Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah maybe he should have thought about that before he murdered literally dozens of people. I'm sure his accommodations are fine.
He totally destroyed the bodies of literally thousands of pure blooded nordisk white children with insane amounts of anti muslim bullets, bombs, magic spells, and viking style cleaves of the sword. as punishment he is confined to a room and only has video games to entertain himself. the punishment fits the crime, as they say.

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

if his plan was to kill all the white children so they go to viking heaven before they get converted into muslimists, He Succeeded.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Wizchine posted:

It means the whole "martyr" idea is dumb and shouldn't be used an excuse to prevent his execution.

Nothing's going to "prevent" his execution because there's no death penalty. And you're wrong, he'd absolutely become a martyr.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Grevling posted:

Nothing's going to "prevent" his execution because there's no death penalty. And you're wrong, he'd absolutely become a martyr.
Man...if they make this guy into a martyr for norwegian white nationalists they'll massacre the rest of the white children in no time.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

He's already a living martyr

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kleen_TheRacistDog posted:

I'm counting the days until he's released. He's basically Europe's last hope at this point. All of his predictions are coming true. He'll be like a better version of Nelson Mandela - released from prison and triumphantly take his throne.

He'll get released??? What the gently caress?

I can admire a country that uses prison for rehabilitation, but some people don't need to get out.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

It's very important that we rehabilitate this dude who killed 70 kids

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I imagine they're going to extend his sentence indefinitely.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Breivik was really the worst-case scenario when it comes to a "lone wolf" terrorist. Totally insane but he also did a great deal of planning and he basically did what he set out to accomplish, which was a gruesome and pathetic murder spree targeting defenseless kids. In terms of terrorists he was about as bad as they get.

Grevling posted:

Yep.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah maybe he should have thought about that before he murdered literally dozens of people. I'm sure his accommodations are fine.

oh gently caress yeah theyre more than fine. he deserves the american prison system

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Him changing his name fits with the profile of these guys as basically adopting a role and a character that eventually devours the fragmented, broken ego that used to exist. I call it Tyler Durdening. Breivik was Tyler Durdening all over the place. I guess he hasn't changed much.

I've posted about this before but with mass shooters, terrorists, etc. they are essentially "acting" in a really extreme way. Hence why so many will take pictures of themselves posing with weapons and having cold, dead stares. It's like a really obscene form of LARPing. The Charleston shooter, who was this kid with a bowl haircut from South Carolina, became "the last Rhodesian." His "heroic" guerrilla war involved executing elderly people in a church. The loser virgin Elliot Rodger believed he was transforming into a warrior god -- his actions amounted to murdering his roommates and going on a drive-by shooting spree.

Breivik created an entire RPG sourcebook-style "manifesto" detailing a fictional Christian nationalist state -- complete with uniforms, which he designed himself -- that is supposed to take over Europe several decades from now. He also believed his actions were a necessary precondition for it to happen; an apocalyptic act that is self-destructive but also a form of personal transformation.

The psychology behind that is the freakiest part to me. Breivik's actions followed an internal kind of logic, though while delusional, isn't a schizo kind of insanity. He was able to plan and implement his crimes in a "rational," calculated manner and feel really good while doing it -- probably better than at any point in his entire life. He was apparently repeatedly saying "oh wow" to himself as he shot people.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Fartbox posted:

He's already a living martyr

The only way to prevent his martyrdom is to break him as a person. No one can consider him a hero once there's a non-stop stream of footage of him breaking down like a bitch, apologizing to every single victim by name, and confessing to attempting suicide multiple times.

Back in the day, they let researchers try insanely invasive forms of psychotherapy on murderers. It never worked on a small minority class of criminals they called psychopaths, but for everyone else, it hosed them up good.

Just get Brevik a work permit and quietly drive him by my Uncle's moose ranch out near Töcksfors. Between the psychotropics we make in the old barn and the electric prod we call The Empathizer, I'm convinced in four days tops, we can have him sobbing for the rest of his life

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Kleen_TheRacistDog posted:

I'm counting the days until he's released. He's basically Europe's last hope at this point. All of his predictions are coming true. He'll be like a better version of Nelson Mandela - released from prison and triumphantly take his throne.
Hes going to brutally murder all of the white race once he gets out, and extinguish the root of western civilization forever. He will claim his throne at the head of mongolic neo nazis who will stomp out the last remaining light of european accomplishment.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Caufman posted:

Just get Brevik a work permit and quietly drive him by my Uncle's moose ranch out near Töcksfors. Between the psychotropics we make in the old barn and the electric prod we call The Empathizer, I'm convinced in four days tops, we can have him sobbing for the rest of his life
alternatively just fake some footage of him apologizing and whatever and stuff the real guy down the garbage disposal.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

a hole-y ghost posted:

alternatively just fake some footage of him apologizing and whatever and stuff the real guy down the garbage disposal.

