Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Most of the population of the Mad Max world is dying of cancer.

That's on top of the whole 'post apocalyptic scarcity of water and edible foodstuffs' deal.

Thankfully (because it's probably a quicker less painful death) there is a far worse danger to many of the inhabitants of the Mad Max world than either cancer or starvation/thirst- running afoul of Max!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why is max the only normal looking dude in the series?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

you ever wonder why they call him "mad"? it's everyone ELSE who's normal lookin'!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

<Mad Max Deep Meta Thoughts>
Because he ("Mad" Max) doesn't exist. He's a myth. A story told of the last man of the Old Times, and his form reflects the stature of those who came before. Chum calling him a Saint isn't just hyperbole, it's because he's literally a Holy Figure.

The only "Real" Max is the man who would become Legend - the Max of the first Movie. The rest are just stories told down through the ages of the mystical Road Warrior who comes, smashes the unrighteous, and leaves, never to be seen or heard from again.
</Mad Max Deep Meta Thoughts>

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
uh, yeah, but that's basically just series canon

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

He survived a thermonuclear apocalypse and hit the (un)lucky mutant lottery of reduced aging, so he must fight and kill others that in a better world would be old enough to be his grandchildren.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I was going to bring up that maybe this Max is not the original Mel Gibson Mad Max and ask what was up with that, but I couldn't find the wording for it.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

HardDiskD posted:

I was going to bring up that maybe this Max is not the original Mel Gibson Mad Max and ask what was up with that, but I couldn't find the wording for it.

Mel Gibson Max effectively got canned after all the horrible things Mel Gibson did, is my understanding. Tom Hardy is the max in Fury Road, I dunno who plays the one in this game.

Edit: Oh, wait, you mean that in-universe. Well, Mad Max per it's creator, as said above is supposed to be post-apocalyptic mythology, but yeah, there's an in-universe and out-universe explanation.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Dogs are good in the same way that minefields are bad.

5: Man's Best Friend/Polsy

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Minefields and Death Runs - both things the game probably could've done with out. Death Runs because usually it's just easier to kill all your opponents and race for the finish line, and even after you finish one it doesn't give you anything than a new point to pick up fuel and change one or two random lines you hear from people in camps as you walk by. And minefields are just frustrating tedium, I don't know who thought they were a good idea. But my gaming OCD - plus the fact that some of the best parts in the game are locked behind completely reducing threat in a region - makes me clear them every time.

Ironically it was minefields that taught me that Max can fix his car without Chum present. You just need to get out and run to the front and a prompt will show up. But it costs scrap and I don't think you can do it while in combat. Chum has other things that make combat much easier though so it's always handy to have him around.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Psychotic Weasel posted:

And minefields are just frustrating tedium, I don't know who thought they were a good idea. But my gaming OCD - plus the fact that some of the best parts in the game are locked behind completely reducing threat in a region - makes me clear them every time.

The only good thing about minefields was the one time I managed to get an idiot Scrotus goon to run into one as he was rushing at me. Still not really worth it since I had to 1. detect the mine, and 2. notice a relatively close-by pair of goons, then 3. bait them to run after me

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm calling it now.

Scrotus is the final boss. He's got a sick rear end scar on his head from when we sawed out in half, but he's still alive.

The game has just been doth protesting too much about it and it would be the perfect thing to do.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

bony tony posted:

I'm calling it now.

Scrotus is the final boss. He's got a sick rear end scar on his head from when we sawed out in half, but he's still alive.

The game has just been doth protesting too much about it and it would be the perfect thing to do.

Yeah, I'm guessing you're probably right.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

bony tony posted:

I'm calling it now.

His head is now the chainsaw.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i did a playthrough where i didnt do any Max upgrades and did very minimal base upgrades amd left most war boy totems up. minefields were alright because whenever i didnt mind going throughem to get scrap and ammo. switching vehicles was a pain, but so it goes

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I know it's not very in-universe, but I feel that some kind of a radio, or a bit more of a soundtrack when just driving could have helped with some of the travelling to-and-from.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Probably. The growl of the engines and the occasional car fight kinda wear after a while. It doesn't bother while playing, but watching...

Should I be editing more heavily?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The purr of the engines is a glorious lullabye Saint, PRAISE BE!
I love this janky game, just driving around and smashing enemy cars to bits is so good. I think I played it too much when I started saying "Praise Be" about random poo poo in real life. Chumbucket is the best.
Mad Max does a thing other car combat games should look into, instead of having turrets or whatever on your cars just have a bunch of dudes with guns hanging out in the car instead.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 12, 2018

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

dscruffy1 posted:

Probably. The growl of the engines and the occasional car fight kinda wear after a while. It doesn't bother while playing, but watching...

Should I be editing more heavily?

