Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:
:siren:THIS GAME IS SUPER GORY, DON'T WATCH IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO THAT.:siren:

Capcom's Resident Evil franchise is one of the most celebrated in gaming history, being the series that both created and put the survival horror genre on the map. The original games were smash hits on the PS1 for providing a unique gameplay experience defined by frantic survival with a strong emphasis on conservative play. The original game was set in an abandoned mansion, starring Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine, members of the elite task force known as S.T.A.R.S., as they try to unravel the mysteries of the mansion and escape the ghastly monsters that lurk within. The game, directed by Shinji Mikami and originally conceived as a remake of an old Famicom RPG, known as Sweet Home, itself a video game tie in to a horror movie of the same name, went on to become a smash hit worldwide, prompting Capcom, who had a phenomenal track record with sequels that greatly surpassed their predecessors like Mega Man 2 or Street Fighter 2, to strike again while the iron was hot and begin planning a sequel.

The sequel was to be directed by a fresh faced Hideki Kamiya, who nowadays is known for acclaimed titles like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta and Okami. The story was meant to be a loosely connected sequel that would also definitively conclude the franchise and starred two new protagonists who didn't have any experience with life-or-death situations; Leon S. Kennedy, a rookie cop, and Elza Walker, a college student and motorcycle racer. The plot featured a viral outbreak in the fictional Raccoon City that turned its populace into feral zombies and was centered around its two protagonists' desperate struggle to escape. The game's development seemed to progress smoothly, but it was believed that the game that was being developed was far less than the sum of its parts and was eventually scrapped about 80% of the way through development to try and make a game that surpassed its predecessor. The game's plot was reworked to end on a less conclusive note, opening the way to a franchise and the character of Elza Walker was revised into Claire Redfield, the sister of one of the protagonists of the original game, clearly defining a connection between the two titles. This version of the game went on to become a smash hit and quickly became one of the most beloved games of the newly established Resident Evil series. The game we're playing in this thread is that game's remake.

In 2002, Capcom released what is quite possibly one of the greatest video game remakes of all time with the GameCube version of the original Resident Evil. The game was redone from the ground up; the plot and structure were the same, but the finer details were reimagined and expanded on; it was beloved by fans and made them clamor for more. The next logical step would have been a remake of RE2 in this style, right? Unfortunately, the fans' wishes would go unfulfilled for another 13 years, until Capcom finally announced that they had begun remaking RE2 in 2015. "Remake" might not be the correct term to describe this game, however, as its less of a straight remake and more of a complete reimagining of the original title, built from the ground up to marry the actionized gameplay of later RE games with the intense survival horror of the earlier ones.

This will be an informative LP where I show off Claire's campaign and as much content as I can manage. I'm joined by my friend liquidypoo, who will complement my run of Claire's story by showcasing Leon's, so we can present the full story of the Raccoon City incident. I'll try to release episodes once or twice a week, but no promises. This game's still relatively new, so :siren:No spoilers:siren:. In addition, this game is suuuuuuuuuper gory and grizzly thanks to Capcom's new RE Engine and its super photorealistic style, so if that stuff bothers you at all, it might be best not to watch the videos.

Claire - A

Leon - B

Alternate Game Modes

Bonus
First Person Stream 1 - Leon A-1
X Gon' Stomp Ya
Exploring the Gas Station

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RESERVED

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Reserved

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nice!! This is a great game and very much worth covering, and a fun way to present it too. Definitely looking forward to this. Good luck guys!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Can't wait to see what I'm missing out on 'cause I'm a big baby about these games.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Something worth noting is that since I'm covering the Leon playthrough to complement Argate's Claire, the bulk of my commentary is gonna be backloaded in this LP. You won't hear much of me in the beginning, but I'll be around for the latter half. Gonna hear a lot of me then.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, that jog to the station is way longer in the original RE2. The original also seemingly assumes you've played the first game and know your way around the tank controls, so that opening gauntlet can be pretty rough for a new player.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Doc M posted:

Yeah, that jog to the station is way longer in the original RE2. The original also seemingly assumes you've played the first game and know your way around the tank controls, so that opening gauntlet can be pretty rough for a new player.

