Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

AradoBalanga posted:

I have one piece of advice for anyone when they trigger Mr. X: DO NOT STAND UNDER THE LADDER IN THE LIBRARY. Guess what Mr. X can do? You guessed it, he can jump down and outright Goomba Stomp your rear end dead.

No, I totally did not make that mistake in my run, why do you ask?

I blame you for this.

Bonus - X Gon' Stomp Ya

Also full disclosure, I have the DMX and Beachboy X mods on right now, I'm using the DLC Noir outfit for Claire and I've got one of the bonus unlockable weapons equipped.

(I just recorded and uploaded this so don't mind if it's potato quality right now at the time of this post.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

I blame you for this.

Bonus - X Gon' Stomp Ya

Also full disclosure, I have the DMX and Beachboy X mods on right now, I'm using the DLC Noir outfit for Claire and I've got one of the bonus unlockable weapons equipped.

(I just recorded and uploaded this so don't mind if it's potato quality right now at the time of this post.)
I take full responsibility for my actions.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That Beachboy X is... something, alright.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Crane Fist posted:

That Beachboy X is... something, alright.

When did this become a Cho Aniki LP?

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
DMX mod link?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

ChaosArgate posted:

I blame you for this.

Bonus - X Gon' Stomp Ya

This is glorious and I'm very happy to see you using all three of those things in unison.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Usually I watch informative horror games because the LPer knows what's going on and their calm attitude helps me keep from screaming. Mr. X is one of the first enemies to actually scare me a bit even with your "oh hi there! :D" commentary.

But this video has killed all fear I've ever had for him, so thank you for this.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Charlett posted:

Usually I watch informative horror games because the LPer knows what's going on and their calm attitude helps me keep from screaming. Mr. X is one of the first enemies to actually scare me a bit even with your "oh hi there! :D" commentary.

But this video has killed all fear I've ever had for him, so thank you for this.

You should see the mod where he has squeaky shoes.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oh right this would be a good time to link this avatar I made here, for anyone who wants it.

stryth posted:

DMX mod link?

Here you go, but there are some minor spoilers in it for the LP, so click at your own risk!

Charlett posted:

Mr. X is just so wonderful. The first few playthroughs you do, he's absolutely terrifying and will put the fear of god into you, then you get used to him and learn how to manage having a terminator chase you and you get comfortable, but he can still put the fear of god into you by coming out of nowhere and giving it to ya, and then mods turn him into a wonderful experience in many flavors. :allears:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I really don't see how he is scary so long as he doesn't chase you with a rocket launcher or full sprint.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Now someone needs to do a version where his theme music is the mashup with "Call Me Maybe".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

EDIT: Also, wow, computer monitors with backs to them. How did we survive the 90's with our backs intact?

Today I had to connect something to the back of a TV standing against the wall, so I just picked up the TV and plugged it in. Felt bizarre. Though that's partially because I only recently got rid of my old TV, which was a CRT with a nice big back that I *could* carry one-handed if I leaned as far as I could to the side so it balanced on my hip, leaving the other hand free for doorknobs.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

I really don't see how he is scary so long as he doesn't chase you with a rocket launcher or full sprint.
It has less to do with overall character design, and more with environment design. Part of the fear factor with Mr. X (in this version, at least) is that the RPD has been redesigned, and as a result, what tactics worked for the PS1 don't always work for the remake. Here, you can't simply time a dodge to avoid Mr. X and get away scot free. Since Mr. X patrols the RPD when he's active, he has almost the same amount of access as the player does to the building, meaning that Mr. X can appear in rooms where he makes things worse. Lickers + Mr. X is an absolutely nasty combination to run into, to the point I'd almost consider it a no-win scenario. Do you fight the Lickers and alert Mr. X and the Lickers? Do you try to sneak past the Lickers and risk Mr. X punching you into a Licker (since he can catch up to a slowly walking Claire/Leon easily), thus causing the Licker to be aggressive? Even small hordes of regular zombies and Mr. X can be bad because a zombie could bite your ankle, trapping you in place while Mr. X walks over to give it to you. Basically, the remake has redesigned Mr. X to work with the environment in a much more fluid manner than in the PS1 original, and people expecting him to behave like he did in the old days get a very rude awakening when Mr. X reveals he is a much more serious threat this time around.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

azren
Feb 14, 2011

That was pretty intense! :stare:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did Irons phase through that wall when he first talked to Sherry?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Half an hour earlier..."
*runs over in 5 minutes*

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Huh. I was not expecting that plot twist at the end to get revealed so fast.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did Irons phase through that wall when he first talked to Sherry?

Yes. There's a video (which I won't link because it has spoilers, but it was mentioned by CA in a previous LP video) that shows all out of bounds things, among which the fact that X actually patrols the station and that Irons is actually outside the room when he talks to Sherry, and phases through the wall while leaving.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
When that second head pops up I always imagine it going "CALL ME FUN DAD!"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"Fee fi fo fum" popped in my head when he was looking for Sherry in that room.

