Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Does... does MissEchelon live on a farm or does she just have a chicken for a pet like people have pigs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
She lives "Down Under" IIRC. People down there are weird. :v:

No offence, MissEchelon but you have spiders the size of dinner plates and everything seems to want you dead. I don't understand why anyone would want to live there and yet people still do.

Maybe the chicken eats the spiders?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Maybe the chicken eats the spiders?

Strike that, reverse it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Screw you guys, chickens make awesome pets. They mostly take care of themselves, and turn stupid bugs into delicious eggs. Let's see your dumb ol' cat do that. :colbert:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So on a subject other than the awesome netbattling chicken, I'm a little... confused, by Dex's dilemma. Does he mean that he's not able to do the homework without the info on the disk? Or if it actually contains all his work, doesn't that mean its done and all he'd have to do is hand it in the next day?

Sorry, maybe I'm just missing something here.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Maybe it contains details on the assignment itself.

The real question is why none of his friends just emails him the relevant information that they presumably would have on their own disks. But that would make too much sense.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

My guess is that he's writing an essay or something and he only had it saved to that disk and didn't email it to himself like a sensible person and can't get the details from someone else because he already started and didn't wanna redo his work.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Maybe it was an assignment for history class which is why they're using disks in the first place~

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Epee Em posted:

I'm not giving MissEchelon a heckuva lot to say.

Given that pictures are worth a thousand words, I think MissEchelon may actually be in the lead thanks to the fan art.

Maybe the disks are a security/cheating precaution? Each student is given a procedurally generated set of questions, different from everyone else, so they can't share answers. To prevent some rear end in a top hat hacking a student's homework and changing the numbers, the homework is handled in the most secure way possible: offline.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

NullBlack posted:

Maybe the disks are a security/cheating precaution? Each student is given a procedurally generated set of questions, different from everyone else, so they can't share answers. To prevent some rear end in a top hat hacking a student's homework and changing the numbers, the homework is handled in the most secure way possible: offline.

That explanation is far too sensible for this universe.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Didn't they do something like that in BN2, though?

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
Your Polish looks so regal MissEchelon. Also neckless.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I forgot how gung-ho the gang was when it came to breaking into their school. Especially Yai. I can sort of see the appeal though.

I bet that chicken rocks the netbattle scene.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 30, 2013

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Epee Em posted:

:psyduck: WHEN DID YOU HAVE A CHICKEN!?

I woke up my roommate's dog with my laughter. I wasn't expecting this.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Epee Em posted:

No, Gunther here did *not* appreciate me waking him up to take a photo of him with a PET. But he woke me up at 4am today, so that makes us even.

:psyduck: WHEN DID YOU HAVE A CHICKEN!?

Hold, I think I've stopped laughing---wait, not yet.

Okay. Phew.

Anyway, as far as Disk-talk goes, I am a computer science major and this is the exact reason why I have a complicated system of Dropbox, Logmein, and my school's own student storage server so no matter what I can access anything I need from basically anywhere with an internet connection including my drat phone. Don't even need to use a flash-drive to carry things around anymore.

Then again, Battle Network seems to exist in a pre-wi-fi universe, so it seems like Megaman can't just scurry on over to Lan's computer or the school and back to grab forgotten homework. That's probably because the school's servers seem to be like an isolated dungeon of some kind that you can't access from the internet, you have to physically use their computers.

:psyduck: The more I think about this, it simultaneously makes more sense and less sense.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

In a world where cyber gods are things that actually exist and viruses show up to attack you every six feet, I don't really blame them for not connecting everything to everything else. Plus those emails have a strict character limit so using those to submit homework wouldn't b vry effcnt.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

That chicken has a magnificent hairdo. :allears:

And maybe they just don't have very good e-mail systems yet like we do?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Does this game still take place in 200X or have they moved to 20XX? Because that's an important thing to keep in mind when comparing their tech to our own, as we are in 201X.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Waffleman_ posted:

Does this game still take place in 200X or have they moved to 20XX? Because that's an important thing to keep in mind when comparing their tech to our own, as we are in 201X.

Apparently the series takes place in 20XX, so I guess they're still updating e-mails?

e: Apparently the game itself says it takes place in 200X, so they probably just have bad e-mail service.

Booky fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 30, 2013

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

kalonZombie posted:

Does... does MissEchelon live on a farm or does she just have a chicken for a pet like people have pigs?

I have pet chickens, three at the moment. They were all meant to be hens, but now I have Gunther. People always ask me if it's legal to keep cockerels in the suburbs, but it totally is (up until your neighbours complain...)

