Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Navin Johnson posted:

Invaded? Do tell.

They were part of Mexico. The USA invaded Mexico.

It's hardly a secret. I think some poo poo called Manifest Destiny was used to excuse imperialist expansion and genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

General China posted:

What about the Mexicans born in New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming before the US invaded?

And the Mexicans born in those states afterwards?

wtf are you getting on about?

If they were born in the US then they are American. If they want to say they are Mexican American then cool. We all celebrate our nationality here. I'm Irish American. Am I from Ireland? No. But my whole family is of Irish decent. That's a thing we have in the US that most other countries don't since we are a nation of immigrants. A lot of us our proud of where our ancestors came from. I wouldn't be upset if you didn't understand that.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

General China posted:

It's hardly a secret. I think some poo poo called Manifest Destiny was used to excuse imperialist expansion and genocide.

Are you 100% British? Perhaps you're part Roman when they occupied your country. Are you Scottish, Welsh, English, Irish? Are you just a Citizen of the United Kingdom? Do you know 100% of what your DNA is?

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

wtf are you getting on about?

If they were born in the US then they are American. If they want to say they are Mexican American then cool. We all celebrate our nationality here. I'm Irish American. Am I from Ireland? No. But my whole family is of Irish decent. That's a thing we have in the US that most other countries don't since we are a nation of immigrants. A lot of us our proud of where our ancestors came from. I wouldn't be upset if you didn't understand that.

So you can only be proud if you're an immigrant? What about slaves or the aboriginals. Or the people living in Mexico before you invaded?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

General China posted:

i, uh, that was like 170 years ago dude i'm pretty sure anybody born in new mexico during the mexican-american war doesn't care what country they have citizenship in today

that said the us has historically set a cutoff date of birth for retroactive citizenship post-acquisition

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

The White Dragon posted:

i, uh, that was like 170 years ago dude i'm pretty sure anybody born in new mexico during the mexican-american war doesn't care what country they have citizenship in today

that said the us has historically set a cutoff date for retroactive citizenship post-acquisition

That's because they are all dead now. I imagine they were slightly annoyed at the time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

General China posted:

So you can only be proud if you're an immigrant? What about slaves or the aboriginals. Or the people living in Mexico before you invaded?

the descendants of slaves don't have a connection to their ancestral homelands but they generally happy to be american citizens as opposed to, say, any other country's citizens

indigenous americans are equally proud of our heritage but we are conflicted because we have even worse of a bum deal than african americans get but we still enjoy the general benefits of being modern us citizens. you take the good with the bad, because while there's a fair amount of the bad, there's a drat lotta good

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

General China posted:

What? Anyone, wherever they are in the world, can be proud of their heritage. This isn't exclusively an American thing. There is just a lot of emphasis on it with some people because we are a nation of immigrants. They want to have some tie to their homeland. You're talking about people's individual feelings of pride. You can't argue that.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Uh the Irish have been fighting British occupation for hundreds of years lmao no poo poo they don't like being called British.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Who calls the Irish British?

I mean, Northern Ireland is part of the empire but they're still Irish.

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude
lol if you think Scotland won't immediately collapse under the weight of the fat alcoholics that make up 90% of the scottish population if it leaves the UK.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Dicky B posted:

that didnt really explain anything because i didnt understand any of it. thanks for trying
Bits of things that are made and the things that get made move around the EU and are currently all under the same standards and tariffs throughout the entire EU so there is no worries about checking poo poo, this makes life easy for everyone. Its shortly no longer going to be the case. This is bad for the UK for many reasons including the obvious.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Seaside Loafer posted:

Bits of things that are made and the things that get made move around the EU and are currently all under the same standards and tariffs throughout the entire EU so there is no worries about checking poo poo, this makes life easy for everyone. Its shortly no longer going to be the case. This is bad for the UK for many reasons including the obvious.
sounds like a red herring to me. durrrr how much tax do i have to pay on this airplane propellor this is so complicated!! didnt we invent the computer a while back?

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
so apparently the "british islands" is a political distinction and includes only northern ireland, but the "british isles" are geographical and includes all of ireland. good job loving that up.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

If they are Mexican Americans then yes. :confused:

Are you saying since they are in North America then they must be American? Because you know drat well that's not how things work here.

People from the American continents are Americans. Just because people are sloppy about calling US people Americans doesn't make others any less from America.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
IMO, the should of let Germany win ww1 instead of trying to hold off the inevitable.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Dicky B posted:

sounds like a red herring to me. durrrr how much tax do i have to pay on this airplane propellor this is so complicated!! didnt we invent the computer a while back?

*sigh* the EU has already worked out 50 zillion trading agreements and regulations which are all very complicated and the UK is going to try to duplicate that last 25 years work because old people think the Muslims and the polish are taking our jobs and our women

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Seaside Loafer posted:

*sigh* the EU has already worked out 50 zillion trading agreements and regulations which are all very complicated and the UK is going to try to duplicate that last 25 years work because old people think the Muslims and the polish are taking our jobs and our women
thanks for not responding to my post but instead diverting to durrrrrr racism talking points

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

its all very complicated you see *waves hands vaguely* too complicated to explain. racism!!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

...and the pitch! posted:

People from the American continents are Americans. Just because people are sloppy about calling US people Americans doesn't make others any less from America.

