Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:

Welcome, dear reader, to the final Let's Play in the MegaMan Battle Network main series. Assuming we get this archived, all 6 of the games will have been successfully completed.

1. Should I read the other MMBN LPs first?

MMBN1 and MMBN2 yes, the others no. I played the first one, MissEchelon did the second one, and here we both are on 3. This LP, and the game itself, pretty much assumes you have familiarity with how those two games went and ended.

2. Format?

Hybrid. Screenshots for the game, videos for the bosses. Since this is the second time I'll be LPing this game, I technically already have boss videos uploaded to YouTube. Rest assured I'll be making new ones that spice things up. Notice the RomHack thread icon. Anyway, MissEchelon will be joining me in this project as secondary commentator and provider of hilarious art such as what you see above. She's also generally a more positive LPer than myself, so you'll get a pretty mellow LP as a result due to my usual antics (swearing, being annoyed by NPCs, etc.) being balanced out.

2.5 Addendum:

At Update 16, I decided I was unfit to continue the project and clearly lacking in motivation. MissEchelon remained as secondary commentator, but giver336 took over for main player. Giver/Killer is the project co-leader and head writer for the MMBN Chrono X fangame project, and has much greater technical knowledge of the games. If you've read an Orange Fluffy Sheep LP, that's a good comparison. I stepped aside, and mostly just post silly nonsense (see the Bonus section) to enjoy myself while the LP continues at a much better rate.

2.5.5 Addendum to Addendum:

Alas, in Update 37, after almost 2 years on this project, MissEchelon had to leave. I returned to co-commentate with Giver from then on. A true team effort between the three of us.

2.5.7 Addendum to Addendum to Addendum:

Giver here. GeneralYeti stepped in for good at around Update #38. We're just gonna rock the GeneralYeti+Giver combo through the rest of this. Sorry for the massive switching of staff, folks.

3. Spoilers?

I would prefer none at all bar what gets posted in the updates, honestly. That said, if you absolutely must discuss content in the LP's future, please take up a policy of "filing the names off". If you're using proper nouns, you're probably saying a bit too much.

4. Why Blue version?

It's so much more ridiculous than White, that's why. Mostly due to the existence of one special BattleChip, and everyone familiar with the game knows exactly which one I'm talking about because it's the most broken thing in the whole series hands down.

I think that's an acceptable introduction, I prefer to be simple with openings. Do you really care that this was Black version in Japan? No, I don't think you do. Here we go!

Updates:

1. Computers, Cowboys, and Co-op LPs.

2. Asterix Chips, Obelix Not Included.

3. I LP a Pigeon Dating Sim and MissEchelon Waits Until NOW?

4. Killing Kids. Not Featured: Killing Kids.

5. We Have a Gimmick!

6. And That's Terrible.

7. Mr. Prog's Wild Ride.

8. Child Actors Suck.

9. NaviCust!

10. It's a Curse, I Tell You.

11. A Curse Called "Being Stupid", Apparently.

12. Qualifiers are Over!

13. Moral of the Story: Never Give Epee Em an Excuse to Open MS Paint.

14. I'm Actually Forced to Make This Joke, or the Later LPs Don't Make Sense Because They Refer to It.

15. Style Changes Return, Along With Epee Em's Usual Incompetence in Everything Not a NetBattle.

16. And Now For Someone Completely Different.

17. You know, it's goddamn surreal to have used ChibiSoma's old GameFAQs guides for these games as a kid and then seen him post here in these threads occasionally.

18. OH LOOK AT ME I CAN FARM A TON OF ASTERISK CHIPS WOOOO.

19. Foreigners Are Bad!

19.a GeneralYeti engages KingMan in a challenge fight, only able to use RockCubes.

19.b EPM speculates on object and movement mechanics in battle.

20. The torch is officially passed.

21. Q: What's his name? A: Sunayama.

22. PET Kune Dope.

22.a GeneralYeti enacts Anakin's worst nightmare.

23. Clean out your net areas with the power of Scrubbing Bubbles!

24. Let's Viruses Busting? Careful, Ecchy, or Nyarlatho-Hitler is going to use the Lance of Longinus.

25. My Humor program is bugged and I set Panic to my Regular.

26. Early Undernet Access.

27. Aha, my old nemesis! A TRUCK! FAPPO! Also I think Giver's made a tentacle rape joke in every update he's written thus far.

28. Root Access. Blame Tunicate for that pun.

28.a :fuckoff:, by GeneralYeti.

