Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Wait what about slow cooked pork shoulder. Are you telling me no one eats pulled pork sandwiches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Turkey is the best, fuckkin' 100% SUPER AMERICAN MEATS :patriot:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If it's so American, why's it called Turkey? It's obviously middle Eastern smh

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
salmon is the best of the non mainstream but almost mainstream meaties

its orange, the best food colour.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
rabbit

is

loving

garbage

it's the worst meat, it's stringy and tastes bad,

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

WatermelonGun posted:

Tilapia is wild because it’s a disgusting oily blob yet marketing has convinced middle america that it’s good eating

76% of all tilapia consumed in the US is farmed, not wild.

Creamed Cormp posted:

rabbit

is

loving

garbage

it's the worst meat, it's stringy and tastes bad,

I've had REALLY good rabbit (think tender white meat chicken crossed with extremely mild...pork? maybe?) which was sincerely some of the best meat I've ever had.
I've also had poor rabbit, though not as bad as you describe it. Just not...great. However, I haven't had wild/hunted rabbit, only farm raised restaurant prepared variants. It's not common around here oddly.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 15, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'll tell you what I HAVE noticed has seemingly declined in quality of late (granted I'm only in my mid 30's so I can't give a HUGE sample size) but it seems like the quality of, of all things, frog legs has dropped off considerably.

I think it's because less places offer them and so less line chefs have the experience to do them right, maybe? I'm not sure. But I remember trying them for the first time at about 10, maybe 12 years old. Getting them once or twice a year after that just 'cus. But the last couple times I've even been able to find them on a menu around here they are bland and or stringy as gently caress and come off, even if fully cooked, with the texture of a semi-raw chicken wing, and this makes me sad.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I had a duck for Christmas and I really need to have it more often.

It’s actually really easy to find here, the only reason I don’t think to get more is because it’s not really “mainstream” so I don’t think about getting one when shopping, since it’s not as prominently displayed as the other meats.

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
the great thing about duck is saving all the fat that renders out and then using it to cook everything else.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
there’s a fish and chicken shack here that serves really good fried alligator if we’re just talking about good things to eat now

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I don't think goat gets enough love in the US. Goat barbacoa is great and goat curry is sublime.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

lil bip posted:

the great thing about duck is saving all the fat that renders out and then using it to cook everything else.
Hell yeah. I got a bunch of frozen pucks in the freezer and it makes everything better.

I guess that’ll be a good reminder when I run out of them,

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Qdoba and Chipotle don't have mutton but they have the other 3.

It's mutton.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Duck is one of those things I want to dive into but the only place to get it here is the Chinese market and a whole frozen duck is almost 35 dollars

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Tom Gorman posted:

Duck is one of those things I want to dive into but the only place to get it here is the Chinese market and a whole frozen duck is almost 35 dollars

shoot the ducks yourself

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I agree pork is the lowest tier of common meats (fish is lower, but its so low it doesnt count as meat). even though chickens are a less advanced form of organism than a pig it is still a superior meat.

beef is the top tier meat

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Big Beef City posted:

I'll tell you what I HAVE noticed has seemingly declined in quality of late (granted I'm only in my mid 30's so I can't give a HUGE sample size) but it seems like the quality of, of all things, frog legs has dropped off considerably.

I think it's because less places offer them and so less line chefs have the experience to do them right, maybe? I'm not sure. But I remember trying them for the first time at about 10, maybe 12 years old. Getting them once or twice a year after that just 'cus. But the last couple times I've even been able to find them on a menu around here they are bland and or stringy as gently caress and come off, even if fully cooked, with the texture of a semi-raw chicken wing, and this makes me sad.

I’ve noticed this too, and it’s not just at restaurants. We had a butcher shop nearby where I grew up that sold em raw by the pound and we’d grill them up like chicken wings, maybe slap a little bbq or teriyaki on them at the end. Maybe once a year in the summer I buy a pound for nostalgia’s sake and the past few years they’ve been awful. Maybe since the frogs are all gay now they work out more or something. :shrug:

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

I've had REALLY good rabbit (think tender white meat chicken crossed with extremely mild...pork? maybe?) which was sincerely some of the best meat I've ever had.
I've also had poor rabbit, though not as bad as you describe it. Just not...great. However, I haven't had wild/hunted rabbit, only farm raised restaurant prepared variants. It's not common around here oddly.

