Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

unpacked robinhood posted:

I think the 2 can't refreeze on the ship because presumably it's complicated and they don't know/can't wake up whoever is competent to do it

They say in the movie it can't be done on board. Chris even says he checked all the storage and its full of plants seeds and tractors or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I think the ending of the movie should have been Chris Pratt dies saving the ship and Jlaw would be faced with the same choice to wake up someone up for companionship or spend the rest of her life alone and have the movie close with her looking at another capsule.

The twist I was hoping for is that JLAW discovers evidence that Chris Pratt had woken up someone else before, and that she was Plan B. Where was Plan A?
Mysteriously disappeared. Did she jump out of the airlock because she didn't want to live with him? Or did he throw her out because she grew tired of him.

Maybe we are left to wonder whether Chris Pratt was woken up by someone else, and went through the same thing as jlaw did as the "victim", but then chose to do it to her.

There were a lot more interesting directions to take the story than the one that the filmmakers chose.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

realbez posted:

My only moral objection to passengers is that it was bad and boring

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Here's something I learned recently : movies and songs are terrible places to take your personality cues from, since they're mostly full of narcissistic, borderline, schizoid mentally ill people dying for attention

It's like anyone who wants to be president : they're mentally sick

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

canyoneer posted:

There were a lot more interesting directions to take the story than the one that the filmmakers chose.

I'm willing to bet that it had a substantially different initial script that was edited because Hollywood (perhaps rightly) thinks audiences are dumb as gently caress.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Personally I thought it was going to turn out to be that the computers were running for too long and they were going to have to choose between killing themselves or let the computer slowly destroy itself.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I'm willing to bet that it had a substantially different initial script that was edited because Hollywood (perhaps rightly) thinks audiences are dumb as gently caress.

Probably

The original script for Passengers was written by Jon Spaihts in 2007, and had been in development hell for years.[10] At one point, the film was set to star Keanu Reeves and Emily Blunt,[11] with the production budget being a relatively low $35 million.[12] Brian Kirk was originally scheduled to make his feature directorial debut with the film, with Reeves in the lead.[13][14] On December 5, 2014, it was announced that Sony Pictures Entertainment had won the auction for the rights to the film.[15] In early 2015, Morten Tyldum was chosen to helm the film.[16] Tyldum had always wanted to do a massive sci-fi action movie, but also stressed the importance of a 'big guy' character-driven sci-fi film, rather than a cold and distant one.[8]

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Vakal posted:

Traveling through space to colonize another world is always an interesting subject due to the time and distance factors.

I remember reading a short story once, not sure where, that involved humans building a giant spaceship to take millions of their best and brightest people to go start a colony on another Earth-like planet.

So the colonists freeze themselves, make the journey which takes 100's of years, and land on their new planet only to find it already colonized by huge cities filled with humans more advanced than they were.

Eventually they figure out what happened. Turns out that while they were sleeping, the people back on Earth kept on inventing new poo poo and eventually created another giant spaceship with engines that were faster as the first one they built. So they sent out another group of colonists that actually beat the first group to the planet by like 50+ years.

So the story involved a group of now minority people who were way behind both technically and intellectually and were basically treated as dirty, dumb immigrants.

Why didn't the second group help the first group?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gaunab posted:

Why didn't the second group help the first group?

Right? Like why didn't they grab the first ship on the way?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
was it good?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
why would you wake up one moody writer when you could probably find a dozen or so skanks out of 5000 people

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I guess it is kind of sketchy what he did, but considering what I would have done (ejecting all the men and uglies while still frozen and then waking my new harem) I figure he gets a pass.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

I thought that the rayshielding cow catcher poo poo on the ship was cool

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lol look at the writers Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/jonspaihts/status/835918968267251712
No wonder the movie was dogshit

Woden
May 6, 2006

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

why would you wake up one moody writer when you could probably find a dozen or so skanks out of 5000 people

JLaw had the good food hook up.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm the 16 retweets

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Yeah, this would have been an objectively better movie

Chris Pratt and the 5,000 space-skanks

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Lol look at the writers Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/jonspaihts/status/835918968267251712

He's not wrong.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Is the theme song for the film "The Passenger" by Iggy Pop?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
not enough chris pratt rear end tbh

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
And it just now struck me that Passengers has almost but not quite the same premise as Red Dwarf and I'm laughing at the idea that Chris Pratt should have revived a jerk instead of a pretty girl because "Hell is an eternity with your friends."

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
andy garcia was the best part of this movie

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Elman posted:

I dunno man he was basically kidnapping her because he liked her and then loving her under false pretenses that's pretty skeevy.

If she didn't want that to happen she shouldn't have gotten on the ship in the first place.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Maldoror posted:

There is another movie called Passengers from 2008 with Anne Hathaway and Patrick Wilson. It is OK.

The ending scene from Alan Parker's 1984 movie Birdy is re-enacted in it. Watch for it!

Man, I loved Birdy. That scene where they take off with a pack of dogs is just great.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I think the ending of the movie should have been Chris Pratt dies saving the ship and Jlaw would be faced with the same choice to wake up someone up for companionship or spend the rest of her life alone and have the movie close with her looking at another capsule.

That sounds so much better than the actual ending.

Can we talk about the ending? It's really weird and dumb. They basically build the Garden of Eden on the ship and presumably their bones are festering someplace for the rest of the crew to discover

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
so are they going to have kids who are doomed to be alone until the other passengers wake up

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

he's right though :confused:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Professor SJW posted:

so are they going to have kids who are doomed to be alone until the other passengers wake up

The auto-doc had an abortion option.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Prat is Brit slang for dumbass

naem
May 29, 2011

I like Chris and Jen they're both super likable, and the spaceship stuff looked great like any big budget movie, but this movie was aimed at 12 year olds with an exactly 100 IQ. I felt weird watching it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I watched other space because it was marketed as red dwarf 2.0 it is actually much worse and should not be watched by anyone

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

naem posted:

I like Chris and Jen they're both super likable, and the spaceship stuff looked great like any big budget movie, but this movie was aimed at 12 year olds with an exactly 100 IQ. I felt weird watching it

This is exactly what I expected from the movie. It seems like a very cynical designed-by-committee reaction to recent popular sci-fi stuff like The Martian or Interstellar.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Chris Pratt butt was very nice

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

This is exactly what I expected from the movie. It seems like a very cynical designed-by-committee reaction to recent popular sci-fi stuff like The Martian or Interstellar.

The ending was better than Interstellar

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

a bone to pick posted:

wow applewhite has another poorly thought opinion

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

not a great ending though

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Torquemada posted:

I figured it slightly differently.

Chris and Jen need about 4000 calories of food a day total. Assume they have magic medicine and both live another 70 years, they need around 102,000,000 calories to keep themselves alive.

By the same metrics, 5000 people need 1,200,000,000 calories to survive a 4 month journey. They'd be light by 150 calories a day each from CP and JLaw eating all their munchies, or the equivalent of a good size banana, or 3 fingers of a Kit Kat.

thaw someone ugly once a week for some fresh long pork

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applewhite posted:

The man was taller than a dachshund

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I like how he's a mechanic but while falling in love with her frozen rear end he reads all her books and it makes him fall in love if he liked reading so much he wouldn't have wound up a mechanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Her volume of work consisted solely of erotic popup books

• Locked thread