29. We all know where this is going.

30. Internet Flame War.

31. "Wait what the gently caress they coded in dialogue!?" Words fail me. This is a special one right here.

31.a And this is what everyone else ever saw when they actually played the game.

31.b It's close to Midnite and something evil's trolling...

31.c ZOFORT!

32. Amusingly, or perhaps unsettlingly, the UnderNet has a real-world analogue in the DeepNet.

33. S-ploring the UnderNet.

34. "But, perhaps it is my anger that has made me blind to the truth for so long. I see it now, this day has made it all too clear."

35. You could at least mention that I was involved in some of that planning, Giver! :argh:

35.a General Yeti continues to contribute more to the thread than I (EPM) for months on end.

36. The fact that BUCKETS were the best security system in the whole series speaks volumes.

36.a The reason it works is because interrupting DrillMan's attacks resets his position, so he gets hit twice.

37. EXPOSITION DUMP TIME!

38-1. EPM returns, as MissEchelon becomes no longer able to participate. The combined forces of Giver and EPM ranting proceeds to break the character limit and require a split update.

38-2. We will continue to fight, in Echy's name!

39. Behind the Beard. Enter the Yeti.

40. Side Kick Returns!

41. Pierce the Heavens

42. Couldn't Fit These During the Boss Rush. Deleted Scenes!

43. Final Transmission.

44. Not Like This. Not Like This...

45. The Lengthy Ending. Brings a Tear to the Face.

46. Starting the PostGame! And Helping Scrubs.

47. Spoilers: I'm Bringing This Quest Back For Chrono X

48. 30 BugFrags? Seriously?

49. The Best PostGame Area in the Series.

49-B. Yeti, You Need to Complete More Battle Network Postgames.

50. Why Would Your Name Your Boss That?

50-B. Disgraceful, Yeti. FOR SHAME!

50-C. Rigged Death Trap Tries His Hand.

51. Better Security Than The Real World.

52. No, Professor Oak! Fill Your Own drat Pokedex!

53. The King of the Net!

54. I Guess You Could Say That Fight Was...BS.

55. Trial of the Kings.

56. Yep, This Game Is Still Going.

57. 6th Star Obtained.

58. The Finale. Thanks For Reading!

S-Ranking Navis Series:

A video guide series detailing potentially viable and otherwise alternative strategies for S-ranking each boss in the game. Ground rules and overall details are set in the first link. These are voiced by Giver336.

1. A Flash of Insight.

2. He's not SlashMan guys, he's BEASTMan. And in BN6 where Beasts are a big deal, cue SlashMan showing up for real in one version. Go figure.

3. Blub Blub Blahblah de puku~ or something. I still don't get why these kinds of characters are popular in Japan.

4. In retrospect, I don't think any MetalMan involvement in these LPs has ever gone without METAL GEAR!? jokes.

5. 01000100 01101001 01100011 01101011 01110011 00101110

6. Just Deserts.

7. BURN, BURN, BURN TO THE GROUND!

8. If You Think He's Cheap, Then You're Bad.

9. If You Ever Have Trouble, Just Use Sensor3.

10. Checkmate!

11. Robert Williams Come Back...

12. Keep Bowlin' Bowlin' Bowlin'...

13. Eternal Rivals. Eternally AntiSword.

14. So Dark You Can't See Him Normally.

15. Rising Sun!

Chip Encyclopedia
Need to know where to get each chip code in the game for your own playthroughs? Then look no more.

1. Volume 1 -- Standard ID: #001 - #099

2. Volume 2 -- Standard ID: #100 - #200

3. Volume 3 -- MegaChip ID: #001 - #086

4. Volume 4 -- GigaChip ID: #001 - #026

5. Volume 5 -- Program Advance ID: #001 - #032

Giver's Supplemental Educational Materials.

1. Yeti Teaches The Class About Styles.

2. I Should Have Squided While I Was Ahead.

3. PvP: Mash A To Win

4. おたく/オタク

5. Type "Worship Giver" When Clicking This Link to See All the Chip Command Codes in the Series

Non-BN3 S-ranking Requests:

1. ShadeMan Study Session (BN4)

2. CloudMan Study Session

3. BassXX Study Session (BN5)

4. Hakushaku(Count) Study Session

Bonus: Epee Em Streams MMBN4: Red Sun for Charity

People donated over 300 dollars to force me to do this. God drat it. The highlights reel is pending.

Part 1: Game Start to GutsManDS
Part 2: Red Sun Tournament to Game End

Bonus 2: Retsupurae Retrospective:

(Note: I am a Game Design major, and my academic peers and professor wanted to see a sample/presentation of Let's Play. So I made these, as a more academic review of my past works.)

