Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Doctor J Off posted:

It could have been like 30 minutes shorter without cutting out a single scene if they made every scene shorter by cutting down on the time spent deliberately gazing and reacting

Gazing is the whole point of those scenes buddy, Blade Runner is all about gazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

My biggest gripe with the movie is why couldn't he just backup his hologram wife to the cloud

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Jack Off Instructions was part of the story. She is made by Leto's company and spies on Gosling. Plus, near the end the advertisement says something like "everything you want to hear" or some poo poo which is exposition that says the audience is too dumb so we will tell you outright.

What they needed to get rid of was Harrison Ford. Old people need to die faster.

Haha I checked the cast and the robot wife's name is actually Joi, that's hilarious.

I kind of see the purpose behind her character, and she becomes way more relevant to the story about half way through the film. The early scenes felt about drawn out but maybe I just need to watch the movie again.

The conflict between artificial and human, man and machine and so on have always been pretty central in scifi, especially stories like Bladerunner. She was there at least in part to humanize Gosling's character and it kind of worked.

Kazak posted:

My biggest gripe with the movie is why couldn't he just backup his hologram wife to the cloud
But they did! All robots go to heaven, hallelujah.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
that movie wasnt good

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I think the question of what, if anything, separates a replicant with a meat body, and Joi, is central to the film. Just as much as what separates a human and a replicant.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Automata has a better story than both Blade Runner movies, it's on netflix right now ya'll should watch it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

serious norman posted:

that movie wasnt good
:agreed:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

Automata has a better story than both Blade Runner movies, it's on netflix right now ya'll should watch it

2b was too fanservicey but it's a good game

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

HOW DO THEY poo poo IN THE FUTURE, RIDS

Look at this nigga never knowing about the three seashells

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I have a feeling that there is going to be a sequel to Bladerunner 2049 (maybe after Ford kicks the bucket). The whole replicant revolution subplot towards the end was cut off really abruptly, it's either weird editing or fishing for a terrible sequel imo.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
butt runner 2069

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

fishing for a terrible sequel imo.

It's always this

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Blue Train posted:

It's always this

I'm already seeing the imagery of Terminator 3 but with sexy dudes and ladies in place of robots...

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

All these long boring shots of absolutely nothing interesting.. they should rename this movie Snorence of Dullrabia!

I give it 2 out of 5 🍆!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

doverhog posted:

I think the question of what, if anything, separates a replicant with a meat body, and Joi, is central to the film. Just as much as what separates a human and a replicant.
In blade runner the human/replicant division was also a master/slave division and everything the movie said about one was also said about the other.

wtf does this replicant/hologram division have to do with anything beyond the film itself? the film spends three hours just chewing its own setting, for the entertainment of folks like urself who came only to see “what happened next” after something that never happened to begin with

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
when i watched it it seemed like halfway through the writers realized they forgot to jack off the fans hard enough and totally abandoned the cool plot and characters they had going to make it all about deckard!!!!!!!! and now yall have to save deckard!!!!!!!!!! remember that guy form that movie??????

stay tuned for the next installment in tge blade runner cinematic universe. deckard: a blade runner story

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Did you know questions about whether a soul exists, and whether that is the same as consciousness, and what does "consciousness" even mean, predate even the original Blade Runner? :D

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
My opinion is Blade Runner 2049 was a great movie but if you didn't like it that is fine too.

Will gbs implode when I hit post? Let's see.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
the new blade runner wasnt perfect but it was better than A.I. and way better than scarjo ghost in the shell

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It wasn't even better than The Bicentennial Man.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

What about encino man

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

doverhog posted:

Did you know questions about whether a soul exists, and whether that is the same as consciousness, and what does "consciousness" even mean, predate even the original Blade Runner? :D
“Can you gently caress a soul” wow deep philosophy there perfesser

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That actually would be a deep question, but the question the movie asks is, if you create an artificial gently caress muppet that acts sentient, and knows you, and loves you, but was created to do so, does it have a soul? And does it make difference whether that muppet has a physical body or not?

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
u gotta pay the troll toll

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

What about encino man

nothing will ever be better than Encino Man

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
the encino man cinematic universe

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

doverhog posted:

That actually would be a deep question, but the question the movie asks is, if you create an artificial gently caress muppet that acts sentient, and knows you, and loves you, but was created to do so, does it have a soul? And does it make difference whether that muppet has a physical body or not?

If it doesn't have a physical body how do you gently caress it

a bone to pick posted:

nothing will ever be better than Encino Man

:hfive:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Blue Train posted:

If it doesn't have a physical body how do you gently caress it

:hfive:

Did you not see the movie either? It hires a sex worker willing to play along to act as a physical proxy and then overlays a hologram over her body.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I didn't like the original one so no I didn't watch this one and that is some dumb rear end convoluted bullshit so I'm glad I didn't

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That's fair if u didn't like the original the new one not gonna work either

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I thought the old one was awkward in multiple ways and I liked this new one a lot more despite it being three hours longer

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
which had a better proxy gently caress scene blade runner 2049 or Her

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

eSports Chaebol posted:

which had a better proxy gently caress scene blade runner 2049 or Her

Her

Blade runners sex scene was disorienting and uncanny because it's two women glitching in and out of each other

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That little hand remote probably has a hole in it

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

iirc in Her, Theodore feels weird about the surrogate and can't keep going. Very relatable to 2013 me

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
I thought the female replicant was a pretty decent villian.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

K's lieutenant is Robin Wright who also played Jenny in Forrest Gump.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

doverhog posted:

The replicants are not and never have been meant to be emotionless. That's such a fundamental misunderstanding of the whole premise I question whether you even saw the movie.

Yes, but Gosling’s replicant is controlled to be hardened and suppress everything. The result was a boring as gently caress character giving an extended blank stare the whole movie.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
I hate how replicants were retconned to being clone humans instead of robots in this film.

I was so confused at the idea of a robot having a baby with a human.

It also lacked the surreal imagery of the first film and the soundtrack was subpar cyberpunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I don't think replicants were ever "robots" even in the old film. They were synthetic humans with limited life spans and various built in features like higher strength but they didn't have circuitry and gears.

• Locked thread