EDIT: Only asking because it wouldn't be the first time it happened on SA but could X's hat be a reference to TDI's LP of the original?

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 19, 2019

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So in the end, G-Man gave it to X, not the other way around.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

"Fee fi fo fum" popped in my head when he was looking for Sherry in that room.

EDIT: Only asking because it wouldn't be the first time it happened on SA but could X's hat be a reference to TDI's LP of the original?

That would be amazing if true.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

AradoBalanga posted:

So in the end, G-Man gave it to X, not the other way around.
drat. He won't be in the sequel.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

azren posted:

That was pretty intense! :stare:
Yeah, I kind of prefer Leon's playthrough for the fact alone that his equivalent section doesn't make you feel quite so disturbingly helpless. It's not even actually hard, but it's really uncomfortable your first time through.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Does Sherry still have her insane HP pool? I remember as a kid her getting attacked an awful lot and just shrugging it off.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
No, there isn't actually anything in this section where you control her that could do you any conventional harm. It's all cutscene based.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So thats where the missing file was lol.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

So thats where the missing file was lol.

Yeah that's one of the ones people tend to miss. I'm missing one though and its not that one and I have no idea what it is! :negative:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I think that Irons has probably my least favorite character change of the remake cast. He used to be a pretentious ham, waxing philosophical and bemoaning the state of his city, whereas in this version he’s just a slimy bully. It’s probably more believable, but it’s a lot less nuanced.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah that's one of the ones people tend to miss. I'm missing one though and its not that one and I have no idea what it is! :negative:

Apparently, so do I.

I need to look these up

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Blastinus posted:

I think that Irons has probably my least favorite character change of the remake cast. He used to be a pretentious ham, waxing philosophical and bemoaning the state of his city, whereas in this version he’s just a slimy bully. It’s probably more believable, but it’s a lot less nuanced.
He was also a rapist who got away with it because the dean of his college covered for him, which is something they got rid of entirely. "Slimy bully" is a bit of a step up from that, if you ask me.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Why is he sticking around, anyways? Things have clearly gotten out of hand at this point, and there's not much damage control he can do.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In the original, he finds out that he's probably infected himself and there's just nowhere left for him to go, so he decides to make a point of just ruining as much as he can for any survivors that are actually left. Like, he basically hosed up the entire RPD's response to the zombies etc. simply out of frustrated rage at knowing he was going to die and he couldn't do a single thing to stop it. It's why in the original game, there is no weapon locker room - everything was scattered through the station randomly on his command and some threadbare excuse about terrorism.

As I said on the previous page, his actions in this game would make a lot more sense based on things that are only true in the previous game, but yeah, there's not actually much that explains why he even sticks around at all.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

The ones that got me were that each B scenario has 2 additional files, 1 in the STARS office and (mild location spoiler) one next to the cable car. I somehow missed the one in the STARS office on Claire B. Maybe you're missing one of those?

Anyway, loving the LP, I love the game but am always too tense to really stop and appreciate the scenary so I appreciate this run :)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Why is he sticking around, anyways? Things have clearly gotten out of hand at this point, and there's not much damage control he can do.
I brought up my theory in the megathread, but I see Irons' actions here as his attempt to scam Umbrella out of money by exploiting what he knows about the company's shadier sides. He was brought on to provide private security for the labs, and probably has some degree of knowledge of what Umbrella was up to. The addition of the orphanage reveals that Irons is more directly complicit in the destruction of Raccoon City (by providing test subjects to Umbrella via orphaned children), rather than being an unfortunate (but still partially complicit) victim slowly going mad over time like in the original. Thus, he knows that if the outbreak is brought under control, eventually whatever government investigation comes about will connect the dots and lead back to him. So, I believe that Irons, using the information he has learned from his private security dealings, plans to either embezzle money from Umbrella or outright blackmail them into giving him whatever he wants. The problem is that the presentation is very vague and it either feels like a section of the story got left on the cutting room floor or the staff expected some familiarity with the original when coming into the game, and figured they could get away with not having to fill in the blanks.

Unless Capcom has a Ghost Survivors episode reserved for Irons where everything is explained, that is.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Isnt it more simple to assume he just wants the G and the vaccine? He knew Birkin was working on it and he apparently found out where it was stored and how to access it. He only needed the key.

He knew it was valuable because Birkin promised him a lot of money if they made it out in one piece.

My guess is he was hunting for Sherry immediately after Birkin got screwed over but Sherry dissapeared until Claire found her. He even says "I've been looking for you everywhere" implying the only reason he stayed was for the pendant.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 21, 2019

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
That does explain a couple of his actions, I think that's probable.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think the orphanage was added so they can connect it to the plot of a future Resident Evil Survivor, where they needed children for their brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It annoys me sooo much that she just doesn't tear the ductaped cardboard of the wall.