Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Ultima Online was superior. R.I.P dead guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Everybody puts on the rose-tinted goggles for the MMO they played as a kid or whatever but in reality, they're all the loving same and poo poo like "not having a map" didn't make the experience better, it's just your nostalgia, hope this helps OP
There is some truth in this, but it's not the whole truth. In the pre-WoW era of MMOs devs were willing and able to take design risks, and some truly great - or at least interesting and unique - games emerged as a result: Shadowbane, Ultima, DAoC, EQ etc.

That no longer seems to be the case, every publisher just wants a piece of the the WoW money-pie, so they churn out cookie cutter themepark MMOs and wonder why they go free to play in 18 months and disappear altogether after a few years.

Crypto Cobain fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 22, 2019

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Ultima Online was superior. R.I.P dead guy.
:hellyeah:

Ultima Online at least gave you the impression that you could play and enjoy yourself without it being a full-time job. I never made it to level 25 in EverQuest with any character because I would, like, go on a date or visit my parents or something, and by the time I got back to my computer everyone I was playing with had gained another 10 levels and would not group with me anymore. I suppose I should be thankful that the game was designed so terribly for my needs, as it meant I also played all the single-player games of the 2000s instead of being like my friends who went from EverQuest 8+ hours a day to World of Warcraft 8+ hours a day

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I just want my old character kitted out the same as it was without the grind. That seems reasonable right?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

putting on my flowing black silk sash in solemnity, but then the haste makes me too speedy to act properly solemn

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Cat Feathers posted:

Because I am still scared of NDAs but I have tales for days.

Guy's dead; you're fine.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Caesar Saladin posted:

putting on my flowing black silk sash in solemnity, but then the haste makes me too speedy to act properly solemn

I had a cloak of flames. Utterly wasted on a paladin but man, it made soloing possible in kunark.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

drat me and a buddy were talking about EQ and reminiscing the day he died apparently. We started laughing and making fun of “The Vision” I think that must have been what killed him.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

I remember being so happy getting the Pearl Kedge Totem after camping Dagnor's Cauldron for like a million hours to win the Bilge Farfathanon spawn+proper loot drop coin flips. EQ was magical but I'm not sure whether that is more attributed to the game itself or my age at the time. Probably both. I bet older nerds have similar feelings for games like Gemstone III or Federation.

Also, dish out the good GM tales!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Laopooh posted:

I remember being so happy getting the Pearl Kedge Totem after camping Dagnor's Cauldron for like a million hours to win the Bilge Farfathanon spawn+proper loot drop coin flips. EQ was magical but I'm not sure whether that is more attributed to the game itself or my age at the time. Probably both. I bet older nerds have similar feelings for games like Gemstone III or Federation.
A guy I grew up with got stuck on Infocom games as the last era of magical video games, and spends his free time doing things like building Heathkit computers. I have no idea how his adoration for games had already peaked by like age 7, or how he got into things that predate him, I guess you never know what specific era your nerdlust will crystallize around.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
EQ made me the man I am today.

So long story short, EQ loving sucks.

Cat Feathers
Apr 13, 2002

Soiled Meat

Laopooh posted:

Also, dish out the good GM tales!

We dreamt of having a GM-Only band called Bilge Farfathom and the Loam-Encrusted Pantaloons.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
i played a troll shadowknight from launch until a few expansions in. didnt know any better and just picked some random poo poo. that race/class combo in the early years was basically like just punching yourself in the dick over and over again. double xp penalty, one for being a troll cause you got the incredibly useless passive regen of like 1hp a month, and a huge hybrid class penalty for being a shadowknight, which was basically a complete useless and poo poo warrior with some of a necros spells, only you got like level 10 necro spells at like level 30 so they were completely useless. oh cool a 25 hp dot at level 30 when enemies have like a thousand hit points dope, oh and my pet with like 50hp that dies when they get looked at and hits for 4hp. just mind blowing terrible game design. also, the double xp penalty meant it took me forever to level compared to everyone, a huge punishment for picking an already useless class. no one wanted to group with me and i dont blame them. i knew how poo poo my class was but fuuuuuck starting over. also since i was evil i was kos nearly everywhere, and not nearly good or efficient enough at killing poo poo to upgrade my faction with them without it taking 500 years. i never made it past level 40.

still i played a lot and enjoyed the overall experience of the game and like many others feel there has never been anything like it since. i wish i had picked a not useless class. i really don't mind that the game was unforgiving as hell and of course was a big part of what made it so good, but it still bothers me when i think about how loving god awful certain classes were early on. stuff like that was just utterly terrible design and not in any way charming or a fair challenge. i missed out on a ton of the game by virtue of being so dogshit. all my friends were doing cool poo poo, going to cool higher level zones/dungeons that i never saw even though i played about as much as them.

Damo fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 22, 2019

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

It's funny because SKs were actually obscenely good tanks back then but nobody realized it, disease cloud and clinging darkness generated more aggro than anything else in the game so you could lock down mobs with 1 or 2 casts and once mobs started being immune to fear you could add that to the mix for even more aggro

Modern SKs are the most played class now and if you're good at playing one (most people aren't, it's simple to do once you spend 8 hours setting up buttons and 8 months farming augs though but honestly there's no fan documentation so good luck with that) you're an unstoppable blender of death and I don't think anyone saw that coming years ago. It takes like 4 seconds to pull a pack of 8 mobs and set up 4 of them to be single-pulled one after the other if you can't just handle all at once and since you can keybind hotswap to sword-and-board and 2hander you can whip your shield out when you take damage to give you time to lifetap it all back, then swap back to a 2hander for your best Guts impression, all while chaingunning aggro or lifetaps for either massive aggro or massive healing+dps respectively. Also, the current SK pet is a viable offtank, I will sometimes let him tank the last mob in a pull when that mob is nearly dead and run off and pull the next mobs