MegaMan Battle Network 4

Bonus 3: Very Extended Penis Long

What happens when an EPM who hasn't slept in 35 hours and is running on caffeine alone discovers that a poorly-made penis enlargement pill website is using his name and other Battle Network LPers' content? This. Not helping matters? It has Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal-grade nonsensical Engrish.

Bonus 4:

You wouldn't believe me if I told you what this was.

Epee Em fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

Gunther the NetBattling Chicken by Epee Em:

And then came BirdMan.EXE by Third Murderer, thus solidifying Gunther as thread icon:

Be warned of spoilers, ahead.

Croccers followed suit by indulging MissEchelon's fondness for Mr. Progs.

And then suddenly a whole bunch of crazy vectors got kicked off:

Comparison of MS Paint vs. Illustrator by Epee Em:

hhwoot proves how to make a PROPER vector to Epee Em, who had previously tried to make an Anger Impact vector:

And then continues to extrapolate, and unless specified otherwise is the creator of all subsequent vectors:

In hhwoot's own words: "Look at this smug rear end in a top hat."

And then came the flood of vectors:

hhwoot posted:

Looks like all the pixel sprites with a lot of detail (especially faces) need significant cleaning up to look good.

hhwoot posted:

It's ridiculous how much emotion we perceive from minor differences in the eyes and lips. Makes it so difficult to clean up the stylized vector conversions.

And then came the Return of the MMBN5 LP's Horror Edits in full force:

Our united selves have ascended to the highest echelons of scholastic merit and are considered highly regarded in the scientific fields.

And then this one is clearly to appease the local hilarious art-partner and Mr. Prog fangirl, MissEchelon:

OmegaCake's SmugLan 2.0 avatar from MMBN5 got a similar rehaul:

And then came the BeardMan jokes, along with an inexplicable trend towards Dragonball Z references:

Followed by his antithesis, Majin Regal:

And on the subject of things golden, presumably inspired by grabbing the Dr. Regal mugshot off a mughshot gallery like on Sprites Inc. or something:

Followed by things veering right back into disturbing territory. I think MissEchelon herself was responsible for the original sprite edit this one was based on:

As for the next one, I'll let the goon speak for himself:

hhwoot posted:

Hopefully this redeems me a bit after that last one...

It remains to be seen whether further insanity will follow. Knowing precedent? Probably. Watch them all come up with recipes like in Vietnamese Crystal or something.

20 minutes later edit: Yeah, this did:

Blaziken386 posted:

And now, for future archiving pleasure, (because these definitely need to make it into the fan-art section of the LP) I present to you:
The group shot of all the avatars this thread has produced thus far.

Thanks, Hhwoot! You are the best type of person.

There, one convenient package for you, reader, and you also get to laugh at my misfortune at having individually linked each only for Blaziken386 to do one better almost immediately!

More from hhwoot, following silliness:

And once Giver336 replaced Epee Em as the player and first commentary, the torch was officially passed upon Giver's first sweargasm, Epee Em making this to commemorate:

Jokes about Ecchy's odd tendency to attract strange avatars being set for her prompted her to draw herself one in earnest:

God drat it, Petiso:

By MidniteW, another MegaDudes member on the ChronoX project:

Epee Em fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 11, 2016

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

Is it? It is. You'll notice a bit of picture blur here, I kept this as a comparison shot. I actually had to restart the game and recapture a new batch of screenshots after the first update attempt because I'd forgotten to recalibrate my display settings. Because dangit, this is MMBN3, and the true finale to the Let's Play MegaMan Battle Network sequence, so we're going whole hog in making this a quality production.

Did somebody say quality?? I can't provide that. But I can provide awful references and even worse pictures, so let's start off on the right foot!

A brief setting synopsis. Okay, I'm going to assume that the reader knows the basics of Battle Network at least. If you don't, why are you starting with this LP when literally every other game prior is on the archive, linked in the opening post no less?

Anyway, due to the increase in NetCrime, SciLab has established a specialized Virus Lab, and Lan's class is taking a field trip there today!

The usual cast is around, and honestly, after guesting in Astro Nut's MegaMan Starforce LP, I kind of appreciate them a little more now. I didn't think it was possible for there to be worse, but there is.

Lan's cool, Lan's friends are super cool, aw look at everybody again! :3: It's been a while since we've seen the crew.

Lan is all excited, because hey, field trip! It's nice to see kids excited about science. I wonder if MMBN has a Bill Nye equivalent?