You are really missing out. I have eaten wild rabbits and hares and like you say, kind of a lot like tastier chicken. It has a mildly gamey flavour - you can tell that it eats wild grasses and herbs but it is not overly strong like wild goose, duck or venison. My dad used to hunt hares all the time and take them home and make a big pot of stew with carrots, onions, streaky smoked bacon and just a little bit of water. That was really all that was needed to make something incredibly tasty. Unfortunately this can't be done nowadays because hares are endangered and it's illegal to hunt them. It's not a good idea to eat wild rabbits where I'm from (Ireland btw) since a lot of them have myxomatosis these days. If I happen to see a rabbit that actually looks healthy I look for my rifle because it's a rare thing.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Fish is good, but makes for terrible jerky ime.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Big Beef City posted:

I haven't had rabbit for years but I remember it as being like chicken thigh meat and pretty good. I wish it was available in the shops, they're classed as a pest and have to be heavily culled anyway so why not? People need to stop being so squeamish about their meats.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Has anyone said SPAM? Fine, I'll do it. SPAM.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Valko posted:

You are really missing out. I have eaten wild rabbits and hares and like you say, kind of a lot like tastier chicken. It has a mildly gamey flavour - you can tell that it eats wild grasses and herbs but it is not overly strong like wild goose, duck or venison. My dad used to hunt hares all the time and take them home and make a big pot of stew with carrots, onions, streaky smoked bacon and just a little bit of water. That was really all that was needed to make something incredibly tasty. Unfortunately this can't be done nowadays because hares are endangered and it's illegal to hunt them. It's not a good idea to eat wild rabbits where I'm from (Ireland btw) since a lot of them have myxomatosis these days. If I happen to see a rabbit that actually looks healthy I look for my rifle because it's a rare thing.

Oh, I believe that wild rabbit is delicious.
I've only had the farm raised stuff on alfalfa and herbs and such.
The only venison I've had has been either jerky (just fine) or processed/frozen to the point of being gamey and ...meh. It's certainly not intolerable, just 'pffft' when compared to decent beef. I think it's an experience thing, totally.
If it was totally fresh, I bet it's great. The stuff I've been subjected to has been butchered to the point of being 99% lean and frozen first or made into summersausage which isn't really comparable I don't think.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Pork is pretty underwhelming. Like it's fine but I've never had a bite of a pork product and had a moment of pure bliss like I've had with beef, poultry, game meat, and seafood.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

There’s good pork, we just haven’t embraced it as a culture. Tacos al pastor are one of the better foods on the planet, pork chops are dreary

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Deer chili was how I got paid to tutor my best friend in jr/sr high school. His dad said he was getting ripped off because he worked late and never got any, even though my friend went from D’s and F’s to A’s and B’s.

He died a few years ago when a log fell off a tree and crushed him. His widow now sends huge pots full of the chili to me because my friend knocked up a college freshman and ran off to join the Navy.

She makes it because she has two other sons that are married and have kids living on the 1,000+ acre ranch and everybody hunts. Her grandkids call me “Uncle,” and the girls make up a huge fryer to cook duck fat freedom fries they either bring over close to Christmas or overnight it to me because I’m always a step away from the nervous hospital.

I still have email conversations with my friend and actually fill him in with family and town gossip. He’s still in the Navy and has never ever even started a conversation about Bitcoin so I still talk to him on the phone when he can talk.

TL;DR: you haven’t had good chili without venison and if you want to cut down on other foods duck fat fries are so good you will never eat fast food fries again!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DerekSmartymans posted:

Deer chili was how I got paid to tutor my best friend in jr/sr high school. His dad said he was getting ripped off because he worked late and never got any, even though my friend went from D’s and F’s to A’s and B’s.

He died a few years ago when a log fell off a tree and crushed him. His widow now sends huge pots full of the chili to me because my friend knocked up a college freshman and ran off to join the Navy.

She makes it because she has two other sons that are married and have kids living on the 1,000+ acre ranch and everybody hunts. Her grandkids call me “Uncle,” and the girls make up a huge fryer to cook duck fat freedom fries they either bring over close to Christmas or overnight it to me because I’m always a step away from the nervous hospital.

