Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Kinda wanted to see what the sushi stop was. Ah well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Great episode. Sweet animation on that lil reload wrist flick.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

this show is insane

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Yoka is totally gonna end up being an eldtritch abomination or something.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

this show is insane

if you thought this last week...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

if you thought this last week...

don't do this to me man, i won't be able to watch until late tonight

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

lmao sorry dude

this ep was so bizarre i'm wondering if the alice shogi anime is a reference to something or if they just went absolutely ham with their fake show

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:psyduck:

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

lmao sorry dude

this ep was so bizarre i'm wondering if the alice shogi anime is a reference to something or if they just went absolutely ham with their fake show
It seems to be a mashup of Wizard of Oz and specifically Through the Looking-glass and what Alice Found There which takes place on a chessboard. But golly there were a lot of things in here that went completely over my head still. Fully unhinged

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Never thought I'd see something weirder than GuP's Boko but here we are

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

this one's truly the unfiltered tsutomu mizushima experience

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Feels like we should know for sure whether this show is bonkers(good) or bonkers(bad) in an episode or two. I am undecided.

No Zenjiro Facts this ep. :smith:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Agronox posted:

Feels like we should know for sure whether this show is bonkers(good) or bonkers(bad) in an episode or two. I am undecided.

i knew my answer from the first five minutes

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Very funny episode this week, great timing and speed

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I absolutely loved how the opening hit us with the gag of itchy stop only to follow up with the sheer terror of reliving your moment of regret which hit everyone (not only the dog) but Shizuru still won't admit her problems with Yoka outloud. Just an unnerving moment and whelp one that probably is gonna come to a head sooner thanks to the Queen of Ikebukoro

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

well then

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
That was fully insane, I had no idea what was going on that whole episode.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Talorat posted:

That was fully insane, I had no idea what was going on that whole episode.

definitely recommend pausing and reading the NeriAli databook entries so you can understand the lore behind the chubby guy telling porkies or the rugby player on a kayak who actually wants to play baseball.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol I totally forgot about the random Wicker Man reference

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I absolutely loved how the opening hit us with the gag of itchy stop only to follow up with the sheer terror of reliving your moment of regret which hit everyone (not only the dog) but Shizuru still won't admit her problems with Yoka outloud. Just an unnerving moment and whelp one that probably is gonna come to a head sooner thanks to the Queen of Ikebukoro

the cold open is so fricking good. introducing everyone's deepest trauma for like 10 total seconds and then overtly ignoring what we saw to spend the rest of the episode on a fictional anime lore dump is wild. i imagine you could draw some thematic conclusions about escapism and excessive fandom (not necessarily negative, as nadeko does make peace with her past through cosplay) but i'm too tired so i'm gonna post a funny gif instead.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I assumed that whole thing would have something to do with Guilt Incarnate but not really. He's just a totally unrelated fictional horror representation of the mistakes that help define our lives, in a sleeping bag!

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Big Leg posted:

the cold open is so fricking good. introducing everyone's deepest trauma for like 10 total seconds and then overtly ignoring what we saw to spend the rest of the episode on a fictional anime lore dump is wild. i imagine you could draw some thematic conclusions about escapism and excessive fandom (not necessarily negative, as nadeko does make peace with her past through cosplay) but i'm too tired so i'm gonna post a funny gif instead.
it does connect to Nadeko's big emotional moment later on about how you can't get hung up on what happened in the past and need to look forward, making regret and how you deal with it the bookending theme of the episode.
it's noteworthy that NeriAli was something deeply special to Yoka, given how excitedly the usually taciturn girl launched into infodumping about it, and something she connected to Shizuru over. But here she is downright spitefully destroying it. Connect that with the theme of regret and you start to get a sense of the emotions involved. Is she trying to burn her bridges in a desperate attempt to move on, or is it just another kind of dwelling? This show has the most torque when it keeps a strong tie between the deranged adventure stuff and the inner conflicts driving the lead relationship, and I think this ep did a good job of that