Or a Dr Karl. Could you imagine the themed navis? Oh my gosh.

MegaMan nags Lan a bit, as usual. Equally as usual, the blink animation rears its head. Things are all as they should be, overall!

I'm waiting for the long segments of characters giving each other the death glare that seem to pop up in these threads. They add to the experience!

Still, it's time to get onwards with the game's fairly short tutorial segment.

Once Lan gets his act together, that is. He's just being an elementary school kid dazzled by the wonders of technology! MegaMan lectures Lan plenty, but that usually stops when things get serious.

Yeah, if my twin was hassling me about doing some boring tutorial I prolly wouldn't listen either.

First thing to do, as with any MMBN game, is to check the everloving hell out of everything. You'll notice the icon for a CustSword chip on the monitor, but that's just a coincidence.

Can you find chips randomly around in this one like in MMBN2? I guess it doesn't matter either way, since you should check everything anyway. Because some of the random dialogue in these games is hilarious.

Yes, you can. Among many other things!

This room will actually be very useful over the course of the game, because it provides a direct access to one of the game's major "hub" areas. No dice during the tutorial, however.

I won't be showing the conversations for most of the characters here, because they cover very basic things like opening the menus and the interface. More charmingly, Lan basically has the "my dad works for Nintendo" situation, except for real.

Lan's dad is cool.

Dex laments that he wishes they could have gone on that trip instead. Not because a factory would be cooler than a science lab, which it wouldn't be...

But rather because they can't sneak away here to NetBattle GutsMan vs. MegaMan.

Dex is our best bro. Look at how he immediately thinks of us! What a swell guy.

One of Lan's classmates has never had a non-studious fight against a virus before. A bit odd, but not implausible given they're only in...I think 6th grade in this game? MMBN2 took place over summer break.

One of Lan's classmates is a total weirdo, especially by MMBN standards

The Regular Chip system returns from MMBN2. MegaMan has a Regular Memory (RegMem) stat, and you can select any chip in the folder with "MB" less than that number as the Regular chip. It will always appear at the start of battle as the very first chip. Needless to say, utility chips like Invis * or AreaGrab * will be the best choices until FastGauge (doubles the speed of the CustomGauge) becomes available.

Or if you're feeling lazy and speeding through older areas, a semi-decent attack chip speeds up boring battles too. Well, if you've somehow got a folder setup where that sort of chip isn't always an expected draw.

On that note, MMBN3's mechanics are literally "MMBN2's with more customization options". So I'll be skipping over the usual chip tutorial, because once again, this LP assumes you've read my LP of MMBN1 and MissEchelon's LP of MMBN2. Details from both are going to be plot-relevant later on anyway, so I strongly recommend reading up on those games before going anywhere in this thread.

I recommend reading them because they're fun!

Mayl advises Lan to pay attention to things, because they may be on tests later. This is actually very good advice for this game, because MMBN3 requires the player to at least notice particular things across the game world, so that later hints and "gee, what can we do that (performs function)" moments aren't frustrating. I can see how some players would be annoyed by this, but I rather like it because it makes the setting feel more like a cohesive whole. That said, this can cause problems if you're the type of gamer to set down a game and not play it for a while, especially given this was for the GBA.

Actually, come to think of it, that may be why players who liked MMBN4 hated this game. MMBN4 was, for all its flaws, very simple to just ditch for a while (likely out of nausea) and then come back to days, weeks, or even months later.

Hey it's Mayl!! Our other good friend! Always full of good advice, always listen to your cool friends, guys!!

Yai doesn't have much in the way of information, merely noting that she worries about writing reports about all this.

Yai's our best friend. Yai is awesome. This is all worth noting in case it's on a test later on.

Ms. Mari is just as enthusiastic as the students, really. This is the computer science equivalent of going to the Louvre, after all. After you've spoken to everybody, the combat tutorial gets underway.

Most MMBN games start like this. Class scene, talk to everyone to proceed. It's... good to get used to a gameplay element they use constantly.

SKIPPING THAT.

And nothing of value was lost

Thank you, generic science tutorial person! Like I said before, the combat system is literally identical to MMBN2's at the start. The things that make MMBN3 unique, and in my opinion the crown of the series, come later. Seriously, this game is a customization nut's wet dream. More BattleChips than any other game in the series, more options for tweaking MegaMan, more everything.

Finally, certain dubiously-usable battlechips become insanely usable customisation options...

Yai brings up a proposal that Lan, Mayl, Dex, and herself (the usual crew) all meet and chat on the net later.

