Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

My favorite part about Pearson books/software is that you can get hosed on some online assignments by ridiculous poo poo like whether or not you've put a space after a formula by accident. Don't you loving dare mistype and leave a space after your equal sign, you piece of poo poo.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Yea this, also it is purposefully inconsistent and full of gotchya moments, like sometimes it will want answers written in a different format without making it obvious. Like one problem it'll ask for the x intercepts of f(x) as an ordered pair, and the next will ask the same but expect the answer as just the x value by itself without making it obvious that the required answer format is different. So I'll do the problem again, arrive at the same answer, and then mash enter out of frustration to see where I went wrong and it'll be like "Correct answer: 5" "Your answer: (5, 0)"

And this was the worst part of it all. MyMathLab (and the chem equivalent) was so anal about answers that both my professors applied blanket bonuses to homework assignments just to account for the horrific level of false flags and the high crime of don't knowing whatever the hell MML wanted the answer format in. Just googling my math lab brings in similar results.

Yeah whatever I guess ill die poor as a social science major. Anything over having to take college math courses again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

buglord posted:

And this was the worst part of it all. MyMathLab (and the chem equivalent) was so anal about answers that both my professors applied blanket bonuses to homework assignments just to account for the horrific level of false flags and the high crime of don't knowing whatever the hell MML wanted the answer format in. Just googling my math lab brings in similar results.

Yeah whatever I guess ill die poor as a social science major. Anything over having to take college math courses again.

I'm on MyMathLabs side of this. You suck at commas and your fingers are fat.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Dave_Indeed posted:

I'm on MyMathLabs side of this. You suck at commas and your fingers are fat.

Yea, owned

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Another time it asked for a horizontal asymptote and the correct answer was "y=0". The very next problem the horizontal asymptote was again 0, but "y=0" was incorrect, it just wanted "0".

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Lol at people taking basic math in college where the only part that matters is the number at the end.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

emoji posted:

Lol at people taking basic math in college where the only part that matters is the number at the end.

lol yea lollin at the people trying to relearn math and acquire skills to better themselves just fukkin lol m8

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Another time MML literally came to my house and poo poo in my mouth

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

emoji posted:

For some reason a lot of sports teachers taught math in grade school and everyone just considered it this "thing" that had to be done just to graduate. also like the only kids that were good at math were weird and smelled funny, and you deffo didnt wanna lose your spot on the middle school social ladder by being one of those people

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Kibbles n Shits posted:

lol yea lollin at the people trying to relearn math and acquire skills to better themselves just fukkin lol m8

Those classes don't actually teach math they're just for grifting people with gen ed math requirements.

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I heard that back in the 90's a bunch of would-be computer janitors had their text books for Microsoft's Java VM confiscated and the class was pulled and everybody got maced and now they can't do poo poo without asking Oracle permission

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

For some reason a lot of sports teachers taught math in grade school and everyone just considered it this "thing" that had to be done just to graduate. also like the only kids that were good at math were weird and smelled funny, and you deffo didnt wanna lose your spot on the middle school social ladder by being one of those people

Oh god, that definitely brings back memories of middle school algebra being taught by our mush mouthed basketball coach.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Oh god, that definitely brings back memories of middle school algebra being taught by our mush mouthed basketball coach.

We had dedicated math teachers in middle and high school

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
My 8th grade math teacher was a hippy with a ponytail that rode a bike to school every day. Ponytail hippies are the best math teachers.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Bareback Werewolf posted:

My 8th grade math teacher was a hippy with a ponytail that rode a bike to school every day. Ponytail hippies are the best math teachers.

Did he have an oversized ww2 light machinegun and/or a pistol the size of his thumbnail?

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

EorayMel posted:

Did he have an oversized ww2 light machinegun and/or a pistol the size of his thumbnail?

Not that I know of, no.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

An educated poor is a dangerous poor

this unironically

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Had an easily agitated and entirely incompetent algebra teacher in middle school. He had zero skill at teaching; if a student managed to get their raised hand acknowledged whilst he was busy reading from the textbook, he would just repeat himself until the student was frustrated or intimidated enough to pretend to understand.

Just about everyone that had him in 8th grade wound up having to start high school with remedial algebra classes.