We're definitely willing to do that at no extra cost if our logos-torture-therapy doesn't work. And it's not a guarantee that it will.

But man oh man, when it works, it does not disappoint. Take a goon, an adult who cannot function due to their own self-nurtured self-hatred. Now imagine that same person with something actually lovely to feel bad about. You cannot believe the levels of pathetic you will see.

And then we can still "accidentally" drop in the moose chipper.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
He is a terrible human being.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Caufman posted:

We're definitely willing to do that at no extra cost if our logos-torture-therapy doesn't work. And it's not a guarantee that it will.

But man oh man, when it works, it does not disappoint. Take a goon, an adult who cannot function due to their own self-nurtured self-hatred. Now imagine that same person with something actually lovely to feel bad about. You cannot believe the levels of pathetic you will see.

And then we can still "accidentally" drop in the moose chipper.

you sound like a real winner

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
actually if you read up on his prison situation hes not living comfortably, ps2 or not. hes essentially locked in a cell 23 hours a day with no inmate contact, his only socialization is with the guards and a military chaplain twice a month. hes doing extremely hard time

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

the great deceiver posted:

actually if you read up on his prison situation hes not living comfortably, ps2 or not. hes essentially locked in a cell 23 hours a day with no inmate contact, his only socialization is with the guards and a military chaplain twice a month. hes doing extremely hard time

Part of the conservative american paradigm is that "liberal" countries that don't have the death penalty are soft on crime. They fail to mention that their incarceration / crime rates are also way lower. Doesn't matter... because they're a bunch of loving pussies lol!

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Lemon posted:

you sound like a real winner

Nothing doing, sir! Just a real sinner.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

a hole-y ghost posted:

Hes going to brutally murder all of the white race once he gets out, and extinguish the root of western civilization forever. He will claim his throne at the head of mongolic neo nazis who will stomp out the last remaining light of european accomplishment.

He will be rehabilitated by 21 years of intensive psychotherapy and be released as a happy, functioning human being and then open a daycare facility focused on diversity and integrating immigrant children from poor socio-economic backgrounds. All the kids will be on a first name basis with him.

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Grevling posted:

Thats against human rights to arbitarily extend prison sentences, maybe he should complain about that instead of his ps3

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Take all the mass shooters, give them guns and parachute them onto Mass Shooter Island way out in the middle of the ocean somewhere.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

a hole-y ghost posted:

Man...if they make this guy into a martyr for norwegian white nationalists they'll massacre the rest of the white children in no time.

Hm good point let's fry this turkey

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

moose face posted:

Part of the conservative american paradigm is that "liberal" countries that don't have the death penalty are soft on crime. They fail to mention that their incarceration / crime rates are also way lower. Doesn't matter... because they're a bunch of loving pussies lol!

I doubt theres a direct causative relationship, though. They probably have less crime because they have more social cohesion, better income equality, and less of an immobile underclass. Because there's less crime, people don't feel the need for harsher punishments.

As Europe continues to deteriorate on these fronts, expect them to become more like us

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Just loling at all the people itt who think that the best way to react to a man who declared a one one man war on Scandinavian liberal humanist values is to abandon those values by reinstituting the death penalty. That'll show him.

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.
I guess it doesnt really matter which name this little fucktwit has, since he will never be a free man anyway

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
The punishment vs. rehabilitation argument misses the point. I'd say the primary function of prison should be to protect the public from convicted criminals. Whether punishment or rehabilitation is chosen should be based on experience and research evidence as to which practice (or combination of practices) ultimately prevents future crime. In cases where the horrific nature of the crime (such as mass or serial murder) creates such a public safety concern that lifetime imprisonment seems reasonable and likely, one could argue for a prison environment more on the punishment end of the spectrum for increased deterrence. The counterargument would be that you open up a can of worms by instilling elements of the system with a nonuniform sense of justice. There is also the fact that the justice system is not perfect so a given percentage of prisoners are actually not guilty of the crimes they were convicted for. The need for deterrence via punishment must be weighed against the human rights of this small percentage.