It is not legal to keep pigs as pets around here though, otherwise I would have a pet pig.

fool_of_sound posted:

Strike that, reverse it.

It's true, I haven't seen 'em eat any of the spiders that come around bigger than your hands. But that's OK, those spiders are cool.

Pfefferbao posted:

Your Polish looks so regal MissEchelon. Also neckless.

His hobbies include chasing my housemate's cats, running into walls, and getting food caught in his crest. He is the opposite of regal.

But in more on-topic discussion... Yeah I think Battle Network is set 200X, and #3 here was released 2002 (2003 stateside). I think we used disks for assignments back then, but uh, that's in Australia, and home internet really wasn't that common until a few years after that IIRC. I'm sure if there was an always-accessible network we really wouldn't have used disks, because c'mon man everybody hated disks.

Somebody tried to tell me the other day that disks were super reliable. What a filthy liar.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If you take a picture of a pig with a PET, I will...

Okay, I can't think of any suitable form of incentive. But you'd be awesome for doing it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

MissEchelon posted:

Somebody tried to tell me the other day that disks were super reliable. What a filthy liar.
My day job is as a computer programmer, and I get people asking me about this sort of thing all the time. "Why can't CDs and DVDs be RELIABLE like FLOPPIES were??" or "Why is it the big hard drives crash so much more than the smaller ones??"

When really these things are just as unreliable, if not worse, than modern storage, it's just that everyone ended up losing or forgetting about these other things because they were so much less useful than modern storage. I remember the time when I was little and I lost my exported Quest for Glory characters because I didn't know that floppies just randomly went corrupt when they got too old.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Coolguye posted:

My day job is as a computer programmer, and I get people asking me about this sort of thing all the time. "Why can't CDs and DVDs be RELIABLE like FLOPPIES were??" or "Why is it the big hard drives crash so much more than the smaller ones??"

When really these things are just as unreliable, if not worse, than modern storage, it's just that everyone ended up losing or forgetting about these other things because they were so much less useful than modern storage. I remember the time when I was little and I lost my exported Quest for Glory characters because I didn't know that floppies just randomly went corrupt when they got too old.

I grew up with floppies. How the hell can anyone who used those things think they were more reliable than current storage options? :psyduck:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I grew up with floppies. How the hell can anyone who used those things think they were more reliable than current storage options? :psyduck:

They were way more fire and forget than optical media. You used a floppy once, maybe twice, then it rolled under the desk or something and you never saw it again. Everything seems reliable when it only has to work a couple times before you throw it away.

On the contrary, since CDs hold so much more data, people were way more likely to keep them around since they actually had something interesting on them. The fact that they had to be handled way more carefully than your average floppy didn't help matters either, I guess.

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
While I go work on the next update, I nominate Gunther the NetBattling Chicken for thread mascot.

Motion approved?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Motion seconded.

I need to check the subforum more often if surprises like this thread happen when I check it. :3:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Epee Em posted:

While I go work on the next update, I nominate Gunther the NetBattling Chicken for thread mascot.

Motion approved?
Only if MissEchelon draws Gunther's custom Navi, EggMan.EXE, to go along with it.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 1, 2013

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Epee Em posted:

Motion approved?

Add Beardman's Beard and you'll have a deal. :getin:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
That chicken shall represent all our hopes, dreams, and possibly fears.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Epee Em posted:

Motion approved?

That chicken is the most metal chicken. There can be no better thread mascot.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Epee Em posted:

Motion approved?

Oh my, yes

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
edit: nevermind

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 2, 2013

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Third Murderer posted:

So Gunther could have a Navi. :v: Dammit put that back up.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Third Murderer posted:

You put that back up right now.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
But it's so stupid

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Well I think it's great. :allears:

How hard of a boss does everyone think Gunther'd be? Mid-boss kind or one of those superbosses? It'd be pretty funny to have a chicken Navi wipe the floor with people. :)

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

A little logic in the right place can cause chaos without limit.

Booky posted:

How hard of a boss does everyone think Gunther'd be? Mid-boss kind or one of those superbosses? It'd be pretty funny to have a chicken Navi wipe the floor with people. :)

Secret postgame joke character. Could go either way on difficulty, really.

Add me to the list who have picked MMBN3 back up because of this LP. The next Navi is being a royal pain, though...

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Third Murderer posted:

But it's so stupid

We shall call him Cockman.EXE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
I'd been slightly worried there wouldn't be as much awesome thread fanart this time around. My worries are gone! :swoon:

• Locked thread