Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

hamtaro posted:

"and slash or" -- a phrase only an rear end in a top hat would say

You don't say the slash out loud, plebe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Unthaw

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I worked with a lady that used ideal in place of idea.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

Mammal Sauce posted:

I worked with a lady that used ideal in place of idea.

holy christ

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

nuke-yuh-lur

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
"Nice meltdown"

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

snowflake

and oval office

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

WatermelonGun posted:

"Nice meltdown"

Nice you get the ideal.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I hate it when people use impact as a verb.

I also really hate it when people misuse, and mix up affect and effect.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

My grandmother is from Maryland and she pronunces water "wooder"
My girlfriend pronounces a bunch of words weird. Southeren, Northeren, Walgrens, nukular, irrevelant.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I could care less
irregardless

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kenzie posted:

Using autism as a generic insult. Like "autist" or whatever

Sorry about your autism.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
"adorable" when used passive aggressively.

Memes in general. Tumblr memes like "I'm so tired" and "it costs exactly zero dollars to (do what I say)", racist memes I encounter too often, buzzwords of all political varieties... Using this poo poo is basically saying just signaling which in crowd you want points from and aren't actually trying to reach or engage anyone.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Also, a lot of people say "conscience" when they mean "consciousness."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Since moving to the Northeast I hear the positive anymore a lot and it drives me nuts. They'll use it where normal people would use something like "nowadays", like "seems like these lawnmowers have gotten expensive anymore"

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm so loving mad right now.

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
The people at my work refer to a cookout or BBQ as a "burger burn" and I swear to god every time I hear it I wish that everyone involved in the operation is engulfed in flames.

They also say "tasker" instead of "task" like, "please take care of that tasker the boss sent out, it's due by C.O.B today."

One of my coworkers says "however, comma..." and it's spreading.

Also anytime some one says "What happened was" there is always a god damned pause and a smug loving grin like they are some comedic genius.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Awesomesauce

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
When people say acronyms or abbreviations out loud that are more syllables than it would be to say the words the acronym represents. For example, "Gee Ess Doubleyou to the chest" in police/detective shows.

Also, when people make contractions of acronyms to say out loud, that become words that mean something else that isn't the thing, eg. pronouncing "SQL" as "sequel" - why not "squill", that's one less syllable and doesn't imply that it's a thing that followed from something else. Or squirrel, that's still two syllables and is much more fun than sequel.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
A bunch of my co-workers will address each other with Mr. <First name>.

Mr. Tim.

Mr. Chris.

Mr. Richard.

loving STOP IT.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Pretty much any word or phrase that was born on the internet should loving stay there. Same goes for video games. I swear to god I consider braining myself with a hammer every time I hear somebody say WTF or LOL out loud, or loving pwned.

Ugh...some loving nerd saying "poned" makes me wanna beat the piss out of them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PyroDwarf posted:

Why would anyone say the comma? Like how would that even occur to someone as a thing to say?

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010

chumbler posted:

Why would anyone say the comma? Like how would that even occur to someone as a thing to say?

I don't know, it must be from a movie or a comedian. It is spreading and it's annoying every time.

Also: "footstomp" "piggyback"

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Munchables posted:

My grandmother is from Maryland and she pronunces water "wooder"
My girlfriend pronounces a bunch of words weird. Southeren, Northeren, Walgrens, nukular, irrevelant.

uggh uggh uggh I absolutely can't stand hearing people pronounce compass directions like that. Northeren, easteren, westeren, southeren.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
My Latino co-workers use the plural for vacation, because that's how it is in Spanish (vacaciones). I.e., "I'm going on vacations next week."

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013
"So satisfying" in reference to something being symmetrical/fitting together. What?

Any time I'm not referred to as daddy

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PyroDwarf posted:

The people at my work refer to a cookout or BBQ as a "burger burn" and I swear to god every time I hear it I wish that everyone involved in the operation is engulfed in flames.

