Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
THE AGE OF REASON BY THOMAS MOTHERFUCKING PAINE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

COMRADES posted:

Hmm but surely they existed before that if they helped foment it? Josephus writes that they were founded around 6-7 AD...

e: Simon the Zealot was an apostle?

True, but not everyone agrees that Simon Kananites "Zelotes" means he was a Zealot, and maybe he was just a zealot, or maybe something else. Furthermore the teachings of Jesus as relayed by his followers are pretty directly contrary to what Josephus said the Zealots believed. If Jesus was a Zealot, his immediate followers definitely were not.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I would have to refer you to A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus, which is very good btw; somewhere in those five volumes John Meier argues convincingly against the Zealot claim for Simon Kananites but I don't remember where, beyond what I'm repeating

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
The only thing that matters is beauty, so the KJV.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Who What Now posted:

poo poo, no wonder people were able to put in some made up bullshit about Jesus into these.

The Dead Sea scrolls predate any New Testament texts, so you're a little early for Jesus.

And the oldest scraps of the new testament that we have track remarkably closely to the later, more complete versions of the same books.

The stuff in the Nag Hammadi library would be right up your alley, though.
It's almost all stuff that was literally thrown out when the new testament canon was consolidated. (And no, it didn't have anything to do with Constantine or the Council of Nicea, it was the product of a two century long process from about 200 to 400)
There's a lot of really interesting stuff in there, Jesus gets deemphasised in a lot of it, and very little of it has gone into the collective unconscious.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 27, 2017

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
Steal the version that is in all the drawers of hotel rooms.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

joat mon posted:

The Dead Sea scrolls predate any New Testament texts, so you're a little early for Jesus.

No duh. But people still believe that the very obvious forgery talking about Jesus is real.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

walgreenslatino posted:

I would have to refer you to A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus, which is very good btw; somewhere in those five volumes John Meier argues convincingly against the Zealot claim for Simon Kananites but I don't remember where, beyond what I'm repeating

I'll check it out thanks.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

greek orthodox bible is your best bet if you want the closest translation from the original koine greek

https://www.greekorthodox.bible/greek-nt

tbh, most of the eastern churches are going to have super close bibles. the latin's hosed up some pretty large portions from the original greek, so lots of specific words or emotions in the text were lost.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like the idea that Slavs are the gatekeepers of the true Christianity.

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015

COMRADES posted:

I like the Gospel in Brief.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

COMRADES posted:

orthodoxy is p cool

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

5-HT posted:

orthodoxy is p cool

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i know its ignorant as gently caress but dats some grimdark poo poo right there.

COMRADES posted:

Was Jesus a Zealot?

no but he may have had leanings. like alot of his stories were more "gently caress you"s to the temple and its really really complex customs and ceremonies and its dick sucking of rome then "good will towards man" most of that was added latter on somewhat by paul and others. paul was the weird dickhead schizophrenic who added "he is literally holy god" poo poo. an example would be the Parable of the Good Samaritan. whitch is less about "mercy and helping people" and more making GBS threads on the 2 men who passed by the injured man. the priest and levite.

that being said. i am not a thealogian, i know basics from reading books that are probaly inaccurate, i know "more" about reformation/renassance era stuff. most of the jesus stuff i know is from that reza aslan book. which i am sure someone will call out as poo poo.

plus i am agnostic, so i dont care.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 28, 2017

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

joat mon posted:

THIS THIS THIS

New Testament:
Luke
Acts
Galatians or Romans, depending on whether you want a rant or a calm explanation of the same thing
James
Revelation (not that it explains anything, but it's an important part of the collective unconscious)

Old Testament:
This is a lot harder because so much of the collective unconscious rests on the Old Testament and because for the most part it's the result of a process of accretion and doesn't always read easily.

Genesis
Exodus
(go back for Leviticus later)
Deuteronomy
Joshua
Judges
Samuel
Isaiah
Ezekiel

take breaks from these readings by interspersing:
Proverbs
Song of Solomon
Ecclesiastes
Jonah
Ruth
Job
Amos
Micah

The translations (what does this word mean/what idea is being conveyed here) are generally accurate. However, there is little agreement on what constitutes an "original version" (whatever that is) of a book of the bible to base a translation on.

