Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

No the galaxy is a flattening circle, deriving energy from the compression of 3D spacetime into 2D. Dimensional compression is the energy that gives us the outward spiral, that force that redshifts spacetime into the future, and allows the galaxy to have any width at all. And the universe can be said to be a flat circle (not flattening, flat) with a single hydrogen atom in the middle oscillating one atom north or south of the empty universal plane. So historically when they say the world is flat they misinterpret “universe” for “world” because that is the only universe 15th century brains could comprehend.

Thats just like, your opinion man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
it's all a simulation made to see what I would do if the world was full of poo

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If the Earth was round I could put my car in neutral, roll to work, then at the end of the day put it in neutral and roll home. No gas!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Thirding/fourthing that you need to bilk this intelligent, perceptive individual for all he's worth.

Borrow his lawnmower and if he asks for it back say it fell off the side of the earth.

If he says you're nowhere the edge ask, "How do *you* know, man? Are you a scientist?"

Probably hates scientists, telling lies and getting him pissed.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
I know that most people like to claim The Jews, or Lizardpersons, or NSA/NASA, etc. for conspiracy theories but I have it on very good authority that this particular conspiracy is actually the result of the Lutherans. Think about it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I just remembered the people saying the em drive was real.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Why care what an idiot thinks? If it's not one conspiracy it's some other one.

Gnome de plume posted:

Thirding/fourthing that you need to bilk this intelligent, perceptive individual for all he's worth.

Borrow his lawnmower and if he asks for it back say it fell off the side of the earth.

If he says you're nowhere the edge ask, "How do *you* know, man? Are you a scientist?"

Probably hates scientists, telling lies and getting him pissed.

yes

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Stexils posted:

immediately start looking for a way to scam him out of all his money

This.

It works for Alex Jones or [insert televangelist here]

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

OldAlias posted:

the Jews, op

Is it any particular Jews? 'cause I know a Jewish guy named Dan and he's pretty cool. We hang out and stuff.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

Thats just like, your opinion man

Well yeah the edges are never totally fleshed out that’s the nature of light dude. :shrug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The reason the government is keeping it secret is simple: they do not want anyone to find out they are collaborating with Adolf Hitler and the remnants of the Thule Society in their secret antarctic base on the edge of the world (in the ice wall) where they are creating advanced technology, including time travel devices. I mean, if you were working with Hitler would you advertise it? No.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Funny thing is, there was probably less flat earthers in 17th century than there are now. Back than, you could just go to a port with a spyglass and watch ship's sails appear first over the horizon.

BTW, how do they explain the horizon? Surely west europeans should be able to see across the atlantic with a powerful telescope?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The reason the government is keeping it secret is simple: they do not want anyone to find out they are collaborating with Adolf Hitler and the remnants of the Thule Society in their secret antarctic base on the edge of the world (in the ice wall) where they are creating advanced technology, including time travel devices. I mean, if you were working with Hitler would you advertise it? No.

OldAlias posted:

the Jews, op

One of you is clearly lying

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
I have flat earther colleagues but I never discuss it with them. Leave them be.

[David Guetta] I can't find the words to describe flat earth without being disrespectful...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This guy on Youtube is trying to say that railroads wouldn't work because its too hard to make long pieces of metal curve like that lmbo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sekenr posted:

BTW, how do they explain the horizon? Surely west europeans should be able to see across the atlantic with a powerful telescope?

There's a ton of youtube flat earth videos that apparently explain about the horizon and why ships appear to disappear once they get a certain distance away and why the sun seems to set every night, mostly it boils down to "Objects that are very, very far away appear to be very close together and humans can only see so far, so when things get a certain distance away they seem to merge into each other" or some dumb poo poo similar to that.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Say you're going to prove flat earth is real but you need funding for your rocketship.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Some loon spraypainted what appeared to be half this kind of thing and half schizophernic word salad on walls in the industrial estate near my workplace.

Should have taken a photo in retrospect, and now the Jew lizard people have washed it off. :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EorayMel posted:

Disappointed this wasn't another mad Mike Hughes thread.

Unless... :tinfoil:

Hey let's check in on Mad Mike and see if he's getting any better or whether he's getting even crazier ....