Pretty sure this is how the last game started, and how the next game will start.

:allears: This is basically how I respond whenever I have to get involved with Lan's friends. Since this is the last game to be archived, assuming I can actually finish a drat project anymore after the previous two failures, I'm tempted to ask baldurk to list "The Blink Animation" as a co-author when the time comes.

You're probably just overwhelmed with how delightful Lan's friends are. Totally not annoying at all!

Well, it's settled.

Yai's such a good friend.

Ms. Mari is not amused by the chatter in back of the class, however! End scene, fade out.

And it was the best field trip ever, the end.

It's funny how some of Battle Network really does match up with modern day internet tech, while others are practically anachronistic. Who uses CDs anymore for anything but archival? And why bother turning them in when you could just email them, since you're submitting a digital assignment anyway!

You can use CDs for very productive purposes. For instance, if you hang them up they make fantastic toys for chickens. Though I'm hoping by disk they mean 3 1/2" floppy.

...Actually I think I still used those for transferring documents when this game first came out. I don't think I got home internet until much later... ...Which absolutely doesn't excuse MMBN for doing it though, what with the world's machines connected in a worldwide network.

Unless viruses. Those darn viruses!

Ms. Mari specifically names Lan and Dex. No, Lan did not ever do his summer project from MMBN2, it seems.

To be fair, he was distracted. By food. And nothing else.

First order of business: exploration.

Second: Mr. Progs! MissEchelon made a, shall we call it, "contractual stipulation" that I talk to Mr. Progs and show off the charming dialogue in the game as well as I can. So here's that end of the deal. I'll be holding myself to a few other tasks over the course of the LP. Mostly to do with the bosses to ensure that I have something new to present this time around, since the basic boss fights are all on YouTube already. You bet your rear end romhacks will be involved.

Mr Progs are cool. Talk to Mr Progs every day!

THE PATRIOTS! Unnecessary information will be removed to create context!

When you live as a sentient blackboard computer program with one singular task, you take pride in cleanliness, I suppose.

Aw, Mr Progs. Always hanging around being cool guys.

We got a skipped tutorial, is that good? Like I said before, however, pay attention to stuff like this. Yes, the fact that the other class got parasols will be relevant later.

Talking to Dex, Mayl, and Yai are all required before MegaMan lets Lan leave, but talking to the former two just tell you to speak to Yai. Park meeting, dead ahead!

Yeah, like I said, a very common "gameplay mechanic" that this game has. But you should be talking to your friends at every instance anyway, right?

Amusingly, I discovered by accident that if you check an object right as you turn around, Lan will be facing the other way as the description comes up. A description for the class hamster promptly gets applied to Dex.

Yikes. Lookin' awfully judgemental there, buddy.

Outside the class, calligraphy has been drawn of each character's name. Dex, Mayl, Lan, and Yai's are the bottom row, the top row represents the rest of the class. I'm a little curious about what the unnamed NPCs get for names, actually. All the pictures seem to be roughly the same image, however. Maybe it's just "Name Here" or something? That sperm-looking character is "no", I can only recognize that much. Anyway, Lan gives Dex's calligraphy 2 points, tops, Mayl's 7 points, his own 8 points, and Yai's a perfect 10.

It's true, Yai is perfect in many ways.

Just off screen to the top-right is one such light-blocking parasol that another student left behind because he didn't particularly want it. This'll be handy about 2 updates from now, but we can't collect it presently.

"PARASOL", you say? At least these games aren't subtle with their hints.

The rest of the school isn't notable. What is notable is that Higsby's shop will be back in this game! As usual, it is a fountain of game-breaking and absurdly powerful chips and items. This game, in fact, introduces a little something called the Number Trader. I'm swearing off using that thing until the postgame, because it is ridiculous in how powerful you can become the second it's available.

Higsby's shop is game-breaking, and Higsby himself is an awesome guy. There is nothing not to love here!

As soon as you arrive in the park meeting place, it's time for, you might be surprised, a major facet of the game to be introduced. If you press L for MegaMan's advice before you come here, he amusingly says something to the effect of "Let's try to be on time for something for once."

There's a surprising wealth of lines in these games you'll seldom see.

You have to wonder what the logic is behind chatting online later when all of these people live within 2 minutes walking distance of each other and are having a meeting in the first place. I think I read a Dilbert comic along these lines, once...

There it is! This is basically the same situation, don't you think?

Before things can really get underway, however, a man dressed in a cowboy outfit interrupts!

His name is Mr. Sunayama, and he's a TV producer!