The game has changed a ton since ye olden days, they did away with race and class xp penalties ages ago and people are generally a lot less picky with who they invite to groups, instead of looking for war cleric chanter first they look anyone-who-can-tank (including mage pets, bst pets etc) followed by "who loving cares just invite everyone who can dps good" (also you can hire healer NPCs that suck rear end but are good enough to muddle through group content), occasionally they'll spice things up for hard missions by inviting someone who can mez (still the domain of enchanters and bards) or root or just more tanks and pets. Plus it's actually possible to get good gear without raiding, not as easy as Kunark but way better than Planes of Power or Gates of Discord

I don't think former EQ addicts who value their social and romantic lives should get back into the game but the modern game is a lot less frustrating than it used to be, and that's even taking into consideration how overtuned the current expansion is (not as bad as say, Gates of Discord though, you can actually complete all of the group content in current EQ using only non-raid gear without super specialized group comps and all 3 tanks are more than viable for tanking ANY content including raid bosses)

TL;DR "the vision" was a cool idea but the game sucks a lot less without it, roll a shadowknight and name him Guttss

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Damo posted:

i played a troll shadowknight from launch until a few expansions in. didnt know any better and just picked some random poo poo. that race/class combo in the early years was basically like just punching yourself in the dick over and over again. double xp penalty, one for being a troll cause you got the incredibly useless passive regen of like 1hp a month, and a huge hybrid class penalty for being a shadowknight, which was basically a complete useless and poo poo warrior with some of a necros spells, only you got like level 10 necro spells at like level 30 so they were completely useless. oh cool a 25 hp dot at level 30 when enemies have like a thousand hit points dope, oh and my pet with like 50hp that dies when they get looked at and hits for 4hp. just mind blowing terrible game design. also, the double xp penalty meant it took me forever to level compared to everyone, a huge punishment for picking an already useless class. no one wanted to group with me and i dont blame them. i knew how poo poo my class was but fuuuuuck starting over. also since i was evil i was kos nearly everywhere, and not nearly good or efficient enough at killing poo poo to upgrade my faction with them without it taking 500 years. i never made it past level 40.

still i played a lot and enjoyed the overall experience of the game and like many others feel there has never been anything like it since. i wish i had picked a not useless class. i really don't mind that the game was unforgiving as hell and of course was a big part of what made it so good, but it still bothers me when i think about how loving god awful certain classes were early on. stuff like that was just utterly terrible design and not in any way charming or a fair challenge. i missed out on a ton of the game by virtue of being so dogshit. all my friends were doing cool poo poo, going to cool higher level zones/dungeons that i never saw even though i played about as much as them.

Wow, I'm honestly impressed you played so much and still don't seem to know gently caress all.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Fanelien posted:

I played EQ pretty much religiously from late beta(98 to about 06) most of that time in release in top or second tier raiding guilds. Racing for Trakanon, or Emp, 12 hour Vex Thal raids. Played a wizard pretty much the entire time. Good times. It wasn't a perfect game by any means but it had a real challenge to it that required teamwork to get out of that first stage of the game which later games didn't, you could essentially play single player right to the top in a more modern MMO without much interaction. EQ forced you to group if you wanted to get past say level 35-40 unless you were very patient and exceptionally good at soloing as the game didn't give you the tools to solo well even on solo friendly classes like Necro or Wizard as the big XP areas had the ability to kill you with minor mistakes(Plane of Fire tables, you agg the front guards and you could be handling 30 elementals in seconds).

Made some friends who are still in contact with me to this day, admittedly sporadic. Though the commitment to the game may have been to the detriment of my education. My EQ career ended when I met the woman who is now my wife, and I don't regret the decision to let the game go at all.

Still occasionally boot the game up, play for a month and let it lapse just for fun.

RIP Brad McQuaid, thanks for the fun, thanks for being one of the more entertaining developers in the MMO industry rather than the carefully stage managed interactions from Blizzard etc.

I often consider booting up P99, but I no longer have the time to commit to such gaming experiences. Too old, too many responsibilities.

Great post.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Wow, I'm honestly impressed you played so much and still don't seem to know gently caress all.

Why don't you tell us how it really is Mr. Erudite, or does a Kobold got your tongue?

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

"Shitposters like you have ruined your own lands, you'll not ruin mine!"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I assume Pantheon Rise of the Fallen is pretty much a dead MMO now? As if it wasn't already before.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Went into crystal caverns for the first time last night, the area with the orcs mining is one hell of a maze and the maps suck poo poo. I accidentally dropped my mage down the main shaft and it pulled like 15 orcs. The maze of tunnels with drops everywhere feels more dangerous than any of the orcs do but they're all loving runners. I might try again tonight, I know there's some neat areas inside that I'd like to explore.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I play call of duty and nhl

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
People still playing Everquest to this day.

I guess it was well named.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

SilvergunSuperman posted:

i was only like 16 or so. i didnt really know what the hell i was doing. i played a lot for me, but compared to others it was probably nothing. also that was like 20 years ago my memory might be a bit foggy. never claimed to be an expert or that i played like super seriously.

maybe you had some insider knowledge about how shadowknights were actually good, but my distant memories were that groups would rather have basically any other class. sure shadowknights had some pulling options, but why pick one when you could have a monk or some poo poo. i never seemed to be anywhere near a necessary class that provided anything unique, or even equal usefulness to other classes. i just was sharing my experience. if u would like you can educate me about what i was wrong about in this game i haven't played since 2001. maybe poo poo drastically changed after kunark? i think i played through kunark and stopped.