Okay yes he's definitely getting crazier

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
Lol

Get bent u stupid Globers :cool::rolleyes:

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

NASA, more like the National Anti-christ and Satan Association.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sekenr posted:

Funny thing is, there was probably less flat earthers in 17th century than there are now. Back than, you could just go to a port with a spyglass and watch ship's sails appear first over the horizon.

this book will explain everything you need to know about "Zetetic Astronomy". what you are looking for is section XIII "Perspective on the Sea"
Zetetic astronomy. Earth not a globe! an experimental inquiry into the true figure of the earth (Samuel Birley Rowbotham 1865)
https://archive.org/details/zeteticastronom00rowbgoog

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"I don't believe in gravity."
"That's fine. But it believes in you."

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My favorite conspiracies are those that depend on the super human coordination and competcy of the government. I wonder if those have been losing popularity lately.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Rutibex posted:

but i mean, it was the loving devil who showed him that. you think maybe the devil has the power to show illusions and stuff? i mean thats kind of his thing

This is especially hilarious in the context of "the round Earth is a lie by the Devil to make us lose faith," because it implies that sometimes the Devil is capable of infinite deception and malice and sometimes he's just gonna tell you the straight truth 'cause it would be unfair not to.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mozi posted:

That's why they can afford to deny it, even though accepting that the scientific process that makes their TV work is the same as that which says the Earth is round.

*Puts on shaggy2dope makeup

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a ton of youtube flat earth videos that apparently explain about the horizon and why ships appear to disappear once they get a certain distance away and why the sun seems to set every night, mostly it boils down to "Objects that are very, very far away appear to be very close together and humans can only see so far, so when things get a certain distance away they seem to merge into each other" or some dumb poo poo similar to that.

So the setting sun is rocketing away from us without any change in perceived size? Neat, God sure is amazing

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Disrespecting gravity is bad. A friend of mine made a t-shirt with a print of Yuri Gagarin and words "Gravity sucks". On Cosmonautics Day he got so drunk while wearing this t that he fell down a flight of stairs and hurt himself pretty badly. He learned his lesson and doesn't insult gravity anymore.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
some more truths

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wow I never knew I wanted to argue with a flat earther this badly

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nerses IV posted:

So the setting sun is rocketing away from us without any change in perceived size? Neat, God sure is amazing

Oh they try to explain that
https://wiki.tfes.org/Magnification_of_the_Sun_at_Sunset

quote:

As an analogy for the enlarging of the sun at sunset, lets imagine that we are in a dark room with a flashlight. We shine the light upon the wall, creating a distinct circle of light. If we walk backwards and recede away from the wall the spot of light grows in diameter. When we walk towards the wall the spot of light becomes smaller again. The same effect happens with the distant sun at sunset. Instead of a solid surface like a wall, however, the rays of light are shining upon the semi-transparent fog of the atmolayer between the observer and the sun. The natural shrinking of the sun due to perspective is counteracted by the enlarging effect of its light upon the horizontal strata of the atmolayer between you and the light source. This is how the sun's diameter is maintained throughout the day.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

What causes seasons on flat earth?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
we are reaping what we sow. this kind of abandonment of reason is a direct result of a few decades of deprioritizing education. while flat earthers in particular are hilariously harmless, the process it represents that got us to the point where people have been convinced that the earth is flat after knowing it isnt is horrifying. much of the same is seen elsewhere in the past year in much more harmful presentations

the sad part is the only way to stop it is to revamp public education, which even if that were completely successful today we would still be living in a retard country for decades. thats the BEST case scenario... once we start getting into the gods of our fathers cycle even that goes out the window

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

nah there's always been shitloads of really dumb people

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bitterandtwisted posted:

What causes seasons on flat earth?

The sun rotates around the north pole axis on a flat earth model and in 'northern' summer it rotates closer to the pole and in 'northern' winter it rotates further out:

.... but the days are still exactly 24 hours long somehow

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

bitterandtwisted posted:

nah there's always been shitloads of really dumb people

this isnt about dumb or smart people. things are only going to get worse. the only upside is there is absolutely nothing you can do about it

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
The fact people are so angry that I believe the earth is flat is just MORE EVIDENCE that a conspiracy exists

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Halser posted:

The fact people are so angry that I believe the earth is flat is just MORE EVIDENCE that a conspiracy exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

PureEvil6_13 posted:

It was recommended to me to send this to him.

I never thought I'd meet one of these clowns yet here we are.

Forgive me if it happened already. Can someone who is a mathmagician take that shoe photo and figure out how small the Earth would be based on that curvature?

• Locked thread