Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
i just assumed everyone loved fargo as much as me. it is the perfect movie.

never saw the show. is it connected at all to the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Fargo is great. A masterpiece.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

...and the pitch! posted:

Fargo is great. A masterpiece.

lonely awkward asian guy who tried to get with marge is my spirit animal

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Coen Bros movies POWER RANKINGS

GREAT
Fargo
No Country for Old Men
The Big Lebowski
Barton Fink
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Miller's Crossing

GOOD
A Serious Man
Raising Arizona
True Grit
Burn After Reading
Blood Simple

DECENT
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Hudsucker Proxy
Inside Llewyn Davis

EH
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers

I didn't see Hail Caesar yet.

Thank you for reading my list

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

The Landstander posted:

GREAT
Fargo
No Country for Old Men
The Big Lebowski
Barton Fink
Miller's Crossing

GOOD
A Serious Man
Raising Arizona
True Grit
Burn After Reading
Blood Simple

DECENT
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Hudsucker Proxy
Inside Llewyn Davis

EH
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers

a good post.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Yeah, Fargo was great and No Country for Old Men was mediocre.

mostly good opinions in this thread, like this one:

Das Boo posted:

Raising Arizona is a goddamn masterpiece and you all better be singing its praises from here on out.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

A misanthrope posted:

i just assumed everyone loved fargo as much as me. it is the perfect movie.

never saw the show. is it connected at all to the movie?

The show doesn't have any of the same characters or anything, I guess it maybe exists in the same universe as the movie, but not in any meaningful way. Season 1 feels kind of like if you asked someone who hadn't seen Fargo in 15 years to recall the events of the movie and expand them to 10 hours. Season 2 much more does its own thing and is quite a bit better imo.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

mighty fine cereal flakes, mrs. mcdonough

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
You're young and you have your health. What do you want with a job?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

It's the coehn brothers you moron

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

General Dog posted:

The only really good Coen Brothers movies are Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, The Hudsucker Proxy, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou, No Country For Old Man, and True Grit. Other than that they're just okay.

You forgot A Serious Man, The Man Who Wasn't There, and Burn After Reading. I haven't seen ILD or Hail Caesar so I can't comment there.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The Landstander posted:

GREAT
Fargo
No Country for Old Men
The Big Lebowski
Barton Fink
Miller's Crossing

GOOD
A Serious Man
Raising Arizona
True Grit
Burn After Reading
Blood Simple

DECENT
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Hudsucker Proxy
Inside Llewyn Davis

EH
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers

I'm okay with this, I'd put Hail Caesar in decent.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You forgot A Serious Man, The Man Who Wasn't There, and Burn After Reading. I haven't seen ILD or Hail Caesar so I can't comment there.

I didn't, but I wouldn't begrudge anybody who loves those.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

i think Raising Arizona belongs in the great category

also i don't think anyone saw Hail Ceaser

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I didn't see Raising Arizona until later in life and it just never clicked with me. I don't love Nic Cage so that might be a factor.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A misanthrope posted:

i think Raising Arizona belongs in the great category

also i don't think anyone saw Hail Ceaser

It's really fun, even if it kind of feels like a framework for the Coens to do a bunch of old Hollywood stuff they'd never had an excuse to do before (an Esther Williams-type choreographed swimming scene, an extended tap dance number, a Biblical epic, etc).

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 31, 2016

Lemon
May 22, 2003

The problem I had with Hail Ceaser is that I don't give a gently caress about dancing in movies and I don't see any way around it. Clooney in general and "would that it were so simple" almost made up for it.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Miller's Crossing is so incredible we should be making threads everyday just to talk about it. It's a matta of etics.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i thought no country for old men was pretty good and also thought the way it ended was pretty much the entire point of the movie?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

General Dog posted:

The show doesn't have any of the same characters or anything, I guess it maybe exists in the same universe as the movie, but not in any meaningful way. Season 1 feels kind of like if you asked someone who hadn't seen Fargo in 15 years to recall the events of the movie and expand them to 10 hours. Season 2 much more does its own thing and is quite a bit better imo.

There is a plot connection: rich dude in season 1 built his commercial empire on the ransom money from the movie which he randomly found in the snow.

The thematic connections are stronger, though; the overall plot of season 1 has similarities with the movie. Lester, what a loving rear end in a top hat.

Season 2 has Ted Danson who is only getting better with age.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
why did you watch a movie about folk singing if you didnt wanna watch a guy singing op?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Miller's Crossing is so incredible we should be making threads everyday just to talk about it. It's a matta of etics.

RIP Jon Polito

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

why did you watch a movie about folk singing if you didnt wanna watch a guy singing op?

Oh poo poo that's what I call a Gabriel BURNNNNNNNN

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Oh poo poo that's what I call a Gabriel BURNNNNNNNN

Marcia Gay Hardownnnnnnnned

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

applewhite i STILL cant believe you calle dhtem MARIO AND LUIGI!!!!!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Sister when I've raised hell you'll know it

One of the best line reads of all time.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I absolutely loved Inside Lewyn Davis. Plot-light movies with plenty of absurdism mixed with realism and some pathos really do it for me. heroin-addicted diabetic john goodman was amazing, and the ending really did it for me, justin timberlake was pretty hilarious actually, and the puffed-up professor friends who associate with him to make themselves feel more cultured were funny as well.

Just overall a great movie, although I don't disagree that it could be seen as lazy. Lazy in the best way.

To sum: sir, I disagree most fervently.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

It's made by the coens - I haven't seen it yet because of this but I'm close. Hail Caesar first.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

that sounds good i'll watch it at work tomorrow, since they making me work on new years day lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Finally? They've been doing it for years.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know lots of people like it but No Country stuck it's head up it's rear end and started inhaling it's own farts in the last 30 minutes.

I love out of nowhere deaths and sudden turns as much as the next guy, but I do not love a tense and awesome crime story turning into Tommy Lee Jones babbling on about his dreams trying to be "totally deep, man." It's like they couldn't come up with an ending so slapped that poo poo on there and people found it so pretentious they didn't dare say it sucked.

I literally went from preparing to recommend it to several people to just shaking my head.

Before anyone says that ending was good and had all kind of artistic meaning I'd like to ask a simple question: What is it people remember about this movie? Everything PRIOR to that? Yeah, because you'd be better off fast forewarding to the last 2 minutes after the hotel.

Grow up

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I had an ant on my screen earlier. I have been trained to be very chill about it by your previous av so it was kind of fun. It kind of went for the cursor bombs but mostly just went about her(?) business.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Finally? They've been doing it for years.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I did not like or understand Barton fink at all. Per usual, Goodman was good

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's made by the coens - I haven't seen it yet because of this but I'm close. Hail Caesar first.

i really like coen brothers movies too but never bothered with inside whatever davis cause movies about music people are usually pretty samey imo so you should know what to expect going in

i thought frank was pretty good tho

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

i saw that inside llewlyn davis or whatever had a homeless dude walking around with a cat and i knew i'd spend the whole movie worrying about the cat so i didnt see it

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

A misanthrope posted:

i saw that inside llewlyn davis or whatever had a homeless dude walking around with a cat and i knew i'd spend the whole movie worrying about the cat so i didnt see it
Cat's the best part, you missed it

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Cat's the best part, you missed it

ok but if that cat dies ima cry

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

it gets crushed by john goodman's massive hunk of a body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU