds of electrical outlets everywhere.

Also compromise the safety of your home by remodeling your bathroom and cut off the top of I-joists.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If you aren't already handy, don't be intimidated by home maintenance tasks. Go to Youtube, and research what you want to do. Buy the tools, and do it.

Next time it won't be a big deal, and you'll already have the tools.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
let squatters live in your house or you’re a fascist

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Nerses IV posted:

I just paid mine off and I'm getting rid of flood insurance because it was only required by the mortgage

No way that's gonna bite me in the rear end

Where do you live? This may be important.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

GORDON posted:

If you aren't already handy, don't be intimidated by home maintenance tasks. Go to Youtube, and research what you want to do. Buy the tools, and do it.

Next time it won't be a big deal, and you'll already have the tools.

This.

My wife and I managed to do a $30K kitchen/bath/bedroom/den renovation (I'm talking ripped down to the studs and concrete slab and completely rebuilt) by ourselves with basically just google, youtube, and a fuckton of trips to Lowes. And what we ended up with is a lot nicer than what we would have had if we had to pay someone to do it. Instead of paying some dude who shows up to do the demo and disappears for two months, we were able to do it ourselves and get way nicer cabinets, counters, flooring etc.

That being said, check your god drat pipes. I wouldn't have had to spend a year and a half of my life living in a construction zone and only sleeping 4 hours a night if we'd just checked the pipes. Leaks are bad. Mold is worse. We had both. Hence the need to renovate.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Buy a gun

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Where do you live? This may be important.

I'm in a 500 year flood zone, but also get hit by hurricanes, so... is storm surge flood damage, or wind damage? Let's roll the dice!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Join the threads in DIY.
Be nice to your neighbors.
Host well-mannered parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
My friend just bought a house and now all he's doing is spending massive amounts of money changing it

I guess you can do that, OP