Yai, narcissist that she is, jumps to conclusions immediately. This game does a good job of making the characters likable in spite of their neediness, honestly.

Now now, we can all see Yai's obvious star material

"Count to ten, Sunayama, count to ten, deep breaths." Rolling with this and brushing Yai aside, Sunayama continues.

It's a NetBattle tournament! This was the first game to really use this idea, and Capcom decided to rehash it for not one but two games, three if you count distinct versions, after it. The original is fun. The later knockoffs are most certainly not.

This game is awesome. And let us not speak of the sequel right now.

It gets interrupted by a Laharl cameo halfway through broadcast, believe it or not. Why a news outlet is sponsoring this is anyone's guess, but maybe DNN is like FOX and has an entertainment channel as well.

Squares return from MMBN2, and continue to function as community focal points. Dex, Mayl, and Lan each sound off "Us? In the preliminaries?" one to two words at a time in response to this.

Yai however is rather disappointed.

Oh Yai, I'm sure it's coming.

And indeed, we'll be seeing global participation in the N1, including a few cameos from MMBN1 and MMBN2 about halfway through the main game, or about 1/3 through the LP.

Unfortunately there are no more cowboys. SORRY GUYS.

Off Sunayama goes, to oversee things. Marketing takes a very direct approach in MMBN-land, probably due to how advanced AdBlock Plus has become over the years. Spam is no more, marketers prefer to just get personal with potential audiences instead.

Considering the proliferation of viruses, it's probably best that they don't tend to use the Net for that.

Lan and Mayl are unsure at first, but Dex is fired up and eager to get things going.

A nice play on words, it makes me wonder what the original Japanese line was.

As far as I'm concerned, GutsMan's lines are just a long string of "GUTSSSSS". He's rather like a pokemon that way.

And much like Lan and MegaMan...whaddaya say, MissEchelon? Shall we give this LP our all, and go for the gold thread?

Let's finish off this game series! With the best game, and our best effort! For everlasting peace!!

Mayl and Roll do better than you might think, based on precedent.

They're capable but lazy.

Annnnd I'll spoil things right away by saying that Yai does so atrociously in the N1 she winds up in the hospital later in the game. For context, Glide is the only customized Navi in the series you never fight. He's that mediocre. You even fight Roll in MMBN4: Red Sun, for crying out loud.

... well.... they try their best. :shobon:

Off everyone goes, and that means Lan and MegaMan should be getting going as well!

MissEchelon, you heard the two! Let's give it our all! Let's Play MegaMan Battle Network 3: Blue!

Let's rock!

Epee Em fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 15, 2013

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
And thus, the greatest addition to this year of MegaMan begins. I am honestly giddy at the thought of this Let's Play, and that first update entirely validated that.

Also I think that picture has to sum up half the franchise, doesn't it?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Seeing you two co-commentating together is going to be rather nice, and MissEchelon's pictures only make things all the better.

Looking forward to this. :munch:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Oh yes, this is going to be a blast! :allears:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Oh boy, this is going to be good. :munch: Can't wait to see how this will turn out with both you and Echelon in on it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

And thus, the greatest addition to this year of MegaMan begins. I am honestly giddy at the thought of this Let's Play, and that first update entirely validated that.

Also I think that picture has to sum up half the franchise, doesn't it?

Well it definitely sums up the good half, anyway.

As for the other half...

I'm so sorry* :negative:

*I'm not actually sorry

Edit: I've been looking forward to this LP ever since the idea was floated a while back. I loved the Battle Network LPs you both did so I'm really excited for this one. :allears:

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 15, 2013

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

quote:

:allears: This is basically how I respond whenever I have to get involved with Lan's friends. Since this is the last game to be archived, assuming I can actually finish a drat project anymore after the previous two failures, I'm tempted to ask baldurk to list "The Blink Animation" as a co-author when the time comes.

You're probably just overwhelmed with how delightful Lan's friends are. Totally not annoying at all!

I'm certainly amused by the Yin-Yang dynamic you two have going on. I guess we'll have to see if it survives to the end, or if one of you ends up assimilating the other.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Oh, man, Epee Em AND MissEchelon? This is going to be the best Battle Network LP ever. :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Epee Em, are you going to CONTROL TIME with youknowwhat (the best chip oh my good god :allears:)?

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
This was not what I expected when I checked the LP forum.

It's so much better :)

Godspeed, the both of you.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh yay, this is happening. Hopefully you won't burn out with all these co-LPs you're doing Epee Em.

