Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

quote:

After the disastrous launch of an experimental 7G cellular network warps reality itself, Japan is left devastated with civilization collapsing and being reduced to scattered, isolated settlements. In addition, the 7G Incident has created strange phenomena and affected the surviving population in various ways, such as transforming the residents of Agano into intelligent animals once they reach the age of 21. Two years after the 7G Incident, young student and Agano resident Shizuru Chikura comes across evidence that her missing friend and classmate Yoka Nakatomi is actually alive and well in Ikebukuro. With the warped landscape too dangerous to travel on foot, Shizuru and her friends commandeer an abandoned passenger train with the intent to follow the rail line to Ikebukuro and reunite with Yoka.

First announced in commemoration of Railway Day 2022 and the 150th anniversary of Japan's first railway, Train to the End of the World is...unique, so to speak. An original production helmed by EMT Squared, the first episode alone is a bizarre amalgamation of drama, mystery, slice-of-life, and post-apoc culminating in the start of what looks to be a strange, abstract journey with four bickering but close friends and a dog at the controls of this doomsday train barreling into the unknown.

PV 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbFYZGG2f0M
PV 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSq3R-k6WZY
PV 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP1HMeFxJoM

Big Leg posted:

still thinking about their different run animations (especially akira's at the end) while shizuru is monologuing about all the horrible stuff that happened

https://i.imgur.com/YhyfOA1.mp4

symbolic fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Mizushima taking his GUP Energy and putting in just enough Lost Village to make it different shouldn't work but man was that first episode great

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

7G sure was a technology that would change the world.
:dumbrim:

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Finally watched the first ep.

Sure is a lot to take in.

It's intriguing enough that this may be part of my weekly rotation of stuff to watch.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i appreciate this thread title

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

i appreciate this thread title

:hai:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I'm on board

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Crazy old man's map seems pretty accurate so far actually.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
it's cool that they made the rest of the show so good even though they could have made it 13 straight episodes of reimi and akira teasing each other and it still might have ended up anime of the season.

https://i.imgur.com/aXmOv42.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/hVlkB4Z.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/SSshh61.mp4

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the silence in the opening flashback is just brutal. i think it's my favorite part of the entire episode even though it's like 5 seconds long

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Yeah, that lady at the end isn't at all suspicious.

shrooms...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

show is delivering exactly what i wanted with the second ep: the sense of intrigue/mystery, out-there side characters popping up, and a long journey ahead through the unknown. i freakin love trains

Big Leg posted:

it's cool that they made the rest of the show so good even though they could have made it 13 straight episodes of reimi and akira teasing each other and it still might have ended up anime of the season.

i think one of the strongest aspects of the show is the group's dynamic yeah, there's no real flashbacks or individual scenes that define their characters but you still get a real sense of who they are just based off how they bounce off one another after getting thrown right into the middle of them, in a very natural-feeling way to boot. it's really well-done

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

agreeing with everyone that i like how natural the character interaction is. show is killing it on vibes.

also want to point out the soundtrack - the motif they use to evoke trains and a sense of strangeness in the world and having the violins interplay with the synthesizers works really well. think this show is my musical highlight of the year for anime so far.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
Started this tonight with some friends and we are totally on board

given the seeming accuracy of the map symbols, I wonder if the shapes matter as well? Square > Major destination, Diamond > Moderate, Circle > Quick visit? The zombie looking one is a circle after all and I doubt they stay there long

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That intro scene was akward as all heck and told me a lot about Yoka

Also lamo Duck boat on the River is an amazing comedic touch. Mizushima is in his element here

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

SatoshiMiwa posted:

That intro scene was akward as all heck and told me a lot about Yoka

Also lamo Duck boat on the River is an amazing comedic touch. Mizushima is in his element here

the duck boat squeaky paddling noises are so funny. also it's cool how both of those scenes you mentioned make use of awkward silence for very different purposes