I still have email conversations with my friend and actually fill him in with family and town gossip. He’s still in the Navy and has never ever even started a conversation about Bitcoin so I still talk to him on the phone when he can talk.

TL;DR: you haven’t had good chili without venison and if you want to cut down on other foods duck fat fries are so good you will never eat fast food fries again!

Lol freedom fries

But drat venison chili is good, jerky, sticks, all kinds of good eating.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Real Mean Queen posted:

There’s good pork, we just haven’t embraced it as a culture. Tacos al pastor are one of the better foods on the planet, pork chops are dreary

Yeah but even embracing meats of other cultures beef and seafood are generally better. Like, a good lengua taco is loving life changing. Sushi in Japan, fresh ceviche in Peru, etc.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Maine lobster.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
meat

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene

Dont Touch ME posted:

Maine lobster.

Is it better than Cap Cod lobster?

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
A proper lamb chop is a wonderful thing. Inch and a half thick, it can be baked, broiled, bbqed just fine. Do a little rub if needed or just salt and pepper. Serve it with some cooked greens, maybe some garlic mash potatoes, red wine. It can be a dining experience bordering on epiphany.

Had it in restaurants in various cities. Had it farm fresh from neighbors raising their own animals. Basic cooking skill required, but done well, it is awesome.

It may not be popular and mainstream, but a good lamb chop is out there, with your goony name on it. Try it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
meat’s meat, and a man’s gotta eat!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

WatermelonGun posted:

meat’s meat, and a man’s gotta eat!

Wth is this? Dark video can’t see poo poo with subtitles of?

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

DerekSmartymans posted:

Get to the chili recipe already!

TUNAFISHING 87
Dec 20, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

turkey is the meat you have at your two biggest annual celebrations - thanksgiving, and your birthday

the mandatory birthday turkey is always unpleasant but you can't say it's not universal

What the hell? birthday turkey? what the hell?

I Googled looking for turkey being mentioned as a birthday food and it is not.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

nuclearBarbarian posted:

The humble ortolan

Did you cover your head with a napkin to hide your deed from the almighty?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lol but seriously I posted:

i say that it is pork. consider:

1) all of the other three you can just toss in a pan and fry but pork is at it's best when filled with preservatives or amalgamated (ie bacon/sausage)
2) only meat where the veggie version can compete as an equal (sausages)
3) neither halal nor kosher

I vote beef because it does more environmental damage than a metric gently caress ton of coal factories.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tacos de lengua is one thing.

Eating your first hand shelled crab/lobster and dipping it into hot, clarified butter is another thing.

Eating a lambchop with mashed potatoes and collards is not QUITE that kind of thing. I'm sorry. Don't get me wrong at all, please! They are delicious and unique and they own. They aren't some kind of unique culinary nirvana imo however. I mean, poo poo, send me yours if you DON'T like them or whatever, because christ knows I do, I just don't see them as this eye opening life changing culinary thing.

poo poo, learning to enjoy different types of fresh oysters was more rewarding for me

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

poopnanners posted:

Get to the chili recipe already!

Can’t. She never taught me how to make it for myself. I think she is just a little lonely and she’s always asking about my boy and my family are doing and getting updates on our lives. I’m just glad that her grandkids love her and will actually go check on her if I call them.

Lol she still won’t give them the deer chili recipe until they get married :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

DerekSmartymans posted:

Can’t. She never taught me how to make it for myself. I think she is just a little lonely and she’s always asking about my boy and my family are doing and getting updates on our lives. I’m just glad that her grandkids love her and will actually go check on her if I call them.

Lol she still won’t give them the deer chili recipe until they get married :discourse:

Here's a hint:

It's coarse ground venison
2 onions, finely diced
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato paste
dried cumin
dried oregano
a bunch of chili powder (and maybe some cayenne)
A seeded, diced poblano pepper
3-4 cloves of smashed, chopped garlic
Couple tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
Beef stock from a box.

If you do beans, it's 1-2 cans of "chili beans" of your preference.

You'll figure out the ratio after 1 or 2 tries.

Now you don't have to wait for death.