Once you start doubling back to places just to find collectables, but not yet.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Dreadwroth posted:

Mad Max does a thing other car combat games should look into, instead of having turrets or whatever on your cars just have a bunch of dudes with guns hanging out in the car instead.

You might like the 2012 Twisted Metal reboot (and you might be the only one who does)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i liked it. very flawwd but enjoyable nonetheless. feels like everyone forgot about it after it came out though. myself included, until your mention remindwd me it exists, haha

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think I played the Twisted Metal reboot, I don't remember. Waiiit, Twisted Metal Black? Yeah I actually did like it but my taste is questionable to say the least.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
not TM Black which ruled and was hella good. we're talking about Twisted Metal. the remake for the ps3, which was good but was limited by some bizarre design decisions. had some cool boss fights like the canyon dollface transformer fight, but had some outdated choices that made it much more difficult than it needed to be in a way that contrary to being challenging was just frustrating and sucked out enjoyment

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Meh, I prefer Carmageddeon instead of Twisted Metal for my not-really Mad Max experience. ;)

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ahhh Ive never played any TM after Black, thats explains why I've never heard of it.
In related news, the team that made Mad Max is doing the car stuff for Rage 2 which makes me a bit interested in it.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Dreadwroth posted:

Ahhh Ive never played any TM after Black, thats explains why I've never heard of it.
In related news, the team that made Mad Max is doing the car stuff for Rage 2 which makes me a bit interested in it.

Apparently they're doing the car stuff and id is doing the gunplay, which sounds basically like everything you could possibly want in a game.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Apologies for the delay, Youtube apparently had a hell of a time uploading/processing this video.

6: Blas Cap/Polsy

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Oh boy, this car body looks a hell of a lot like the other one we had.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

This episode showcased the great sound design in this game. Max punching dudes, or hitting them with wrenches or unloading a shotgun in their guts- it all just sounds really... crunchy.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I know. It's like Doom sound design, I love it.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

man, tripping balls with Griffa is already paying off nicely

what was that, 20% on some of those, and the story has a ways to go yet

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

SatansOnion posted:

man, tripping balls with Griffa is already paying off nicely

what was that, 20% on some of those, and the story has a ways to go yet

The conversations with Griffa are definitely one of the best parts of this game. He digs deep into Max's character, it's so good

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Are you going to show off the photo mode at some point Scruffy? I was never any good at it, but you can get some really killer shots with a bit of skill and timing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Samovar posted:

I know it's not very in-universe, but I feel that some kind of a radio, or a bit more of a soundtrack when just driving could have helped with some of the travelling to-and-from.

The obvious solution is for Max to pick up his own version of Coma the Doof-Warrior (Guy constantly playing Guitar in the movie).

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

ShootaBoy posted:

Are you going to show off the photo mode at some point Scruffy? I was never any good at it, but you can get some really killer shots with a bit of skill and timing.

I've never messed around with it before so no promises. I've seen some good shots but I don't have much of an eye for good shots. I'm usually too busy murderin' :v:

Today we take on a new type of camp, a Top Dog camp. It is populated by a large and rude boy.

7: Stump Grinder/Polsy

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think one of the most interesting parts of Mad Max was 'people still try to make beautiful things', as (I think) the director for Fury Road put it. They live in a wasteland but why would that stop them from making art, or adorning themselves? All the little hints of actual cultures and the total lack of scenes where someone stops and looks at the audience and just explains them, leaving you to infer from context, really add a lot.

There's a real sense of aesthetic and culture to the setting, and it makes it really striking to look at and listen to. It also does a lot to make the people in it feel like people, crazy as their lives are.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"Stump Grinder" being a eunuch is perfect.

They really got the names right in this game.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Stump Grinder's mannerisms remind me of an Orc from the "Shadow of" games for some reason. Honestly,that's the one thing this game needed, the Nemesis System. Would be perfect for this crazy Wasteland.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Night10194 posted:

I think one of the most interesting parts of Mad Max was 'people still try to make beautiful things', as (I think) the director for Fury Road put it. They live in a wasteland but why would that stop them from making art, or adorning themselves? All the little hints of actual cultures and the total lack of scenes where someone stops and looks at the audience and just explains them, leaving you to infer from context, really add a lot.

There's a real sense of aesthetic and culture to the setting, and it makes it really striking to look at and listen to. It also does a lot to make the people in it feel like people, crazy as their lives are.

It's one of things that always made the setting more believable, humans figured out art and worship and braining the other guy with a rock about the same time, long before civilization, so lacking the lacking the latter doesn't preclude the former even if it's two minutes after midnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

VolticSurge posted:

Stump Grinder's mannerisms remind me of an Orc from the "Shadow of" games for some reason. Honestly,that's the one thing this game needed, the Nemesis System. Would be perfect for this crazy Wasteland.

Yeah, but I got nightmares of that. Plus in that setting dark magic was an easy explanation for how your Nemesis kept coming back from the dead. What would it be here?