Not to mention there is an entire sequence that has both been moved and shortened from the original. Those who have played both know what I'm talking about. Just glad it got a call back, however little.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Y'all just saved me from weakening and spending money I didn't have so thank you

EDIT: Also, is it just me, or does Claire's face look kinda like Saddler's from Resident Evil 4? Or Salazar. The short one

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 2, 2019

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Y'all just saved me from weakening and spending money I didn't have so thank you

EDIT: Also, is it just me, or does Claire's face look kinda like Saddler's from Resident Evil 4? Or Salazar. The short one

Look man, you can't have a name like that and not experience the fall of Raccoon City for yourself. :colbert:

(realtalk, I do hope you consider picking up this game when you can, its legit wonderful)

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Nothing wrong with saving money, friend. However, when the budget allows for it, absolutely pick up RE2make! I know every LPer says this, but there's definitely a little something lost in translation between watching the gameplay and experiencing it for yourself.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh it's definitely on my list of things to buy. It was my first non-Zelda/Metroid/Mario/Castlevania videogame, so it holds a place near and dear to my heart. And second of all, it looks absolutely amazing. In particular, I couldn't stopl looking at Claire's jacket in the rain.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

as a veteran, when I first loaded the game I turned around to run away after the truck explosion because...that's muscle memory from the original game :v: I was honestly kind of surprised that they made the opening jaunt to the RPD so streamlined

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This game is one of the most genuinely stressful things I've ever played, it's absolutely amazing what a good job they did with it. There are so many elements that could have ruined it but somehow it all came together

My only beef with it is that keys don't get autodiscarded when you've opened every lock with them, which sent me back and forth from various item boxes in the grips of item OCD so many times

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Having started driving in the 90s, gas prices were magical back then. Putting $5 in the tank would get you a decent amount of a half tank in your mid 80s era sedan beater that you picked up for under $800.

A lot of the time they'd be under a dollar, too.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
My state taxes the hell out of us in gas tax, so by the time we get cheap gas in a number of years, it would be double the average.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Just started my 4th playthrough of this game. It's just so good. Every bit as good as the REmake of RE1.

There are people saying we dont need a remake of RE4 but I think they could do wonders with current tech. I could see the village looking a bit like the Baker residence from RE7 and they could so some really creepy poo poo with the body snatching Plagas.

Or maybe I just want to suplex some fools

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I've followed a livestream of the Leon A + Claire B paths, and I'm also following this, because I want to see the differences between Claire A and Claire B but mostly because this game really merits watching several LPs of it. I only regret I don't have the hardware to run this, I would love to play it myself.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hey, I might do a stream of the first person mod of this game later tonight in like an hour, in case anyone wants to watch. It should be obvious but I’m gonna be playing well past where the LP actually is, so spoiler warning!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You know what that is incredibly rude because I have to be up at 5 so I can't watch

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ChaosArgate posted:

Hey, I might do a stream of the first person mod of this game later tonight in like an hour, in case anyone wants to watch. It should be obvious but I’m gonna be playing well past where the LP actually is, so spoiler warning!
Will you show off other mods as well? I just heard of a clothing change for a tall spoiler fellow.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

We're going live shortly at https://twitch.tv/chaosargate!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Will you show off other mods as well? I just heard of a clothing change for a tall spoiler fellow.

I've got one on but I haven't installed any real cosmetic mods yet. Just the real obvious one.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Yesssssss been waiting for someone to take this up. Count me in boss. :rock:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Thanks for coming to the stream, I'll see about getting the VOD up soon in case anyone wanted to see the first person mod but missed out! In the meantime though, episode 2'll be up tomorrow.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh word is the first person mod actually any good or just a novelty thing?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Expert mode and buggy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

Oh word is the first person mod actually any good or just a novelty thing?