I think one of the most critical unknowns at this point (to me anyways) is statistical evidence on the level of deterrence yielded by various forms of sentencing. I've heard second hand that there is evidence that the death penalty is not an effective deterrent. If this is in fact the best evidence we have then it would be reasonable to say that the death penalty should be abolished for the sake of the percentage of people on death row who slipped through the cracks and are actually not guilty.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Criminals need to be punished at least a bit in order to prevent vigilante retribution by angry victims and their families.

Tofuslob
Jul 9, 2013

MK Ultra could provide a decent guide to helping rehabilitate fash like Breivik.

Sensory deprivation + research chemicals for a few years and he'd be totally safe to release back into society (as a vegetable)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I doubt theres a direct causative relationship, though. They probably have less crime because they have more social cohesion, better income equality, and less of an immobile underclass. Because there's less crime, people don't feel the need for harsher punishments.

As Europe continues to deteriorate on these fronts, expect them to become more like us

Naaaaaah, there is a very well established causal relationship between bad prison conditions and recidivism. The only argument for harsher punishment(beyond a reasonable minimum amount) are the hurt little feelings of the victims and the public. Beyond that it's a really bad idea and hurts everyone, including those victims and the public.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Criminals need to be punished at least a bit in order to prevent vigilante retribution by angry victims and their families.

Nah, just have society begin and end with family being as far as loyalty and civility extends.

I imagine it will be something like Dune, with house wars.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Randarkman posted:

This is not Sweden you poo poo.

Aw is da widdle reindeer man mad

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

Thats against human rights to arbitarily extend prison sentences, maybe he should complain about that instead of his ps3

You're right, I mean, who hasn't mass murdered at least once in their life? I give him the benefit of the doubt, too bad the establishment won't.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Is it not actually more humane to put the villain down than to lock him in a tiny box for the rest of his life?

makes u thifjnk

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I was expecting Nazi McFuckface but good on ya, buddy

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Fartbox posted:

What the heck is the point of keeping this monster alive

Just so you can feel morally superior? Just off him and don't waste anymore money on keeping him breathing
The issue is not Breivik. The issue is when you start making exceptions your legal system is irrevocably changed and I don't think Breivik is important enough to break what seems to be a pretty well working system by all accounts.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Elukka posted:

The issue is not Breivik. The issue is when you start making exceptions your legal system is irrevocably changed and I don't think Breivik is important enough to break what seems to be a pretty well working system by all accounts.
also he's not going to hurt anyone while hes locked up like a speedrunners dick

if anyone thinks that the US death penalty is "more efficient" or "cheaper" I'm sorry, but you'll have to look into other countries with much more cost effective death penalties, like China or Yemen.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

moose face posted:

I live in Ireland and we have a fairly liberal justice system and it is loving poo poo and causes a bunch of problems in society.

The cops actually do a pretty good job despite some recent scandals but once cases get to court it is an absolute poo poo show. Murder charges are routinely bumped down to manslaughter (7-8 year sentence) because a murder charge is ridiculously hard to make stick here as judges will try their damnedest to find "mitigating circumstances" because they think anyone who has committed a serious crime is a poor unfortunate downtrodden type.

Also, our life sentence works out at about 17 years on average. We routinely have people with triple digit priors who are only in their 20s getting bail rather than a custodial sentence and then committing serious offences within days, if not hours of release. You can commit multiple offences and your sentences will run concurrently meaning you are really only getting sentenced for the "worst" one.

People have straight up stone-cold killed someone in this country and are back walking the streets in 6ish years because they were drunk/high when they did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

spudsbuckley posted:

I live in Ireland and we have a fairly liberal justice system and it is loving poo poo and causes a bunch of problems in society.

The cops actually do a pretty good job despite some recent scandals but once cases get to court it is an absolute poo poo show. Murder charges are routinely bumped down to manslaughter (7-8 year sentence) because a murder charge is ridiculously hard to make stick here as judges will try their damnedest to find "mitigating circumstances" because they think anyone who has committed a serious crime is a poor unfortunate downtrodden type.

Also, our life sentence works out at about 17 years on average. We routinely have people with triple digit priors who are only in their 20s getting bail rather than a custodial sentence and then committing serious offences within days, if not hours of release. You can commit multiple offences and your sentences will run concurrently meaning you are really only getting sentenced for the "worst" one.

People have straight up stone-cold killed someone in this country and are back walking the streets in 6ish years because they were drunk/high when they did it.

*tweets "I think maybe we should reconsider this completely unchecked flood of middle eastern refu-"* *is interrupted by sound of cops kicking in door*

• Locked thread