I've never heard this one before but I'm suddenly irrationally angry.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Apparently only a few people on Earth know the difference between the words "purposely" and "purposefully" and it drives me insane for some reason. Everyone seems to default to using "purposefully" I guess because it has more syllables, except it's the wrong word 99% of the time.

Idiots think they're being smart and grammatically correct by using "I" in place of "me" whenever there's another party involved, despite not being the subject of the sentence or clause. "My dad gave a present to my brother and I." No you piece of poo poo, it's "my brother and me" because you're still the object and you wouldn't say "My dad gave a present to I" if your brother weren't involved.

"How are you doing?" "I'm well." Great, you might be well, but they didn't ask about your health; they asked about your general well being. Tell them that you are good, not well.

"Preggers" in reference to a pregnant woman. I don't know why but this one grosses me out a lot. Something about using a playful/childish shortening of a word for an exclusively adult biological condition really strikes me as weird.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 30, 2017

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
mind you

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Devils Affricate posted:

Idiots think they're being smart and grammatically correct by using "I" in place of "me" whenever there's another party involved, despite not being the subject of the sentence or clause. "My dad gave a present to my brother and I." No piece of poo poo, it's "my brother and me" because you're still the object and you wouldn't say "My dad gave a present to I" if your brother weren't involved.

Yeah, this is an easy test for it, always works well for me.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

Yeah, this is an easy test for it, always works well for me.

Works well for I*

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013

Devils Affricate posted:

Apparently only a few people on Earth know the difference between the words "purposely" and "purposefully" and it drives me insane for some reason. Everyone seems to default to using "purposefully" I guess because it has more syllables, except it's the wrong word 99% of the time.

Idiots think they're being smart and grammatically correct by using "I" in place of "me" whenever there's another party involved, despite not being the subject of the sentence or clause. "My dad gave a present to my brother and I." No you piece of poo poo, it's "my brother and me" because you're still the object and you wouldn't say "My dad gave a present to I" if your brother weren't involved.

"How are you doing?" "I'm well." Great, you might be well, but they didn't ask about your health; they asked about your general well being. Tell them that you are good, not well.

"Preggers" in reference to a pregnant woman. I don't know why but this one grosses me out a lot. Something about using a playful/childish shortening of a word for an exclusively adult biological condition really strikes me as weird.

brother wasn't involved*
I'm sorry

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Kitsunegari posted:

brother wasn't involved*
I'm sorry

This isn't about me. It's about everyone else.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

PyroDwarf posted:

They also say "tasker" instead of "task" like, "please take care of that tasker the boss sent out, it's due by C.O.B today."

Also anytime some one says "What happened was" there is always a god damned pause and a smug loving grin like they are some comedic genius.

Your coworkers wouldn't happen to be military or ex-military, would they?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jay_Zombie posted:

When people omit "to be" from a sentence.
Like "The dog needs let outside", or "The car needs washed".

I've noticed it seems to be mostly people from Pennsylvania that I notice this with, so maybe it's a dialect thing.

I might be misremembering but I believe this has some origin in the fact that a ton of Pennsylvanian immigrants spoke German and that language not having a concept of the verb "to be" but a linguist should correct me on this. As a person who grew up there I recall having to be taught this and it still takes some active listening to parse the omission as incorrect

E: actually just looked it up and it's a Scotch-Irish thing maybe?

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 30, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
That thing "woke" people do on social media or on here where they post "shot:" then a news story or whatever then "chaser:" followed by another thing. It's dumb.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That thing "woke" people do on social media or on here where they post "shot:" then a news story or whatever then "chaser:" followed by another thing. It's dumb.

I have no idea what youre talking about

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Snorkzilla posted:

I also hate when the word meal is pronounced "mill".

that's prevalent in utah, i've noticed. there's a tendency to shift [i:l] to [ɪl] and [eɪl] to [ɛl]

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Devils Affricate posted:

That's funny, my dad has the exact opposite annoyance. Because they asked about your well-being, not about your ethics or D&D alignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
when I wanna make some people groan, I say "I'm going to get some pop" when I get a soda refill.

• Locked thread