During a high school reunion a bunch of us wound up talking about that fucker, and apparently a former student of his went on to be a bill collector. The bill collector by chance found himself on a phone call with said teacher wrt a late boat payment, (lol?) and offered him a simple payment arrangement in algebraic terms that grew exponentially. Believe it or not, teach agreed and wound up losing his boat.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Antlers posted:

Had an easily agitated and entirely incompetent algebra teacher in middle school. He had zero skill at teaching; if a student managed to get their raised hand acknowledged whilst he was busy reading from the textbook, he would just repeat himself until the student was frustrated or intimidated enough to pretend to understand.

Just about everyone that had him in 8th grade wound up having to start high school with remedial algebra classes.

During a high school reunion a bunch of us wound up talking about that fucker, and apparently a former student of his went on to be a bill collector. The bill collector by chance found himself on a phone call with said teacher wrt a late boat payment, (lol?) and offered him a simple payment arrangement in algebraic terms that grew exponentially. Believe it or not, teach agreed and wound up losing his boat.

Haha, all the dumb losers that couldn't learn something by just reading the book banded together to get revenge on an older loser they unjustly blame their problems on.

He really hosed you out of engineering school pal. Haha what a stupid piece of poo poo op hehe, lol.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I had a professor that uploaded our book on blackboard in pdfs. Fuckin sweet. Thanks!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

emoji posted:

There are online homework systems used for upper level math courses too, but obviously they aren't set up for you to key in

y^2 e^(x y) sin(x - y) - e^(x y) sin(x - y) + 2 y e^(x y) cos(x - y)

So instead they reformulate the questions as d^2/dx^2 at (pi/4, 0).

Anyway Webwork is pretty good these days as far as that kind of poo poo goes. It can be set up to provide hints, tell a student stuff like "Expected a vector, you entered what looks like a point", tell them which parts of a multipart entry are incorrect, etc. It's also open source and doesn't cost much. The issue is that Webwork doesn't provide kickbacks to professors or colleges like Pearson does, so you only find it here and there from especially principled professors.

I did bang a Community College professor when she was visiting Vegas who has lots of classes full of adult men with flashcards though, but hey, that's what you get singing on for one of those jobs.

buglord posted:

It's because they were the only men working in the gradeschool ~~~~

raton fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 20, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Antlers posted:

There are such things as bad teachers, of course, but every bit of math I learned from maybe 7th grade on was learned by staring at the book and doing problems. Teachers have mostly been helpful in winnowing down the material in the book to what they thought mattered most and occasionally reminding me of connections to stuff from earlier on (or in the future) that I'd have glossed over. Giving someone your shortcuts or ways of thinking about something rarely help because they're hard to internalize.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I've only had one class in my whole 4-year college experience that did that, and it was because it was a math course that had the dumb online software thing attached to it like a parasite. It's probably more common in bigger schools with high attendance or in more urban areas (as opposed to suburban, where I live).

I want to a JC in a CA suburb, and many times the book cost more than tuition for the course.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
some colleges get pearson or whatever to make a special version just for their campus/institution, which is usually the same thing with an intentionally obfuscated ISBN number and a bunch of words shifted around from the normal "retail" version. one time I saw that it was just a modified cover.

but yeah, the system is totes legit.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I had math professors who made things clear as can be and easily explained and math professors who I could not understand and really no one could understand and if it wasn't for the TA who was awesome I would not have known what the gently caress was going on. Guy would write small on the board and stand in front of it so you could not see then erase from the town down for each new problem. Favorite math teacher was super chill Buddhist who went to people he knew were having issues and worked with them to get it right.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

some colleges get pearson or whatever to make a special version just for their campus/institution, which is usually the same thing with an intentionally obfuscated ISBN number and a bunch of words shifted around from the normal "retail" version. one time I saw that it was just a modified cover.

but yeah, the system is totes legit.

It's usually the full book with a single chapter removed.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dave_Indeed. I have no idea why, but you are one of my favorite posters.

Also, gently caress the textbook industry. Did I mention that already? Because gently caress them.

One of my programming instructors wasn't having any of that textbook poo poo so he had us just buy a book on Perl which was like 1,000 pages and $30. The school wanted the textbooks and he didn't care. He also asked me to drop the class and come work for him. Like an idiot, I did not.