It's a liiiiittle janky, but its a fun and super stressful way of playing the game! As it turns out, when you can only see in one direction, things absolutely can and will creep up on you! It also might cause motion sickness because the camera is bound to the character, and as you can imagine, the characters bob up and down a lot when they're sprinting and that's suuuuuuuper noticeable in first person mode.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I kinda want that lamp from the photolab desk. Do you think it's safe to go there now so I can take it?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I take it the darkroom only gets dark when you develop the film.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

So here's the VOD from last night if anyone wanted to watch it but couldn't. This naturally has spoilers for what's coming up in the LP and goes up to roughly halfway into episode 6ish of the Claire playthrough of the LP, so spoiler warning! Also yes, I know my audio is kinda quiet and only coming out of the left channel. I'm bad at audio mixing for streams, but I at least have the second problem fixed for future streams.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I kinda want that lamp from the photolab desk. Do you think it's safe to go there now so I can take it?

Should be fine, I don't think I left anything alive in that hallway and the window's all boarded up!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Glad to see someone taking on this game. Definitely going to be following. That said, I do not blame you for not shooting for 100% files Argate, since some of those are in really annoying places. And that's not even taking into account a few that are "same file for both characters, but we changed two words so they're counted as completely different files for the records."

Marvin is also interesting because he is one of the big character-dependent changes for the game. He acts and talks differently depending on which character he meets first. That said, I do kind of wish we got more of Marvin as seen in Claire's scenario in the trailers, since a good bunch of Marvin's trailer blurbs come from Leon's scenario.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ChaosArgate posted:

So here's the VOD from last night if anyone wanted to watch it but couldn't. This naturally has spoilers for what's coming up in the LP and goes up to roughly halfway into episode 6ish of the Claire playthrough of the LP, so spoiler warning! Also yes, I know my audio is kinda quiet and only coming out of the left channel. I'm bad at audio mixing for streams, but I at least have the second problem fixed for future streams.

Woof, I can see what people meant about the motion sickness from the head bobbing

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I noticed you didn't mention focusing your shots is a thing in this game. It increases dmg if you wait for the crosshair to shrink.

That said, Claire's revolver is actually little different, it doesn't benefit from focus shots as much as other handguns (30 % while others get 50 %).

While body shots do roughly the same amount of dmg, hitting the head has a critical hit chance, like in previous REs. Still, the safest strategy is usually to go for body shots (Or leg shots if you are confident you can avoid that zombie later in the game)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I noticed you didn't mention focusing your shots is a thing in this game. It increases dmg if you wait for the crosshair to shrink.

That said, Claire's revolver is actually little different, it doesn't benefit from focus shots as much as other handguns (30 % while others get 50 %).

While body shots do roughly the same amount of dmg, hitting the head has a critical hit chance, like in previous REs. Still, the safest strategy is usually to go for body shots (Or leg shots if you are confident you can avoid that zombie later in the game)

I mention it in a later video is why. :v: I didn’t realize Claire’s revolver got less bonus damage though, that’s pretty interesting.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I feel like they have some kind of aversion to giving Claire good weapons. The Crossbow in the original was trash. And the big fuckoff taser. She does get the grenade launcher, though.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Re2make has some dmg calculations that arent explained anywhere in the game but make a pretty big difference.

For example some enemies are resistant to certain weapons so you might end up wasting more ammo than you should have

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am definitely getting the codes for the hip bags ahead of time.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I was that kid who kept every key item I could because "what if it unlocks a super-awesome secret?". drat Capcom for hiding their bonus stuff behind things like "being good at the game"!

Also, I have this mental image of Claire carrying a potted plant under one arm and her gun in the other hand shooting zombies and it's getting me through work

EDIT: Also, wow, computer monitors with backs to them. How did we survive the 90's with our backs intact?

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You don't have massive 5k monitors towering over you?
I think the next decade had CRT that were as long as my monitor is wide, if not longer. Like holding a child. Those monitors don't have small screens either.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 8, 2019