Also I'm up for doing White version on the side if you guys want.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

HI FRIENDS I'm also here and excited for more MMBN! I probably wouldn't be able to do this without working with Epee Em due to laziness so hopefully with the power of ~FRIENDSHIP~ we can all get through this.

BlitzBlast posted:

Also I'm up for doing White version on the side if you guys want.

It'd be cool to see the version differences, for sure. I'm fine with you covering that, so it's up to Epee Em! I'm not sure what he was planning to do about that so y'know, whatever works.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So we're back to Battle Network. After all the semi-creepy friendship worshiping of Starforce, these guys are a breath of fresh air. Especially with the best game in this series for us all.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Ah, welcome back, Battle Network 3. Here's to hoping this thread is as crazy as the last megathread was.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
I think I'm obligated to post here giving my support to the project.

Mostly, my support in seeing what it does to you two.

Zeta Zetton
Nov 2, 2012
Oh boy, this is going to be fun. Maybe this will inspire me to finish up my play through of the series!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
This game is way cooler if you imagine all of the dialogue as the character's twitter posts.

TehDuke
Oct 17, 2012

Who am I?
What is happening?
Why is butterscotch?
Ooh. For whatever reason, this is the only Battle Network game I've played. I'm thinking I'll have to read the previous two LPs before I start on this one, if only so I can finally understand the little things I never understood... wow, 10 years ago? Either way, looking forward to this.

One last thing...

WARNING: INCOMING :japan:

The calligraphy is just the kanji for the word "dream", 夢. They're in elementary school, so hanging up and showing off that kind of stuff up is pretty common.

As for the NPC names... sorry to disappoint, but it looks like the names of the main four are the only readable ones, while any tiny, illegible sqiggles are NPC "names."

Dex's is second from the left on top, the one that has デカオ, Dekao, on it, which is apparently his Japanese name. I also have no idea what the hell "dekao" could possibly mean. The other ones are straight-up puns or something, but this one escapes me.

Yai's is fourth from the left on top - the one with やいと, Yaito, which is apparently her Japanese name.

Mayl's is first from the left on the bottom, メイル, which is basically the same as Mayl.

The third from the left on the bottom's is Lan's, the super-compressed 熱斗, Netto, which is his first name in the Japanese version. That's also how one would right Net in Japanese. Yep. :edi:

Credit to the Mega Man Wiki to actually providing the Japanese names. I wouldn't have known what in god's name a "dekao" was, and trying to guess Lan's tiny, slanted, GBA-res kanji name would've driven me mad.

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TehDuke posted:

WARNING: INCOMING :japan:
Dex's is second from the left on top, the one that has デカオ, Dekao, on it, which is apparently his Japanese name. I also have no idea what the hell "dekao" could possibly mean. The other ones are straight-up puns or something, but this one escapes me.

The third from the left on the bottom's is Lan's, the super-compressed 熱斗, Netto, which is his first name in the Japanese version. That's also how one would write Net in Japanese. Yep. :edi:

Maybe it's from the colloquial way of saying something is huge. It goes something like, "Dekee~", right? His little brother's name is "Chisao", from "chisai", so they probably match.

I do find it hilarious that the local idiot Lan writes his name in kanji. Complicated kanji, no less.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Anastasiya posted:

Maybe it's from the colloquial way of saying something is huge. It goes something like, "Dekee~", right? His little brother's name is "Chisao", from "chisai", so they probably match.
The actual word is "dekai", so yeah, it matches up exactly.

This LP will be such a blast. Since I hadn't read the BN1 LP before I read through all of it just to prepare for this one!

Sytakan
Jul 26, 2012

Ohyes.
Hnnnng I have been waiting for this one! I had no idea you two were going to team up, and almost missed it entirely! I tend to scan the threads by the author to see if anyone I recognize from the archives is making something new, (because I have no idea how to do a proper search for someone I like on SA. Seriously, if someone could clue me in on that, I'd appreciate it greatly.)

This is really great to see, too. I was getting really worried all my favorite LPers were stopping, especially after TheDarkID vanished and I stopped seeing things from you two for a bit.

Now, isn't this the one with the highest encounter rate? I seem to recall never being able to go more than a few steps without being sucked into a battle.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You'd think their PETs would have a phone function or something.

Sytakan
Jul 26, 2012

Ohyes.

Pureauthor posted:

You'd think their PETs would have a phone function or something.

They do, actually. I can't remember if they're ever used in THIS particular game, but I know they have them. I'm pretty sure you have a better chance of getting Chaud do smile than you do of getting anyone to use the phone function however.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TehDuke posted:

:japan: :words: on names.

