Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
I'm glad that in Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries the norm is having surnames from both sides of the family and no one whines about length. Add her surname, dummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

change your last name to bonaparte

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Raider posted:

change your last name to bonaparte

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
In Britain you can tell ancient poo poo from people's names. Someone has the second name Fletcher? Guess what their ancestor probably did for a living, they put fletching on arrows! Someone called Bailey? Their great great great great grandfather most likely delivered stuff. Someone called Kyanka? Yup, that person's ancestors herded retards.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OP, you're a loving idiot and are overthinking this way too much.

I kept my last name wife kept her last name.

The children are probably hosed, but they can bloody well change their names when they turn 18.

Suck it society.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Mr.Tophat posted:

In Britain you can tell ancient poo poo from people's names. Someone has the second name Fletcher? Guess what their ancestor probably did for a living, they put fletching on arrows! Someone called Bailey? Their great great great great grandfather most likely delivered stuff. Someone called Kyanka? Yup, that person's ancestors herded retards.

I always thought that was a Polish name. This isn't a diss, I just thought it sounded like one. It's British? Amazing.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Metal Cat posted:

I'm glad that in Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries the norm is having surnames from both sides of the family and no one whines about length. Add her surname, dummy.

I already have a long hyphenated long name god drat it is that hard to read???

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

OWLS! posted:

The children are probably hosed, but they can bloody well change their names when they turn 18.

Suck it society.

Another insightful post, cause you correctly guessed that I’m the worst kind of moron

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

OWLS! posted:

Suck it society.

What names did the kids get?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vato posted:

What names did the kids get?

IDK, they're pre-emptively hosed when they appear.

OP - double hyphenate your combined last name, and use that.

Because you might as well go full insane, you pussy.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

My Linux Rig posted:

But here’s my genius plan, I’m gonna take parts of them and combine them in a way that makes sense!

Anyway, the true point of this thread was to waste your time, so if you read this, then I accomplished my task. Take that, you shitlord.

I wanted to do that but it turns out to be a huge pain in the rear end. I recommend starting the process to change your name to this mishmash right loving now and then she can change hers to match after the wedding with absolutely no hassle

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Speleothing posted:

I wanted to do that but it turns out to be a huge pain in the rear end. I recommend starting the process to change your name to this mishmash right loving now and then she can change hers to match after the wedding with absolutely no hassle

Where do you live that it's a pain?

It's like 50 bucks and a form here, and then you get a court visit like 10 days later and then you're done.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Speleothing posted:

NOPE I’m gonna do it like I do everything in my life so far unplanned and spur of the moment so this last name plan has to fit my idiot whims

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Change your first name and middle name while you're at it too OP.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That way you can get the full change in on the legal paperwork.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
(change your first name to your fiance's first name)

Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

Moon Atari posted:

On the contrary, names have powerful subconscious effects. It has been found that hearing or seeing your own name produces positive feedback, to such a degree that you are statistically more likely to like people, places and things sharing a first letter with your name. Also, your own name activates neural areas distinct from other's names. Consequently, having a shared family name rather than separate ones will likely change the way you perceive your partner or children on a subconscious level, either grouping them into your own self-regard and self-serving bias or considering them as an other.

As to hyphenated names, people respond more positively to easy to pronounce names. As such, they will probably judge a hyphenated name less positively even if they are progressive minded folk.

brb min-maxing name change for most bonus stats

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Double barrel all your names

Change your second name to STOP

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
John-stop Long-stop Mc'Flannegan-Olarry-Smith.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
According to the research I did online you're apparently supposed to send your prints in to the police (and maybe the FBI) before you see the judge so they know you aren't trying to dodge out of a warrant, then you see the judge and get the ruling, then you have to change records and get new IDs.

Then she gets to waltz in and show the marriage license and get it all done free and easy because she's getting married and it's no big deal.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

My Linux Rig posted:

I already have a long hyphenated long name god drat it is that hard to read???

That's not a downside and doesn't stop you from adding it. Might as well go the full mile and call yourself Baron Von whatever hyphenated mess you have for a name.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Vato posted:

I always thought that was a Polish name. This isn't a diss, I just thought it sounded like one. It's British? Amazing.

Try again.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

OWLS! posted:

John-stop Long-stop Mc'Flannegan-Olarry-Smith.

We don't even have telegrams in this day and age! STOP won't make sense to most people soon!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Speleothing posted:

According to the research I did online you're apparently supposed to send your prints in to the police (and maybe the FBI) before you see the judge so they know you aren't trying to dodge out of a warrant, then you see the judge and get the ruling, then you have to change records and get new IDs.

Lol what shithole state do you live in gently caress

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

OWLS! posted:

It's like 50 bucks and a form here, and then you get a court visit like 10 days later and then you're done.

that sounds like a pain in the rear end to me

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Vato posted:

We don't even have telegrams in this day and age! STOP won't make sense to most people soon!

I'm not changing the save icon to anything different and neither should you.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Change your name to Harvey Weinstein and then when you introduce yourself to people you can chuckle and say "oh, no relation!"

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Metal Cat posted:

That's not a downside and doesn't stop you from adding it. Might as well go the full mile and call yourself Baron Von whatever hyphenated mess you have for a name.

But I’m lazy and my family is full of abusive alcoholics so why would I wanna do that??

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inept posted:

that sounds like a pain in the rear end to me

"Hi are you changing your name to skirt the law"
"No"
"Are you a felon"
"No"
"Do you have any debts your'e skirting"
"No"
"Ok, here ya go, have fun getting all your paperwork changed"

quote:

Then she gets to waltz in and show the marriage license and get it all done free and easy because she's getting married and it's no big deal.

She still has to run around changing all of her IDs though.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My Linux Rig posted:

But I’m lazy and my family is full of abusive alcoholics so why would I wanna do that??

Cause it's cool?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Seashell Salesman posted:

Change your name to Harvey Weinstein and then when you introduce yourself to people you can chuckle and say "oh, no relation!"

How about Roy Moore instead you GLOBALIST CUCK!!! :argh:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Seashell Salesman posted:

Harvey Weinstein Jr

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

OWLS! posted:

Cause it's cool?

I’ve already forgotten what you suggested let me see what it was

Oh, no that’s a terrible idea no wonder I forgot it

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

How about Roy Moore instead you GLOBALIST CUCK!!! :argh:

Poor aspiring actor Roy Moore, was told to 'break a leg' and then died

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Mr.Tophat posted:

Poor aspiring actor Roy Moore, was told to 'break a leg' and then died

Well that’s what makes him a cuck obviously

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I wouldn’t die after breaking my leg, no sir, too much of a red blooded American for that

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
you keep yours, she keeps hers. sons get your last name and daughters get her last name.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

Well that’s what makes him a cuck obviously

Sentences like this make me pray for word filters again

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake

My Linux Rig posted:

If they're abusive alcoholics why keep their loving name then

Just take your wife's name

I have a hyphenated first name and I'm hyphenating my last name when I marry :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
Tell her either she takes your name or the wedding is off, see what she says.

• Locked thread