Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Applewhite posted:

Geez how many times do they have to do a reinterpretation of Ghost in the Shell's birth?
I've never seen it before so I thought that looked good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

FuriousGeorge posted:

God I hope this turns out good.

How well they did on Stranger Things gives me hope. They gotta give the show that "made in the 80's" vibe. I'm really hoping it looks like Blade Runner or Total Recall. I don't want a polished ultra holographic future where everything is an iphone.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

couldntt we at least get an outline of some lips here I mean COME on

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm excited for this, a cyberpunk movie that takes place at least partially during daylight.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I'm down for anything that gives a shot at a neon dystopia. Not every movie can be blade runner. The trailer made me crave a film adaptation of The Windup Girl though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

sinking belle posted:

I'm excited for this, a cyberpunk movie that takes place at least partially during daylight.

Elysium takes places almost entirely during the day.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Reminds me a lot of the Silent Hill movie from a decade ago.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Applewhite posted:

It is a much better introduction to freshman philosophy than Star Trek: TNG's season 2 episode "the measure of a man" which was actually shown to the class (over my objections).

Wait really?

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
http://i.imgur.com/eGWc4b2.gifv

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I hope this film's plot is more sense-making than SAC. I never understood what the hell was going on in that anime.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wait really?

Which part are you asking about?
I guess it doesn't matter because every part of my statement was true.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I think I'm going to be contrarian and say that ScarJo is still very attractive.

And also jumping through plate glass would cut you up something fierce.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Looks pretty, I'll wait for reviews before I go see it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Universe Master posted:

I think I'm going to be contrarian and say that ScarJo is still very attractive.

And also jumping through plate glass would cut you up something fierce.

She's a robit.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Applewhite posted:

She's a robit.

She plays robots a lot.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Universe Master posted:

She plays robots a lot.

Oh snap.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Universe Master posted:

She plays robots a lot.

:vince:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Any of y'all have the DVD version of the original with the audio that was a solid half a second or so delayed? Good times. :v:

Also lol at it looking like she's just straight jumping through that skyscraper window.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

drat, son, when those drums kick in

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
all things considered they really could have hosed things up more and the things that have been changed i can tell have been changed to make the themes of the movie more easy for the audience to understand

like at least they didn't drop the whole fake memories thing but instead they made it about The Major having fake memories? idk. whatever. its probably going to be an okay, not great but ok movie and scarlett will play a limp wristed, boring and weak version of the major to stay in line with us audiences

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Dennis System posted:

I hope this film's plot is more sense-making than SAC. I never understood what the hell was going on in that anime.

Memes man

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nigga crab pollock posted:

all things considered they really could have hosed things up more and the things that have been changed i can tell have been changed to make the themes of the movie more easy for the audience to understand

like at least they didn't drop the whole fake memories thing but instead they made it about The Major having fake memories? idk. whatever. its probably going to be an okay, not great but ok movie and scarlett will play a limp wristed, boring and weak version of the major to stay in line with us audiences

The decision to take her out of Section Nine was a huge blow to me.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
the least I'm expecting from this movie is Diet GITS (or Diet SAC), if I want the full japanimese experience I can just watch the original film and watch SAC and Arise because they each follow different storylines for some goddamn reason, so good luck following that.

I'm all for cool cyberpunk stories, but personally I'm starting to find stories of androids/cyborgs finding humanity and emotions a bit lame now. We've got real-life stories of people living with advanced prosthetic hands, arms, and legs. We can implant computer chips into our brains and fingers, so we can do credit card payments with just our fingers or thoughts, can we go further with those and make some unique cyberpunk stories?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
There was a Tokyo event that did a huge promo for the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpsfXLa2g-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4KUunW6vc0

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
why are there no sick spidertanks in the trailer :mad:

otoh seeing this made me google if there were plans for an akira live action movie and i found this trailer which is pretty awesome for a fanmade thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1GO-93Nt3c

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 14, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wow, this movie would be mind-blowing if it came out 20 years ago

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Das Butterbrot posted:

why are there no sick spidertanks in the trailer :mad:

Total dealbreaker.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
more like hermit crab in the shell, imo

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

This movie looks waaaaaaay better than Dragonball and what Death Note will be so I'm down.

Where are my spider tanks

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Death Note is being done by Adam Wingard tho

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Snooze Cruise posted:

Death Note is being done by Adam Wingard tho

I've never seen You're Next or The Guest, but after hearing how bad the Blair Witch remake turned out, I don't know if I even want to watch those now.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junior Jr. posted:

I've never seen You're Next or The Guest, but after hearing how bad the Blair Witch remake turned out, I don't know if I even want to watch those now.

You're Next was great

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Junior Jr. posted:

I haven't seen Blair Witch yet but those two movies are very very good and fun

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Guy Goodbody posted:

Wow, this movie would be mind-blowing if it came out 20 years ago

If there's nothing even remotely body horror like this, then it's all matrix-wannabe stuff: :nws: http://imgur.com/K7gDoVs :nws:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Wicker Man posted:

If there's nothing even remotely body horror like this, then it's all matrix-wannabe stuff: :nws: http://imgur.com/K7gDoVs :nws:

There's no way they'll have the guts to have a female main character mutilate herself in a major Hollywood release.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

If you google "motoko costplay" you can find 366.000 results with a better Motoko than the one this movie.

Anyway Motoko has never been the most interesting character in GiTS, imho. She is too much a Mari Sue to be interesting.

They probably should have made a more western-like movie, with unknown actors but better production values. Instead they probably are sinking half the budget in hiring a cool popular actress. I guest they aim at making a 6/10 movie.

Also, while GITS happens in Japan, is not the Japan of a World Fair with japanese themes and japanese decoration, is just your average modern city that happens to be japanese, but you can place GITS in any other big city in the world and nothing would have to be changed. The trailer make a huge effort to remind us that is a movie with japan stuff. Like we care. Is like when a Mexican movie *have* to show a group of mariachis, is culturally embarrasing they feel that they need to do that.

Tei fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 14, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
For those of you who recommended Gundam, I tried it once and a) robots with swords is somehow dumber than defeating the enemy with the power of jpop and b) who wants to watch a bunch of crybabies fight a war? 'boo hoo war is terrible!' lets talk about how it while wrecking poo poo in our giant robots!'

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

nigga crab pollock posted:

its probably going to be an okay, not great but ok movie and scarlett will play a limp wristed, boring and weak version of the major to stay in line with us audiences

this is my impression too.

i don't think scarjo was a good choice to play the major. scarjo always adds a level of sympathetic vulnerability to her characters, whereas the major come more across to me as hyper-competent and hyper-confident with few, if any, vulnerabilities.

she's basically confident enough to disregard orders, stare into the abyss, and then mind merge with a superconsciousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

EvilJoven posted:

For those of you who recommended Gundam, I tried it once and a) robots with swords is somehow dumber than defeating the enemy with the power of jpop and b) who wants to watch a bunch of crybabies fight a war? 'boo hoo war is terrible!' lets talk about how it while wrecking poo poo in our giant robots!'

Lol of course the subtleties of Gundam would fly over your gaiin head :smug:

• Locked thread