Another :japan: bit for you: Hub's name in the Japanese version was "Saito", from the english word "Site". Net and Site. In comparison Lan and Hub is positively clever. Additionally "Hikari" means "Light" in Japanese, Lan's dad is literally Doctor Light (well sort of, more on that later).

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...
I have been waiting for this thread to appear. I absolutely LOVE the Battle Network series, MMBN2 being the first one I played after reading about MMBN1 in Nintendo Power.

Honestly the only thing that I'd say the White version of BN3 has over the Blue version is one thing that won't come up till like... a third of the way into the game. I'm gonna be following this thread so when it actually gets to that point, I'll probably mention it if nobody else manages to beat me to it.

Also, wasn't there technically three versions of BN3 in Japan? Like, there was the original two versions, then a third one that got ported over to the US as the Blue version or am I thinking of a different series/game altogether?

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Magnus Ragnar posted:

Also, wasn't there technically three versions of BN3 in Japan? Like, there was the original two versions, then a third one that got ported over to the US as the Blue version or am I thinking of a different series/game altogether?

I think it was just that Blue version was called Black in Japan.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Magnus Ragnar posted:

I think it's Pokemon you're thinking of. In Japan they started with Pokemon Red and Green, and then made Blue after with a bunch of changes and bugfixes. All the international versions were then based of the Pokemon Blue engine.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Minus Green posted:

As far as I know the Blue and Black versions are exactly the same. Not sure why they changed it for the american release though.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Minus Green posted:

Actually, the game originally was released in Japan as "Rockman.EXE 3" No version qualifier. Later it got an enhanced rerelease that was called "Rockman.EXE 3 Black". Both of these got released in other regions as the White and Blue versions repectively.

So playing White instead of Blue is like playing vanilla Persona 3 when FES is right there just as easy to pick and better in every way. It's not quite the Pokemon system of different versions, although there is some element of that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Epee Em AND MissEchelon doing a joint MMBN3 LP?! This is the best news ever! :buddy:

... also I promise not to accidentally drive Epee Em insane at the end and sour his love for the franchise like I did last time. I still feel terrible about that. :(

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Actually, the game originally was released in Japan as "Rockman.EXE 3" No version qualifier. Later it got an enhanced rerelease that was called "Rockman.EXE 3 Black". Both of these got released in other regions as the White and Blue versions repectively.

So playing White instead of Blue is like playing vanilla Persona 3 when FES is right there just as easy to pick and better in every way. It's not quite the Pokemon system of different versions, although there is some element of that.

THAT'S what I was thinking of, thank you. But that kinda doesn't explain Ground Style not being in Blue at all, since logically if Blue is the FES to White's vanilla P3, both Ground and Shadow styles would be in both versions. Does anyone know the reasoning behind that, or was it Capcom's attempt at pulling a Pokemon to get people to buy both versions of BN3?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

As far as I know the Blue and Black versions are exactly the same. Not sure why they changed it for the american release though.

Nope! There's Pocket Monsters Ao, Pocket Monsters Aka, and Pocket Monsters Midori. That's blue, red and green respectively.

No black. :eng101:

EDIT: wait, goddamn everything, you mean THIS game.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Wait what game are we playing now??

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like the dynamic of Epee Em giving legitimate information about the game and MissEchelon, who seems to just be along for the ride, just responding with "Hey, that person is our friend!" "Talk to the Mr. Prog!"

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yeah, the styles are different but they don't clash, instead they add to the MST3K-ish experience. We're barely into the game and I'm already loving this.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Magnus Ragnar posted:

THAT'S what I was thinking of, thank you. But that kinda doesn't explain Ground Style not being in Blue at all, since logically if Blue is the FES to White's vanilla P3, both Ground and Shadow styles would be in both versions. Does anyone know the reasoning behind that, or was it Capcom's attempt at pulling a Pokemon to get people to buy both versions of BN3?

It was most certainly the pokemon trick of getting people to play both versions. Remember that there are numerous differences between Blue and White versions, not just the one thing you highlighted. Even things as simple as Shop Inventories and Virus drops are different between Blue and White. There's really only one thing that Blue has that White doesn't, so maybe calling it an expanded rerelease like Persona 3 FES isn't the best explanation.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's two different versions of the same game which have Pokemon-like differences between each other. They both have their pros and cons, it's really down to personal preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
The dynamic MMBN duo back together at last! I can't wait for whatever wacky hijinks that Megaman.exe and Lan are up to this time! :allears:

• Locked thread