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Terry van Feleday posted:

it does connect to Nadeko's big emotional moment later on about how you can't get hung up on what happened in the past and need to look forward, making regret and how you deal with it the bookending theme of the episode.
it's noteworthy that NeriAli was something deeply special to Yoka, given how excitedly the usually taciturn girl launched into infodumping about it, and something she connected to Shizuru over. But here she is downright spitefully destroying it. Connect that with the theme of regret and you start to get a sense of the emotions involved. Is she trying to burn her bridges in a desperate attempt to move on, or is it just another kind of dwelling? This show has the most torque when it keeps a strong tie between the deranged adventure stuff and the inner conflicts driving the lead relationship, and I think this ep did a good job of that

yeah i probably should have said 'subsume' or something instead of 'ignore', since the opening definitely informs what happens the rest of the episode.

i like your points about yoka, since this stop does feel different (more self destructive?) than the ones we've seen so far. like every previous stop has been broken and horrifying, but they at least seemed to exist because yoka remembered shizuru's absurd bucket list and was trying to help her achieve those goals.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This also confirmed that Yoko being the one to press the button definitely shaped the entire world. If anyone else had pressed it, the start of the world would not have been Agano.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Double posting from the end of the world. Currently at Seibu Ikebukuro Station, on a train bound for Hōya.

Edit: Spoiler, it's very normal and boring. But it looks like they have some kind of stamp rally for the anime, maybe I'll look more into that another day.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 24, 2024

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Swan boat guy returns!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Well we got some answers to what's going on with Yoka but also have way more questions

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Poor Yoka got wibbly wobbly v2.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh yeah, that stamp rally thing.
I did complete it, took around 6 hours I guess? Two hours to go from Ikebukuro to Agano (with a change of trains in Hanno), spent maybe an hour and a half in Agano including getting lunch at one of the two restaurants in the town, and then started making my way back, getting off at each of the stations that have a stamp to get. The stamp tables are all located outside the ticket gates, so unless you do the trip by car/bike/whatever you'll be buying several tickets for the train.

After getting the final stamp, you can turn the booklet in at a station office and get a Pochi sticker free.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That's neat and while I doubt it I hope it's still up in August when I go to Japan cause that sounds like a fun day

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

That's neat and while I doubt it I hope it's still up in August when I go to Japan cause that sounds like a fun day

Yeah sorry, the campaign ends on July 15th. By then the stamps will probably also have worn out quite a lot and not press as neatly as I got them. The campaign opened on May 24th, and I went on the 25th.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

nielsm posted:

Oh yeah, that stamp rally thing.
I did complete it, took around 6 hours I guess? Two hours to go from Ikebukuro to Agano (with a change of trains in Hanno), spent maybe an hour and a half in Agano including getting lunch at one of the two restaurants in the town, and then started making my way back, getting off at each of the stations that have a stamp to get. The stamp tables are all located outside the ticket gates, so unless you do the trip by car/bike/whatever you'll be buying several tickets for the train.

After getting the final stamp, you can turn the booklet in at a station office and get a Pochi sticker free.

nielsm posted:

Yeah sorry, the campaign ends on July 15th. By then the stamps will probably also have worn out quite a lot and not press as neatly as I got them. The campaign opened on May 24th, and I went on the 25th.

this is win, thank you for sharing

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the manga art style battle this week is so good

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
Ep 10: BL Flash is an incredibly powerful move

I love this show fever dream.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 3, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Shocked the beret's didn't have device agreement along with their 7g plan fees

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Akira ruled this episode. She and Reimi have such a good comedic duo dynamic that doesn't detract from the dynamics with the other girls or the more serious emotional beats that Shizuru and Nadeko have had in these last couple episodes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"And sometimes Reimi just goes full Kong"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

what do you mean there's only two more eps. no. no...

the manga art style battle this week is so good

i legit screeched

symbolic fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Ahh two more? Dang.