That's the now defacto term though. If you go anywhere whatsoever in the world, if you say American, they know it's someone from the US.

I'm not saying that's geographically correct, but it's just reality.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm working to change that.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

You've got it hosed up, the UK is going to become irrelevant out of this. Scotland is gonna leave, and probably Northern Ireland too. england and wales, powerhouses they are, will probably end up as US states before the 22nd century

This will be a worthwhile invasion. The US will be able to claim the homeland of the Imperial measuring system, and subsequently secure the foothold required to fulfill the systems manifest destiny.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Who gets custody of the expansive boglands when they part ways? Or do they split the bogs and burrow in the muck on different sides of the bog?

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Who calls the Irish British?

I mean, Northern Ireland is part of the empire but they're still Irish.

But Ireland is part of the British Isles. Any body born in the British Isles is British.

The same as anybody born on the continent of America is American.

poo poo people believe don't change that.

This is basic ven diagram poo poo going on here.

General China fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 27, 2017

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
I was born in England.

I am English. I am also British because England is part of the British Isles.

Nothing I can do to change that.

I do not self identify as English when people ask me. In my head I'm East Anglian.

I think the idea of England, the UK and any nation state is a load of shite.

But there is nothing I can do to stop me being British. It was the place I was born.

Finn Mac gently caress, who was born in Enniscorthy, Wexford may have ancestors who died on Vinegar Hill. He may be a rabidly pro active Irish Nationalist.

He was also born in the British Isles and is British.

Nothing we think changes the geographical location of our birth, we are both British.

Same for every other poor fucker born in the particular part of North West Europe called the British Isles.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

General China posted:

But Ireland is part of the British Isles.

Right.

quote:

Any body born in the British Isles is British.

Wrong.

"British Isles" is apolitical
"British" is political

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

General China posted:

But Ireland is part of the British Isles. Any body born in the British Isles is British.

If you say this in some parts of Dublin you might just get stabbed.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

General China posted:

I was born in England.

I am English.

i'm sorry

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Captain Splendid posted:

Right.

Wrong.

"British Isles" is apolitical
"British" is political

No, its geographical.

The United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The UK does not lay claim to all of Britain. The British Isles still include Ireland. People in Ireland are still British.

The UK just thinks they might not be that great.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

COMRADES posted:

If you say this in some parts of Dublin you might just get stabbed.

I worked in the Mater Misericordiae for six months. They don't need that much of an excuse.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Will you just settle down and shut the gently caress up about your stupid pedantic bullshit and wait for your country to crumble like the rest of us?

Cool thanks.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Magius1337est posted:

that reminds me, what's going to happen to all their intellectual property?

They already sold it to Japan on the cheap and are bankrupting the rest for getting hosed in contracts with American companies.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

cynic posted:

Counterpoint; I've lived in about 6 places in Scotland and I can safely say that Scotland is poo poo, full of lovely people, and everyone worthwhile eventually moves closer that cesspool of civilisation London, or abroad where the great golden globe in the sky isn't just a legend passed down between the generations.

i think it would be fun to visit scotland and wales sometime, but Glasgow looks and sounds like such a depressing lovely city. confirm/deny?

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I've had some of the most hilarious and fun experiences ever in Glasgow, but it's also full of chavvy wee neds who will smack you with a bottle of bukkie if you support the wrong religion/football team and I could only understand 50% of what was being said most of the time. I went drinking with literal clowns from a circus, and I saw a naked man chasing someone down the street with a claymore, and a ned insisted on stripping off his shirt to show me his full-back celtic football club tattoo. I'd rate it a solid 4/5 stars, 3/5 if you sober up.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Dicky B posted:

its all very complicated you see *waves hands vaguely* too complicated to explain. racism!!

How do you appropriately tax and sell a car with plastic parts made in china, partially assembled in mexico, imported to the US, and sold as "made in america" in your state?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Magius1337est posted:

How do you appropriately tax and sell a car with plastic parts made in china, partially assembled in mexico, imported to the US, and sold as "made in america" in your state?

i tried asking seaside loafer but they just sighed at me and started crying about racism

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Toys For Twats posted:

lol if you think Scotland won't immediately collapse under the weight of the fat alcoholics that make up 90% of the scottish population if it leaves the UK.

but but oil! *ignores the price of oil collapsing by half over the last 3 years*

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

General China posted:

I was born in England.

I do not self identify as English when people ask me. In my head I'm East Anglian.

But there is nothing I can do to stop me being British. It was the place I was born.

Finn Mac gently caress, who was born in Enniscorthy, Wexford may have ancestors who died on Vinegar Hill. He may be a rabidly pro active Irish Nationalist.

Nothing we think changes the geographical location of our birth, we are both British.

Same for every other poor fucker born in the particular part of North West Europe called the British Isles.

you can tell this cunts from east anglia. His gene pools full of bogjizz

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

FisheyStix posted:

In America, when our states try to secede, we gently caress them up with cannons and burn all their poo poo to the ground until they don't wanna leave anymore.

I'd say give it a try, but uh....

Heh.

Fun fact: it's because of a British demand long time ago that it's possible to legally leave the union in the first place.

Playing the long game and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

General China posted:

I was born in England.

It's gonna be okay. I promise.

• Locked thread