I guess the whole punishment of this was that we had to learn Perl.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Fallorn posted:

I had math professors who made things clear as can be and easily explained and math professors who I could not understand and really no one could understand and if it wasn't for the TA who was awesome I would not have known what the gently caress was going on. Guy would write small on the board and stand in front of it so you could not see then erase from the town down for each new problem. Favorite math teacher was super chill Buddhist who went to people he knew were having issues and worked with them to get it right.

I signed up for college algebra, didn't pay attention and got a Rush course thing that ends on the mid-term for normal classes.

The professor was chinese and could not speak fluent english

He used pearson but he didn't just lean on the book, he taught his own thing.

So it was an actual nightmare until I found outside help.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
did you guys know that there's WebWork for fuckin' Galois Theory

like, why.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvpsYnRssqI

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I had an algebra professor who was basically Doc Brown. He was the most eccentric genius. His class involved going over a certain formula or some sort of topic for about 15 minutes. He broke everything down so simply that you would have to be actively trying to not learn to not get it. Then he would go around the room and personally sit next to every single person while they were working and helped guide them through it. He'd pick just a handful of homework questions that he felt were the best, like.... 10 of them... and away we went. At the end of the semester, he talked to everyone about their grade personally. He sat next to me and said "So, what do you think your grade should be?" I was taken aback but he was dead serious. I actually had to think about it. I figured that I came to every class, I did all of the work, and did very well. So I said that I possibly maybe might perhaps deserve a 4.0. He was like "Yeah, that's what I thought too." I got a 4.0.

I googled him later and found out that he was a pioneer of virtual reality in the 80s and had an insanely prestigious record of doing all sorts of poo poo.

This was at a technical school. He was teaching algebra just because he liked it.

Best.... loving.... teacher.... ever in my entire life. I wish I remembered his name. That right there was an awesome human being.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 20, 2017

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
serious post: lmao if your professor does not begin with a lecture on how to NOT pirate the textbook for this class, for example, NOT going to a certain URL

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Art and film textbooks own. The Animator's Survival Kit is great as a read on its own (it's mostly pictures).

Arrhythmia posted:

serious post: lmao if your professor does not begin with a lecture on how to NOT pirate the textbook for this class, for example, NOT going to a certain URL

my foreign film teacher had The Pirate Bay in his bookmarks bar

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Arrhythmia posted:

did you guys know that there's WebWork for fuckin' Galois Theory

like, why.

Pretty sure that just means an enterprising professor did some WW questions at some point and then enabled them to be shared. In any case WebWork is actually good so it's good to have WW on Galois Theory.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Putty posted:

Art and film textbooks own. The Animator's Survival Kit is great as a read on its own (it's mostly pictures).

my foreign film teacher had The Pirate Bay in his bookmarks bar

If you want to show any soviet era stuff from mosfilm with English subtitling you basically have to find pirated copies and unofficial translations

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I haven't been in school for 11 years but I wouldn't mind getting a couple new biostat books. Springer pretty much owns that market, among many others.

Does anyone know how SpringerLink works for university students/staff/etc.? Can you actually get the whole book free? Or are there some limitations?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

actionjackson posted:

Does anyone know how SpringerLink works for university students/staff/etc.? Can you actually get the whole book free? Or are there some limitations?

It's just a regular rear end .pdf of the book.

e: I mean, maybe don't be handing it out to every Tom Dick and Harry who asks you but I doubt Springer's roving copy-right death-cops will break down your door because you kept a copy of Riemannian Geometry on your hard drive after graduation.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 20, 2017

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

spud posted:

I am at a local community college studying history and philosophy

lol

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Yes extremely liberal colleges that are full of pretentious staff are still treating their students like customers.

Making millions from tuition and millions from sports all while pretending to be leftists who have a moral superiority to the non college educated.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

the worst ones are the classes that require a textbook and base their homework off the questions in the book, so you have no choice but to buy the current edition and everything. all they do between editions of the book is scramble the questions.

loving hate that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Bodyholes posted:

the worst ones are the classes that require a textbook and base their homework off the questions in the book, so you have no choice but to buy the current edition and everything. all they do between editions of the book is scramble the questions.

loving hate that

that's like the whole stem field

• Locked thread