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Dexanth posted:

given the seeming accuracy of the map symbols, I wonder if the shapes matter as well? Square > Major destination, Diamond > Moderate, Circle > Quick visit? The zombie looking one is a circle after all and I doubt they stay there long

does anyone know (or, more likely, wanna look up) how many stops are on the line from agano to ikebukuro? i thought squares might be stations and the others might be events that happen while the train is in motion or something.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Agano
Higashi-Agano
Musashi-Yokote
Koma
(entering the unbroken urban zone around Tokyo)
Higashi-Hanno
Hanno (end of line for Seibu-Chichibu line)
(change driving direction and switch onto Seibu-Ikebukuro line)
Motokaji
Bushi
Irumashi
Inariyamakoen
Musashi-Fujisawa
Sayamagaoka
Kotesashi
Nishi-Tokorozawa
Tokorozawa
Akitsu
Kiyose
Higashi-Kurume
Hibarigaoka
Hōya
Ōizumi-gakuen
Shakujii-kōen
Nerimatakanodai
Fujimidai
Nakamurabashi
Nerima
Sakuradai
Ekoda
Higashi-Nagasaki
Shiinamachi
Ikebukuro

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 9, 2024

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Dexanth posted:

My thought is more squares are people, diamonds are yokai/cryptids, and circles are wild monsters/spooky phenomena.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 9, 2024

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

If you include the line change, same number of stations as symbols. but then what's the broken bit before the end stop on the map? Curiouser and curiouser

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's because Ikebukuro is hosed up but they're not going to find out how until several stations/episodes down, probably.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Mizushima taking his GUP Energy and putting in just enough Lost Village to make it different shouldn't work but man was that first episode great

so now i know why this comparison was made but more than anything this reads like humanity has declined rather than any of the director's own works

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Humanity Has Declined by way of Tsuritama

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ep 3 went exactly the way i anticipated it going based on the ending of last ep but that didn't make it any less harrowing. that ending hook caught me by surprise too. didn't expect any of them to start turning into animals since i thought it was only after 21 years and 3 months it happened? unless i'm misinterpreting what's happening to Akira

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

symbolic posted:

ep 3 went exactly the way i anticipated it going based on the ending of last ep but that didn't make it any less harrowing. that ending hook caught me by surprise too. didn't expect any of them to start turning into animals since i thought it was only after 21 years and 3 months it happened? unless i'm misinterpreting what's happening to Akira

I didn't think of that interpretation. I assumed it was a mushroom growing on her butt just to poo poo on her a bit more on this ep. Just absolutely no respect for her.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

I didn't think of that interpretation. I assumed it was a mushroom growing on her butt just to poo poo on her a bit more on this ep. Just absolutely no respect for her.

that's probably more likely the case yeah but i wouldn't doubt this series throwing a curveball

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think it's more likely to be a tail, given that she wasn't willing to get in the sauna in front of the others. As for the age countdown, I think there's something fucky with time dilation here. That amount of bitter melon overnight ain't natural.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Squidster posted:

I think it's more likely to be a tail, given that she wasn't willing to get in the sauna in front of the others. As for the age countdown, I think there's something fucky with time dilation here. That amount of bitter melon overnight ain't natural.

Nor are people turning into animals or mushrooms growing on peoples' heads though

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Mushroom episode sure was a lot including the mushrooms dying and even a mushroom itano circus

Anyway Mizushima said the weird stuff is coming next episode on so get on board

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The...weird stuff?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

ga tan go ton ga tan go ton shoo shoo train....

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Brutal Garcon posted:

ga tan go ton ga tan go ton shoo shoo train....

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

hearing rumblings that there's gonna be a hiatus after ep 4. it's so over

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
don't say that, it's the only show I am watching this season :(

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the director tweeted earlier today that episode 5 is finished. two weeks buffer is tight but i dont think its unusual for seasonals?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

the director tweeted earlier today that episode 5 is finished. two weeks buffer is tight but i dont think its unusual for seasonals?

i thought he tweeted that it wasn't done

e: regardless im choosing to believe it's only rumors, just thought posting a heads-up would be worthwhile

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
fwiw
https://twitter.com/tsuki_akari/status/1780173018477789667
'episode 5 is complete. airs in 13 days.'

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Apraxin posted:

fwiw
https://twitter.com/tsuki_akari/status/1780173018477789667
'episode 5 is complete. airs in 13 days.'

oh sweet ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

symbolic posted:

ep 3 went exactly the way i anticipated it going based on the ending of last ep but that didn't make it any less harrowing

it owns that the biggest twist is actually how the peaceful short life cult leader is also a bitter, angry rear end in a top hat

https://i.imgur.com/wZmlg0O.mp4