Most of the books of the Old Testament were written down between the 500s-100s BCE, most of them coming from oral tradition. Even after they were written, they were then more or less continually fiddled with and amended up until the second-ish century CE. The vast majority of the core of what makes up the old testament is the same.

The NT has a narrower range, being written between 50 and 110 CE. No original manuscripts exist, and most of the earliest fragments date from about a century after the originals were written. The earliest collection of a recognizable set of books of the new testament is from the 4th century. The books of the new testament are even more closely aligned within the various versions than the old testament.

this is an excellent recommendation for bible study order

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Hitler invented the panzer gun that's cool. So mein kampf for your bible. 6 million Jews can't be wrong.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

OP if you are looking for a thorough breakdown and analysis of the Bible, this playlist is excellent

https://youtube.com/user/DavidPawsonMinistry/playlists?shelf_id=4&sort=dd&view=50

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l

Big Beef City posted:

The King LAMES you fuckin NERD! LMAO

:tizzy:

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
I'm going to smoke a fat blunt with God when I die right before he sends me to Hell

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If you’re still looking OP I will join the people saying KJV. If you were religiously inclined I would go with a different translation, but for your purposes note that no other translation has had more of an impact on literature or the English language as a whole than the KJV.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Why are there so many different versions?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

So, I didn't read the thread, but, do you want something more scholarly, but which flows less well, something that flows well, but is less accurate to the earliest extant texts, or something between the two? My personal favourite, leaning toward the first group though still readable, is the NET translation. The KJV is nice for the second.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I.C. posted:

because reinterpreting the word of God can give you lots of political power

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I.C. posted:

Some, like the KJV aren’t terribly accurate or are based on source texts that have since been supplanted by the discovery of older versions. For others they come down to differing philosophies on how to balance “literal accuracy” with “readability”

Ultimately all translations fall somewhere on the spectrum. Some go word-for-word, some pull out to the gist of the sentence or phrase and translate that, some like The Message basically just take the whole section and paraphrase that.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Rutibex posted:

because reinterpreting the word of God can give you lots of political power

Also, translating the bible is kind of an absolute crapshoot for a variety of reasons, if you want to try to get an "accurate" bible. First off, you gotta define accuracy. Several books of the old testament have been written, rewritten, censored, and so on, even before Jesus was born. For the new testament, for the first couple hundred years, translation was completely haphazard, with no trained transcribers, instead relying mostly on randoms doing it as a hobby, some of which were not great literacy wise in the first place. So, you had a massive amount of divergence in the early period, and new additions and such, to try to get them to match up better with each other. We got a letter from... I want to say Origen, where he complains about how there is so much difference between bibles, and the issue was apparently brought up in Celsus' The True Word, since Origen feels the need to provide a counter argument in Contra Celsum. So, scholars are always trying to find the earliest or most trustworthy fragments and pieces.

Also, new recommendation: http://www.conservapedia.com/Conservative_Bible

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
FACT: English is the official language of Christianity

:911:

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I believe it was RandomFerret who wrote

quote:

No, Moslems don’t believe that Jesus was the Messiah.

Think of it like a movie. The Torah is the first one, and the New Testament is the sequel. Then the Qu’ran comes out, and it retcons the last one like it never happened. There’s still Jesus, but he’s not the main character anymore, and the Messiah hasn’t shown up yet.

Jews like the first movie, but ignored the sequels, Christians think you need to watch the first two, but the third one doesn’t count, Moslems think the third one was the best, and Mormons liked the second one so much they started writing fan fiction that doesn’t fit with ANY of the series canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Instead of reading the Bible and culturally enriching yourself, why not head on down to the local Barnes & Noble and stick all the Bibles in the Fiction section to make a hilarious point about how much contempt you have for low-paid bookstore employees?

• Locked thread